PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pools and Chlorine...

gman4354
February 4th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I have a job as a lifeguard and I also teach swim lessons to little kids, which requires me to get get in the water (I love my job though, don't get me wrong!). Besides a swimming cap, what can I do to protect my hair from the Chlorine and other chemicals in the pool?

I already put some EVOO in my hair beforehand, wet my hair before I get in the pool and wash it with water as soon as possible after I get out.

What else can I do?

Thank you in advanced! (:

rosek
February 5th, 2011, 02:21 AM
I think the steps you are already taking are the best to protect your hair. If you are working outside, you could invest in a UV protectant spray or a hat to prevent sun damage or bleaching of your hair. I would also suggest clarifying to remove any buildup of the pool water. Good luck!

ericthegreat
February 5th, 2011, 02:34 AM
The steps that you are already taking (oiling your hair with EVOO, wetting & putting it all in a swim cap) are very good measures in protecting your hair from the pool water.
If you want to further make sure that you get all the chlorine out of your hair, after your lifeguard duties go to the showers and wash your hair with a anti-chlorine shampoo that is made specifically for swimmers. You can find these kinds of shampoos at any major beauty supply, I know Sally's carries them. And after shampooing, you will also want to follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner since both the exposure to the pool water & washing with the shampoo will no doubt dry out your hair.

gman4354
February 5th, 2011, 06:40 AM
The steps that you are already taking (oiling your hair with EVOO, wetting & putting it all in a swim cap) are very good measures in protecting your hair from the pool water.
If you want to further make sure that you get all the chlorine out of your hair, after your lifeguard duties go to the showers and wash your hair with a anti-chlorine shampoo that is made specifically for swimmers. You can find these kinds of shampoos at any major beauty supply, I know Sally's carries them. And after shampooing, you will also want to follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner since both the exposure to the pool water & washing with the shampoo will no doubt dry out your hair.

I think the steps you are already taking are the best to protect your hair. If you are working outside, you could invest in a UV protectant spray or a hat to prevent sun damage or bleaching of your hair. I would also suggest clarifying to remove any buildup of the pool water. Good luck!

Okay, thank you very much! I wasn't sure if there was anymore steps I could take, so I just wanted to check. (:

krissykins
February 5th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I would like to add that rinsing hair with club soda (before and/or after) is also a way to protect your hair.

Ktani's article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115)

gman4354
February 5th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I would like to add that rinsing hair with club soda (before and/or after) is also a way to protect your hair.

Ktani's article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115)

Carbonated water? I've never heard of putting that in your hair before, I shall give it a try though!