PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Care

rocket_surgeon
February 6th, 2011, 05:45 PM
It's the miserable depths of winter where I am. We're supposed to get nearly ten inches of snow overnight, and it's already started. All this nasty weather is supposed to dry out and uglify hair. What do you guys do to combat winter hair specifically?

UltraBella
February 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM
We are supposed to get 8 -10 inches of snow tonight too and it is supposed to be below zero F. Oh well, my hair is used to it by now.
I do this on damp hair after washing and detangling. I took a mister bottle and put a coney conditioner in it 1/3 of the way. Filled the rest with water. Give it a good shake and mist the ends of my hair - or my whole head if need be. I am cone free other than this.
Then I use either coconut oil or jojoba oil as my next step. A small amount rubbed in my palms and then distributed through my lower 12 inches of hair. It's a fine line between not enough and too much, so I start with a pea sized amount of coconut oil but I have a whole lot of hair. Sometimes I use more. I have found I can use more jojoba oil than coconut oil for some reason.
My hair dries soft, shiny and not a bit of static in sight. It's been a great winter !!

Tikwichka
February 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Coconut oil!!

In Scotland our weather is not very considerate of hair. Every week I lather my hair in coconut oil and leave it in over night (and the next day if I'm staying in). Then I wash as usual. It makes it so soft and it has greatly reduced my frizz.

Perhaps you could try adding a small amount of oil to the top layer of your hair when you go out... It might give you some added protection from the elements.

krissykins
February 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Oil, oil, oil.

Shea butter.

Also, oil. Specifically coconut oil. Tehehe.

McFearless
February 6th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I use oils that don't freeze in cold weather. I strictly CO and more often to combat dryness. More deep conditioners.

Anywhere
February 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I find EVOO works well for me in winter, I also wear it up and hide it in a hat when I go outside.

HairColoredHair
February 6th, 2011, 07:18 PM
As much moisture as I can give it! Deep treatments, oiling..

And keeping it up keeps it from drying out as much when it's windy.