PDA

View Full Version : Humidifier and Hair

JuneBride
February 6th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Living in the North East USA makes my hair, skin and nails dry. Yesterday I purchased a warm mist humidifier. Has any one had positive results with their hair using a humidifier? Please share :-) thanks!

milagro
February 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I feel some benefit for my skin, definitely. Hard to say about hair because I changed my routine a lot since I got humidifiers, but as central heating affects it the same way as skin the benefit should be there, too. And my nails always thrive no matter what :)

jaine
February 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
My hair, skin, and sinuses are definitely much happier after getting a humidifier a few weeks ago.

morecowbell
February 6th, 2011, 11:32 AM
You are going to love your humidifier! :D I've had mine running constantly since I bought it six months ago and here are the improvements I've noticed:
Softer skin
Less eczema (I get it on my face of all places!)
and yes, my hair is DEFINITELY more moisturized feeling! :) :) :) I have rough, dry, tangly, porous length due to damage and there has been a marked improvement in how my hair feels to me.

One little caveat, if you can you should use filtered water to fill it with, especially if you have hard water. Using filtered water will extend the life of your new awesome-maker by at least 50%. I just use the Pur filter on my tap and it works great.
hth :)

ravenreed
February 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I have a sonic cool air humidifier I run in my living room 24/7. I was noticing that my hands were insanely dry until I started it up so I can only assume that it is helping my hair too! I have another one in my bedroom but that is one of the regular ones. The sonic one puts out a visible stream of water and actually leaves a damp spot on the floor, which is awesome because the room I am humidifying is a great room type set up with vaulted ceilings so it requires a LOT of moisture.

omnivore
February 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Living in the North East USA makes my hair, skin and nails dry. Yesterday I purchased a warm mist humidifier. Has any one had positive results with their hair using a humidifier? Please share :-) thanks!

It gets seriously dry here, too...don't touch the fuzzy pet for fear of electrocuting him/her type of dry. On top of that, we heat with wood, so it's particularly deserty here, especially in the Winter.

We keep a big cooking pot full of water on the stove. If I forget to fill it, hooo-boy! Crunchy, staticky mess on my head. Dry, itchy skin, and a raging sinus headache. When I remember to keep it full, my hair lays down nicely and isn't as tangly and velcro ends prone. When I wake up with a sinus headache, that's how I know that I forgot to refill/top off the pot.

Have never paid much attention to my nails, but now that I think about it, they may be a bit less prone to peeling off in layers at the tips when I let them grow longer before clipping them.

jaine
February 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
I also do the big pot of water on the stove ... that keeps my living room / kitchen area humid and the humidifier keeps the bedroom nice.

My Vicks cool mist humidifier started to emit unpleasant smells after a couple of weeks ... I fixed that by putting a fresh, crushed clove of garlic in the water. Oddly, it worked ... and I'd much rather smell garlic than whatever it bacteria or yeast it was growing in there.

ravenreed
February 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM
My cat likes to sneak a drink from the humidifier well while the top is being refilled. Last night I looked in it and it was all pink and nasty, presumably from kitty mouth germs. I wiped it down with hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed it. That should do the trick until the next time he manages to get a drink before we can slam the top back on!