PDA

View Full Version : How do you wear your hair in bed?

SummerSkye
February 3rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
I'm going to start putting up my hair for bed, I'm a pretty restless sleeper and always end up with tangles on the back of my hair:(. What are the best and styles to go for? And the most comfortable? When I was little my Mum always put my hair in plaits but its not quite long enough for them yet. Also does anybody wear a sleep hat, if you do are they good?

vanity_acefake
February 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hi summerskye,
I wear my hair in a loose side pleat in bed. I also have a satin pillow case I made.
Lots of the members here wear satin sleep hats to bed. I don't know if one would stay on you though as you are a restless sleeper as I cannot vouch for how well they stay on.
Could you put two French pleats in your hair? I sometimes sleep with them in.
:)

Anywhere
February 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
I don't wear sleep caps, but I drape some oversized satin pj pants over my pillow, and then let my loose hair rest over the top of my pillow. if it's in a braid it won't stay above my head and will end up getting crushed, bent ends from me rolling around in my sleep.

I find that any style that forces my hair up above my head will give me an unbearably sore scalp until my next wash, which is why I can't braid at the top of my head.

and really? 20" isn't long enough for braids? :hmm:That would be about APL on me.

CarpeDM
February 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
I will be checking this thread out! I have been looking for a good sleeping hat for a while now!

lora410
February 3rd, 2011, 03:31 PM
I put mine up in a high bun on top my head and use spin pins to hold it :)

AgnesONutter
February 3rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
If your hair is not long enough to braid, then I would not really worry about putting it up at night yet. You might try a silk pillowcase, as well as brushing and oiling your hair before you go to bed.

Once your hair grows long enough, I would braid it. That is how I wear my hair for bed, to contain it so my fiancé does not choke on it during the night. I used to sleep with it loose, just draped above my head over my pillow, because I'm a pretty calm sleeper that worked for me.

SwordWomanRiona
February 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
I always wear a loose three-strand braid. This way my hair remains untangled, and it's very comfortable for me. I wouldn't be able to sleep with my super-fine classic-length hair loose! Never!:)

ooo
February 3rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
in a very, very high srunchy bun.

Cirafly24
February 3rd, 2011, 04:09 PM
I usually wear a low beebutt bun...but if you sleep on your back that may not be the best option for you. I also wear a satin sleep cap that I got it at Walgreens drug store for about $2. It's so comfortable! I'm a restless sleeper too, so if I just wear the bun without the cap, by the time I get up the bun has unraveled.

SummerSkye
February 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the quick replies! I probably could braid my hair but in the past when I have done this the hair above the braided part seems to end up coming loose and gets all tangled, I'm not sure if this has contributed to the breaking. Ive just put the satin pillow cases back on my bed so hopefully they will make a difference. I was thinking about oiling the ends of my hair and pulling it up onto the top of my head in a really high punytail. Im haven't been married long and my husband looked rather horrified when I started talking about wearing a sleep hat to bed! Ha I bet in another 6 months I'll be more than happy to go off to bed in a big nightie and a hat that makes me look like wee wullie winky!

bytheocean
February 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
I just sleep with mine loose and put up and over my pillow. I'm a side sleeper and don't move that much so it works the best for me. I tried braids but my hair is so fine that my hair slips right out of them and I can't seem to find a band for the ends that do not cause damage. Plus I want to look nice for my dh.

princessp
February 3rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Up in a bun inside of a silk cap. I also have a silk pillowcase because my cap falls off sometimes.

Madora
February 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
You might want to try soft cloth hair bands down the length of your hair to keep it in place and cut down on the tangling. Be sure there's no metal on the bands.

Personally, I plait my hair in one soft braid and bun it with 6 3 inch crimped hairpins on the top of my head. The next morning I rarely have to stop and detangle (although I do it, out of habit).

PrincessTieflin
February 3rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
I never could get to the point where I could wear my hair up at night. So I took others advice and bought a sleepcap (walmart less then 2 dollars) AND I LOVE it. No tangles, no breakage.

vanillabones
February 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
I can't really braid my hair at all so I keep it down and always sleep on my silk pillowcase for maybe a year now. I loveee my pillowcase keeps my baby fine hair from breaking and my head gets overheating in my sleep so if you flip the pillow over it's nice and cooled off ;)

BunnyBee
February 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
Sometimes a braid, sometimes a 'caterpillar braid' which is just ponytailed all down the length. I use only silk scrunchies.

Becky Safari
February 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
I usually do an english braid because it's fast and easy, but my canopy is super frizzy in the morning no matter what I do style-wise. I need to get a silk cap

white line
February 3rd, 2011, 07:34 PM
I do a loose ponytail on the top of my head with a cloth hairband. I have a satin pillowcase also. Before I did the ponytail, I would just lay my hair up over my pillow.

pepperedmoth
February 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
A teensy bit OT:

Usually I do one plait down the back for bed, but as my hair reaches my hips this gets snagged as I toss and turn. I decided I wanted to wrap up my head somehow for sleep.

Last night for the first time I tried wrapping up in a silk scarf, but of course I woke up to find it had come right off and was on the floor!

Does anyone here wrap their head in a scarf for sleep, rather than using a dedicated sleep cap?

If so, how do you tie it?

lileve2
February 3rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
I tried a bun but it was a big as my head (that is seriously large) and made my neck ache for days. Then I tried a loose ponytail. That also made my neck hurt. From that point I just gave up trying to control it and got used to it in my face, around my neck and under DH.

Teas
February 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
My hair just decided to grow that tiny 1/2 inch enough for me to wear rope braids without my layers sticking out everywhere, so I've taken to sleeping in those.
However, when my hair was short I would sleep in french braids. I was able to wear french braids to bed when my hair was only just a little past my chin. They didn't look good enough in to leave the house with, but they were fine for sleeping.

CarpeDM
February 4th, 2011, 07:23 AM
A teensy bit OT:

Usually I do one plait down the back for bed, but as my hair reaches my hips this gets snagged as I toss and turn. I decided I wanted to wrap up my head somehow for sleep.

Last night for the first time I tried wrapping up in a silk scarf, but of course I woke up to find it had come right off and was on the floor!

Does anyone here wrap their head in a scarf for sleep, rather than using a dedicated sleep cap?

Yes, how do others tie a silk scarf around their head so that it stays in place overnight without being too tight??

BunnyBee
February 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Yes, how do others tie a silk scarf around their head so that it stays in place overnight without being too tight??

You train yourself to stay very, very still in your sleep :p

I have tried putting one of those stretchy headbands over the scarf which worked reasonably well, but slightly uncomfortable for me. Sometimes I just braid the scarf with my hair which helps it stay neater in the morning, but I've mostly given up on keeping scarves on my head at night lol

Lavina
February 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I`m wear sleep cap.

Funwithsharps
February 4th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I leave my hair down but flop it straight over my head. I don't have a problem with tangles from doing this--it kind of keeps it out of my way. I roll around a lot in my sleep.

krissykins
February 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Are you a toss and turn kind of sleeper or do you stay pretty still? This can make a big difference in how you wear your hair when you sleep.

I toss and turn, so even though I braid my hair and use a satin pillowcase, my hair usually has a cute little frizz halo when I wake up in the morning. Lol. Guess I'll try a sleep cap!

mustpannkook
February 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Mine is usually braided and I also wear a sleeping cap. I can't believe how well the sleeping cap works! Before my hair was like 80's hair metal type (and also impossible to comb!) but now it's nice and smooth.

CarpeDM
February 4th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Mine is usually braided and I also wear a sleeping cap. I can't believe how well the sleeping cap works! Before my hair was like 80's hair metal type (and also impossible to comb!) but now it's nice and smooth.

What kind of sleeping cap do you use?

CastaDiva
February 4th, 2011, 01:41 PM
This may sound a bit odd and believe me it sure looks weird but it works for me:) I put my hair up in a fairly high bun and secure it with a short stick. Then I pull a cut off leg of a pantyhose over my head about down to my eyebrows and remove the stick. I then take three or four more cut off pantyhose legs and place them one by one across my forehead, behind my ears, and tie them at the back of my head/neck. I take some cardboard and place it under the knots from the pantyhose legs so they won`t hurt. Then I put one of my index fingers under the pantyhose legs and pull the skin on my forehead to the left and then to the right. In addition to keep the hair in place this method has also left me with a virtually wrinkle free forehead:D

Vani1902
February 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I usually bun it or braid it. Then, I put on a satin sleeping bonnet. The satin bonnets are ridiculously cheap.

Bluegrass Babe
February 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I make a wide loose bun that stays flat on the back of my head or two braids that I cross at the nape of my neck and bring up to top of my head. I keep them secure with my calorimetry that I made from instructions on knitty.com. I just wear it backwards so it becomes a sling for my hair. I remove any sticks or pins once it is on. A scarf or stretchy ski band would work, too. It looks silly so I put my satin sleep bonnet over it and it looks like I'm wearing a black cap to bed.
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/th_firstknit.jpg (http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/firstknit.jpg)

I also like the fake bob trick with a sleeping bonnet over it, but if you toss a lot the scarf tends to slip off. And the calorimetry method is much faster and less hassle.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77651&albumid=5936&dl=1279916481&thumb=1

IcarusBride
February 4th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I'm very interested about this night-time long hair care technique:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/alldreamsdie85/sleepinghair.png

I saw this in a comic book that takes place in medieval Japan. The upper class women in the comic all have TB-Knee length hair and it shows them sleeping like this in several scenes. I find it very interesting how people who lived times when LOOONG hair was the norm took care of it, especially the wealthy who had the time and means to spend on it.

RedCat
February 4th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Normally I sleep with my hair loose, but when I put oil on it I wear a braid.

I find it very interesting how people who lived times when LOOONG hair was the norm took care of it, especially the wealthy who had the time and means to spend on it.
Long time ago it was easier, because there was no pollution, and harmful chemicals. People used only natural stuff for their personal care. They didn't have to put much effort into everyday haircare.

jeanniet
February 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM
What kind of sleeping cap do you use?
I use Stay-On Satin sleep caps. They're cheap, comfortable, and really do stay on. I get mine at Walmart for less than $2.

Silverdragn7385
February 4th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I wear it loose...and surprisingly, my hair doesn't choke me in my sleep. It stays out of my way all night, and I don't even flip it over the pillow or anything. :)

jaderose
February 4th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I wear my hair loose, though it's not all that long yet.

Malibu Barbie
February 5th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I wear mine loose, up over my pillow.

darklion
February 5th, 2011, 12:39 AM
braids drive me up the wall, so usually wear mine in a bun in the top of my head... or loose (tossed over the top of the pillow, then I flip flop around all night and it ends up wherever).

rosek
February 5th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I wear a cinnabun right on the top of my head, secured with a soft hairtie. It sometimes comes loose, but not very often.

rose.grace
February 5th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I leave my hair down but flop it straight over my head. I don't have a problem with tangles from doing this--it kind of keeps it out of my way. I roll around a lot in my sleep. This. :agree:

apfelblumen
February 5th, 2011, 09:36 AM
i braid mine into one long plait at the base of my neck. i sleep on my stomach and don't move around much, so crushing or bending my braid isn't much of a problem. ( although one of my cats loves to attack my hair while i'm sleeping. he'll attempt to carry it off a couple of times before realizing it's attached to my head, every night. will he ever learn? :P )

concrescence
February 5th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I move around a lot and really prefer to sleep with my hair loose. However, now that I'm past BSL again, it gets caught under my arms and even around my neck (!) sometimes, so I've recently started sleeping with a Loepsie-style sock bun (ends all rolled up in it) on top of my head. Here's the youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y The added bonus is that I get nice waves and curls from it, too.

Henrietta
February 5th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I make an English braid or a ponytail with 4 elastics. Ponytail is the preferred style because I don't like braid waves :]

SummerSkye
February 7th, 2011, 06:38 AM
i braid mine into one long plait at the base of my neck. i sleep on my stomach and don't move around much, so crushing or bending my braid isn't much of a problem. ( although one of my cats loves to attack my hair while i'm sleeping. he'll attempt to carry it off a couple of times before realizing it's attached to my head, every night. will he ever learn? :P )
Lmao! Brilliant, don't you love them!

growing2shine
February 7th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Sometimes I bun my hair ( just a regular, not a high one...), sometimes I braid my hair, and if I feel like it I clip the braid, with clawclips, high ontop of my head or around the forhead area. I never sleep with my hair loose, but I think I will when my hair gets longer... When I can just flip it over the pillow and it stays that way. :hmm:

kmoc123
February 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM
a high pony tail and pull it halfway back through the band. I get tooo hot to leave it down and it wraps around my neck...ugh!

perkidanman
February 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
My hair is not that long, just short of APL so a satin silk pillowcase or french pigtails works for me.

I was wondering though...how do the gurly gals sleep with their hair? Every time I braid my hair I end up with the braid waves and when I sleep with it down I crush all my lovely curls.

Antipodienne
February 7th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Bee butt bun on the very top-- gives some nice volume and pretty waves when you first wake up, but can be very damaging if you use a too-tight elastic.

Zoui
February 7th, 2011, 01:11 PM
In two buns over my ears. I sleep mostly on my back.

Bubbleguppy
February 7th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I wear my hair in a low ponytail usually when I sleep, as it's not quite long enough to get a good braid yet, plus I'm still not all that great at braiding my own hair :p This works well enough for me, and as long as I redo my pony before bed, I don't wake up with all that many tangles :)

LocustSpawning
February 7th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Mine's always just in a messy bun with a plain scrunchie. No hassle, works for me.

BeachBabe91
February 7th, 2011, 06:57 PM
loose ponytail, or single loose braid.

squintinschool
February 7th, 2011, 07:06 PM
In a PrettyWrap. If I just washed it, I plop it, but if not, I just cram my hair in there, or leave it in whatever braid/bun I was wearing (minus sticks/elastics) and cover with the PrettyWrap. It works really well for me.

rocket_surgeon
February 7th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I put it in an upside-down French braid (from the nape to the forehead), and then I can tuck the tail of the braid into itself. It's sort of like a crown braid, and it stays pretty well without pins or elastics.

AspenSong
February 7th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I just got a couple satin sleeping caps, so I sleep in them...just with my hair braided or coiled up inside. My hair is just long enough if I just do a braid, hubby tends to roll over and lay his arm on it, etc...and I just can't do a bun to bed.

NotInPortland
February 8th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I move around a lot and really prefer to sleep with my hair loose. However, now that I'm past BSL again, it gets caught under my arms and even around my neck (!) sometimes, so I've recently started sleeping with a Loepsie-style sock bun (ends all rolled up in it) on top of my head. Here's the youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y The added bonus is that I get nice waves and curls from it, too.

Ah thank you for posting that link!! I tried it last night and I've had lovely loose curls at the ends of my hair all day today! :D I could never find a way to put my hair while sleeping that was comfortable or didn't make my hair go crazy the next day-ponytails with scrunchies fall out, braids make my hair frizzy, and most buns also make my hair go frizzy and ends crunchy for some reason but this worked a treat and it's right on top of your head so you don't even feel it!

jaine
February 8th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I brush my hair to make it smooth and then put it in the Pretty Wrap. I tried a lot of different sleeping caps and that one was still my favorite even though the seams are starting to unravel after just a few weeks. It's the only silk bonnet I tried so far that doesn't migrate down over my forehead and into my eyelids while I'm sleeping.

wendy51
February 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I wear them in 8 little pleated braids
I sleep on silk pillow
i don't wear any bonnet or anything

I guess braids are the best option, or wrap, or pin curls
It is up to you ^^

haikitteh
February 9th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I make a simple single braid. I've done it for so long that it actually bothers me to have my hair loose - it feels like it's all over and distracts me from sleeping. And I use silk pillowcases too.

CaliforniaAnne
February 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Either a single braid, or two braids, depending on what kind of mood I'm in before bed. :)

CariadA
February 9th, 2011, 02:55 PM
A teensy bit OT:

I do! I tie them kind of like this description:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7297703_tie-rosie-riveter-scarf.html

Since I do only use silk scarves, I usually use bobby pins or clips to keep the scarf in place. I put one clip or pin on each side, and it holds just fine.

I love sleeping in scarves. I get really pretty ones so I don't feel frumpy.

As to the original question, I sleep in different updos depending on the style I want the next day. I will do a simple crown wrap, pin curls or a rolled sock bun most nights. These are all very comfortable styles for me.

CariadA
February 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Because I'm a dork, I made a picture on paint of how I tie my sleep scarf. It stays on securely all night.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd457/CariadA/scarf.jpg

Veviticus
February 9th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I just flip it up onto the top of my satin pillow, so that it doesn't get pulled. I'm trying to get into the habit of wrapping it up, because I know that my hair would hold moisture better and probably look better too. But in spite of, it still looks good and is healthy.

Tikwichka
February 9th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I wear either one or two loose plaits, then I wrap a silk scarf around them. Looks funny, but keeps my hair tangle free. Before I used the scarf, I always got tangles at the top of my hair... Not any more!!

PrincessBob
February 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM
I frequently plait my hair, or try to make a bun on top of my head while lying on my back and holding it with my spin pins or metal comb. (I worry if I use sticks.)

pepperedmoth
February 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I do! I tie them kind of like this description:

Thanks so much for that and the paint job below! It helped a lot.

Incidentally, I love your username. That's what I call my best friend. :o

milagro
February 10th, 2011, 02:39 PM
If it's wet I sleep with it loose over the pillow (I lay a microfiber towel under the silk pillowcase otherwise the hair doesn't dry at all and I feel cold :)). If it's dry I do a very high ponytail with soft scrunchy, not tight. And if I wear some style that is good for sleeping, like heidi braids, I go to bed with it :)

CariadA
February 10th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks so much for that and the paint job below! It helped a lot.

Incidentally, I love your username. That's what I call my best friend. :o

Thank you!:p

Druid of Alba
November 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM
My hair is not yet long enough to braid, without it falling apart throughout the night. Once it is long enough, I'll sleep with a loose side braid. Until then, I'm just going to do a low, loose ponytail. I don't like a high bun ontop of my head because it makes my hair way too puffy in the morning haha.

mz_grim
November 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I either bun it, or braid it (single english brair). I cant sleep with it loose way to many tangles and it makes brushing it in the morning impossible.

Gingerbear
November 25th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I have a satin pillowcase that I use and take with me when I travel. I have a silk one too, but the cheaper satin one actually works better because it is more slippery. On nights I am sleeping alone I will use a silk sleep cap, which works really well. It's really a cancer cap for chemo patients, but it is great for protecting long, fragile hair because it is lined in silk and I don't have to tie it up underneath--I just wrap my hair around my head like a giant roller, put a few clips in, put on the cap, then pull the clips out so they aren't in there when I sleep. When I wake up in the morning, my fine hair is straight but bouncy...love it, and no heat. I bought it fromhttps://www.alwaysbeautifulyou.com

Viperalus
November 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I put them in a non tight pony tail and all the hair inside my pajama.

Sewas
November 25th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Since reaching waist-length, I have been trying to find a comfortable way to sleep with my hair. I think I will give the "Rosie the Riveter" scarf method a try. Thanks for the link.

Mina17
November 25th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I wear my hair in a single braid and sleep on a silk pillowcase. I have a sleep cap but the elastic is uncomfortable so I don't use it often.

MrsGuther
November 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I wear my hair in a loosely pulled up cinnamon bun with a soft scrunchie. It hasn't caused any damage and it's comfortable when I am sleeping. Score!!