PDA

View Full Version : Biosilk - thumbs up or down?

akuamoonmaui
February 6th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I use cones, they just work for me... I think a lot of Biosilk products have them. It seems to be a more expensive line, but I only buy it when I can find it at Costco or Ross.

I like the serum and have tried the smoothing shampoo which worked well. I'm now using the hydrating shampoo but don't like it as well.

Any opinions?

HairFaerie
February 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I am a big fan of Biosilk! Mmmmmmm....especially the smell! :)
The serum is great! I use cones too, they work wonderful for me.
I used all of my Biosilk up a while ago but I remember I loved the shampoo & conditioner. I loved the serum too but my daughter snagged it and used it all!

Rocket22
February 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I read terrible things about biosilk, I have a full bottle and then deciced to read reviews? but anyways the reviews said it makes your hair very soft exc. but because of the alcohol it dries it out something about your hair can't get moisture? but anyway bottom line was basically while you are are using it your hair will feel amazing but as soon as you stop your hair will be fried? I don't know, didn't want to chance it. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

akuamoonmaui
February 6th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I haven't had that experience. I shampoo about 2x a week and alternate shampoos. Usually a very gentle shampoo 1x, then a clarifying shampoo the 2nd time. I've found the biosilk shampoos are very mild and didn't dry my hair at all. My hair also likes Pantene and people have strong opinions about that brand, too.

The smoothing shampoo did what it was supposed to, the hydrating one does it's thing, too but I think I liked the smoothing aspect of the other one.

krissykins
February 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Biosilk didn't do much for me. It made my hair feel like it had a lot of build-up. Very unpleasant to touch. But I'm glad it works for you :)

patienceneeded
February 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I have used the smoothing serum, didn't have any problems. It isn't my favorite smoothing serum, but it does what it says it will. My hair adores cones though.

ibleedlipstick
February 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I found it average. I bought it at Costco, used the bottle, and it was meh. Didn't damage my hair, but didn't make it OMG FANTASTIC! It did what it said, but not much more than that. I wouldn't pay the regular salon price for it though.

x0h_bother
February 7th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I too enjoy the serum. I tried two of their conditioners- the smoothing therapy and the therapy conditioner- and hated them both. The only thing else on their line I like is the thermal shield, which is Ok. HTH.

jaderose
February 7th, 2011, 06:35 AM
The only thing I have tried is the serum, but I loved it. Smooth shiny hair, not to heavy or greasy.

Rocket22
February 7th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I was talking about the serum in above post, didn't read anything about shampoo or other products

lyria
February 7th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I used to love the serum. But then I noticed that it was leaving a weird yellowish residue on my dress shirts! YUCK!

PeacenQuietGal
February 7th, 2011, 07:44 AM
There was/is a Biosilk aerosol glossing spray that I really liked very much. It had such a fine mist, unlike other glossers that come from a pump bottle. I do remember that if I used too much it made my hair look greasy though. So maybe it had some oil in it? I don't remember the ingredients, just that it gave my hair an awesome "fake" shine, and I loved it!

Lil Red Vampire
February 7th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I absolutely cannot live without my Biosilk. It is worth every penny. My hair is not curly but it frizzes. It is so thick and wiry and Biosilk makes it shiny and smooth. I like to use it after I shave my legs too!!

I love, love, love this stuff!!

I only use the serum as I wasn't crazy about the shampoo and conditioner and I only put the serum on the ends...while my hair is damp before blow drying and then a little on the ends after drying. Sometimes, I will switch to Paul Mitchell Gloss Drops on the ends.

I have to say my favorite overall smoothing products is Cibu Sashini. This stuff is hard core for dry heads!!

Lil Red Vampire
February 7th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I haven't had that experience. I shampoo about 2x a week and alternate shampoos. Usually a very gentle shampoo 1x, then a clarifying shampoo the 2nd time. I've found the biosilk shampoos are very mild and didn't dry my hair at all. My hair also likes Pantene and people have strong opinions about that brand, too.

The smoothing shampoo did what it was supposed to, the hydrating one does it's thing, too but I think I liked the smoothing aspect of the other one.

I have very good results with Pantene too!!

GlassWidow
February 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I splurged on a smaller bottle of the serum from the salon and it lasted me more than a year. It smelled great, and made my hair look fantastic. I ran out, and decided to use something else. A while later, I found a big bottle of the biosilk serum on a sale rack, so I snatched it up. It smelled different, and worked very differently from the stuff I bought at the salon. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't the same...definitely more..."meh"

I've stopped using product in my hair, at least for the time being, but because of my experience, I'd always be wary of biosilk not purchased through a salon.

Lil Red Vampire
February 7th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I splurged on a smaller bottle of the serum from the salon and it lasted me more than a year. It smelled great, and made my hair look fantastic. I ran out, and decided to use something else. A while later, I found a big bottle of the biosilk serum on a sale rack, so I snatched it up. It smelled different, and worked very differently from the stuff I bought at the salon. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't the same...definitely more..."meh"

I've stopped using product in my hair, at least for the time being, but because of my experience, I'd always be wary of biosilk not purchased through a salon.

I have heard that you should never buy salon products any place other than a salon. I have even heard that Walmart carries knockoffs (on the shelves, not in their salon)....I don't know if there is any truth to that but a girlfriend gave me a bottle of Biosilk because she didn't like it and I know why. It was crap. It was nothing like mine I got from my salon. She got hers at Walgreens....