PDA

View Full Version : Where can you get coconut oil and other good products you use in UK?

sunnyhope
February 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM
i really need sum help where i can these goodies here in uk as shipping from us is sooo expensive.

thanx in advance:)

SummerSkye
February 6th, 2011, 03:47 PM
There was a thread recently saying that you can get coconut oil really cheaply in Superdrug. Ive also been using the uk ebay and amazon site's to get things I can't get locally.

sunnyhope
February 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM
There was a thread recently saying that you can get coconut oil really cheaply in Superdrug. Ive also been using the uk ebay and amazon site's to get things I can't get locally.

ty, i dont mind looking for it but i m very new here as u can see and i dont know the names and such to what 2 look for...

rocket_surgeon
February 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Coconut oil is common in health food stores and sometimes regular grocery stores. It comes in a jar rather than a bottle and is solid at room temperature. It'll be with the other oils, or in the "health food" section of the regular grocer's.

Many of the other products talked about here are found at regular grocers and drug stores. Most of the other ones can be found at health food stores (coconut oil, jojoba oil, pure aloe vera, various herbs, henna), hair stylists (e.g. higher-end conventional shampoos), or on the internet (like at amazon.co.uk or etsy.com)

sunnyhope
February 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Coconut oil is common in health food stores and sometimes regular grocery stores. It comes in a jar rather than a bottle and is solid at room temperature. It'll be with the other oils, or in the "health food" section of the regular grocer's.

Many of the other products talked about here are found at regular grocers and drug stores. Most of the other ones can be found at health food stores (coconut oil, jojoba oil, pure aloe vera, various herbs, henna), hair stylists (e.g. higher-end conventional shampoos), or on the internet (like at amazon.co.uk or etsy.com)

does it not matter if they are organic or what brand they are?

enfys
February 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
What are you looking for, besides coconut oil? You might need to shop around to get everything you are looking for.

Coconut oil is avilable cheaply in the cooking section of most supermarkets, or sometimes in the ethnic section. The brand I see most is KTC, which has a bright blue label. That is refined. I prefer the organic, unrefined virgin coconut oil I got in a healthfood shop in my local market. I smells better and works better for me. If you can find it and afford it, I'd try to find that.

My supplies mostly come from Holland and Barrett, Boots and Tesco. I just get odd extra bits from the internet. Hair accessories are another matter :p

McFearless
February 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I'm not from the UK but if you live near any markets or asian food stores you can definately find coconut and other oils.

sunnyhope
February 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
What are you looking for, besides coconut oil? You might need to shop around to get everything you are looking for.

Coconut oil is avilable cheaply in the cooking section of most supermarkets, or sometimes in the ethnic section. The brand I see most is KTC, which has a bright blue label. That is refined. I prefer the organic, unrefined virgin coconut oil I got in a healthfood shop in my local market. I smells better and works better for me. If you can find it and afford it, I'd try to find that.

My supplies mostly come from Holland and Barrett, Boots and Tesco. I just get odd extra bits from the internet. Hair
accessories are another matter :p

i m looking for anything that will make and keep my hair looking great, shiny, soft and managable...

i recently had it cut and didnt really know if i was gonna keep growing it or cut it into a do but the hairdresser cut way to much......................................

slz
February 6th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Yep, I second Holland & Barret, that's where I got my coconut oil (organic, cheap, big jar) when I went to London.

vanity_acefake
February 6th, 2011, 04:52 PM
You can buy coconut oil in Holland and Barrett. I got castor oil in Boots.
Hope this helps.
:)

sunnyhope
February 6th, 2011, 05:14 PM
You can buy coconut oil in Holland and Barrett. I got castor oil in Boots.
Hope this helps.
:)

what do u use castor oil for?

anything else tht will bring loads of shine and perk up the colour:cheese:

vanity_acefake
February 10th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Castor oil is great for hair growth. I massage it into my roots. It is very thick so a lot of the LHC members mix it with a runnier oil as it makes easier to massage in. Many members also put it on their eyebrows and eyelashes for growth.

sunnyhope
February 10th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Castor oil is great for hair growth. I massage it into my roots. It is very thick so a lot of the LHC members mix it with a runnier oil as it makes easier to massage in. Many members also put it on their eyebrows and eyelashes for growth.

where can i get it?

enfys
February 10th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I bought my castor oil in a pharmacy; it's a laxative!

Cupofmilk
February 11th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I am in the UK and have struggled to find things as I live in a rural area and often can't get inot a town to shop.
Holland & barrett and Boots as mentioned have been great - they both do mail order. I use a health food shop called Revital which is in Cambridge but also do internet ordering. I often buy conditioner without silicone in bulk from Asda.
I use ebay sometimes for oils - I am going to try Neem oil soon so I have bought some from ebay. I like ebay if I am only doing a small order. If you buy from larger companies sometimes they have a flat postage fee of say £4.95 which is excellent value when buying lots and bad value if you are buying a small item worth £5.
I buy hairtoys from the US. Costs a fortune and you get stung by customs if the item is over £18 but they are so amazing it's worth it.

jackiesjottings
February 11th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Not sure where in the UK you are, but Neals Yard do a coconut oil, I think it has Rosemary in it is well, it is the one I use when I remember!

Cupofmilk
February 11th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Oh yes Neal's Yard = one of my favourite shops ever. Wonderful stuff.

lunalovegood
February 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Many people here avoid using shampoos with sulphates/SLS and shampoos/conditioners with silicones (sometimes shortened to "cones"). If you're interested in trying that, read the ingredients on the bottle - sulphate-free shampoos shouldn't have any ingredients with the word "sulphate" (SLS = sodium lauryl sulphate is the most common one) and cone-free products shouldn't have any ingredients ending in "cone" (e.g. "dimethicone") or "xane".

You can get sulphate-free shampoos in Boots (Naked range), The Body Shop (Rainforest Haircare range), Holland & Barrett (various different ones) and Waitrose (their own brand shampoos and some others they stock, such as Daniel Galvin Junior). Silicone-free conditioners are quite easy to find; many cheap own brand ranges in supermarkets, Boots or Superdrug are cone-free and many Aussie ones are too. There's a long thread here about a Garnier conditioner called Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition that a lot of people like; the UK equivalent is called Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Fortifying Cream Conditioner and it's available in Boots for under £2.

sunnyhope
February 11th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Many people here avoid using shampoos with sulphates/SLS and shampoos/conditioners with silicones (sometimes shortened to "cones"). If you're interested in trying that, read the ingredients on the bottle - sulphate-free shampoos shouldn't have any ingredients with the word "sulphate" (SLS = sodium lauryl sulphate is the most common one) and cone-free products shouldn't have any ingredients ending in "cone" (e.g. "dimethicone") or "xane".

You can get sulphate-free shampoos in Boots (Naked range), The Body Shop (Rainforest Haircare range), Holland & Barrett (various different ones) and Waitrose (their own brand shampoos and some others they stock, such as Daniel Galvin Junior). Silicone-free conditioners are quite easy to find; many cheap own brand ranges in supermarkets, Boots or Superdrug are cone-free and many Aussie ones are too. There's a long thread here about a Garnier conditioner called Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition that a lot of people like; the UK equivalent is called Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Fortifying Cream Conditioner and it's available in Boots for under £2.

i prefer buying my products from a hairdresser at least i know i get good stuff( i am a hairdresser too) i m afraid i would even touch garnier or supermarked shampoos and conditioners even if i was given it, they are far less consentrated and contains all sort of bad stuff.
i agree sls free stuff is good and that u can also get in a hairdressers.

clairenewcastle
February 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Not sure where in the UK you are, but Neals Yard do a coconut oil, I think it has Rosemary in it is well, it is the one I use when I remember!

The Neal's Yard product you're referring to is their Rosemary and Cedarwood Hair Treatment which is pure coconut oil infused with essential oils of rosemary, lavender and cedarwood.

I've used it before and can't recommend it enough.

(Neal's Yard have a mail order catalogue by the way.)

sunnyhope
February 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM
The Neal's Yard product you're referring to is their Rosemary and Cedarwood Hair Treatment which is pure coconut oil infused with essential oils of rosemary, lavender and cedarwood.

I've used it before and can't recommend it enough.

(Neal's Yard have a mail order catalogue by the way.)

me personally live in Dover.... when i m in UK, when i m in Norway where im from i live in oslo the capital.....

clairenewcastle
February 11th, 2011, 10:57 AM
me personally live in Dover.... when i m in UK, when i m in Norway where im from i live in oslo the capital.....

I'm at the completely opposite end of England as you can see from my user name......lol....the south coast of England is beautiful.

I've some Biona Organic Virgin Coconut Oil which I bought for £3.69 in a health food shop.