PDA

View Full Version : post baby with very thin hair

Felicity
February 3rd, 2011, 11:10 PM
I started growing my hair after a big chop january 2007. It was chin length and now it is waist length. I'm happy about the length but I no longer have the thick hair I once had. I had a baby March 2010 and my hair started shedding like crazy. It shed so badly that I had my shower drain continually getting clogged for 6 months post partum. The shedding did stop after that but my hair is so thin. I was braiding it today and it hit me today how truly thin it is. The ends of my hair after the braid is pencil thin. I don't even know what to do. I don't want short hair again but it's depressing having long hair this thin and I'm not sure if my hair has changed permanantly or not. The last few inches could use a trim but after that I am at a loss. My hair doesn't have fairy tale ends but it's just overall thin and there is quite a taper in a braid. There is damage on the ends but overall condition is good other than the thinning. I used to use a large ficcare but right now it doesn't stay well in a small ficcare. Looking at old pictures the width of one single braid now is half what it used to be. :(

I wouldn't trade finally being a mama for anything but I had no idea what it would do to my hair.:p

Any thoughts or suggestions from other women who've had a big post partum shed would be appreciated.:)

owlathena
February 3rd, 2011, 11:35 PM
I don't have any answers for you, but just had to say hello because I also live in Tacoma (when I'm not away at college...)! Congratulations on the baby! I know from pictures that my moms hair texture changed drastically after she had me. She went from thick ringlets to thinner and wavy. Its strange how pregnancy can change a mamas hair type.

fluffybunny
February 3rd, 2011, 11:44 PM
It will grow back-- post partum shed is just a reaction to the big hormone fluctuation of pregancy & birth. Check this article, it explains it pretty well http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-hair-loss_11721.bc

Sorry I don't have personal experience with childbirth, I just research a lot about hair loss.

Avital88
February 4th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Ahh i feel sorry for you! But believe me, 2 years ago i went through the same.
Its very stressfull to loose al these hairs, but they will come back for sure!
Just take the best care of your hair right now, no dye, no heat and i promise you that in 1 year your hair will be normal again.
Right now my hair i almost the thickest it has ever been, if not the thickest and 2 years ago my hair was maybe 1 inch thick and today at least 5!
I wish you good luck! Xx

Avital88
February 4th, 2011, 01:34 AM
And yes i mean that im also a mother, my baby is now 2,5 years old.
Maybe you should just get a trim to feel a bit better about the ends and if your not breastfeeding i would recommend start to take biotin .
Also eat a lot of protein and take vitamin supplements. You might feel hopeless now but it will be ok.

Aveyronnaise
February 4th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I had the same thing happen to me as well.I had a post natal hair loss period, it seemed like all of my hair was falling out. After a while it started to thicken back up, although I will say this, I breast fed for a long time 2,5 years and at the end of breast feeding it seemed like I had another mini shed out period.
It's been 6 months since finishing up breastfeeding and my hair has lots and lots of new hair growth. It would bug me poking out everywhere but I know it's just replenishing itself.

Mesmerise
February 4th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Been there done that three times! After my first son was born I had quite long hair (must have been very close to waist) but had to have a fairly large chop after he was born... grew it some more...chopped after son 2... and sometime after my daughter was born I ended up chopping it all off very short.

I also had massive shedding last year for some mysterious reason...and this time I'm NOT going for a big chop. I just grew it from just above shoulder length and I'm damned if I'm going back there!!!

My aim is to get to waist (3") and stay there until it thickens up. It will take a good long while, I know that... but whether I chop it or not it will STILL take just as long to get my ideal hair (and who knows, it may not look too bad in a year or so...while it would take longer if I was to cut it all off).

You really have to choose between chopping and waiting for it to grow, and just keeping it the length it's at and waiting for it to thicken! It may help to cut a couple of inches off the end if it looks truly terrible. Good luck with whatever you decide!

ravenreed
February 4th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I had a huge shed after mine were born and it mostly grew back. Hang in there. Are you noticing any new hairs at least? I always look like an dandelion after a huge shed because all my new growth stands straight up and out.

Melisande
February 4th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I've been through this four times - and a fifth time after a hormone treatment ARGH...

Don't worry too much, the roots are still active and your hair will grow back. There is nothing wrong with your scalp. Very soon, you'll have all kinds of baby hairs sticking out around you and in a year, your hair will look much better. It will take time until the new thickness grows down again but don't give away your large Ficcares! You will need them.

Sanyia
February 4th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I don't have children, but my good friend had a similar experience: major shed after giving birth. Her hair grew back with time, though.