PDA

View Full Version : Silk to sleep ! Best ways to wear a "bonnet" !

Cailie
February 5th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hi all LHCers!

Maybe some of you, like me, don't have much money to invest on bonnets or bed sheets, etc....

I've been quite creative in the way I wear silk on my hair to sleep (I have a very small square of 100 % silk)

It would be fun it you shared your special way to protect your hair at night, if possible with a "visual" support. :D

Here's one way I think works great to protect har at night :
- nothing but silk touches hair
- stays in place all night (doesn't fall in the face !)
- very cheap !
- comfortable !

You need : a small piece of silk (just long enought to knot on the sides) & a scrunchie

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296966459.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296966459.jpg/1.html)

Show us with an image, piture, etc. the special (or not special) ways you developped to protect your hair when you sleep !! :cheese:

Cailie
February 5th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Here's another one, when it's not too hot in the bedroom :p

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296967894.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296967894.jpg/1.html)

Cailie
February 5th, 2011, 09:50 PM
http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296967853.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296967853.jpg/1.html)

monsterna
February 5th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Haha, I like your pictures. I was thinking about finding something silk to wear on my head. I only have a silk pillowcase at the moment. Are the advantages to having a cap over having just a pillowcase significant?

ddiana1979
February 6th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Haha, I like your pictures. I was thinking about finding something silk to wear on my head. I only have a silk pillowcase at the moment. Are the advantages to having a cap over having just a pillowcase significant?

Once your hair gets long enough, it starts to get annoying if you're sleeping with a significant other or pets that like to cuddle. When it gets *really* long, if you're a restless sleeper, it will start to wrap around you, which can be quite a pain.

I normally sleep with my hair down (I have a silk pillowcase), but when my fiancé visits (we live in different states, currently) I have to put it up in a cap. He rolls over on it, and several times a night I have to wake him up, "Honey, you're on my HAIR!"

Some people just wear their hair up, of course, but I haven't found a style that works for me yet. I'm so restless it gets all twisted up & ratty if I don't wear a cap over the updo.

kteachone
February 6th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Cute pics!

I just bought one of those caps from the ethnic section at Wal-Mart. It was like...2 bucks, I think.

Cailie
February 6th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Cute pics!

I just bought one of those caps from the ethnic section at Wal-Mart. It was like...2 bucks, I think.

Can you tell me if it's satin or real silk ? (I'm being picky, but I prefer the natural fiber)

kteachone
February 6th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Can you tell me if it's satin or real silk ? (I'm being picky, but I prefer the natural fiber)

It's satin, but I've noticed that my hair is a lot smoother than if I slept without it.

Lianna
February 6th, 2011, 07:26 AM
That's very creative! Thanks for sharing, I find the headband method very confortable. :)

The thing about satin is that gets hot in warmer climates, that's why I need silk.

chopandchange
February 6th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Maybe I should start trying one of these. My hair SCARES me sometimes. I wake up and see something trailing over the other side of the bed and I'm like: " aaaah! What's that THING?"

And it's just one of my plaits. LOL

scorpio_rising
February 6th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I wish I could make pictures like that! I love those!
I just sleep with a satin sleep bonnet but I'm in the process of upgrading to silk. :)

chopandchange
February 6th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I might make a bonnet to try. I suppose you just make a big circle, hem it, and thread elastic through the hem. Yes?

moon-child
February 6th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I move around so much in my sleep and I hate the thought of my hair rubbing against the rough cotton. So I'm definitely gonna try this! Thanks for the tips!

WaitingSoLong
February 8th, 2011, 07:07 AM
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/th_P1030516.jpg (http://s393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/?action=view&current=P1030516.jpg)
I made my own from silky sleep pjs. It si stretchy silky stuff, not sure what it is actually made of. Unfortunately my hair is sticking out at the bottom now. I cannot do bonnets because I dislike all my hair gathered in them and I like to keep it straight. I also cannot do night buns or knots of any kind. I like the headband idea, though, and will probably try that. I am quite an active sleeper (I toss and turn loads) and almost anything I try comes off.

spitfire511
February 8th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I found a couple of nice silk scarves at a local thrift store. I had to do a bit of digging, and hand-washed them thoroughly before using them, but it was a good alternative for a cash-strapped girl!

rogue_psyche
May 6th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm thinking of trying this method so that I don't have to buy a silk cap. Any advice on adapting it for a braid? Maybe with the braid spiraled flat on the top of the head? How would you tie the silk?

Panth
May 7th, 2011, 03:53 AM
I'm thinking of trying this method so that I don't have to buy a silk cap. Any advice on adapting it for a braid? Maybe with the braid spiraled flat on the top of the head? How would you tie the silk?

I adapted WaitingSoLong's method and it works nicely with plaits.

I made my own from silky sleep pjs. It si stretchy silky stuff, not sure what it is actually made of. Unfortunately my hair is sticking out at the bottom now. I cannot do bonnets because I dislike all my hair gathered in them and I like to keep it straight. I also cannot do night buns or knots of any kind. I like the headband idea, though, and will probably try that. I am quite an active sleeper (I toss and turn loads) and almost anything I try comes off.

Instead of using a PJ leg, I bought a strip of silk satin 1/2 metre by 60 inches. I sewed it into a tube using a french seam, leaving the selvedge at top and bottom. (Note: 1/2 a metre is a little bit too narrow really - I had to fudge things a bit to make it wide enough to comfortably fit over my head - I'd advise a larger tube circumference). Anywho, then I did something pretty similar to the headband method up top, except that I tacked the headband on.

It works nicely with loose hair, english plait(s) (1 or 2) and french plait(s). I can't really do dutch ones so I haven't tried those out properly. As well as protecting the hair, it's handy because it lets me dry my hair loose without getting strange bumps and curls from where I've slept on it funny - the cap keeps my hair around my head nice and flat and in place. I usually just chuck the tail of the cap up over my pillow but sometimes I make it into a low beebutt bun and weave the ends of the cap into the coils. That's nice because it makes my ends curly.

...only problem is that I'm reaching the end of the cap and pretty soon the ends will start sticking out the bottom...

angelshair
May 8th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Now, ends sticking out of my sleeping tube thing is a problem I'd LOVE to have. I use the same method as Panth basically, except I just fold my tube over the hairband. I don't use it when by DBF sleeps over, cause it doesn't look all that hot. :P It looks better since I bought a better-looking scarf though. :D I bought a few off ebay really cheap.

julliams
May 8th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I love your pictures - you are very creative and you put alot of work into those. For me personally, I just have a silk pillowcase - I wouldn't sleep on anything else now. I can't have my hair in a bun, it gives me a restless sleep. I can do an english braid but then I have braidwaves which I don't always want and I find that I am aware that I have a braid in my hair all night.

So my hair stays out all night and it really doesn't bother me all that much. Then again it's not long by LHC standards (just past waist) so it's not a problem for me at the moment. Maybe that will change when I'm at goal???

Panth
May 8th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Now, ends sticking out of my sleeping tube thing is a problem I'd LOVE to have. I use the same method as Panth basically, except I just fold my tube over the hairband. I don't use it when by DBF sleeps over, cause it doesn't look all that hot. :P It looks better since I bought a better-looking scarf though. :D I bought a few off ebay really cheap.

DBF has kinda just got used to mine... Although I woke up the other week and it'd escaped overnight. Turns out it had wrapped itself around DBF's neck and he'd attacked it in his sleep...

I love your pictures - you are very creative and you put alot of work into those. For me personally, I just have a silk pillowcase - I wouldn't sleep on anything else now. I can't have my hair in a bun, it gives me a restless sleep. I can do an english braid but then I have braidwaves which I don't always want and I find that I am aware that I have a braid in my hair all night.

So my hair stays out all night and it really doesn't bother me all that much. Then again it's not long by LHC standards (just past waist) so it's not a problem for me at the moment. Maybe that will change when I'm at goal???

For me the main reason for having a cap not a pillowcase is that I toss and turn and even if I start off with my length chucked up over the pillow it doesn't always stay there. Seeing as it's the ends that are most delicate and most prone to getting slept on and smooshed about, a cap thing helps lots. I can't sleep with buns either ... tried but it's just so uncomfortable. Something always pulls.

creationsintime
May 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I joined the community just to have these questions answered. If I sleep with my hair loose, I get a knot at the base of my neck. I get a knot during the day anyway if I don't do something with this portion of hair.

I generally sleep with a French or English braid. No special pillowcase. Or if I'm really tired, I just wrap a bun on top of my head and use hair clips.

For anyone interested in the motorcycle class "do-rag," we have a local fabric shop that will make anything you want! They are both bikers, :cool: and they make them from mostly cotton/poly. You might want to contact them about custom silk.

Marlene may want to order the fabric, or may use what you send her. Prices are very reasonable. :)
http://www.thayerrags.com

Thank you all for the useful information.
Katie

terpentyna
May 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I found a couple of nice silk scarves at a local thrift store. I had to do a bit of digging, and hand-washed them thoroughly before using them, but it was a good alternative for a cash-strapped girl!

Yes! I posted about that somewhere. Also, for those who make their own bonnets, you can look for some silk button up shirts in thrifts stores, I used to see a lot of the matte kind.

Chetanlaiho
May 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I'm beginning to get confused whether I should get a satin or a silk scarf/pillowcase/cap ^^:

I have a pillowcase that is categorized as satin but it doesn't feel like it somehow. I sleep with a braid but maybe I can get used to a cap (anything for my hair really xD) plus that way I don't have to keep moving the braid every time I toss and turn xD

rogue_psyche
May 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I adapted WaitingSoLong's method and it works nicely with plaits.

Instead of using a PJ leg, I bought a strip of silk satin 1/2 metre by 60 inches. I sewed it into a tube using a french seam, leaving the selvedge at top and bottom. (Note: 1/2 a metre is a little bit too narrow really - I had to fudge things a bit to make it wide enough to comfortably fit over my head - I'd advise a larger tube circumference). Anywho, then I did something pretty similar to the headband method up top, except that I tacked the headband on.

It works nicely with loose hair, english plait(s) (1 or 2) and french plait(s). I can't really do dutch ones so I haven't tried those out properly. As well as protecting the hair, it's handy because it lets me dry my hair loose without getting strange bumps and curls from where I've slept on it funny - the cap keeps my hair around my head nice and flat and in place. I usually just chuck the tail of the cap up over my pillow but sometimes I make it into a low beebutt bun and weave the ends of the cap into the coils. That's nice because it makes my ends curly.

...only problem is that I'm reaching the end of the cap and pretty soon the ends will start sticking out the bottom...

The only problem with this is that I need to keep the braid close to my head. DBF and I share a tiny bed and I toss a turn a bunch. Half the time I turn over one of us is lying on top of my braid. I just know that in my sleep I'm not dislodging it without pulling it.

Phexlyn
May 9th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I like your pictures! The headband idea sounds quite convenient.

tgagurl27
May 9th, 2011, 03:39 AM
ahahaha i used to do the beanie thing in the winter lol

dinnee
May 9th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I always take a silk scarf with me, that I tie around the pillow. The knots go in the back and volá, a custom made silk pillow case.

Right now I always sleep in two braids, but they are starting to become long, so I'm thinking about wrapping them around my head and pinning them with bobby pins. Does anyone do this?

Becky9679
May 9th, 2011, 06:07 AM
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/th_P1030516.jpg (http://http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/th_P1030516.jpg)

This is a great idea, I have some old silky trousers and tried this out last night, it works great (my hair is nowhere near as long as yours yet) Only difference is I opened the seams up slightly and used the excess to tie around my head to secure the 'cap' - it didn't move all night.

WaitingSoLong
May 9th, 2011, 08:07 AM
My cap usually stays on and my ends do stick out now but only a little. If I braid it, nothing sticks out but I usually do not do the stocking and the braid, just one or the other since I have a satin pillowcase.

With the cap or the braid, DH never ends up on my hair. But with it loose, count 10 seconds and I am screaming in pain. LOL. I cannot remember the last time I slept with it loose. I think I may have when he was out of town one night last year. I love the cap because it takes 5 seconds to put on and I don't have to spend the time braiding or ven detangling if I am really tired.

Still is an ugly thing, tho. lol