PDA

View Full Version : What does build up look like?

monsterna
February 3rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
So can you actually SEE buildup on your hair?? If so, what does it look like? Does it have a distinct feel?

Sorry if this is a duplicate topic, but it's hard to just search for "build-up" and get anything close to what I'm asking, haha.

monsterna
February 4th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Bump for justice!

chopandchange
February 4th, 2011, 07:56 AM
It's not how it looks, it's mainly how it feels (for me at least). My hair may look less shiny and sort of dull, but the main thing will be that it feels stiff, waxy, and dry. It may also be harder to detangle than usual.

When that happens, I clarify!

BunnyBee
February 4th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Nobody knows!

I think it's probably that buildup doesn't really look like anything, except maybe lack of shine. It's what it FEELS like and ACTS like that's telling.

Think tangles (more than usual), roughness, dryness and general meh-ness.

EDIT: Ahh! chopandchange beat me to it! :D

chopandchange
February 4th, 2011, 08:02 AM
EDIT: Ahh! chopandchange beat me to it! :D

If it's any consolation, I only beat you by one minute!

Fufu
February 4th, 2011, 08:47 AM
For me, buildup is when i feel my hair is heavy and greasy/icky feeling to touch.

spidermom
February 4th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I agree with BunnyBee; it's lack of shine. Plus more tangles that are harder to comb out.

Funwithsharps
February 4th, 2011, 10:20 AM
My hair also feels really waxy when there is build up. It is still shinyish...but the waxiness makes my pin straight hair seperate into chunks even when my hair is clean. It makes it look dirty and greasy.

Becky Safari
February 4th, 2011, 10:55 AM
For me, it's velcro-y ends and easy tangles. Plus it just has this certain feel to it like my hair is really coated

ericthegreat
February 4th, 2011, 11:00 AM
It depends on how bad the buildup is. If the buildup is really bad and your hair is just choked full of it, white, gunky substances will form over your hair strands that you can literally see and it will feel really dry, rough, and heavy.

If the buildup is only moderate, you won't be able see it on your hair, but you will be able to feel it. It will feel dryer, a bit rough, and it will look duller and not as shiny as your hair would normally be.

MrsGuther
February 4th, 2011, 11:10 AM
It's not how it looks, it's mainly how it feels (for me at least). My hair may look less shiny and sort of dull, but the main thing will be that it feels stiff, waxy, and dry. It may also be harder to detangle than usual.

When that happens, I clarify!

I agree. Build up is more of a "feeling" than a seeing kinda thing. The waxy and dry feeling is definitely a cue that one has build up going on in their hair.

Anje
February 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM
For me, it's usually less shiny, and can feel dry to the point where it gets "scrunched up" and forms little curly frizzy tangles. Since I've largely had to deal with protein buildup, that feels grabby and the hair lacks its usual slip and tangles like crazy.

Easy rule: when your hair is being weird and driving you crazy, clarify it, then moisturize. This solves so many problems.....

lapushka
February 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
For me, it's also how it feels. When my hair's suddenly full of stubborn tangles when even the heaviest conditioner's been used, it means it's time to clarify. I used to get that problem with the CWC method and conditioners full of cones (no more CWC with cones). Apart from that, sometimes the ends can feel a little waxy, dry, crispy. Nothing that a sl(e)s shampoo won't fix.

If you're used to using a lot of product on your hair (lots of gel, mousse, hairspray -> styling products), washing it more often can be necessary, that or toning down the product use. And also, some products just don't go well with each other, it's not always your stubborn hair or that particular product.

If there's visible gunk or if your hair suddenly behaves odd (knots, tangles, dry ends, ...), try clarifying it (washing it) and using just a conditioner but little to no other products.

Catarina
February 4th, 2011, 11:52 AM
My hair had alot of build up this week. I didn't see it but it felt rough, waxy, very tangled, and as someone mentioned, it separated in chunks. I shampooed and then clarified with vinegar and water mixed in a shampoo bottle, no conditioner afterwards. It feels whole lot different and was very easy to comb when it was wet.

monsterna
February 4th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone! I've been having very dry, crunchy ends the past couple of days. I clarified last night but it didn't help too much. I'll try again tonight and do something different.

tigr
February 4th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks everyone! I've been having very dry, crunchy ends the past couple of days. I clarified last night but it didn't help too much. I'll try again tonight and do something different.
Using chelating shampoo might help: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=64850.