PDA

View Full Version : help/encouragement badly needed

April1
February 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone i have been here for some time now, but just dont come on here very often at all. Anyway i need some advice, encouragement, or anything at all really to get my hair a bit longer again, and in resonable condition.

I have a hair condition/disorder called pilli torti that cannot be changed, and will try to upload a pic....its quite revolting, but it is under a strong light to make it more noticable, and taken before i put jojoba oil into it...which does calm it and make it noticably more presentable...if not i would have shaved my head by now. The next thing ive done, is, to be able to wear my hair down when going out somewhere nice, i have to use hot irons on it...which makes it look fantastic, but the obvious catch 22 situation is that even with heat protection sprays etc, my hair is so fine that it has killed it to a very bad state....SO, i have dsecided to get the chop again, even though it doesnt suit me, its so much healthier, and im still able to just put it up. Now the only thing that makes my hair look in really good condition is to have a hairdresser put a semi colour into it...that is the only thing that controls the pilli torti thing with out using heat, and am then able to wear my hair down.... i think its because it coats the hair shaft, almost weighing down the hair more making the condition less apparent. But when the colour slowly washes out, my hair condition is noticable again and must be worn up all the time.....unless using irons, which is a no no for long hair...and especially mine.

I want to give henna a go..as have read that it is suposed to condition the hair...and am hoping it will have the same affect on my hair as the semi colour i just mentioned. But the big question is, is there anywhere in Australia that i can buy quality body art henna like Mehandi sell...its cheap enough to buy but its the shipping that gets me....ive tried the Nazeer henna here but dont think its pure, as when i used to use it a long time ago, i then uses a blond colour on my hair and it went a very dirty disgusting jet black!!

Anyway i hope ive explained everything ok...i hope the 2 pics i up load are not huge, so i apologise if they are...I guess i should tell you my hair care routine...apart for the obvious frying of hair...i shampoo every 3rd day..doing the cwc is good, never scrub my hair, use jojoba oil in it after...the very rare use of coconut or olive oil. Thats about it really....so any advice, encouragement would be really great :)

ps...will get back to inserting a pic as not sure how to get it from my pc to here.

T.L.T.
February 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I just recently started using henna (and indigo) on my hair. I used to use semi permanent dye also. The henndigo gives similar color, but it lasts much longer and it hasn't faded on me (not yet anyways... used it 6 weeks ago). I know chemical dye would be long gone by now. I also noticed that my already straight hair seems straighter, like it is weighed down. I would really recommend using it in place of chemical dye, I love it. Although I must admit it is very messy lol.

I bought my henna and indigo from mehandi, but I'm in the US so shipping wasn't terrible. I hope you find some close by so shipping won't be so bad.

Xandergrammy
February 6th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I seem to remember another member with the same condition. I wonder if she's still here. I'm anxious to see the pictures. I use photobucket for my pictures, but I'm not sure how to explain how to use it. I think there's a place on here somewhere that explains it pretty well.

April1
February 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM
...hi...you know what, the person you are talking about might be me!!! It is a very rare condition, and would love to talk to another who has it......im in the process of finding out how to get a pic up here...i just changed my personal pic to the one you can see, so at least i could do that. That pic was taken after being cut :(, and it is wet also, so not usually so dark...have to say its much healthier.

One thing i did forget to mention before is that im also going through a lot of stress...separation/divorce/going back to studying to try change, or get anyway, a career...i have had a lot of hair loss, that has been very noticable to me...if my hair is held, lifted and then shaken...hope thats understandable...all the new, shorter hairs could be seen (b4 i got the chop) and would be left with a pathetic amount of length.

April1
February 6th, 2011, 07:50 PM
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s94/PilliTor/P1070804.jpg

yay it worked!!

Neecola
February 7th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Henna has done wonders for my hair and scalp and I really love it... the way it "coats" the strands sounds like it might benefit you. Perhaps you could post a separate thread with the subject line "henna sources in Australia" and see if anyone has any suggestions?

I don't know anything about pilli torti but would hair vitamins help? Besides the hair vitamins, multi, omega 3s & vitamin D3 are on my must have list. It might also help you deal with the extra stress you are under.

I vowed to stop using the flat iron on my hair but I loved the smoothness back when I did. I bought some magnetic rollers which are tricky to use. You have to get the hair soaking wet so it will cling to the roller and I bought additional clips to keep the curlers in place. It's a little time consuming (though not too much for me since my hair is so fine) but it is something I do for special occasions.

I haven't yet tried it myself, but I've heard that catnip treatments are amazing. I think Ktani might have a link in her siggy. I'm waiting for summer here in the US midwest where it grows like weeds so I can try it. (I once scattered some seeds on the outskirts of our property for our kitties and it comes back bigger every year with no maintenance!)

Also, are you washing with sulfates? If so you may want to try cutting them out and see if that makes a difference. Everyone is different but they definitely made my hair frizzier and more fly-away.

On the days that you shampoo, have you tried a heavy oiling on scalp & hair the night before?

As I said, I don't know anything about pilli torti so I apologize if any of these ideas are a contraindication to the condition. Please keep us posted on your progress!

spitfire511
February 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I'm just curious here as I can't quite tell from the pic - are your hairs sort of wiry/unruly but long? Or are they breaking and short?

The reason I ask is that the back of my hair does something similar. It's only in the back, but the texture of the hair is completely unlike the rest of my head.

But, they are as long as the rest of my hair - they don't really break unless I'm very unkind to them. But when you look at each individual hair it's thicker and goes every which way. There's nothing much other than heat (which still doesn't always work) that will calm it.

If your hair has any similarities to mine, if you can grit your teeth, stay away from the heat, pull it back/up until it grows, I can say that wet bunning/braiding/rope braiding worked WONDERS on the back of my hair. I'd wash at night and sleep with it in rope braids. That's how I got the curls in my siggy. It forced some of that crazy texture out without heat.

However, I too chopped my hair. I went to someone new who didn't know my hair. She very slightly stacked the back of my hair, which she had no way to know wouldn't work, and I didn't catch what was happening until WAY too late. Right now there's almost nothing I can do to fix it. I'm just waiting until it gets past shoulder before I even it out.

I've stayed off the heat styling with a couple of exceptions (in which case I did a round brush blow out from dry to minimize damage as much as I could) but it's miserable!

Just thought that I'd let you know that you're not alone! Even if my hair isn't exactly like yours I do understand at least a little of the frustration. (and I'm so sorry for the essay!)

Hang in there - grow that hair and I'd bet that you'll find some heat-free solutions to improving your hair texture with some experimenting!:D

vanity_acefake
February 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I am so sorry that you have this condition.
I cannot offer any advice just wanted to offer you support.

wendy51
February 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I have no clue but maybe ACV rince would help ?

April1
February 7th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Thankyou all for your advice and comments, i really appreciate it.
Neecola - im about to go down the henna path but may leave it a few weeks as only just put a brown rinse in my hair and want to be rid of it first, so ive a lot of reading up about it all to do first.

Ive done the whole vitamin thing, ACV, oiling, no sulphates, silk pillow case, massaging etc etc but its literally just how it first comes out of my scalp, then goes straight.

Spitfire511 - i can see what your getting at i think and about a hundred hairdressers would come out with that there broken hairs, and then continue to try and sell me yet another product. When i look at my fallen hairs on the floor, they are long (well not as long now i just cut it), but the last couple of cm are curly.....but in saying that there are shorter hairs on my head with a squiggle, but its just a new hair...as im not shedding any on the floor that are short.

But yes all i do is put it up, and am still able to now even with the new shorter cut...im tinking about getting another tricologist to take a look at it when i can afford it though, as, ive only been to the one quite a few years ago now and it may be a good idea to have another opinion.

Damn it...i just want LONG HAIR :wail:

WickedLady
March 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I went to my dermatologist to schedule a biopsy on my scalp bcuase im running in to the hair loss and thinning phase. I take multivitamins but currently changed up my vitamins and shampoos. and he mentioned that an overdose of vitamin A can increase thinning/shedding/hairloss in women among other attributes. I was also reading a health site that suggested things to do for this and tohelp increase thickness of hair. but how well your body absorbes the vitamins is a different story.

Herbs:
Use ACV and Sage tea as a rinse to help hair grow.
Ginkgo Biloba improves circulation to the scalp
Horsetail is a good source of silica, neccessary for strong shingy hair.
Green Tea, Pygeum, and saw palmetto may aid in reducing hair loss
Tea tree oil combats bacteria andmites that may cause hair loss. Massage 10 dropps into the scalp, then shampoo your hair in the usual fasion.Recommendations:
Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables and low in starch. may help slow down the process.
Eat plenty of foods high in biotin and or take supplements. Good source of biotin - brewer's yeast, brown rice, bulgur, green peas, lentils, oats, soybeans, sunflower seeds, and walnuts.
Include soy foods in your diet such as tofu, tempeh, soybeans. Soyfoods appear to inhibit the formation of dihydrotestosterone, a hormone implicated in teh process of hair loss.
Do not eat foods containing raw eggs.
lie head down on a slant board for 15 min out of the day to help increase circulation in the scalp.
use shampoos and conditioners that contain biotin and silica. Aloe very gel,Vitamin C and E, and jojoba oils are very good for the hair. Conditioners containing chamomile, marigold, gensing to help keep hair healthy.
be careful using products that are not all-natural and pH-balanced.
Do not comb wet hair.
Cover hair in sunlight.Considerations:
It is normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day
Taking Large Doses of vitamin A can increase hair loss. Stoping the use of A vitamin and getting vitamin A in foods can help reverse the problem

selderon
March 16th, 2011, 07:48 PM
April, you made your hair sound terrible. I expected to see tiny alien protesters with little placards. ;) It's really not so bad!

One of the reasons henna can be difficult to color over is that the mixes (preparations that are not 100% henna) often have metallic salts in them. Aside from the health concerns, metallic salts react badly with contemporary chemical hair color.

There are a number of good sources of pure henna. Check out the herbal forum here for more info.

Rini
March 17th, 2011, 04:27 AM
HI there. I just wanted to pop in and say that I used to live in Adelaide and I used to henna my hair :D Anyway, back then I would buy Jamila henna (BAQ henna) from the local indian grocery store. Cost less than $4 and was awesome quality!!

Best of luck to you :flowers:

Dolly
March 17th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I have many many hairs on my head that do that.....they are visible close up, but not from a distance......I always call them my halo of "wild hairs".

Staying away from heat styling really does help.....henna does as well. Henna not only makes the hairs" heavier", it gives them a texture......

Good luck!!

Firefox7275
March 17th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Could your dermatologist refer you to a dietician? Also I saw a reference online to using a satin pillowcase, which is something many LHCers with fragile find beneficial.

WickedLady
March 17th, 2011, 06:54 AM
on the LHC forums it mentions Henna for Hair from www.mehandi.com (http://www.mehandi.com)

sibiryachka
March 17th, 2011, 10:09 AM
If you're interested in henna because it coats/weighs down the hair shaft, but are concerned about the color from it, maybe cassia would give you the same effect without the red? Just off the top of my head... *rimshot*