PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on hair care

ashlayne
February 3rd, 2011, 11:47 PM
I just moved into a new apartment in a different part of the same town I've lived in for 8 years now, don't know if this area of town is serviced by the same water utility provider as where I lived though I don't think so. (I can't find info to say whether I'm right or not...) Anyway, the reason I mention that is because ever since I moved into my new apartment, my hair doesn't seem as clean as it usually does.

Let me explain a little. My hair care routine is to wash my hair every one to two days, using Suave shampoo and conditioner (fairly inexpensive, and few to no cones). My hair is thick and fine, so it's especially prone to tangles this time of year, which is the main reason why I use conditioner. Additionally, I wash my hair (twice, if I've had to go for a couple of days without washing it for one reason or another), rinse under the same temp water I take the rest of my shower in (not scalding, but hot), condition, then let that soak in whilst I finish my bath before rinsing the conditioner out with cooler (but not icy) water. I don't use any products outside of the shower, and I very rarely blow-dry my hair (as in, only if I have to bathe for some reason in the morning and it's cold outside, as I don't want to go outside with wet hair -- my girlfriend would kill me!!). I never curl, unless it's overnight with soft curlers, because my hair usually doesn't hold it anyway.

Used to be, that was perfect for keeping it looking clean and nice. Since I moved in here, though, after just 16 hours or so it looks like I haven't washed it in 2 days. My physical activities aren't any different, my sleeping and eating habits haven't changed, so the only thing I can think of is the water. Now, I've only been here for a little under a month, so I suppose it's possible that there's an adjustment period, but I don't like my hair looking that greasy and dirty at the roots after that little amount of time!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do to help my hair not look so bad after so short a time? (And please, no "no-poo" suggestions -- I tried going CO a while back, and it didn't work out for me.)

If it helps at all, my hair is currently about 3" past BSL, and I'm aiming for WL or CL hair eventually. I usually keep it up in a hair claw or hairsticks, or sometimes a braid or looped ponytail (I can't stand my hair on my neck most days). Any tips on helping it grow as well (as I've kinda stalled where I am) are also welcome!!

morecowbell
February 4th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you're having hair troubles. :( I don't have many ideas as to what would be causing this... but one suggestion is to wash your hair with some cheap bottled water instead of your tap water. When I went out to California to visit family last month, I got crazy buildup the first time I washed my hair, and had to use bottled water to wash my hair the whole time I was out there. Maybe just try it for a week, and see if that helps. If it doesn't help it might be another factor (ie, stress, air quality, etc).
I'm sorry to say I don't have much else to suggest, but I hope there's something you can use. :)

Bluegrass Babe
February 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Have you tried an acidic rinse? I suggest apple cider vinegar or citric acid in distilled water or in cooled boiled water. If that fixes the problem you may have hard water.

Or try a water filter on your shower head. (an inexpensive one to start with)

Keep posting with updates. Maybe someone with a better idea will see this next time it comes around.

Good luck.

silverjen
February 12th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I second/third the filtered water idea. If nothing else, it will tell you whether the culprit really is the water. If you have a Brita pitcher, just use that, no need to buy bottled water. Good luck!

ashlayne
February 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Sorry I haven't said anything back! :) Been a bit busy since my last post. Haven't had a chance to try the citric acid rinse yet (just mixed some up), but I'm going to give it a shot starting tomorrow night. (And who knows? Maybe it'll lighten my hair a bit in the process. :D)

One thing I tried for a couple of nights is, when I went to condition, going ahead and parting my hair, then working the conditioner into the ends and working my way up to my roots. It seemed to help some, but not all the way. And I keep forgetting to do it that way. >.< I'm gonna keep working at it, and thanks for your all's help during this time!!

Oh, btw, here's a couple of pics of my hair as it is, when it's clean and looks decent of course. :p The first one shows the colour in sunlight pretty well. The length one isn't really accurate, as it was taken several months ago and my hair has grown a couple of inches since then. I'll uplink a more up-to-date length pic to my profile when it's dry. :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/RANzjmAutlXSJFAxkB5CAKDlD2FNUCBTSqd2wNwdJzs?feat=d irectlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ohf6a8mFuhWpMngdXujnK6DlD2FNUCBTSqd2wNwdJzs?feat=d irectlink

manderly
February 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I'm betting on a shower head/water pressure problem.

There have been places I've visited where the shower managed to only wet the outer surface of my hair. It literally did not penetrate down to my scalp and nape.

You probably aren't having that extreme a problem (you would have noticed :)), but the water pressure may be just weak enough that you aren't lathering and rinsing as thoroughly as you have in the past. I would try taking extra time and really focusing on the lathering and rinsing, giving it a little more effort than normal and see if that helps any :)

AZDesertRose
February 14th, 2011, 08:52 PM
I second the suggestion of the acidic rinse and maybe some kind of filtration on your water.

In addition to trying filtered water, you might also get (assuming you haven't got one already) one of those showerheads with the hose so you can wet and rinse your hair really thoroughly. I have one, and with the cruddy water pressure at my house, it's the only way I can really get my hair good and clean.

Good luck!

ashlayne
February 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM
I haven't got one of those, AZDesertRose; that may be my next step. The acidic rinse doesn't seem to be helping much. =/

I *am* getting better about the new conditioning method I've been trying, and I think that's helping a bit. I can at least go for a full day now without it looking bad. I get paid on Friday, so if I don't see much of a change by then I'll probably look into the shower head thing. Wonder if they make them with filters built in... something to look into! ^_^