PDA

View Full Version : Do you think a more blunt hemline would avoid some tangles?

shikara
February 5th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I have fine hair that is thinner at the ends. I'm pretty sure ends are what cause the most mini-tangles but I don't see (m)any splits there. My hairs do seem to hug each other though. Do you think a fuller hemline could minimize tangles? (Don't where this 'logic' comes from:rolleyes:)

McFearless
February 5th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't say a fuller hemline but blunt hemlines in my experience reduce tangles. Currently I have layers at so many lengths and the hairs wrap around eachother more than usual.

akurah
February 5th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Personally I doubt it. A trimmed hemline (like trimming a quarter inch) would probably do more than a blunt one.

Cailie
February 5th, 2011, 10:07 PM
indirectly I would say more "yes" than "no". Here are my thoughts :

Any kind of damage = tangles

&

keeping a blunt hemline is easier to maintain damage-free hair (with a few dusting or trimms when needed)

Ravenwaves 88
February 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM
What a facinating question! When I trim in December.....and I'm close to one length....maybe I'll know :)

Sunny_side_up
February 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I grew out a shorter layered cut for a good few months and felt it getting tangly at the ends. I much prefer even ends, i have pretty much got rid of most my layering now and find my hem thicker and i do like regular trims, making brushing feel great and i think helps me avoid snapping my hairs like in the past when i just left my layers to grow down.

Madora
February 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Most hair tangles regardless (unless you have it confined someway).

If tangling is bothering you, then perhaps you can modify how you wear your hair. Are you wearing it down or up? Do you brush/comb it every day to remove tangles? Do you wear it loose at night?

If you do wear it loose then it's going to have a greater propensity for becoming tangled, and you're going to have to check it more often and detangle.

If the hair feels "crunchy" then perhaps you might try a tiny bit of coconut oil down the strands, especially the last 2 inches.

ibleedlipstick
February 6th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I think that a blunt hemline involves more trimming/care, so there would be less damage that likes to tangle. YMMV, though, and I could be completely wrong.

tinti
February 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I've been wondering about this myself. I have lotsa layers and they tangle like you wouldn't believe. If I leave it down or in a pony etc I have dread-like knots a couple of hours later. In the winter with acrylic/fleece/wool clothes on and dry weather that is, it's better in the warmer months. But that happened when I had a blunt hemline as well if I remember correctly.

Yamainu
February 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Last week I cut my fairytale ends into a blunt hemline, after months of trying to fix the problem with daily s&d. It ended up being about two inches up from my longest ends, though only about half an inch for most of my hair.

I've found my tangles GREATLY reduced. I have soft, manageable ends now - yay! I'm a no-trimmer in general, but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet.

julliams
February 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
My daughter's hair is all one length with a blunt hemline and it tangles terribly. I think it has more to do with the individual hairs and their type rather than how long they are. I think my daughter has not been using cones so I'm going to introduce cones back into her hair routine and see if that decreases the tangling. She's 12 and wants to do her own hair but it's become very difficult for her because the tangles are terrible.