PDA

View Full Version : Help! Static

Lil Red Vampire
February 6th, 2011, 10:02 AM
What the heck is going on? I have ridiculous static in my hair these days. I use serums, hair spray.....even sprayed static cling on my clothes or lightly rubbed lotion on my shirt (Lol). It just wont' go away. What is causing it and what should I do? I don't have this much static in my clothes....

Bubbleguppy
February 6th, 2011, 10:23 AM
It could be dependent on the weather where you live. My hair always gets very staticy in the winter time, so I'm going through the same thing right now. I usually just wear it up more often, especially at work, since staticy hair can get really annoying around your face!

UltraBella
February 6th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Where I live it is super dry and winter (summer too !) static is a big nuisance. I have completely eliminated static from my hair and it's very simple. I do yhis on damp hair after washing and detangling. I took a mister bottle and put a coney conditioner in it 1/3 of the way. Filled the rest with water. Give it a good shake and mist the ends of my hair - or my whole head if need be. I am cone free other than this.
Then I use either coconut oil or jojoba oil as my next step. A small amount rubbed in my palms and then distributed through my lower 12 inches of hair. It's a fine line between not enough and too much, so I start with a pea sized amount of coconut oil but I have a whole lot of hair. Sometimes I use more. I have found I can use more jojoba oil than coconut oil for some reason.
My hair dries soft, shiny and not a bit of static in sight. It's been a great winter !!

Theobroma
February 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Now that the subject's come up, it occurs to me that I've had NO static at all this winter. I can't remember that ever happening before! I've been assuming that it's because my hair is better moisturised than it's ever been, thanks to switching to CO washing and coconut oil as my leave-in. Sulphate shampoos are terribly drying to my scalp AND my hair, and giving them up has cured a multitude of ills; I've only just realised that static may be one of them.

HairFaerie
February 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
What I have found that works miracles is a small spray bottle with mostly water, a little jojoba oil (or an other similar oil of choice) and a few drops of essential oils. It not only helps the static, but your hair smells wonderful too! :)
Just shake up the bottle and spritz a little on throughout the day and...no more static!
I have a bunch of different ones with different oils and scents depending on what mood I'm in.

Lil Red Vampire
February 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Oh my gosh, these are such great ideas! I am going to stop my serums and try the coney spray.....but I am new to "oiling" my hair and leaving it in. I do have some cocount oil and Jojoba oil so I will use that instead of my Biosilk or Gloss Drops and see if that helps.

I am not sure if I can do CO method only though...my scalp seems to get dirtier or oily a lot quicker and I only like to wash my hair one or two times a week.

wyllowdaemon
February 9th, 2011, 06:06 PM
You could also try a humidifier in your home, I noticed after I bought one for my bedroom my hair wasn't as bad. I also use a pea sized pearl of coconut oil in my length which helps alot.

Anywhere
February 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I used to have crazy static, but ever since I started oiling my hair I haven't noticed any static. I almost forgot about static-y hair.;)

Fairlight63
February 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I used to have a LOT of static in my hair also, plus being fine, it was really fly-away.
What has helped is NOT to brush my hair. I put jojoba oil on it & only comb it.

Tikwichka
February 9th, 2011, 09:53 PM
UltraBella's method sounds great.
I am prone to frizz, but since I started using coconut oil, I've noticed a big improvement. I wash my hair weekly, and the night before the wash I lather my hair in coconut oil. During the week, I distribute small quantities throughout my ends. It works wonders!!