PDA

View Full Version : Short hairs at the nape of my neck: what do you do with yours?

intothemist1999
February 4th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Usually I wear my buns and ponies a bit higher up on my head. That means the short hairs at the nape of my neck are left hangin'. Sometimes they form very cute curlies, but even when they do, they are often too long. With some buns, I can get away with twisting them into a mini-pincurl and pinning it in place, but sometimes they come loose fast because I don't want to use too many pins (and there isn't enough hair for the pin to hold onto).

One time I looked and all the hairs formed like one "sublayer", all about 2" in length and forming something like a "secondary" hem. LOL It was just plain weird looking. :rolleyes:

I'm worried that if I just cut it short, it will be one very short secondary hem, and with the short length they will just stick out in different directions.

Any thoughts on what I can do about these hairs?

FoxRain
February 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'll follow this thread, as I have the same problem. I try to pin the loose hairs, but with my fine hair they just slip away.

Yozhik
February 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hmm...I have those, too, but I don't worry about them too much.

Perhaps a light oiling on the underlayer would help?

Hope that helps! :)

MrsGuther
February 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I'll follow this thread, as I have the same problem. I try to pin the loose hairs, but with my fine hair they just slip away.

I have the same problem too! I try to pin the hairs but they just fall right back out of whatever hairdo I was attempting to do.

Lianna
February 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Mine curl and look intentional, so I leave them be now. I didn't like them either.

Mebo
February 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I just curl them around my finger, and leave them.....

intothemist1999
February 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I just curl them around my finger, and leave them.....

The only way mine would stay like that is if I left my finger in, as well! LOL

HintOfMint
February 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I just whine and complain about them, while I slowly fray them with my fingers (they split easily, so I get some sick pleasure out of destroying them further)

morecowbell
February 4th, 2011, 02:29 PM
The only thing that works for me consistently is to glop a good teaspoon of aloe vera gel on them and comb them up into my scalp, and if they happen to be especially mean that day, I like to use snap clips to keep them in place: http://mibelloboutique.com/images/clippies/Metal_Snap_Clip.112184541_std.jpg
They work really well :)

Panth
February 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Curse them. Or rather, it: I seem only to have this problem on a section about 1/2" x 1 1/2" on the left.

Sometimes I twist them together and try to tuck them into/around my bun (I do quite low buns), but usually they just come loose again so I end up doing this all day. Sometimes I bobby pin them up. I have considered taking DBF's bead trimmer to them...

But, usually I just curse them. :P

spidermom
February 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I twirl them around a very lightly gelled finger, then walk away from the mirror and forget about it. Some of them curl, some don't, but I think they soften the look of an up-do either way (but my favorite is the curlies).

Madora
February 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I hardly have any short nape hairs, but when my hair was shorter, I'd use a bobby pin or two to hold 'em down.

frodolaughs
February 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I shut my eyes and pretend they aren't there. Nothing else I do accomplishes anything. (I get them all the way around my hairline, but most especially around my face)

darklion
February 4th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I think (and hope) they're universal. We all have them!!!

intothemist1999
February 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Darn! LOL I was hoping someone would have some cunning secret to working with them. They look so sloppy, especially because at work I mostly wear a tight, mean-lady bun, the most "relaxed" 'do being a French twist! lol

Between the time I pin them, just before leaving the house, and when get to work, I can see these darned hairs sticking out the sides of my neck. If they would at least lie flat that would be better than nothing.

I'm thinking I might just go ahead and trim them to about1/2"-1", and flatten them with water or aloe before I go out.

Cailie
February 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I actually like mine and don't mind them being a bit wild :D

intothemist1999
February 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Well, it's funny, Cailie, if it were just up to me, I don't really care. However, since I struggle to look "tidy", I feel they really sabotage me at the workplac.e

Cirafly24
February 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM
The only thing that works for me consistently is to glop a good teaspoon of aloe vera gel on them and comb them up into my scalp, and if they happen to be especially mean that day, I like to use snap clips to keep them in place: http://mibelloboutique.com/images/clippies/Metal_Snap_Clip.112184541_std.jpg
They work really well :)

This, exactly. When my hair is freshly washed, if I put my hair up, those little nape hairs are just hopeless. They're all poofy, and too short to include in the updo. If my hair is oiled, I can usually get them to stay up, but if not, I use a snap clip....or I just pretend they don't exist.

intothemist1999
February 4th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I see I'm defeated. LOL I use those snap clips, they hold the best for me. Still, they can't keep those whispy shorties up for long.

McFearless
February 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Bobbypin them when wet. Works for me.

Tressie
February 4th, 2011, 03:49 PM
The only way mine would stay like that is if I left my finger in, as well! LOL

:rollin: This for me too! :rollin: I have wild-woman wispies!

jeanniet
February 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I shut my eyes and pretend they aren't there. Nothing else I do accomplishes anything. (I get them all the way around my hairline, but most especially around my face)
This. What I can't see won't hurt me.:D

Honestwitness
February 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I have dealt with this issue for the a while now and I performed my own experiment with clipping/cutting the nape hairs. I documented the before and after, including the growing back out, in this album:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7212

I was careful to clip only the nape hairs that grow down the sides of my neck. I am very pleased that this didn't make my nape look weird, even while growing the nape hairs back out.

Silverdragn7385
February 4th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I pin mine back...but when it gets too irritating...I cut 'em. They naturally curl under prettily when cut to where they're only a few inches long. :P

ibleedlipstick
February 5th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I glare and curse at them:D and then try to slick them down/oil them down/pin them down, with varying degrees of success. I want it to be perfect!!!! And they always make my buns seem so messy. Grrrrr.

milagro
February 5th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I have a whole range of those, from 1 inch to good 5-6. They will come loose no matter how I pin,gel or braid them. Besides, they don't have the same wave.
If I want them more or less in place I often wear a thin head band, the complete circle kind.

kcyarn
February 5th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I have them at the temples and the nape. They don't bother me half as much as the platinum blonde birth mark on my right temple. (I actually have a blending trick for updos that makes it a little less noticeable.)

rosek
February 5th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I just leave them alone. I've found that since I started wearing buns alot, there is much less breakage there, so there really aren't that many of them. I have some around my face too - I just leave them be.

noelgirl
February 5th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I just leave mine. I think there's something kind of romantic about having a few wispies, actually.

intothemist1999
February 5th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Well since I seem have sprouted MORE over time, I went for it and trimmed them short last night.

They looked a bit bushy or "wooly" last night, but I slicked them down with water. This morning, they are all sort of curling under and I'm quite happy with them!

I didn't think to do a before pic , but I'll try to post an after pic later on.

eta: @ Honestwitness: I have those same side hairs! lol When I trimmed them all yesterday, then looked in the mirror,those ones at the sides were STILL sticking out, so I trimmed them even shorter.

Bluegrass Babe
February 5th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I like the look of the wispies at the nape, especially when they curl a little. It makes updo's look less severe and more feminine.

But if you are wearing a mean old lady bun I guess that is not the professional look you're going for.

I agree with Silverdragn, if they are not long enough to pin under the bun then clip them to a length they will curl under or make little tendrils.

I saw in someone's album (can't remember who) that she just waxed hers so her hairline was even and her neck was smooth. I also know some women who just shave them off with small hair trimmers.

spoonshine
February 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
If I can be bothered to wet mine they curl, which I like. Some days, like today, I'll wear a headband (today its just a simple crocheted cord) along with a bun and that holds them out of the way. What is annoying me lately though is that one side is thicker than the other.

I have seen them trimmed on other people and it can look quite nice and tidy.

Luckysock
February 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I tried to get rid of mine with electrolysis (i have a deep 'M' that i wanted to even out), but it didn't take :( now I have two patched on each side - its awful - I hate it. I'm thinking about lazer, but I don't have the cash to do it right now...

jaine
February 8th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I'm planning to get mine lasered but it's at the end of my list ... I want to do arms, underarms, & bikini first. I had laser hair removal on my legs a few years ago and never regretted it. For now I just buzz the parts of my neck that look furry. I like tendrils too, but there's a difference between having some tendrils hanging down and having the entire back of my neck covered in black fur! :p

Eboshi
February 8th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I generally leave them alone. Once I did gel them up to make them stick out in every direction but only got my collar gunky. YMMV.

adiapalic
February 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
I twirl them around a very lightly gelled finger, then walk away from the mirror and forget about it. Some of them curl, some don't, but I think they soften the look of an up-do either way (but my favorite is the curlies).

^^ Basically my reaction to them--I actually don't even gel them. I like the softness and curlies it adds, and just let them wisp freely.

elaiesusandavie
February 14th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Snappies rule for these

Mesmerise
February 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I have lots of these at the moment... I think more than usual due to massive shedding last year (I have a LOT of short hair all around the hairline perimeter... some of which is normal...but it's sort of excessive).

Usually I just sort of ignore then when my hair is pulled up, because as I said, there's lots of hair around my head that's just short and wispy. However, I don't go for super neat buns or anything either! If I wanted my hair to be very smooth and neat I'd probably use a bobby pin or something to secure them, or find some way of sticking them down (which in the past would have been hair spray).

UltraBella
February 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I like the crazy fuzzy shorties at the nape of my neck, I think they are cute ! I just let them do their own thing, they have never bothered me.

gthlvrmx
February 14th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Usually I wear my buns and ponies a bit higher up on my head. That means the short hairs at the nape of my neck are left hangin'. Sometimes they form very cute curlies, but even when they do, they are often too long. With some buns, I can get away with twisting them into a mini-pincurl and pinning it in place, but sometimes they come loose fast because I don't want to use too many pins (and there isn't enough hair for the pin to hold onto).

One time I looked and all the hairs formed like one "sublayer", all about 2" in length and forming something like a "secondary" hem. LOL It was just plain weird looking. :rolleyes:

I'm worried that if I just cut it short, it will be one very short secondary hem, and with the short length they will just stick out in different directions.

Any thoughts on what I can do about these hairs?

honestly, i just let them grow and let them be wat they are :P it shows growth and im proud of that :D eventually they'll all grow out anyways and im afraid too much contact and pulling on them will pull them out

intothemist1999
February 15th, 2011, 08:03 AM
honestly, i just let them grow and let them be wat they are :P it shows growth and im proud of that :D eventually they'll all grow out anyways and im afraid too much contact and pulling on them will pull them out

Nope, these won't grow. :D They are (were) 2-3" and the rest of the hair is 36+, so I don't expect them to catch up! They have always been like that and usually I've pinned them up but they always fall down. Again, *I* don't care so much, but for at work they look sloppy when the rest of the hair is contained (has to be).

I trimmed them to about 1-1&1/2 inches but that was still a problem. I've trimmed them again, to about 3/4", which is so much better.

LadyG
February 15th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I ignore them. I can't do anything to make them behave, so, I let them do their own thing. But if I'm going somewhere I really need to have perfect hair, I use Aloe Vera gel.

Boudicca
February 21st, 2011, 05:46 AM
Those hairs drive me crazy!! I use clips to pin them up - kirby grips or something more decorative. A couple of them form cute little Austen ringlets, but the rest are just crazily fluffy.