PDA

View Full Version : I look like an oil slick.

heynormy
February 5th, 2011, 12:59 AM
So one month and four days into the new year and I'm doing great with my hair resolutions (no cutting or heat), but I've come across another problem.
I have almost no time to wash my hair, seriously. I'm in school 5 days a week and I work 6 days a week. I would wash my hair in the mornings but it take 6-8 hours to dry and I'm not a fan of the wet hair look! As you can imagine this has forced me to go days without washing my hair. Even updos can't hide the oil. So I guess my question is if anyone has any suggestions for dry shampoo? Store bought or homemade would be fine. I've tried baby powder, but with black hair that's not the best item to use!
I'm not sure how the SO people manage to make things work, but big props to you guys!!:D

teela1978
February 5th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I find that dry shampoos and other methods that are supposed to get rid of oil 1) don't work all that well on my hair... it looks a bit less oily, but still looks kinda oily... and some of them leave it feeling really icky; and 2) take longer than just showering real quick. Can you wash it at night and let it dry while you sleep? That's my usual plan.

gman4354
February 5th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Use a natural boar bristle brush, it will spread the sebum down the length of your hair and make the oil look like you put product in it rather than just an un-showered head of hair.

Hope that helped, good luck to you! (:

heynormy
February 5th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I find that dry shampoos and other methods that are supposed to get rid of oil 1) don't work all that well on my hair... it looks a bit less oily, but still looks kinda oily... and some of them leave it feeling really icky; and 2) take longer than just showering real quick. Can you wash it at night and let it dry while you sleep? That's my usual plan.

Unfortunately I get home really late from work and I have to get right to sleep so I can wake up early for school, it's a horrible schedule! :mad:
What about using a BBB? I know that my hair type will poof up, but would I have to brush everyday to spread the oil throughout my hair? Would it even make a difference?

Nastasia
February 5th, 2011, 01:39 AM
There was a thread I saw somewhere around here that suggested using cocoa powder as a dry shampoo. I haven't tried it myself, though.

teela1978
February 5th, 2011, 01:43 AM
BBB takes the oil at my roots and spreads it out a few inches, making my hair look greasier and more slicked down than it started. It supposedly works for others though.

I guess I don't understand how you would have time in the mornings to shower but not in the evenings?

mowo
February 5th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I guess that you take shower every evening before go to bed, so then you can wash your hair also :). It's only 5 more minutes so it doesn't make big difference. I do that all the time and in this way I don't have problems with not having time for washing my hair. It's just part of my shower before I go to bed.

LocustSpawning
February 5th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I use this stuff: Clickedy Click (http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ba/batiste-tropical-dry-shampoo-on-the-go.jpg)

I'm not sure where you're from but this is sold in the UK. It's cheap, and basically does what it says it does! This is white too, but I have black hair, and it works fine. Maybe because it is lighter or brushes out easier than baby powder?

Othala
February 5th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Seriously, if you cannot fit in time to shampoo your hair once a week then something needs to change, and it is not around what you do with your hair but with your crazy schedule. I am concerned about your health and well-being.

Belisarius
February 5th, 2011, 05:53 AM
BBB takes the oil at my roots and spreads it out a few inches, making my hair look greasier and more slicked down than it started. It supposedly works for others though.

I guess I don't understand how you would have time in the mornings to shower but not in the evenings?
Not everyone can simply postpone to sleep.

Dragon
February 5th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I have herd some people use baby power in there hair to make it look less greasy. I’m not sure how well it works as have never tried it.

jasper
February 5th, 2011, 06:12 AM
So one month and four days into the new year and I'm doing great with my hair resolutions (no cutting or heat), but I've come across another problem.
I have almost no time to wash my hair, seriously. I'm in school 5 days a week and I work 6 days a week. I would wash my hair in the mornings but it take 6-8 hours to dry and I'm not a fan of the wet hair look! As you can imagine this has forced me to go days without washing my hair. Even updos can't hide the oil. So I guess my question is if anyone has any suggestions for dry shampoo? Store bought or homemade would be fine. I've tried baby powder, but with black hair that's not the best item to use!
I'm not sure how the SO people manage to make things work, but big props to you guys!!:D

You aren't a fan of the wet hair look, but I am guessing you are not a fan of the oily hair look either. If it was me, I would put up with the wet hair look for 6-8 hours one day of that crazy schedule instead of the oil slick for days on end.

If your hair is long enough you can braid the length and keep it out of the way while you do a scalp wash. Is that what you meant by SO? Scalp only? There is a post in the article section here where someone explains her method for this. that might cur down on drying time, or at least allow for a bun style where the length wouldn't be/stay wet in the bun.

LocustSpawning
February 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM
If your hair is long enough you can braid the length and keep it out of the way while you do a scalp wash. Is that what you meant by SO? Scalp only? There is a post in the article section here where someone explains her method for this. that might cur down on drying time, or at least allow for a bun style where the length wouldn't be/stay wet in the bun.

I think by SO, sebum only was meant. I have no idea how they cope either!! It must take a lot of patience.

I also think the OP should somehow try and make this crazy schedule less harsh, that amount of time spent working and at school could cause major problems for your health and wellbeing! :( I know it'd kill me, anyway.

If the schedule is so intense that you cannot wash your hair, there is a problem, I have no doubt that you (and your hair health!) will suffer :(

Cailie
February 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I think taking a shower, even quickly in 15 minutes, is not an option... minimal hair washing can be included in a quick 15 minutes shower...

Anywhere
February 5th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Wake up 5 minutes earlier a couple times a week to wash it. :shrug:

Dry shampoo takes longer to 'do' than washing for me, as I have to brush it out with a BBB afterwards or else my hair has an awkward powdery tint to it.

But like I said, I think spending 5 more minutes of your shower to wash it or getting up earlier every once and a while to wash it would suffice. You could bun/braid it while it's wet so it wouldn't look so weird.. thats what I do when I have to go somewhere with wet hair.

Anywhere
February 5th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I think taking a shower, even quickly in 15 minutes, is not an option... minimal hair washing can be included in a quick 15 minutes shower...

Well, when I was little I would do "speed showers" to see how fast I could wash my body/hair. The whole shower could take me as little as 5 minutes depending on how I planned it out. :shrug:

jasper
February 5th, 2011, 08:18 AM
It isn't the shower time that is the problem is it? It is the drying time after a shampoo. Without using heat to dry, it is taking too long.

Veer666
February 5th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I have 2 jobs, studying for 2 master degrees at University and play in 2 bands (I only have 1 soon to be husband though...;))

So my schedule is also very tight...

Dry shampoo really does not work well for me! It takes a lot longer and doesn't really look better at all! It takes an awful long time to brush the white stuff out!
Have tried this once, but never again!

I leave 1 or 2 days between washing my hair, because I really don't like the greasy look. I always shower in the morning and really love wet bunning or wet braiding!
This way my do lasts all day. When I leave the house at morning my head is already dry and my lenght won't dry untill the evening, but nobody notices unless they touch the hair.

I would really choose wet bunning/braiding over greasy look, but that's just me...

annieangel149
February 5th, 2011, 08:48 AM
hmmm! im going to get straight to the point here! if you havent got time to wash your hair and give it some attention the best thing for you to do is chop it off! sorry if that seems harsh but if i were u, i would rather have clean healthy short hair than long greasy hair that doesnt look very nice! hope i havent offended\! its just my opinion!!

Celtic Morla
February 5th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I would just go with a braided look and make sur eyou wear a hat to kee from getting a chill. I do this myself as I take as hower int he morning after sleeping with oil, and my hair s BSL I htink so it takes time to dry so I french braid it and let it down later .

bumblebums
February 5th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I do these two things.

1. I use a microfiber towel or an old t-shirt instead of a terry cloth towel. Microfiber is super-absorbent and will get a lot of water out of your hair in just 5 to 10 minutes. I put my hair in a kind of "towel bun" (look up tichel tying instructions to get the idea), and it gets dry enough and doesn't get roughed up in the process.

2. Wet-bunning: once the hair is not dripping, I put it up in a simple bun held with a U-shaped pin or two. The hair near the scalp gets dry in maybe 20-30 minutes, but the bun stays damp until I take it down. I swear, though, that my hair prefers being bun-dried to being air-dried. I can also put a hat over this and not suffer even on a super-cold day.

teela1978
February 5th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Not everyone can simply postpone to sleep.
She implied in her first post that getting up in the morning extra early to shower wasn't a problem, the wet hair was a problem. Is there that much of a difference between going to bed 10 minutes later and getting up 10 minutes earlier? To me there isn't. I was (and am) kinda confused. Is there a difference between the two for some people? I'm curious.

patienceneeded
February 5th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I can understand being tired and being on a tight schedule, but if not washing your hair is bothering you then you'll need to sacrifice something to be able to wash. I also value my sleep and after having a child I discovered that I no longer had time to shower in the mornings...the kiddo took all that time. So, I started showing at night. Set a timer if you need to, it doesn't take that long to wash your hair. I slept with my (wet) hair in a braid or low bun and it worked fine. In fact, my hair was usually still damp in the morning and dried nicely in loose waves after I unbraided it. I would advise the night-time shower, and then going to sleep. It's much harder to wake up earlier (for me) than it is to just shower before bed. Also, get some headband/headscarves for those days when a shower just isn't happening to cover the greasies. Worked for me. Good luck!

Deborah
February 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I would just have a quick shower and hair wash before plopping into bed. Don't even comb it out. Just put a towel over the pillow, and let the hair dry naturally (at least part or most of the way) overnight. That way you could sleep in the extra 15 minutes, and you will have slept just as long as if you had washed it in the morning. None of that dry cleaning stuff is any good, and it takes at least as long as the actual shower/hair wash.

My guess is that the hair is not the real problem. You are likely feeling overwhelmed by your present responsibilities and schedule. Most of us go through this at various times in our lives. It really will ease up. :flower:

Not to sound smart-alecky, but maybe you could spend less time on LHC, or something else on the internet, and use that time for actual hair washing. Honestly though, if there is really no way to find 15 minutes once or twice a week to wash your hair, maybe you have longer hair than you can handle at this time in your life.

amaiaisabella
February 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM
What about a wide cloth headband to cover greasies? Sometimes I don't have time to wash and dry so I put my hair up in a cinnabun and cover with a cute headband or scarf tied around. Looks stylish and covers up any bad hairdays ;)

Lamb
February 5th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Honestly, if you are that pressed for time, and your hair takes that long to dry, just use a blowdrier. Really. On a low setting, securing your hair into place with a hairnet so it doesn't get blown around (reduces friction!), blowdrying is not harmful.

Going around with a greasy head would certainly do more harm to my self-esteem and devotion to long hair than blowdrying twice a week. :twocents:

heynormy
February 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone!!
As many of you have mentioned it's not about finding time to wash my hair. Sure I could wake up 10 minutes earlier or sleep 10 minutes later so I could wash my hair when I shower, but it's the time it take for my hair to dry. My hair is wavy and fairly thick, so as you can imagine any kind of touching or movement causes major fluff!
Someone mentioned scalp only washing and I think I remember seeing an article about it a few months ago, so maybe I will also look into that!

Lamb
February 5th, 2011, 03:02 PM
but it's the time it take for my hair to dry. My hair is wavy and fairly thick, so as you can imagine any kind of touching or movement causes major fluff!

Which is why I suggested investing in a hair net and blowdrying. Hair nets are flexible, you can get all your hair under them, and wearing one while you blowdy reduces friction. I'm a babyfine wurly, and a hair net + blowdrying does not mess with my wurl pattern, which is why I can recommend it to others with more resistant hair types.

jaine
February 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I like the wet bunning suggestion ... I do that all the time.

ravenreed
February 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Using a dry shampoo takes me all of about 5 minutes. I use it at least once a week when I have somewhere to go that I didn't plan for and I don't have time to shower and let my hair dry.

I spray it on my crown and especially along my part, finger comb it through and let it sit a couple of minutes. Then I use a regular brush to start brushing it out, in my case a Tangle Teezer. The final step that gets rid of any powdery residue is to use a BBB. For some reason that is the key to getting it all out. My hair is very dark and any residue would show up really well.

I will say that I don't use dry shampoo when my hair is overly oiling, just on the days where my part is looking flat and icky and the rest of my hair is fine. I don't like to stack dry shampoo days because my scalp feels like it has more buildup if I use the dry shampoo twice in a row. So I will use it only to stretch a washing a day until I have more time to take care of my hair.

ETA: I use Batiste too. I have tried a few brands and I like that one best. I get mine at Sally's Beauty Supply.

heynormy
February 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Which is why I suggested investing in a hair net and blowdrying. Hair nets are flexible, you can get all your hair under them, and wearing one while you blowdy reduces friction. I'm a babyfine wurly, and a hair net + blowdrying does not mess with my wurl pattern, which is why I can recommend it to others with more resistant hair types.

Do you get your hair nets from a beauty supply store?

Angela_Rose
February 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I've never tried a dry shampoo, but when I've been very pressed for time, I have twice used baking soda. It was... strange. I didn't like the almost grainy feeling to my hair and I just didn't like it.

So I have a suggestion for you- hats. I don't know where you are, so I don't know what season it is for you, but 'round these parts it is COLD and SNOWY, but the air is very dry (when it's not snowing), so I wash less often in the winter than I do in the summer. This means my hair gets a bit oilier now, and it's perfect hat weather.

I totally understand the "crap! it takes 8-10+ hours for my hair to dry!" thing. My hair's pretty thick, coarse, and wurly, so it takes hours upon hours to dry, and it can be a real pain in the hiney to have wet/damp hair dripping down my back all day.

heynormy
February 6th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I've never tried a dry shampoo, but when I've been very pressed for time, I have twice used baking soda. It was... strange. I didn't like the almost grainy feeling to my hair and I just didn't like it.

So I have a suggestion for you- hats. I don't know where you are, so I don't know what season it is for you, but 'round these parts it is COLD and SNOWY, but the air is very dry (when it's not snowing), so I wash less often in the winter than I do in the summer. This means my hair gets a bit oilier now, and it's perfect hat weather.

I totally understand the "crap! it takes 8-10+ hours for my hair to dry!" thing. My hair's pretty thick, coarse, and wurly, so it takes hours upon hours to dry, and it can be a real pain in the hiney to have wet/damp hair dripping down my back all day.

It's winter where I am however it doesn't snow where I am, but it does get fairly cold so maybe I'll pick up some hats!
A little update on my quest to battle the oiliness: I tried to scalp wash only and that turned into a major task! Maybe with a little bit of practice I will get better!:D

monsterna
February 6th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Heynormy,

I echo a few things here. Take the extra 10 minutes to shower at night, and lay a towel over your pillow(s) if you want to. Just sleep on it, or put it in an updo or braid to sleep on. I cut out heat about a month ago too. I used to hate how my hair looked when I didn't dry it, and now it's the opposite! I'm almost at APL and my hairstyle of choice is a half up at the moment. I have wavy hair which looks kinda wonky after sleeping on it wet, but putting it in a half up and blow drying my bangs again (on a low, cool/warm setting) makes it all look okay.

On that note, if you want to blow dry, as Lamb said, then go for it! The problem with blow dryers is excessive heat and making your hair whip all over the place. Put it on a warm or cool setting, and it's okay. And then have the wind on low setting and/or get a hair net as suggested. You don't have to dry it 100% anyway.

Hats are also a good option. But seriously, if it's cold where you are, don't go out with wet hair. Showering at night and/or using a hair dryer sounds like the best option.

I can't imagine having no time to wash my hair, but I've never been in a situation where I absolutely had to do the things you're doing. So, good luck!

julliams
February 6th, 2011, 01:55 AM
When I was at uni and busy with work I used to wash my hair at night, put on a hairnet (pin it on with bobby pins as it could come off) and let it dry naturally all night. In the morning my wavy hair would sit all nice and smooth and be totally dry.

Having said this, i just damp bun now and although it's still wet by night, I can then take it out and let it dry whilst I'm doing dinner etc.

Hairnets can be bought at pharmacies and the hair section in the supermarket. I'm sure you can find one online if you don't have time.

Lamb
February 6th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Do you get your hair nets from a beauty supply store?

I get them from the drugstore. :shrug: Most widely available accessory ever - dirt cheap, too.

heynormy
February 6th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I get them from the drugstore. :shrug: Most widely available accessory ever - dirt cheap, too.

I can't find them in my drugstores, but I found some at Sallys Beauty Supply! I just finished washing my hair (I actually had time today:D) so I might try the hairnet trick! I also picked up a BBB...double win today!:cheese:

kwaniesiam
February 6th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Haven't read the entire thread, but I was going to suggest a microfiber towel to suck away the excess water in your hair after you wash so it dries faster, or even drying it on a low or cool setting.