PDA

View Full Version : How to have silky hair like the models in the adverts?

Dreamkitty
February 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM
:D I always see the pantene ads, herbal essences ads of the models flicking around their ridicously silky, beautiful hair .

But when I buyed the shampoo my hair did not turn out like the models in the adverts. All the shampoo and conditioner does is just make my hair soft, managebale but I have yet to buy a shampoo to get that silky, flowing look.

I was wondering if the models use something along with shampoo?

Bast
February 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Yep. Computers.

Also, lots of heat styling, hair spray, shine enhancers, possibly some fake hair tossed in the mix...

The thing to remember about adverts is that they are designed to sell product, and won't always show the reality behind it. Touchups are very, very common, especially now in the digital age.

Deborah
February 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM
In real life most of it has to do with hair type. Fine textured, non-porous hair tends to shine and swing on its own. Some hair types are just not going to do this, no matter what product one uses. As for the advertisements, as the poster above pointed out, the photo of the model's hair may have been touched up in some way.

Madora
February 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Those tv hair ads are just giant come-ons to get the consumer to run out and buy their products because if you use XyZ brand, your hair will look as gorgeous as the models' hair!

If you believe that, I have a bridge in San Francisco I'd like to sell you!

Beautiful hair is achieved with a lot of patience and tlc. Products alone aren't the answer. And how do we know the models actually USED the products they're advertising? Casting calls go out and hair models audition for the job, just like actors do. The ones with the qualifications for the ad get the job. Some tv advertising can be deceptive, so it's caveat emptor (let the buyer beware)...and canny!

RadiantNeedle
February 5th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Its amazing how many lights they use in the studios when they take those photos. The shine is enhanced by photoshopping (and they cut out all the fly aways, make everything perfect), but to start off with they shine multiple, massive, bright lamps on the model to make their hair shiny. That and wash out complexion imperfections, make their teeth whiter... The list goes on!

TV hair is impossible.

BunnyBee
February 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Fake hair, boot polish and Photoshop. Srsly!

Anywhere
February 5th, 2011, 11:24 AM
If you saw candid photos of those models in real life I bet their hair would be completely different than what you see on TV. Everything looks better when professionally retouched.

tigr
February 5th, 2011, 11:26 AM
The thing to remember when looking at those ads is that those models have *staff*. There's the photographer, who sets up the lighting to give the hair the maximum shine. And there's the stylist, who uses whatever product(s) it takes to make the model's hair look as shiny, smooth and sleek as possible. And they don't care about the long-term effects because their only interest is making that particular advertisement look good. And then there's the photo enhancement person. This video will give you an idea of what is possible with photo retouching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHLpRxAmCrw.

Evie
February 5th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Taking it as read that what you see on tv/magazines is :bs:, what tips/products have people found helped the slip/silkiness? My hair is in much better condition than it ever was, but I have hair that is coarse (not rough, just each strand is pretty thick). That silky look is one I'd love, is it possible at all with my hair type?:confused:

Rhea
February 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Photoshop is their best friend... itīs no reality. :o

fluffybunny
February 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah, there's a ton of photo fakery in those ads. Think about it, have you ever seen hair in real life that looks anything like that? I sure haven't. You'll see thick shiny hair (like Asian and Indian hair) but it still doesn't have that fine liquid silk look to it, because it's coarser. Or if you see really fine silky hair it's just not that shiny and uniform, it will have flyaways and wavy bits. I'd really love to see the real model's hair compared to the ads!

jaine
February 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
When I think of shampoo advertisement hair I think of well-moisturized hair that has all of the nearby hairs on the same wavelength or curl pattern so it doesn't look frizzy. There are definitely some hair-friendly things you can do to make your hair well-moisturized with a more consistent wave or curl pattern. Less shampooing helps my hair feel better moisturized (which is ironic if they're tying to sell shampoo). In the dry winter air, a humidifier helps. Hard-hold gel in soaking wet clean hair, combed or scrunched depending on whether you are trying to loosen or encourage wave...left to dry until it's hard and then scrunch out the crunch...that always leaves me with smooth shiny hair with all hairs on the same wavelength (I.e., no frizz)

I agree that the pictures are unrealitic because of retouching but there are still some things you can do.

heynormy
February 5th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Cones, cones and more cones. Perhaps a little photoshop too! :)

haibane
February 5th, 2011, 01:19 PM
The thing to remember when looking at those ads is that those models have *staff*. There's the photographer, who sets up the lighting to give the hair the maximum shine. And there's the stylist, who uses whatever product(s) it takes to make the model's hair look as shiny, smooth and sleek as possible. And they don't care about the long-term effects because their only interest is making that particular advertisement look good. And then there's the photo enhancement person. This video will give you an idea of what is possible with photo retouching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHLpRxAmCrw.
And editing too. They have hours and hours of footage and they only need to find like 3 seconds where it looks just right and that's enough for one commercial, or hundreds of photographs and they just need ONE to look perfect for a print ad.

littlenvy
February 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM
:) this is my favorite :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUclg-IYNT4&playnext=1&list=PL791548396B6878E6

Dreamkitty
February 5th, 2011, 02:27 PM
:) I didn't think about photoshop, I don't know why that didn't cross my mind because a couple of years ago I remember I used photoshop to make banners, icons etc. There was so many ways to enhance a photo or video! it all makes sense now. I just wondered what other products the models used apart from shampoo so now I know, those products they use are definetly not friendly to the hair if used in the long run.

I must say, I am a easy victim to judging a book by its cover. When im at the shop, I read the shampoo label and it says " have beautiful, silky hair", a few times I gave in and actually brought the item. But now ive realised, whatever shampoo or conditioner I get it gives me the same result.

Shampoo cleans the hair. The conditioner makes my hair soft, tangle free.

I agree that fine, straight hair appears more silkier. My cousin has very straight dark, fine hair. Her hair seems to look silky and shiney even when she puts nothing on her hair. I read that straight hair reflects more light so visually makes it appear that way.

summerjade
February 5th, 2011, 02:51 PM
They want to selll the product!! Some of the models are tv or movie stars to sell this stuff. I've seen some of these models with beautiful hair in the commercials and then see them in a People magazine and their hair is actually short and damaged instead of long and shiny. I believe they use fake hair. No product will do the claims they say they will do. With fake hair and computers, the hair is not real hair like ours. It is just an image to make us want to buy the product.

Phalaenopsis
February 5th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Cones, cones and more cones. Perhaps a little photoshop too! :)
I get more shine without cones :o

I think everything has been said, computers, stylists and the models. I must admit that it happened to me that someone asked me to be a model for hair pictures to sell a certain brand of shampoo, because my hair is so sleek and shiney. I have the fortune of having very fine, sleek but thick hair. Fine, sleek or dark hair get the most shine like you said and it is what it is :shrug:. But don't think that my hair like my signature here looks like that all the time. There's a flash of the camera, there's the perfect combing before my mother took a picture...

In real life, I have flyaways, it can look messy...

Commercials, TV, magazines... it's one big fantasy. Even Heidi Klum said it for herself, I'm not selling myself, I'm selling an illusion, 'cause even I can't look like the girl on that picture that is supposed to be me.

sibylla
February 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
To get really shiney hair (like the women in India) be sure to moisturize all the time.Make coco nut oil treatment and leave over night.Finish rinses with ice cold water.It closes the follicles and makes hair more sleek, hence more shine in the light:)

Amraann
February 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
When I was younger I was a model and IMO all of those photos looked awful.
But they said they looked great and Doctored them.
When they were done they did look great. The same must apply to hair photo shoots?

MissManda
February 5th, 2011, 04:53 PM
:) this is my favorite :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUclg-IYNT4&playnext=1&list=PL791548396B6878E6

:rollin: Thank you for sharing this!

All you can do is take really good care of your hair and learn what works best for your type. :)

I think the hair here on LHC is more beautiful than the shampoo commercials because I know the hair is well-cared for and is more attainable.

Rocket22
February 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Hey just a thought do you think we have any hair models here on LHC??? or if any older memeber remember any hair models we can compare ask for tips etc :)

I certainly think that beautiful hair is out there and we can get to our hairs full potential it just takes work and guess that is why most of us are here.

littlenvy
February 5th, 2011, 05:12 PM
:rollin: Thank you for sharing this!

All you can do is take really good care of your hair and learn what works best for your type. :)

I think the hair here on LHC is more beautiful than the shampoo commercials because I know the hair is well-cared for and is more attainable.
You are very welcome :)

But I have to say that I have seen hair on here that is so beautiful it makes me totally green --> :D And I know its not due to hours of flat iron and at least 4 layers of goop, silicon and alcohol.

LizzyBear
February 5th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I can't stand how those tv and print ads show impossibly perfect hair... it gives what my friends and I call low hair self esteem lol. I'm sure tons of women spend countless hours using heat on their hair in an attempt to replicate these computer generated images only to get the opposite over time- fried, frizzy, damaged hair! I think the women on LHC have the most beautiful hair because they know how to treat their hair instead of falling for these marketing gimmicks :)

Mesmerise
February 5th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Well the first thing they do when selecting models, is they choose models who naturally have silky, shiny hair... it won't be as perfect in person as in the ads... BUT I think we've all seen some women with hair that just falls beautifully and silkily! A good genetic lottery ;)

Then of course they style the hair! My hair naturally gets wisply flyaway bits, but if I use a straightening iron on it...they're gone and bingo, silky hair ;) The same would occur if I were to use a curling iron to achieve curls, the heat would make the hair more uniform, and I wouldn't get the frizz/flyaways...

The truth is I've tried a number of shampoos over the years to find one that suits ME and makes my hair look the best it possibly can, but as yet I've had no success! So, I'm currently trying oil shampooing and will also add some more oil treatments...and I'll get my hair as virgin as its ever going to get (ie only henna for colour!!) and I'll be super careful not to brush harshly etc. etc. etc. and then in a few years, I imagine I'll have the best hair for ME, which still won't make me look like a hair model but it will look a lot better than it does now ;)

Maddy_T
February 5th, 2011, 05:50 PM
It's TOTALLY a mix of lighting, photoshop, coney serums, heat styling and extensions. I'm sorry but no one has hair like in those ads. I remember when there was a bit of a controversy when Cheryl Cole did the hair ad for L'Oreal and people complained because she was wearing hair extensions therefor the look was not attainable for the average gal!. Good on 'em! I'd way rather buy something that looked a bit more realistic and was proven!.

bondeandeebowl
February 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM
PLEASE look at this! Hover over the photo and remove to see the photoshop (this girl is one of my friends, and she has nice hair naturally but you can see the process!). The photoshop on her face is even extreme....

http://ruud92.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d2b8ht0

I've done a lot of hair jobs, and the process is almost always: color (MOST hair advertisements are not natural hair color), cut (so the ends are healthy), style (lots of heat), and shoot. Then photoshop to take away any fly aways and make it look perfect! They usually don't use anything on top of the hair because it really ends up taking away from it. Depending on who you are working for, they will usually use their shampoos (when I did hair stuff I worked for Nick Arrojo, Oribe, and Nexxus, they all used their own products). Oh, and there is always a team of ten or so hair professionals to make it look perfect, even before the photoshop!

Don't let hair advertisements make you feel bad about your hair. The model might have nice hair, but it never ever looks like that in real life! She goes through a lot of cutting/coloring/heat, gets paid, and then is left with rough ugly hair in the end (most of the time, anyway).

lacefrost
February 5th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Don't let hair advertisements make you feel bad about your hair. The model might have nice hair, but it never ever looks like that in real life! She goes through a lot of cutting/coloring/heat, gets paid, and then is left with rough ugly hair in the end (most of the time, anyway).

I've heard the same, it just makes me sad for the hair models. People often tell me my hair is great and I should do hair shows or be a hair model but I know it would just result in my hair being sad again.

McFearless
February 5th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Liar! I clicked your profile. You have everyones dream hair.

Shh.

:D

tigr
February 5th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Oh, and there is always a team of ten or so hair professionals to make it look perfect, even before the photoshop!

TEN??? Seriously? No way a normal person, no matter how skilled, could make their hair look as good as a team of ten stylists could!