PDA

View Full Version : Detangling for fine hair.

Vuvuzela
February 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I have BSL stick straight, thin, baby fine hair. I have a pretty hard time untangling it even when I use conditioner, but I want to go no-poo but I'm afraid that it will become too hard to detangle. I already have too much hair shedding into my comb and breaking. What should I do? How do you no-pooers detangle?

krissykins
February 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Have you tried the Tangle Teezer? A lot of members here rave about it!

rocket_surgeon
February 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
In the time I've done no-poo, I've had fewer problems with tangles than when I went conventional. The ACV should make your hair cuticle lie flat, which makes your hair somewhat slicker (and shinier), which should cut down on tangles.

I've also found that gently combing with a wide-toothed wooden comb and then using a BBB before a shower cuts down on tangling and drain clogs, because it removes shed hairs before they can tangle up other hairs.

Yamainu
February 6th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Nopoo was a tangle disaster for me. I have the most luck with cones when it comes to keeping tangles down.

shikara
February 6th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Cones are what work for me too! Remember that what is right for one is not necesarily right for another - even if that person seems to have the same hair type. I chelated today (with club soda BEFORE I washed and conditioned) and that has made a HUGE difference in the reduction of tangles. Wide tooth combs don't work for me at all. I use a fine tooth comb on the bottom few inches and my brush for the rest. You'll find your way I'm sure. Hopefully you won't be like me with unused containers (and wasted money) of products you've tried but didn't work :rolleyes: until you've found the right one:cheese: Wouldn't it be nice if most products had sample sizes you could try?!

HannahDelicious
February 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Funny thing is that I have had the best luck with certain cone-free conditioners. That being said, these cone-free conditioners had to be super moisturizing to work (like Biolage).

Unfortunately, my scalp is feeling kind of sensitive right now, and I have gotten pretty intolerant of fragrances. Now I am stuck looking for a similar effect with a fragrance free conditioner. :brickwall

heidihug
February 6th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I have fine hair and I never detangle when my hair is wet or even damp. Also, I thoroughly detangle before washing. I never wash my hair upside down, like in the sink.

AspenSong
February 6th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I have similar hair to you - straight, fine...etc.

Personally, since I went to CO washing, my tangles have gone way down and my hair health, way up! Same with going Cone-free with my conditioner. SUCH a difference!

Also, gotta say....Just got a Tangle Teezer, the thing is pretty awesome! I have no idea what the secret to it is, but it's far gentler on my hair it seems to detangle it once it's dried!

Annalouise
February 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I have BSL stick straight, thin, baby fine hair. I have a pretty hard time untangling it even when I use conditioner, but I want to go no-poo but I'm afraid that it will become too hard to detangle. I already have too much hair shedding into my comb and breaking. What should I do? How do you no-pooers detangle?

I did water only for two months and it was a disaster. My hair became an oily tangly mess and also my hair started to fall out. Please don't go that route.
If you can use conventional products they are the best for avoiding tangles. Especially doing CO and using a deep conditioner on the bottom. If you do CO make sure you wash with a shampoo once a week to remove buildup.

Funny thing is that I have had the best luck with certain cone-free conditioners. That being said, these cone-free conditioners had to be super moisturizing to work (like Biolage).

Unfortunately, my scalp is feeling kind of sensitive right now, and I have gotten pretty intolerant of fragrances. Now I am stuck looking for a similar effect with a fragrance free conditioner. :brickwall

If you find a deep conditioner that is fragrance free let me know.:) I was using Whole Foods 365 fragrance free but its a light conditioner good for scalp washing but not heavy enough for my length.

Fairlight63
February 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I will be watching this thread.
My hair is a 2a, fine, thin & delicate , and so dry & tangly. It must be the weather up here in the north & the heat in the house. I can detangle it & before I move to another section it is tangled again. If it just touches another hair it grabs onto it. It is really hard to do braids like that! I can just feel me pulling out hairs trying to separate them to braid them.

UP Lisa
February 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Your hair sounds exactly like mine. There is no such thing as detangling my hair. I can comb or brush through the same hair 100 times, and it will be just as tangly. It is really like a spider web. The only way I ever got it long was by NOT combing or brushing. The only thing I can really do is finger comb. Sometimes I comb through it in the shower with a wide-tooth comb while I have conditioner in it, but I still feel like I am pulling out and breaking off hairs. The only way I've found to not have the tangles is to keep it really short, and I don't want to do that anymore.

Some conditioners are better than others, and clarifying can help, but this is just the way my hair is.

I will be watching this thread.
My hair is a 2a, fine, thin & delicate , and so dry & tangly. It must be the weather up here in the north & the heat in the house. I can detangle it & before I move to another section it is tangled again. If it just touches another hair it grabs onto it. It is really hard to do braids like that! I can just feel me pulling out hairs trying to separate them to braid them.

monsterna
February 7th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Sorry, no idea about no-poo. I couldn't pull that off at all. However, besides mentioning no-poo, you didn't mention if you used conditioner or not.

My hair really needs cones to not get tangled. My routine is CO, and clarifying here and there to remove build up. I put lots of conditioner all over my hair (the conditioner I use is Pantene Beautiful Lengths). I then finger comb a bit if I feel like it, but I usually don't need to. The wide tooth comb then glides through my hair from the ends up, with the conditioner in it. I leave this on the entire time I'm in the shower (5-10 minutes, but usually 5ish), then wash it out last. I also do a cold shot of water after washing it out.

I can comb through it no problem after that.

If you notice your ends are dry and velcro-y a lot, then maybe try clarifying and following that with a deep moisture treatment.

Good luck!

Anje
February 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I don't really know about no-poo and tangles, but explore your options. You may or may not find the results to your taste, and you should be aware that there are lots of conventional and natural ways to wash. No-poo isn't the only option.

I did water only for two months and it was a disaster. My hair became an oily tangly mess and also my hair started to fall out. Please don't go that route.
Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't (or will) work for her. I did quite well with water only and shed less than I have with any other washing method. I finally switched back to CO after about 9 months because my ends got a little dry with WO.

HannahDelicious
February 7th, 2011, 01:56 PM
If you find a deep conditioner that is fragrance free let me know.:) I was using Whole Foods 365 fragrance free but its a light conditioner good for scalp washing but not heavy enough for my length.

I have actually gotten to the point where I have a collection of fragrance-free conditioners.

From my experience:
Conditioners with fatty alcohols seem to work a little better. So far, Free & Clear has worked the best for me.

I have seen good reviews about the Earth Sciences fragrance free conditioner on LHC. For me, it seemed to work well at first, but my hair went back to normal (so tangle central) after a few uses. It could be because there is jojoba oil in it, some oils seem to make my hair angry.

I am waiting for the Akin (Alchemy) conditioner to come in from the mail. If that works, I will probably post a review.