PDA

View Full Version : Uneven growth?

gman4354
February 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
I feel like my bangs are growing faster than the sides and back of my hair. I look at pictures from when I started growing my hair out and they have grown but not as fast as my bangs. I don't have any split end over there either. Is that even possible? Wouldn't every hair follicle grow hair at about the same average rate as every other one? Logically, there wouldn't be any difference from the follicles on the sides of my head and follicles on the front. Is it possibly even an illusion?

Anywhere
February 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
This could be because you touch your bangs more, thus stimulating those bang hair follicles more than the rest, causing them to grow more (like how some people have more hair growth on the side they sleep on).

Or it could just be that the growth is more noticeable on the hair thats up in your face compared to the hair behind you.

Or it could be that the theory of shorter hair growing faster than the length to try and "catch up" is true. I've read a few threads stating that they think their hair stalls so that shorter things (layers, bangs) can catch up.

spidermom
February 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Actually, every single follicle on your head has its own growth rate, also the duration of growth will vary. For instance, some hairs will grow 1 inch per month for 5 years and then shed out. Other hairs will grow 1/4 inch per month for 4 months or 1/2 inch per month for 8 years. It really varies. I shed out hairs as short as 2 inches long and every length from there to 3+ feet long. The hair on the right side of my head grows a little faster than the hair on the left side of my head.

So don't worry, variation is to be expected.

Madora
February 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
If follicles on one part of the head receive more stimulation, it's likely they'll respond to it while the follicles that receive less will have slower growth.

Also, some parts of the hair just grow faster than others.

gman4354
February 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Actually, every single follicle on your head has its own growth rate, also the duration of growth will vary. For instance, some hairs will grow 1 inch per month for 5 years and then shed out. Other hairs will grow 1/4 inch per month for 4 months or 1/2 inch per month for 8 years. It really varies. I shed out hairs as short as 2 inches long and every length from there to 3+ feet long. The hair on the right side of my head grows a little faster than the hair on the left side of my head.

So don't worry, variation is to be expected.

Hmm, interesting. I never would have guessed it would be like that.

I know those parts of my hair can grow longer because I did when I was younger so I was just wondering if it was even possible for them to grow slower.