PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out --- dry, velcro, tangly white ends and clarifying is NOT helping

monsterna
February 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I really need some advice because I'm starting to freak out about my hair. The last few days the ends of my hair have been absolutely horrible. The last thing I had done to my hair was a cut and some highlights in Dec 2009. I know I'm growing out some damage, but it's really bad. My routine is CO with coney conditioner (hair feels better with them) and that's about it besides sometimes clarifying and sometimes a deep coconut oil treatment. I haven't used a hair dryer in almost a month, which has made my hair feel better, but....

The ends for the past couple of days are very crunchy and it's harder to comb through them. I S&D a few times a week to avoid trimming my hair, and when I grab a section of hair, I swear at least 50% of it needs something snipped off, and often an inch or more up the shaft. Some are full on splits, some are white dots, some are tiny splits I can see forming from white dots, and some are white dots up the shaft like the hair is breaking in the middle and not just splitting at the end.

I've tried clarifying these past few nights, once with Suave clarifying shampoo, the other nights with Giovanni 50/50, and nothing is working. I moisturize after I clarify, and the problem remains. I am thinking of getting a chelating shampoo tomorrow, but I still feel it'll just be another of my myriad wastes of money and add to the unused bottle collection already in my shower.

To make matters worse, I think when I had my hair cut last, she razor cut around the areas framing my face, or at least used thinning shears. So I have LOADS of varying lengths of hair around my face (and damaged from using crappy cutting instruments), making trimming (and often S&D) not possible or effective long term.

I don't know what the problem could be. Colder weather? (Even though I'm in Texas and it fluctuates on a daily basis.) Protein? If anyone has ever been in a similar situation, I'd love to hear some solutions! Thank you!

Mesmerise
February 4th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Now, I'm only a newbie here, and others' opinions will vary but...

I think you should probably get the ends trimmed off. When there's a lot of splitting and white dots, there's really nothing you can do to heal the hair. The only answer is to cut as much of that damaged area as you can off.

Of course you can keep on S&Ding those hairs, but usually it's easiest I think to get that bottom 1" cut off. To me it sounds as if you're doing everything right and treating your hair as well as possible, so I've got no doubt that in time your overall hair will improve, but as far as I know there's no cure for a split end or a breaking hair besides cutting the hair off above the split or the break.

I'm not suggesting you get a whole heap cut off, but do get a reasonable trim and you'll probably get rid of a lot of those really problematic ends.

krissykins
February 4th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I believe this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44) article may provide some help.

:flower:

McFearless
February 4th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Aw no thats sad to hear:( Unfortunately that can only be cured with trimming. I don't know how long your hair is at the moment but I'd maintain at the same length for a few months with small trims every other month. Once the split ends and damage is gone growing it out will be so much easier.

In the mean time keep your hair up as much as possible and continue doing what you're doing.

Delila
February 5th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Have you tried a chelating shampoo? (Chelating and clarifying are not the same thing.)

It's possible you have buildup that needs a bit of extra help in removal.

Here's a link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194) to an article that may help you identify some solutions.

rose.grace
February 5th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I second the chelating shampoo suggestion. Check out this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=64850&highlight=Yay%2C+finally+hair+back) thread. She had the same problem. Good luck!:D

monsterna
February 5th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys. I will definitely try to get that chelating shampoo today when I go out. I'm hoping it will work. It's almost at APL and I definitely don't want to trim anything back at the moment, so I'll try that and keep with the S&Ds (and hopefully my Night Blooming oils get here today!).