PDA

View Full Version : What's most important: Length, get rid of layers, or healthy virgin hair?

Kat Girl
February 3rd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Sorry if I have asked this before but it is driving me absolutely crazy!

Ok my total hair length now is maybe just barely BSL (no where near as long as I want it). Courtesy of a horrible "trim" I have some pretty severe layers with a short overly thick cut layer at APL, and then a pathetic longer V shaped tail that is struggling trying to be BSL. :boohoo: On a more positive note, my new beautiful healthy virgin hair is growing and may be at my earlobes by now.

So here is my question: Do I leave my hair alone and let it grow a while? Do I cut it to APL to get rid of the horrible layers, or do I go even shorter to enjoy the virgin hair.

I'm kind of nervous though because I don't really like short hair on myself. Plus I am a wavy, but my hair is pretty straight on top and more wavy as you go down, so I'm not sure what would happen if I went short. On the other hand my non virgin hair is super dry and the virgin hair gets oily, but if it was all virgin I wouldn't have to deal with the dry bottom oily top issue.

vanillabones
February 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
That's a good question that by browsing around here all day I've been thinking about for myself too :( since you have much more length than I do if I were you I'd try to straighten out the hemline somewhere between APL and BSL and wait there for the layers and virgin hair too if you have the patience. I will need to do that once I get past my shoulders as I'm in the same predicament, especially with the oily roots vs dry ends :(

jaine
February 3rd, 2011, 08:29 PM
The way you describe it makes it sound like you're leaning towards cutting to APL now. I think that's a very nice length that still looks long and has lots of updo options, without the unpredictable shape of short wavy hair. Mine is wavy too and pixie length actually looked great - it's shoulder length when my waves start to annoy me! But I think it'll be better at APL.

luckyduck
February 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
Average hair growth is 1/2 inch a month. If you trimmed 1/2 inch every 3 months, you would slowly get rid of the damaged hair and layers but you would still have good growth. There are several here that have done it this way, and they were pleased with their results.

redneckprincess
February 3rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
for me length was ALWAYS top priority (except health) now that im just touching the top of my bra strap, over time im trying to fix my hemline that for 30+ years was always straight across, which is what i thought to be "standerd". im now shapping it to a deep U soft V. but im taking that slowly...incase i DONT like it after all...after first shapping trim...i think im gonna love it...

MrsGuther
February 3rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
Sorry if I have asked this before but it is driving me absolutely crazy!

Ok my total hair length now is maybe just barely BSL (no where near as long as I want it). Courtesy of a horrible "trim" I have some pretty severe layers with a short overly thick cut layer at APL, and then a pathetic longer V shaped tail that is struggling trying to be BSL. :boohoo: On a more positive note, my new beautiful healthy virgin hair is growing and may be at my earlobes by now.

So here is my question: Do I leave my hair alone and let it grow a while? Do I cut it to APL to get rid of the horrible layers, or do I go even shorter to enjoy the virgin hair.

I'm kind of nervous though because I don't really like short hair on myself. Plus I am a wavy, but my hair is pretty straight on top and more wavy as you go down, so I'm not sure what would happen if I went short. On the other hand my non virgin hair is super dry and the virgin hair gets oily, but if it was all virgin I wouldn't have to deal with the dry bottom oily top issue.

To answer your question: That is up to YOU whether you want to cut it shorter and get rid of layers, or cut it really short and have virgin hair, or just let it grow. That is a personal choice all depending on what you are comfortable with and what you are willing to put up with.
If you don't like short hair on yourself don't feel pressured to cut it back to where it is all virgin hair. Trim it every few months and make it easier on yourself instead of dealing with the shock of having short hair that you can't stand all for the sake of having 'virgin' hair.
Do what feels right for you. I would also advise the two week rule before doing any cutting trimming or chopping of your hair! Happy growing and good luck!!!

Miuku
February 6th, 2011, 08:17 AM
It is purely a matter of personal preference. I usually prefer length over other things, but YMMV.

One thing to consider is physical comfort: if APL is an uncomfortable length for you, it might be not worth it to cut it even if it looks better. (This is also YMMV, but for example I need a lot more length to be physically comfortable with my hair than to be satisfied with the reflection in the mirror.)

Joliebaby
February 6th, 2011, 08:58 AM
This is something I will have to face too. I only have 6 months of natural roots, my hair is a couple of inches from waist so I have plenty of color-treated hair, and the bottom 4" are layered. My ends are somewhat dry, and the color difference bothers me, though it's subtle (it shows most in direct sunlight). I would hate to cut my hair , but once my natural hair gets to neck or shoulder length I know I'll be really tempted to cut off all the dyed hair (if I haven't succumbed to using some color to blend by then!). I guess if I had really bad layers and a shape that I didn't like, I'd cut off the layers at least. But of course ultimately it's up to you.

misstwist
February 6th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Our hair types appear to be similar so I will tell you my experience.

I was displeased with my layers, though they weren't as pronounced as yours sound to be. I didn't like to wear it down because I didn't like how thin the length looked.

In December 2009 I had my hair cut from waist to just longer than apl. I haven't regretted the cut, but I have been a little sad that I am just coming back to waist, and not as long as when I cut, instead of getting to hip.

BUT, I think it's prettier when I wear it down and I'm overall happier with the look of my hair.

I have had it shaped some since I cut the layers out. I now have an angled front that starts at about chin. Again, because I think it makes my hair prettier when I wear it down because the whurlies around my face spring up more when they are shorter.

TL;DR--Think about what your goals really are.

Do you want to get to your goal length as fast as possible and then trim to remove the layers and thicken the length?

Do you want to wear your hair down and feel that it looks pretty when you do?

If you have a good picture of where you want to be that will make your decision easier.

Good luck! :flowers:

jujube
February 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
For me length is a priority right now, but when I reach shoulder/APL health will be.

Night_Kitten
February 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM
It's a personal priority, but if it were me, I'd cut ~1/2 inch every 3-4 months thus slowly getting rid of the layers while still gaining length :)

ibleedlipstick
February 6th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Personally, I would just cut it *all* to APL. But, it is up to you you are the one who gets to wear your hair! If it doesn't bother you right now, or if you want to cut 1/2 an inch a month until it is grown out you can always do that.

I'm an extremist though, so I'm of the all-or-nothing school.

IcarusBride
February 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I think the best compromise is monthly microtrims. If you cut 1/2 of your monthly growth every month, your hair continues to get longer overall, but at a slower rate, and the shorter layers don't get cut at all in that time, so they catch up more quickly!

I already have all-one-length, virgin hair, but my ends are extremely thin, so I am also using this method to continue to grow but hopefully keeping my hemline from getting thinner...

McFearless
February 6th, 2011, 05:11 PM
You have to compromise length sometimes for health but it shouldn't effect how you look at yourself. Cutting to such short lengths will give you virgin hair quicker but if you don't want to leave your house thats not good.

I compromise length and cut half of the damage and then slowly grow out the rest of the damage. I think maintaining one length with frequent trims works really well. Damage can travel up and mess up your healthy hair. Layers might be annoying but aren't as urgent. I guess it comes down to what your priorities are. I used to go for the fastest length I could get but by the time I got there I was so unhappy with how it looked, it wasn't such a conquest to me.

Speedbump
February 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I would simply do away with what stresses and annoys me the most. Short hair REALLY stresses and annoys me, so I totally wouldn't do that. But APL? Yeah, that length is better than crappy layers -- to ME. But I have a hate-hate relationship with layers because I'm a true curly that used to have 'em.

So my advice in a nutshell: Pick out what it is about this hair dilemma that's bothering you the most, and fix it. Then you can wait for more length much more happily. :eyebrows:

Speedy

Lianna
February 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
APL is still very nice, plus you could try to match the color.

Annalise
February 6th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't recommend cutting back to the virgin hair. We have similar hair, and I cut my hair to that length several years ago and it was awful. And it was too short to pull back, so I just had to look awful until it grew out (which seemed to take a lot longer that normal, given how much I hated the cut). Straight hair can look really cute when cut short. And curly hair can look really cute when cut short. But wavy hair just seems to stick out in random directions. It was too short to wave, but too long to be entirely straight either. The best way I can describe it is Harry Potter hair.

Personally, what I'd do in your situation is cut back to APL and then maintain until all the hair is virgin. APL is a nice length; there's enough weight to the hair to control it, and it's not too short to prevent waves from forming.

julliams
February 6th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I went through this exact situation (minus the dye) and everyone suggested I keep it long and grow the layers out. I am SO glad that I listened because if I had cut, yes I would be all one length but I think I would have felt as though I hadn't gotten anywhere. Now I am brushing waist and my layers are about APL and they are starting to just kind of blend in. You can see in my avatar that it pretty much looks all one length anyway.

I found that the longer my hair got, the better it sat in waves as I had the length of the "S" to do it's thing.

Keep your hair long - just get it trimmed whenever you feel you want to - like every 6 months or even every 12 months. That's what I have done. I was at about APL in April of last year and this April I will be below waist. I chose to not cut for 12 months and will have a trim in early April.

I know the layers are driving you crazy now, but they will settle and you will be happier with more length as it gets longer plus your buns will start looking really cool when they are a different colour to your virgin hair.

Johanna
February 6th, 2011, 08:15 PM
For me, length has been my priority. I've been growing out my dye since my last dye in sept 2008 and have been gradually trimming it away. I've also been growing out my old eyebrow length fringe/bangs since early 2008, they've made it just passed waist length now :D

I know that I could cut back to waist and have all one length hair for the first time in a decade, but I'm achingly close to Classic. I really want to get to classic and maintain it with tiny tiny trims. If I can baby my damaged ends at classic length, then maybe when I have virgin ends they'll be really healthy?

wendy51
February 7th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I think most important is health (?). if you want get rid of layers, do it progressively if you don't want to loose length

Mesmerise
February 7th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Last time I cut back to virgin hair I had less than 2" on top...and a few months later ended up getting extensions put in that took my hair past waist LOL!

If I were to do it now... I think I'd just keep trimming, but probably start with at least 2" off to see how I feel. If I cut off 2" and feel like "OMG MY HAIR'S SO SHORT!!!" then I know it's NOT a good idea to go for a bigger chop!

That's also enough to get rid of some layering usually ;)

Then, either keep it the length it is until you've grown out the layers, or work out a length you like, slowly grow it there, and then maintain it while cutting out layers (in the meantime, get fairly regular trims, but not enough to actually stop your hair getting longer).

It really depends on your priorities and how you feel with your hair! I know now that I feel better with somewhat crappy longer hair than I do with very short hair, although if my hair is too damaged, I will cut more off.

vanity_acefake
February 7th, 2011, 03:48 PM
I would grow it to the length you want your hair to be then keep it at that length with trims to grow out the layers. That's what I am currently doing.

Bubbleguppy
February 7th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Personally? I'd go for getting rid of the layers first and foremost. I did this myself about a year ago almost. I had my my hair about to waist length, and then cut it short a couple years ago. I'm not growing it out again, and when long, I like my hair all one length, so last May I got my layers cut off. It made my hair shorter at the onset, yes, but still long enough to tie it back :)

Cailie
February 7th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Personally? I'd go for getting rid of the layers first and foremost. I did this myself about a year ago almost. I had my my hair about to waist length, and then cut it short a couple years ago. I'm not growing it out again, and when long, I like my hair all one length, so last May I got my layers cut off. It made my hair shorter at the onset, yes, but still long enough to tie it back :)

I agree with this (:
I also cut back quite a lot at first to get rid of the most damaged parts. Never regretted it, I think my hair looks much healthier than it would otherwise