PDA

View Full Version : Plastic-y feeling from cones

natatatt
February 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
Hey everyone, I have noticed that dimethicone makes my hair feel plastic-y, even after having just clarified. Aside from personal preference, does this mean my hair doesn't like it, in the sense that it is doing some kind of damage?

Cyclomethicone makes my hair feel plastic-y but also then makes it feel like straw, so from that I gather that it is not protecting my hair as it is taking all the moisture out.

Since I don't have that issue with dimethicone, does this mean it is not bad for my hair? I am wondering that maybe the plastic feeling is normal?

Thank you!

Annalouise
February 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM
I don't have the answer. But I just wanted to say I feel that my hair is different with conditioner because of the coating properties. I don't like that feeling even with non cone conditioners but I also don't like having dry hair.:) (I'm still trying to figure out how to get a balance). Not very helpful am I.:D

Anywhere
February 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM
I believe that cones are plastic-y or rubbery... I don't see how it would stick after being washed out, have you clarified well enough?

If you can live with the plasticy feeling then it must be okay. Maybe its just how your hair feels? My hair feels like its greasy but covered in powder when I clarify, while it feels soft otherwise. I would say definitely stay away from the Cyclomethicone though.

Anje
February 3rd, 2011, 02:34 PM
I don't know if it's normal to feel plasticy or not. I know that mine does feel plasticy, and that if I go more than about 2 days without wetting my hair when using cones, my hair starts to scrunch up and act extremely dry and unhappy.

So I don't use them.

Red_Wednesday
February 3rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
I don't know if it's normal to feel plasticy or not. I know that mine does feel plasticy, and that if I go more than about 2 days without wetting my hair when using cones, my hair starts to scrunch up and act extremely dry and unhappy.

So I don't use them.

Mine behaves the same way. I often want to try out new conditioners that people rave about, but anytime there is a cone in it - my hair howls at me for a long time afterwards - so I avoid them too.

HintOfMint
February 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM

So I don't use them.

Same here, although if I clarify sooner, I don't notice any damage after that. The plasticy feeling is pretty par for the course in using dimethicone, I think, and I don't think it's any indication of it doing damage, at least not in the short term.

rhosyn_du
February 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Do you use henna, by chance? I know several members here, myself included, started having plastic-y issues with cones after we started using henna even though we'd not had trouble with them before.

I can't comment on damage. I stopped using cones as soon as I started getting the plastic-y feel, because I found the texture so unpleasant.

Phalaenopsis
February 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Cyclomethicone makes my hair feel plastic-y but also then makes it feel like straw, so from that I gather that it is not protecting my hair as it is taking all the moisture out.

Since I don't have that issue with dimethicone, does this mean it is not bad for my hair? I am wondering that maybe the plastic feeling is normal?

Same thing here! I thought my hair really hated cones, but it only reacts really badly on cyclomethicone, dimethicone is fine most of the times :)

If you like how your hair feels with dimethicone, then why should you stay away from it?:)

I love to be all natural and stuff, but I still have my moments that I have that urge for cones. I like that slippery feeling and that my hair is so full. I don't like that plastic-y feeling though, it's one of the reasons I went all natural.

Red_Wednesday
February 3rd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Do you use henna, by chance? I know several members here, myself included, started having plastic-y issues with cones after we started using henna even though we'd not had trouble with them before.

I can't comment on damage. I stopped using cones as soon as I started getting the plastic-y feel, because I found the texture so unpleasant.

Hmmm, I wonder if that is what my problem is - I do henna and it's true, I never noticed a problem with cones before I started henna'ing... interesting.

natatatt
February 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM

Yes! I actually did use mehandi henna. Granted, it was about a year and a half ago and is now just at the bottom of my hair, but I had never noticed this happening until after henna now that you mention it.

spidermom
February 3rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
Cones are plus/minus. They can seal out moisture, but they can also seal in moisture. It isn't very hard to get them out of your hair. A clarifying wash or two should do it, but be sure to follow clarifying with a moisture treatment. That plastic-y feel after clarifying may be dried-out hair.