PDA

View Full Version : Accessory for little boy?

sherigayle
February 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM
My DS is 5 and his hair is fine and curly and about SL when dry, APL when pulled out. The front is past chin length, but not much longer than that. I can't get the front into a pony tail, which he doesn't really like anyway. I know this hair is going to bother him a lot this summer and I'd like to get him used to the idea of pulling some of it back. He gets tired of hats and bandanas pretty quickly. I think if it's pulled back he might just forget about it. Oh, and he won't let me use the little silicone bands at all. ~sigh~

Any ideas for a small, simple accessory to keep the hair out of his face? The mini Flexi 8's are about the right size, but since I wear them, I don't think he'd wear one. I need something masculine.

Panth
February 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM
One of my male friends is growing his hair out and to combat the awkward stage when his fringe was in his eyes but too short to go behind his ears... he bought a black, soft, stretch-fabric headband. One of the sort you'd use to keep back short hair or tame the shorter bits of long hair whilst exercising. He/his gf calls it his "mandana". :P

It seems to be a better option than what another male friend of mine did once: ignore the long bits, except when doing metalwork (he was understandably afraid his fringe could get caught in the electric drills and other electric tools). He would then steal his mother's hair clips. Only one time he forgot to take them out when popping round to visit a neighbour ... I believe they were floral and caused quite some embarrassment when he realised they were still in.

HairColoredHair
February 4th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Maybe take him to Claire's or the Icing or something similar and let him pick out something for himself? (Maybe Hot Topic too, actually)... Something gothy or piratey might be masculine enough for him and he'd like it best because HE picked it out.

jeanniet
February 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM
How about a Buff? You can use them in a lot of different ways, and they are definitely cool! There's sure to be a fabric that he likes. :cool:

julliams
February 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to invent one and then sell them on etsy!!!!!

julliams
February 4th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Ok - here ya go - http://boyrettes.com/ Check these out - I think there are some girls who would go for these too!!! I am certain you could make these yourself with a hot glue gun and some cheap plastic $2 shop toys.

julya
February 4th, 2011, 04:21 PM
With my six year old son, we have been doing a style like a french braid, but with those metal free ponytail holders. I take a section from in front of his ears and ponytail that, then get another section and add it to the first ponytail and use another ponytail holder. Then gather all the hair together at the nape, and ponytail it again. I think it is a great look for a little boy. I'll try and get a photo, it's how he's wearing his hair to day.

sherigayle
February 4th, 2011, 07:04 PM
You guys have the best ideas! And I love the boyrettes. I think we'll have to make a trip to the dollar store this weekend. And maybe get a little piratey at Hot Topic.