PDA

View Full Version : CURLIES....how much length do your beautiful curls steal?

redneckprincess
February 6th, 2011, 07:28 AM
my curly hair measures 2 full inches SHORTER then my straightened (heat or pulled) hair.

so thats about 4 months worth of growth wrapped up in those beauties...no wonder i feel like i grew overnight when i straighten...which isnt very often.

oh and...so how do you measure by actual length or by where the curls hang?

I measure straight length, its just easier

lacefrost
February 6th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Like ALL of it. (sighs) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=95439

Anywhere
February 6th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Mine eat up about 4-6" of my stretched BCL hair, depending on how curly they're feeling.

Lianna
February 6th, 2011, 07:43 AM
About 1 inch and a half, but it's varying as it grows.

chopandchange
February 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM
I've never actually measured the difference. I'm not THAT obsessed! I never see my natural curl pattern except when wet, because I plait it while it's drying, to avoid tangles, so I'm more used to seeing braidwaves. But those corkscrew ringletty bits underneath would probably eat up about 4 inches if I let them! They're the kind that go BOING!

abritta3
February 6th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Never measured with any tools but from my own eyes I would say a good 3"

morecowbell
February 6th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Like ALL of it. (sighs) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6637&pictureid=95439

OMGosh! :blueeek: It must be frustrating to know you have so much length hiding! But your twists (twist outs?) are just beautiful! :flower:

Cailie
February 6th, 2011, 07:50 AM
One thing sure : a lot !!!

redneckprincess
February 6th, 2011, 07:53 AM

your picture was actually one af a few that made me decide to write this post!!! but beautiful curls i must say

redneckprincess
February 6th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I've never actually measured the difference. I'm not THAT obsessed! I never see my natural curl pattern except when wet, because I plait it while it's drying, to avoid tangles, so I'm more used to seeing braidwaves. But those corkscrew ringletty bits underneath would probably eat up about 4 inches if I let them! They're the kind that go BOING!

maybe I am THAT obsessed, lol but really it comes from measuring and then pulling a section straight to measure that (or just measuring before and after on a straightning day)
mostly just out of curisoty

milagro
February 6th, 2011, 08:56 AM
About 2,5-3".

Vani1902
February 6th, 2011, 08:59 AM
My curls steal too much length. But, I forgive them.

lascuba
February 6th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I just measured after seeing the thread title.

5.5 inches.

Kaijah
February 6th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I lose about 4" on the 2c bits, closer to 5" on the actual curly 3a bits. Oh well. At least I'm at the point where it stays below waist after shrinkage, right? :p

haikitteh
February 6th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Well my curls kinda vary: I've got some proper ringlets that are 3b and some looser S-type 3as in there too. So the shrinkage varies as well, anything from 2-3 inches are eaten up by curl. It does sometimes feel like I can never get ahead with the length because of it.

I also tend to measure from the stretched-out curl.

luluj
February 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Great thread! I lose far too much length with my waves and curls. I am on my way to APL, even though some lovely people have commented that I'm already there. I will claim APL "officially" when it is there fully dried with no combing or manipulating of any kind.:pray:

akuamoonmaui
February 6th, 2011, 11:50 AM
About an 1". I suppose length is length, but I measure dry.

redcelticcurls
February 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Six inches or so.

There was another recent thread if you want more input.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57366&highlight=shrinkage

kitschy
February 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Six inches or so.

There was another recent thread if you want more input.

Yep, like she said.....six inches or so.

redcelticcurls
February 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Oh, as for measurement, I measure in the shower. While I know that my hair doesn't show the numeric length that I get, I do find it a good way to track progress, or lack thereof.

The lengths in my avatar and sig are a few months apart, yet one can see the length difference.

meowmeow
February 6th, 2011, 01:50 PM
My hair hits around hip length dry, but when I'm in the shower it's about tailbone length (the longest layer anyway).:o

Edit: After taking a shower I realized my longest layer is actually brushing classic!

princessp
February 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
About 2 weeks ago at hip:
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/12JAN-17-11.jpg

Here it is the other day uber-curly right out of my nightcap barely at waist:
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad240/princesspandora1/13Jan-30-11.jpg

And when it is wet it is now past BCL, so the answer is a lot. :D

Speckla
February 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM
My hair is waist length when stretched/wet and anywhere inbetween bsl when dry/curly. I go by my stretched length because my curly length is different all the time.

AerithMoon
February 6th, 2011, 02:14 PM
My curls steal about three to four inches. Not a HUGE difference, but it definitely is when I have short hair. ;'(

PrincessTieflin
February 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Mine takes up 2 inches.. not much I know in the eyes of others who have more curls then me ;)

I measure mine wet just out of the shower, and take pics then to since it grow more "out" the down.

Athena's Owl
February 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM
m hair has less spring than it used to. on extremely curly air-dries it can rise to waist length, but it's usually just shy of hip. wet it's TBL.

McFearless
February 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM
My hair can jump from waist to APL.

jeanniet
February 6th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I'd guess about 3" less than if I stretch it out, but if it's wet in the shower it's waist length (I wish!).

CurlySoleil
February 6th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Gosh, like 50% at least! Probably more. My hair isn't that long to begin with, (It's only shoulder length) and with shrinkage I pretty much walk around with a curly 'fro (that hits at about ear length) unless I do a braid or twist-out. Even then, my hair doesn't show it's true length. I think I would have to straighten it if I wanted to show the length. And I don't want to do that any time soon! Sometimes it is frustrating, but mostly I think that's what makes my hair fun. I can have a different style all the time without doing a lot to it! :cheese:

Speedbump
February 6th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Mine *used* to steal 4-5 inches, but I'm not real sure now. Maybe only 3 inches. I still have waves, but a lot of the real curls are pulled out by the weight of my hair by the day after washing. It used to bother me, but I got over it because I love the length more than the curls. :D

Annalise
February 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm a wurly, but I'm just below waist wavy, and just touching hip stretched.

girlcat36
February 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I lose about 3" to my curls.

Copasetic
February 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I don't know the exact measurements, but my curly hair just about BSL, and pulled straight it is past waist.

nellreno
February 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
My gf's hair when in it's natural curly state is at classic length, when it's straightened it's close to knee.

Tikwichka
February 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
The longer my hair gets, the more of my curl I lose... I can't decide if this is a good thing, haha!

lacefrost
February 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
OMGosh! :blueeek: It must be frustrating to know you have so much length hiding! But your twists (twist outs?) are just beautiful! :flower:

Thank you! It's super frustrating on the one hand but on the other. . .I usually straighten my hair once or twice a year and then I'm like WHOA!! My hair grew 50 inches over night!!!! :cheese:

your picture was actually one af a few that made me decide to write this post!!! but beautiful curls i must say

Thankies! When I saw this thread, it was right after I realized my hair was almost BSL and I thought, "This thread's for me!!"

chelssix
February 7th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Lacefrost, I can safely say that I would rather have your stunning curls than a faster rate of gaining length.

ivka
March 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM
About 6 inches.

dawnss
March 21st, 2011, 06:47 PM
I have to agree with the other two type fours on here, my hair shrinks up to about 70 to 80 percent of its length, it looks ear length but it is between neck length and shoulder length. Believe it or not it is really annoying because the only way that I can do any decent updos is when my hair is straight, sometimes I can't even put my hair up into a mini bun. Yet when it is straight I have no problem styling it into ponytails and buns. Could be worse though.

firicia
March 21st, 2011, 07:48 PM
Haha just yesterday I noticed that when I got out of the shower my hair is almost BSL, then when it dries it is between my shoulders and APL. So I lose a fair amount, oh well, I will only count my dry hair for actual length so it may be a while before it's long.

Mesmerise
March 21st, 2011, 07:51 PM
I work out my length with my hair stretched, but I must lose at least 1.5" if not a bit more to my wurls (some bits of my hair are curls...others are wurls...others are waves... my hair is very silly). So, errm I'll hit waist length with my hair stretched before I hit it properly... but that's okay ;) eventually I want my hair to my hip unstretched, which may be more than the 32" I estimated for hip...but I'll worry about that when I get closer to that goal ;)

ScherzoDeLEON
March 22nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
I lose about 1-2 inches. :C But I measure it pulled.

Lollipop
March 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM
About 4 in. It sucks because I never know what length I consider myself.

meumar
March 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Ya I probably lose about 4-5 inches or so from my curls - this is actually good for me because my hair is so thin. But my hair, when curly is just at my shoulders. If I straighten it, it is just past my shoulder blades on my back!

Springlets
March 27th, 2011, 05:07 PM
4-5 inches. When straight my hair is almost to waist, when curly it is just above BSL.

Sometimes it annoys me but sometimes I think it's nice to have so much variation. And then it's great to see the look on your friend's faces when they see you with long straight hair. :)