PDA

View Full Version : Hair Typing help?

SpinDance
February 5th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hello LHC, I've tried a few times to definitively type my hair but it is really hard for me to keep my hands out of my hair while it's drying. So today I washed (oil shampoo), tied a thin towel around my shoulders to catch drips and left it alone to dry. As much as I could I left it alone. It fell forward over my shoulders a few times and I let it swing back, but no fingers through it and I tried not to touch it.

Photo here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4419&pictureid=95362

It is almost fully dry, with just a few locks at the ends still damp so you can see the wave formation without the fuzz/fluff that happens when it is fully dry. I don't know if you can see, but some of the locks form long, loose spirals.

After combing out, especially if I comb while it's damp, it will look basically straight, but full and sometimes frizzy. Less frizz so as I've used oils and lately oil shampoo, but still volume especially the first day.

Anyone want to suggest what type this is? Thanks for playing!!

Roscata
February 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I'd say 2a/2b. :D

Rocket22
February 5th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I would say 2a

krissykins
February 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I'm going to go with 2a :)

jujube
February 5th, 2011, 10:25 AM
2a as well.

SpinDance
February 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Thank you for taking the time to look and give me your thoughts. I really appreciate it. This in-between hair, not straight, but not curly has been confusing for me. I'm hoping that as I grow out dye and improve the overall condition of my hair that the waves will continue to form more clearly giving me less frizz and more clearly defined waves.

lapushka
February 5th, 2011, 11:16 AM
2a, possibly 2b because the s-waves are a little tighter than I'd expect for 2a, esp. toward the ends.

Lianna
February 5th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I think 2a. :)

Becky Safari
February 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM
2a/2b vote for me

MissManda
February 5th, 2011, 05:11 PM
My first thought was 2a, but it could be 2a/2b, also. :flower:

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Stupid question but... did you detangle at all after washing?? I mean, if I were to wash my hair and then not touch it...it wouldn't look nearly as neat and tidy as it dried! I would have to at least finger comb it to do that! However, I read that to type your hair you should leave it completely alone!

I would like help typing mine, but I don't yet have a pic with air dried, never touched hair!

Quixii
February 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Stupid question but... did you detangle at all after washing?? I mean, if I were to wash my hair and then not touch it...it wouldn't look nearly as neat and tidy as it dried! I would have to at least finger comb it to do that! However, I read that to type your hair you should leave it completely alone!

I would like help typing mine, but I don't yet have a pic with air dried, never touched hair!
Yes, don't touch it at all.
I used to think my hair was wavy, because I always detangled it after I got out of the shower. Then one time I didn't, and was shocked to find a head full of curls! I never thought the detangling was changing my hair because I did it while it was still wet/damp, but apparently it did.

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, don't touch it at all.
I used to think my hair was wavy, because I always detangled it after I got out of the shower. Then one time I didn't, and was shocked to find a head full of curls! I never thought the detangling was changing my hair because I did it while it was still wet/damp, but apparently it did.

Oh gosh! I will try this. Maybe I am not a 1c/2a after all??!!

Maddy_T
February 5th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Is there a thread with the hair types!? I still have to classify mine! :(

Rocket22
February 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Oh gosh! I will try this. Maybe I am not a 1c/2a after all??!!

nope you may not be :) I'm a pretty solid 2b but when I comb it out looks like I'm 1b :)

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Is there a thread with the hair types!? I still have to classify mine! :(

Yup, right here: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954

nope you may not be :) I'm a pretty solid 2b but when I comb it out looks like I'm 1b :)

Ahh very interesting! I usually just comb lightly when out of the shower, but next time I will detangle fully while still in the shower and then NOT TOUCH it (which is super super hard LOL).

Maddy_T
February 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Yup, right here: http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954

Ahh very interesting! I usually just comb lightly when out of the shower, but next time I will detangle fully while still in the shower and then NOT TOUCH it (which is super super hard LOL).
Yay!!! Thanks :):)

SpinDance
February 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM

I finger comb while in the shower and try to just let it hang behind me after rinsing. I put a thin towel under, then folded it around the length and on my head to catch the water, then did the same with an additional towel. These are thin, flour sack cloth towels that absorb quickly. Using more than one just wicks through. All I did today to let it dry was take the towels off carefully, with one towel tied around my shoulders to catch the drips, and left it alone.

The pouf is all volume, when wet it's like a drowned rat, all flat. That's why I wanted the picture with some still damp and stringy.

mojavewolf1
February 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hello LHC, I've tried a few times to definitively type my hair but it is really hard for me to keep my hands out of my hair while it's drying. So today I washed (oil shampoo), tied a thin towel around my shoulders to catch drips and left it alone to dry. As much as I could I left it alone. It fell forward over my shoulders a few times and I let it swing back, but no fingers through it and I tried not to touch it.

Photo here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4419&pictureid=95362

It is almost fully dry, with just a few locks at the ends still damp so you can see the wave formation without the fuzz/fluff that happens when it is fully dry. I don't know if you can see, but some of the locks form long, loose spirals.

After combing out, especially if I comb while it's damp, it will look basically straight, but full and sometimes frizzy. Less frizz so as I've used oils and lately oil shampoo, but still volume especially the first day.

Anyone want to suggest what type this is? Thanks for playing!!
Can anyone tell me how do you type your hair? Please..Thanks

SpinDance
February 6th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Can anyone tell me how do you type your hair? Please..Thanks

The info is under the Articles section here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5).