PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin overdose!?! Help! :(

Maddy_T
February 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
.................................................. .........

Malibu Barbie
February 3rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Be very careful with vitamins. You can do a lot of harm to yourself if you are taking to many. Best thing to do is ask your doctor. Some mixes can be toxic. I don't know that much about the amounts you're taking or those kinds. Most have a recommended daily allowances printed on the bottle . If you are exceeding that I would becareful. :)

tanya222
February 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Ask a doctor, preferably a naturopath, who'll know way more about vitamins than your average MD.

For now stop taking them and drink lots of water to flush out any excesses you might have.

gman4354
February 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM
Stop taking the vitamins and consult your physician as soon as possible about the vitamins! He is educated in the human body and how it reacts to different substances and will be able to answer your question way better than anyone on here will (unless of course someone one here happens to have went to medical school and has acquired their medical degree). Even at that, your physician would still give you a better answer.

Vitamins can be just as dangerous as prescription drugs if abused or if too much is accidentally ingested.

littlenvy
February 3rd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Some of the common side effects that may occur due to vitamin E intake are allergic experiences like breathing difficulty, closing of the throat, and swelling of the lips, tongue or face. Some of the less serious side effects are fatigue, weakness, headache, nausea, blurred vision and diarrhea. Usually these side effects stop after stopping the vitamin E intake.

I would give it a rest from all these and go check yourself out if there is no other physical problem.

:) I hope that its only too much E and nothing else.

Red_Wednesday
February 3rd, 2011, 08:56 PM
I can't really add much to what has already been said, but I will say that caution should be taken with vitamins that build up in the system, such as iron or vitamin A. The thing is, high doses of some vitamins can actually backfire causing hair loss rather than hair growth. I'm certainly not trying to scare you, I'm just hoping that perhaps in considering this it might curb your appetite for such large doses of the vitamins. Your body can only use so much anyway - the rest just comes out as waste - unless, as I mentioned, you have a build of some.

I hope you feel better soon :flower:.

pepperedmoth
February 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Hello friend,

Shortness of breath is a very scary symptom! Please go be seen by your provider, because that's simply not okay. I'm worried about you.

Fondly,
-Rosemary

gman4354
February 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
I will say that it's mainly the fat soluble vitamins that you have to be careful with because water soluble vitamins, if they're not all used by the body will be expelled through your urine. Whereas fat soluble vitamins, if not used by the body, will be stored in the fat cells within your body.

Fufu
February 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Maddy_T: It kinda seemed too much to me, the best is to see a doctor for advice.

I take 1 multi-vitamin per day and 1 epo and 1 vitamin c at night daily. I used to take 6 pills a day and felt that it seemed too much. Even though it is water-soluble vitamins, I wouldn't risk it and overdose.

Maddy_T
February 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks so much guys! I'm definitely going to cut back!! eeeep! I think it may be vitamin e overdose as I'm pretty sure that's the only non-water soluble one...... Kinda scary!

McFearless
February 3rd, 2011, 10:29 PM
Stop with the vitamin E. You are taking way too much. I'd lay off all your vitamins for at least two weeks before slowly adding them into your diet again. I think its hard to have a deficency(sp?) of vitamin e. Vitamin D however most people don't get enough of.

I really hope you're okay, take care.

dropinthebucket
February 4th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Others have mentioned some of the problems that can occur with the other vitamins you're taking, so I'll just address MSM. Approach anything with sulphur, copper, or zinc with real caution if you have hypothyroidism, or are at risk for low thyroid function (risk factors include: family history of it; pregnancy; menopausal or perimenopausal). If sulphur, copper, and zinc levels go out of balance, the thyroid stops functioning properly -- this can actually ADVERSELY affect your hair growth.

I posted in another thread already about my own experiences with MSM. It was great for a few weeks, and I definitely had good results. But, as they say, "too much of a good thing ...." -- I had a myxodemic reaction finally because my body started storing the excess sulphur.

ravenreed
February 4th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Oh dear, that is good to know! I have problems with hypothyroid. Guess I need to watch out more what my supplements are.

Others have mentioned some of the problems that can occur with the other vitamins you're taking, so I'll just address MSM. Approach anything with sulphur, copper, or zinc with real caution if you have hypothyroidism, or are at risk for low thyroid function (risk factors include: family history of it; pregnancy; menopausal or perimenopausal). If sulphur, copper, and zinc levels go out of balance, the thyroid stops functioning properly -- this can actually ADVERSELY affect your hair growth.

I posted in another thread already about my own experiences with MSM. It was great for a few weeks, and I definitely had good results. But, as they say, "too much of a good thing ...." -- I had a myxodemic reaction finally because my body started storing the excess sulphur.

Thinthondiel
February 4th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Wikipedia says this about vitamin E:

The consensus in the medical community is that there is no good evidence to support health benefits from vitamin E supplementation in the short term, yet there is strong evidence that taking more than 400 IU of vitamin E per day for extended periods increases the risk of death.

Wikipedia has four references on that, and the sources look reliable, so I'd say it's likely to be true.

ravenreed
February 4th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Yes, it looks like you are taking far too much vitamin E. From what I have read, anything over 400 IU increases risk of death. According to these links, horsetail shouldn't necessarily be taken regularly. I don't know much about that herb so...

Article one. (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/horsetail-000257.htm)
Article two. (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/843.html)

If I were you, I would first of all call my doctor and stop with all supplements. If the problem clears up, add in the multi and see how you feel for a week. Then add in one thing at a time so that if something is triggering it, you will know what it is. However, please remember, that certain vitamins and minerals can kill you, or lead to organ failure, in the case of too much iron. More is not better. Long hair isn't worth illness!

LovelyL
February 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Eating a balanced diet usually means you don't need any supplements at all. I'd say err on the side of caution by taking fewer vitamins and instead eat more fruit and veg!

Sanyia
February 4th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Be careful! Shortness of breath is a scary symptom. Please consider talking to your doctor today.

Panth
February 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM
To the OP: Please, please, please, stop taking the vitamins immediately and see a doctor asap. And certainly do not start taking that dose of vitamin E again, as everyone has said.

Vitamins are not magic pills. If you are healthy and are getting your daily dose of vitamins and minerals (through supplements or diet) then taking more vitamins on top of that is in general not going to benefit you.

For a very bad analogy, somewhat paraphrased from Igor's blog, if 100mcg of X causes you to grow 1/2" of hair (or whatever other benefit you might be looking for) this does not stand that 200mcg will cause 1" growth and 400mcg will cause 2" growth. Equally, if 100mcg gives 1/2" growth so may 50mcg or even 10mcg.

I will say that it's mainly the fat soluble vitamins that you have to be careful with because water soluble vitamins, if they're not all used by the body will be expelled through your urine. Whereas fat soluble vitamins, if not used by the body, will be stored in the fat cells within your body.

To gman4354: I agree with your statement that excess water soluble vitamins are in general excreted in the urine whilst fat soluble vitamins may build up. However, please do not use this to justify mega-dosing on water soluble vitamins, particularly in people who are not yourself!

Just because they are excreted, does not mean that they cannot do harm. In particular, I would be concerned with over-taxing the liver and kidneys (which do this "de-toxification" and filtration work). Another potential problem is that many processes, particularly in the liver, "de-toxify" multiple chemicals. So, if you are making your liver spend 90% of its processing time for "de-toxification process A" (for example) breaking down excess vitamins, it could cause build-up of other (potentially more toxic) chemicals that naturally (or unnaturally - from prescription or otherwise drugs :P) are in the body and normally use that process to be broken down.

I really hope that doesn't come across as preachy or critical, but it really isn't as black and white as you stated.

Just a little warning from your friendly biologist... *hugs*

gman4354
February 4th, 2011, 03:30 PM
500 IU (335 mg) of Vitamin E is way over what you will ever need on a daily basis. I take a multivitamin which contains 30 IU (20.1 mg) of Vitamin E and the recommended intake of Vitamin E for anyone over the age of 14 is often anywhere from 15 mg to 20 mg per day!

To gman4354: I agree with your statement that excess water soluble vitamins are in general excreted in the urine whilst fat soluble vitamins may build up. However, please do not use this to justify mega-dosing on water soluble vitamins, particularly in people who are not yourself!

I agree that it doesn't justify it whatsoever. However, you are probably more likely to overdose on any fat soluble vitamin the first time and not a water soluble one. Nonetheless, there are still plenty of risks involved with taking more than whats needed of virtually anything.

Panth
February 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM
whatsoever. However, you are probably more likely to overdose on any fat soluble vitamin the first time and not a water soluble one. Nonetheless, there are still plenty of risks involved with taking more than whats needed of virtually anything.

^_^ I totally agree with this.

I just didn't want anyone using your comment out of context to justify overdoses of vitamins. I'm glad you didn't feel I was picking on you or anything!

gman4354
February 4th, 2011, 11:24 PM
^_^ I totally agree with this.

I just didn't want anyone using your comment out of context to justify overdoses of vitamins. I'm glad you didn't feel I was picking on you or anything!

Haha! No, don't worry, I didn't feel that way at all. I completely understood where you were coming from! :D