PDA

View Full Version : Search & Destroy Techniques

Tikwichka
February 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I recently trimmed my ends and removed my split ends, however I am at a loss for how to remove the split ends further up my length. Please share your techniques on how to make this tedious task a little easier...

krissykins
February 5th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I generally find lighting that will show the ends of my hair very clearly (like in front of the computer monitor while the browser is on a page with a white background). Then I grab a small section of hair, spread it out a bit, and start searching!

I hope that makes sense.

Tikwichka
February 5th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Yes, it does, thank you :)

Just when I think I've finished a section, I spot yet more spits. *sigh*

krissykins
February 5th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Don't give up hope! Some members here devote hours to getting rid of splits. It's better than losing lots of length :p

Madora
February 5th, 2011, 04:40 PM
If you see splits further up the strands, then they should be removed too. Splits just split further if you don't tend to them.

My eyesight isn't the greatest, so I do S and D in strong sunlight. Because my hair is dark, I always make sure the area behind the split is white so the hair will show up easier.

MissManda
February 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I find that splits and damage show up really well in bright morning or afternoon sunlight. My hair kind of "glows" when it is in the sunshine, so splits are easier to see, but that might just be my hair type.

S&D can be quite overwhelming, especially when you've got a lot of splits and damage to remove, so you can divide your time up into smaller pieces. For example, you could dedicate 30 minutes to an hour or so of every day to S&D so you don't get frustrated with it.

Tikwichka
February 5th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the tips!

MissManda, I think I will adopt this method. At the moment I feel like I could sit all night and still only remove a small percentage of them.

morecowbell
February 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I only recently started to S&D, and one of the techniques that has helped me not get too overwhelmed is to part my hair down the middle, and work one half at a time. I grab a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch section of hair from the front, fan out the ends in very strong light (with the light source behind me so I don't damage my retinas), and snip away. When I'm done with a section, I use a ponytail holder (scrunchie) to hold the finished sections of hair to the front. I hope this makes sense :o

proo
February 6th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I do a session each day backlit by the computer - eventually you catch up and your hair starts feeling so much better.

McFearless
February 6th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I have black hair. Sunlight shows splits the best for me. The contrast between black strands and white dots/ends is hard to miss.

Speedbump
February 6th, 2011, 05:51 PM
You have already received excellent advice on techniques, but I wanted to chime in about the best tool: VERY sharp scissors, preferably fairly small with sharp ends (not school scissors blunt), and used ONLY on your hair. And the minute they start to feel dull and don't cut your hair like buttah, either have them sharpened or retire them. It may SEEM like you're doing S&D when you use dull scissors, but you're not. Dull scissors actually create splits and weak points, and they actually just give you more future S&D sessions.

Ask me how I know. :silly:

HTH!

Speedy

UltraBella
February 6th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I just don't S&D at all. It seems like such a daunting task and I have a lot of hair. Is it bad if I just say to heck with it and never do ?

Kaelee
February 6th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Speedbump: that is SO true!!! My grandma cuts my hair sometimes and within a week I have so many splits because her scissors are really old and dull. I think they tear the hair more than cut it!

Speedbump
February 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I just don't S&D at all. It seems like such a daunting task and I have a lot of hair. Is it bad if I just say to heck with it and never do ?

Only if you get lots of knots and other damage because of it. If you aren't, then count yourself as quite lucky, give yourself a smile and a pat on the back in the mirror, and don't look back. :lol:

Tikwichka
February 6th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Speedbump: You know, I had not considered my scissors... Now I feel daft because it seems like such an obvious thing. Hopefully all that effort has not just made things worse...

UltraBella: My hair has been*very* unruly, so in the past I would straighten it every day. Now that it is longer I think gravity is pulling it down, so it has straightened somewhat. Also coconut oil has helped with frizzyness. However, all those years of straightening and infrequent trims have taken their toll. I'm hoping the tips given here will save my hair :)

vanity_acefake
February 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I sit in the sun at my back door when I s&d. (that is when it is sunny - I live in Scotland!)
Any splits I find go, even they are further up a hair than I would like.
So much less drastic than a hair cut.

Henrietta
February 8th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Well, those splits that are above our hemline are hard to reach, so I like to divide my hair into small sections (the more patience I have on a certain day, the smaller:D) , twist them a little and cut any splits that I see between the hairs that are sticking our. Release and twist again, in other direction or not, to give all the splits a chance to show;)
Also, it's easy for me to notice split ends when I have my hair braided. Not "just braided" but rather at the end of the day, when the braid is frizzy:D
For some people regular, like once a week S&Ds work. Other always have a pair of scissors and they are carrying S&D mission practically all the time:D Find out which option works for you;)

HintOfMint
February 8th, 2011, 10:37 AM
The right light helps a lot. Also for getting the splits that are further up my hair, I grab a section and bend it over my finger and when the shorter ends pop up, I'll snip off the ends that I see are split.

ktani
February 12th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I invested in a good scissors for hair cutting, I use my dresser lamp, and wear extra strong reading glasses (stronger than I need to read with). It all works perfectly and I am not restricted to natural best lighting conditions.

Nera
February 12th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Sometimes I make a braid or twist a section of hair, and focus on the hair that sticks out, because that is often damaged hair. I hope that makes sense too!

podo
February 12th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Be careful not to get obsessive with your S&D! If you tend to have a lot of splits - for whatever reason - and you do an S&D, then a few days later you notice more splits, so you do another S&D, and another, and another, and another... Every time you snip you're cutting off length and eventually (sooner than you think!) you'll discover that not only have you negated your recent growth, but you've actually lost length as well!

If splits are causing tangling then do some S&D, maybe 1-2 sessions after you notice the problems have gone. Then put the scissors down!

Gladtobemom
February 12th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I put on a pair of +2.75 diopter power reading glasses (purchase at any pharmacy or mega mart type place).

Notice the photo below. If you wear glasses, just put them in front of the glasses.
I hunt for splits and white dots. Honestly, though, it's rare to find any these days.

When I do find them, I snip them with my super sharp small hair scissors and try to do it as perpendicular as possible.