PDA

View Full Version : Supplement question

KellyGormley
February 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM
So I take a multivitamin, a hair and nails vitamin, and biotin everyday however, im finding the hair and nails and biotin are not doing anything. So and recommendations for other good hair vitamins?
I also have to start taking magnesium because it turns out I have low magnesium, could this affect my hair?

SummerSkye
February 6th, 2011, 03:28 PM
A lot of people here seem to use MSM. I started taking it last week 2 x 1000mg a day, might be worth a try. Ive used Nioxin supplements in past because of serious hair loss, I took them for over 18 months but have to honestly say I don't think they made a difference, even though they do with other people. Ive had good resluts with just straight forward silica supplements too.

enfys
February 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM
When did you start taking each of them, and how long have you taken them for? It can take a few months before you see results.

I'm fairly sure my hair, skin and nails multi has magnesium in so I imagine that it has some use for hair. I just take that and silica, after a few years of experimenting.

shikara
February 6th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hi there! Is there a specific purpose you are looking to accomplish, or just healthy hair in general? I do think calcium and magnesium balance is supposed to count for something regarding hair loss but don't know much about that. I have also read that 2 45mg (?) of zinc a day prevents hair loss in some cases (depending on cause) - something to do with unclogged pores. For overall health and for your hair to reach its full potential in length, (aside from gentle good handling etc.) an overall healthy diet and at least moderate exercise, and methods of coping with stress are best. I take biotin and a multivitamin but try to get the most benefit from foods. Carrots, bananas, oranges, wheat germ, ground flaxseed, lentils, milk and cottage cheese, barley, (these with lentils are my main protein sources), and other vegetables, and six glasses of water a day. Oh yeah, I also have one hard boiled egg in the morning with a brazil nut!! and almonds!!