PDA

View Full Version : General hair -meh thread

Fethenwen
February 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Welcome to the general hair:undecidedmeh thread, here you can rant about your bad hair days :) And maybe find some solutions on what to do. It seems we don't have a thread like this yet, at least I did not find one.

Yes, we all do have these days from time to time. I thought maybe we need a whole thread for this type of thing.

---

Ok, I'll start. My hair has been meh for almost four weeks now, or mostly meh at least. I had to use herbal shampoo instead of just herbs to wash with because my herbs run out, and it has been a pain :wail:
My hair has been either too dry, too oily, full of build up when I try to do something about it or just rough at the ends. I have also had dandruff some days.
I got some herbal hair pack and shikakai from hennaboy just now, but so far I haven't really gotten this thing to work well. Last time I used it I ended up with rough feeling hair that was full of flyaways the next day. *sigh* Now I have this on my head again in hope it will work, I had some conditioner in it and I will not have it on for full 30 min like it was recommended on the package. Thumbs up that this will work.

---
Now what's your story?

krissykins
February 3rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
This thread is so for me right now! Last night, I found SO MANY SPLIT ENDS while I was talking on the phone. Unfortunately, I left my S&D scissors at my parents' house, so I couldn't get rid of them. Today it's just flat and blah, doesn't want to stay in an updo.

I hope your treatment works, Fethenwen!

Rini
February 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I'll have a whinge too! :D My hair is at awkward BSL, I have almost 3 inches of silver roots and the rest is frizz city today :( I haven't had a good hair day in quite some time.

I will join you in a rousing chorus of "meh"!

lara grace
February 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
I got my hair 'trimmed' on Saturday. I told the hairdresser to take an inch off the length and only a tiny tiny bit off the ends of my layers to get rid of the damage. I was sure to tell her that I am trying to grow my layers out. They were finally getting longer but I could tell they needed a bit off just to stop them being so dry and coarse.. However she decided to just pick up chunks of my hair and chop them haphazardly. I now have layers up to my ears in some places and the whole left side at the front is chopped back up to chin length. I'm so upset as I was finally getting happy with my hair :( now im back to worse than square one. I haven't been able to get over it, I feel upset every time I see my disgusting layers in the mirror!

x0h_bother
February 3rd, 2011, 11:30 AM
My hair is flat too, I am having a Meh wave day. The texture is a little flyaway. I blame the weather and my choice to use up my stash. I will have Meh hair for a while.

Alvrodul
February 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Teflon hair!
Which is only to be expected - I hennaed this weekend.

:shrug: My hair tends to get like this every time I henna. It's not exactly unmanageable, but it certainly needs a lot more discipline in order to behave at these times. :whip:

HairFaerie
February 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Great idea for a thread!
I am suffering from "meh" right now too! At shoulder in January and it feels like it's at a standstill.
I tried an updo the other day and it was OK, but nothing to brag about. I didn't really like it and after a few hours, it HURT! Double MEH!
I can't wait to get out of this stage.

janeytilllie
February 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Great thread idea :)

My hair is meh. I'm having breakage and frizzy hair that I can't control. I can not pin point what might be causing my problems. For the last 2 months I have been trimming an inch off each time. It won't stop breaking :wail: :justy:

Medievalmaniac
February 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Me, too! Me, too!

I can NOT get my hair to cooperate over the past couple of days. It doesn't want to be bunned, it doesn't want to be unbunned once it is bunned, it doesn't want to be loose, and it's limp. I don't know why...I just henna'd and clarified la week and a half ago. But this week - blech. :(

spidermom
February 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
I'm plunging through "meh" all the way to "bleh". I've got so many split ends. I've been S&Ding for days and days and days, and it seems like I'm finding just as many splits as on the first day. I think I'm going to need a significant cut back, either that or learn to live with them. Why can't my hair be perfect!?

AspenSong
February 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Meh here!!
My hair seemed to have had a small growth "spurt" a few months ago and the last couple months....the length it's gained has been so minimal it's not worth mentioning hardly...not even half an inch! =(
And then there's just my usually meh-ness over the general fineness of it at times and my lack of skill or amount of hair to make any decent buns or pretty braids. *sigh* And the fact for the last week and a half it seems like no matter how careful I am, I keep snagging my hair on SOMETHING and hearing that dreading snapping noise. *bigger sigh*

xoxophelia
February 3rd, 2011, 11:56 AM
I went slightly overboard with ACV yesterday I guess and developed my own personal brown fluff cloud floofing back and forth around my head as I walked.. wonder what that was.. :rolleyes:

Flutterbee
February 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
I've been stuck in meh for a while now. My hair is too short, has too many layers and my scalp is going through a sensitive phase where I keep having to find a new shampoo that doesn't irritate it. I'd love to just fast forward my life and get back to BSL. Shoulder length gives me flippy ends that are too short to bun.

jujube
February 3rd, 2011, 12:13 PM
I'm sitting with my first ever henna treatment. Can I say, yuck?

GeoJ
February 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
My hair absolutely hates hard water and LOVES soft water. Of course my home has hard water. A shower filter and ACV rinses help a little, but not enough. So I have lots of hair-meh days! The hard water makes it feel rough and look frizzy and puffy. Soft water makes it look and feel smooth (still wavy, but smooth waves, not frizzy waves).

Peashy
February 3rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
Great thread idea :)

My hair is meh. I'm having breakage and frizzy hair that I can't control. I can not pin point what might be causing my problems. For the last 2 months I have been trimming an inch off each time. It won't stop breaking :wail: :justy:

I'm having this exact problem too :(

I haven't cut it at all as i'm really trying to grow it, I do S&D however when I see splits although I don't think I have too many. My hair just seems so unmanageable i'm really not loving it right now...

podo
February 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
I'm plunging through "meh" all the way to "bleh". I've got so many split ends. I've been S&Ding for days and days and days, and it seems like I'm finding just as many splits as on the first day. I think I'm going to need a significant cut back, either that or learn to live with them. Why can't my hair be perfect!?

I had the same thing happen a while back - I chopped about 6" off at once. I looked for splits - chopped an inch - looked for splits - chopped an inch - etc. etc. But I was deliberately doing it to try to start with "no" splits (or at least few enough that I couldn't find any in 10 min of searching).

A few months later I started S&D... and S&D... and S&D - on and on and on! I ended up giving myself layers! AND I lost about another 2", but only 1-2 hairs at a time. This went on for about 3 weeks until I finally decided that I wasn't going to NOT find splits, and I was ruining my growth in a pointless activity.

So I quit.

Now I'll S&D 1-2 nights in a row while watching a movie, but then I'll put up the scissors and ignore them for at least 2 weeks, if not much longer.

My own "meh" has been going on since July 2010 or so. I haven't had ANY growth since then, and only S&D maybe once or twice since then and only for short bouts. I'm pretty sure it's just breakage (or something?) because I had a shorter section that has grown quite a bit in that time.

Now that I've switched to a Tangle Teezer (omg!) I'm not getting any *snap* noises, and I used to get a lot with any type of brush or comb (comb was worse actually). I'm hoping that means the growth will start - or rather, the breakage will stop.

Also, my hair just doesn't want to cooperate with styles! My old "go-to" bun (Equilibrium) hasn't worked since I hit hip, and I can't seem to find a new one.

The day I wash (actually the day after, because I shower in the evening) my hair is so silky smooth it falls out of just about everything, and any time after that it seems stiff.

NO FAIR!!

(slightly OT side note: I bought a little silver flask a couple of years ago with "meh" engraved on the front! heheheh)

Fethenwen
February 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one with unhappy hair. Well my hair treatment did not turn out that great, I think I need pre-oiling even though my hair doesn't seem to like it that much lately. Oh well.

podo
February 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
I think I need pre-oiling even though my hair doesn't seem to like it that much lately.

Maybe time to try a new oil?

oktobergoud
February 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
I just don't KNOW what to do with my hair. It's growing out from a pixiecut and it's all kind of weird wavy.. but that's just how my hair is ;D But it's currently bleached blonde and it's brassy and ugly and I have huuuge roots (2 different kind of colours, even!) and I want to henna it SO BADLY but then I look in the mirror and think 'aah I like the blondeee' and when I look at pictures I just think 'ugh it's horrible'.
I've been having this dilemma for WEEKS now :P I think I'll henna it within a week though.. sigh! :P

Oh and my hair is extremely frizzy with this cold weather (and ofcourse also because of the bleach). It just looks 'meh' in general D:

BunnyBee
February 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
My hair is meh right now. It was excellent for 5 days post wash, now it has started tangling and being uncooperative. I think it's asking to be washed.. We'll see if I can be bothered to do that tonight or rush in the morning...

Fethenwen
February 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Maybe time to try a new oil?
Hmm, maybe so. Coconut definitely doesn't work right now, it usually does. My bhringaraj oil gave me dandruff last time I used it - very weird, it usually helps to prevent it.
:hmm:

spidermom
February 3rd, 2011, 01:51 PM
I think you have a good point there, podo. I've done the same thing before; January 2010 to be exact. I decided to cut back 4 inches, which I figured was behind the majority of the split ends I was seeing then. I haven't had it cut since then except for S&D, and although it was good for about 6 months, since then it has been getting worse x 10. My goal length was classic length maintained for at least one year, so I think that's what I'll do - stick to the plan instead of cutting back a bunch. AND I'm going to get regular small trims from now on because it seemed to keep the damage under better control.

On the non-meh side, I do love my hair this length.

princessp
February 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Fethenwen, it's funny you posted this because I feel the exact same way right now. I am going through one of those shedding periods, I don't love my color (I have changed my henna formula), and I just want to brush my hair (even though I shouldn't, I've been doing it). I'm thinking about even giving myself a small trim to boost my spirit. Definite meh moment. :disgust:

The only thing that seems to be helping is I've been buying new hairtoys. I know it might sound shallow, but they are making me very happy and I feel much prettier with more toys to choose from. I know it will pass but right now the toys are cuter than my hair. :p

HintOfMint
February 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
My hair has been so dry lately because of the winter air and I've had a few incidents when I overdid the oil and ended up with an oilslick on my head.

Also I found a conditioner that smells AMAZING but it does nothing by way of helping with tangles and actually DECREASES shine. My hair is virtually matte.

I also have thin ends in the front thanks to an almost literal hack job when the hairdresser took the hair from my temples and sliced down to create layers. I'm nervous to trim them because I don't trust myself with scissors.

Whew, that was quite a bit of kvetching! Now onto problem solving!

MsBubbles
February 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Oh yes. Major Hair-Meh for me too right now. I think I'm going to have to get bangs and/or highlights to soften/lighten up my face. Very sinister-looking.

georgia_peach
February 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
I just don't KNOW what to do with my hair. It's growing out from a pixiecut and it's all kind of weird wavy.. but that's just how my hair is ;D But it's currently bleached blonde and it's brassy and ugly and I have huuuge roots (2 different kind of colours, even!) and I want to henna it SO BADLY but then I look in the mirror and think 'aah I like the blondeee' and when I look at pictures I just think 'ugh it's horrible'.
I've been having this dilemma for WEEKS now :P I think I'll henna it within a week though.. sigh! :P

Oh and my hair is extremely frizzy with this cold weather (and ofcourse also because of the bleach). It just looks 'meh' in general D:

Hello oktobergoud! I really enjoyed looking at your natural hair journey blog. I think you look really great with the henna and also with the blonde. No wonder you are having such a hard time deciding! But I have to say that I LOVED the picture of the older lady with light red hair. That may have changed my mind and caused me to return to henna. :)

Anywhere
February 3rd, 2011, 03:07 PM
my hair has been meh for the past 4 months or so. it's getting very twotoned with my new growth and the dyed parts look so much thinner/dryer/damaged/yuck than my natural hair, which makes what should be healthy looking hair look greasy and lank in comparison. The layers, going from lower BSL to BCL just emphasize the thin aspect of my hair, since that part is also significantly lighter.

My hair has been up for a whole month now, because I'm too ashamed to wear it down.

jesis
February 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
My hair is some serious meh. It's still damaged from my pre-LHC days. My curls have a mind of their own and I can't always wait for them to dry to make sure they don't look like poo. Sometimes they don't curl at all! My dad even went so far as to tell me I have "doll hair" a few months ago. Blahhh!

I tried CO to no avail. I cut out cones and that REALLY didn't work. I finally found shampoo that works for me (I hope). It has shea butter, which might be perfect for my curls.

I used the Lush Caca henna a few days ago and my hair strands look considerably thicker. I decided to straighten my hair to see if I could see my demarcation line and I noticed how uneven my hair is becoming from my constant s&ds. I have to do these at least once a week since my hair splits so easily, but I'm hoping the henna will help with this. So I've just been doing lots of braids snce my hair is sleek and straight.

My layers are about midneck, almost shoulder, and my hair is driving me nuts lately! Its always rubbing on my neck. I want to chop my hair up to my layers to get rid of them. I'm so tired of them. Blahhhh. Sometimes I just really feel bad about my hair, especially seeing so much gorgeous hair on this forum. Here's to hoping this stage passes soon.

Elph
February 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
I will chime in here. At the moment we are having problems with heat and as such my head is sweating soooo much. That and the fact that I am over the length - I was looking at perming it but for my hair it would cost upwards of $200 and I don't have that spare to spend on my hair.

Oh well I will raise my glass to meh hair.

Eire
February 3rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
My hair hates winter. Unlike wonderful, humid summer when my hair is soft and bouncy and goes nicely into waves that stay all day, my hair becomes a dry, straw-like, dull, ungrowing and uncooperative mess in the winter.

Part of it has to do with the dryness in the air, but a lot of it comes from the fact that I have to wash my hair every day with pretty rough shampoo to prevent scalp flakes. I've tried CO, WO, etc. and nothing will get rid of the flakes in the winter except daily harsh shampoos. I use coconut oil before every shower on the ends and do an ACV rinse after the shower, but it only helps minimally. Sometimes I will skip a shampoo and live with the flaky, itchy scalp for a day just to give my hair a break, but it's not exactly pleasant.

Also, I hate being cold, so my showers in the winter are always a lot hotter than in the summer, when a lukewarm shower is actually tolerable. My house is already on the cold end to save electricity, and I can't bear anything less than a steamy shower in this weather. I'm sure that's not helping my hair situation.

Summer... come soon?

oktobergoud
February 3rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
Hello oktobergoud! I really enjoyed looking at your natural hair journey blog. I think you look really great with the henna and also with the blonde. No wonder you are having such a hard time deciding! But I have to say that I LOVED the picture of the older lady with light red hair. That may have changed my mind and caused me to return to henna. :)

Hey, thanks! I've decided to use henna, FINALLY I GAVE IN. It's on my head right now, I hope it will turn out pretty! (the strand test did look nice though :))
I'm a bit nervous hehe, it will be so different! But the blonde looked horrible lately (brassy, grown out) so yes, this will most likely be an upgrade :D
And thanks, I'm glad someone likes my hair journal! :)

Sanyia
February 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
My hair looks nice, but OMG the split ends! I hate S&D, but I do it often, I even bought new hair-cutting scissors recently... still a ton of split ends.

freckles
February 3rd, 2011, 04:57 PM
I am feeling incredibly meh about my hair recently. I've basically gained very little length since July, partly due to trimming, partly due to breakage. I feel like every hair on my head is a split end. I can't S&D cause I left my scissors at my dad's by accident. :( And recently it's been tangling something rotten, and half of the styles I know it has not been co-operating with. I hope it gets over this stupid tiff soon!

Fethenwen
February 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM
My hair hates winter. Unlike wonderful, humid summer when my hair is soft and bouncy and goes nicely into waves that stay all day, my hair becomes a dry, straw-like, dull, ungrowing and uncooperative mess in the winter.

Part of it has to do with the dryness in the air, but a lot of it comes from the fact that I have to wash my hair every day with pretty rough shampoo to prevent scalp flakes. I've tried CO, WO, etc. and nothing will get rid of the flakes in the winter except daily harsh shampoos. I use coconut oil before every shower on the ends and do an ACV rinse after the shower, but it only helps minimally. Sometimes I will skip a shampoo and live with the flaky, itchy scalp for a day just to give my hair a break, but it's not exactly pleasant.

Also, I hate being cold, so my showers in the winter are always a lot hotter than in the summer, when a lukewarm shower is actually tolerable. My house is already on the cold end to save electricity, and I can't bear anything less than a steamy shower in this weather. I'm sure that's not helping my hair situation.

Summer... come soon?
This sounds very much like my hair in the winter.

Sometimes I sort of give up on it and just put it up without even trying to make it look nice. At least it doesn't get much damage when it's up and away. On really bad days I just put it under a beanie hat and be done with it. *sigh* :o

McFearless
February 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I feel terrible about my hair. From the ears down my hair is practically straight. :( My roots at 3b curls and its all just a mess. I've stopped straightening it for over a year now but the progress is so minimal And on top of that my hair is like 5 different colours. I just want to shave it all off.

Bonkers57
February 9th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Mine has suffered a hack job, too, except I did it to myself! I cut my bangs WAY too wide in the hopes they'd look thicker. Meh...

I also have thin ends in the front thanks to an almost literal hack job when the hairdresser took the hair from my temples and sliced down to create layers. I'm nervous to trim them because I don't trust myself with scissors.

Whew, that was quite a bit of kvetching! Now onto problem solving!

Bonkers57
February 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Just don't cut them yourself (unless you're good at it or you are very very careful!) You don't want your bangs to end up like mine.

Oh yes. Major Hair-Meh for me too right now. I think I'm going to have to get bangs and/or highlights to soften/lighten up my face. Very sinister-looking.

wvgemini
February 9th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Mine is just kind of sitting there too. With blah color to match. I was hoping to take care of that this weekend but I don't know if I will be in town on Sunday and so that throws things off.

Shoulder-length is proving to be a very meh stage for me. Especially since I seem to have had a burst of thickness lately. I should like that, but it's starting to give me triangle head :/

krissykins
February 10th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Argh. Did a protein treatment. The damaged part of my hair loved it even though it poofed into weird curls, the healthy part turned out really flat and straight. No wearing my hair down this week.

anodyne_ame
February 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Looks like I'm not the only one going through the "my hair hates winter"-phase. My hair gets really static and dry, wearing a hat makes it look greasier faster and the general look is just limp and thin.

Because it's so limp and thin, I get discouraged when attempting new hairstyles and the buns come up tiny.

My ends suddently generated a massive amounts of split ends, and even though I can see from my roots (I dyed my hair) that there's at least 3 cm of growth, the overall length stays the same.

The last thing is my hair colour. I'm not all that happy about my natural colour, but the dye that worked well for me the first time damaged my hair the second time (I suspect they changed some of the ingredients). And I'm a little too lazy to keep applying new dye to the roots, especially since I seem to have a nice growth rate going...

That said, I'm wondering whether I should try hendigo or just give in and grow virgin hair.

Woah that was a lot more ranting than I thought, but I feel better after writing that out. This is a nice thread :)

Lianna
February 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I'm still coping with henna gloss dryness, not too happy about that.

Copasetic
February 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I have been so busy with school that my I have just been throwing my hair into an ugly half-hearted bun every day. As a result, it looks terrible! It's frustrating, but I just don't have time in the morning to do anything with it.

ratgirldjh
February 10th, 2011, 02:25 PM
My hair has been meh too. I recently went overboard on trying new things (mostly herbs) and I'm just trying to get it back to normal again - normal sounds pretty nice now :D The dry air doesn't help - my hair gets either staticky or limp...

LocustSpawning
February 10th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I HATE MY HAIR.

I actually hate it. Just felt like saying, >: (

young&reckless
February 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Winter hair :( dry, tangled and dull looking.

MEH!

Anywhere
February 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I hate my bangs. They're growing out from a blunt cut and look horrible pushed to the side at this point, and look just as bad straight across my forehead at this length. They also look either insanely oily or insanely dry, and i've been hating on them for the past week or two.

JulietCapulet
February 11th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I guess I just wish my hair were straight.

Mesmerise
February 11th, 2011, 10:39 PM
My hair has been meh ever since my shedding...I hate wearing it out unless it's straightened, but even then it looks stringy! I don't have the "winter hair" excuse, cause it's summer here! I have so much short hair around my head - lots of which is regrowth and some of which is that short hair that never grows long... around my temples and at the hairline...but I have HEAPS of it, more than normal...so I think some is regrowth...it's weird... if I'm not careful to tuck my hair behind my ears, all that hair sticks out cause it's too short to pull back! I just didn't think so much of the hair I lost was over my ears?? So weird...

Curly_jas
February 12th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I'm really not feeling too good about my hair today, i just want the rest of the heat damaged hair to be gone (trimmed off) i already cut from shoulder length to neck last august and my hair has grown quickly to just past shoulder length but i just want the last bits off! Yet as a lot of you guys know the hairdresser never seems to do what you ask, i have layers (which i didn't ask for and have hated ever since getting them 2 years or so ago) and the longest layers are okay now and not really damaged but it's just the top shortest layer that needs a trim, it's runing the whole look of my curly hair *sighs*

haikitteh
February 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I dunno what's going on with my hair lately. It's lost it's curl but it doesn't want to be totally straight either. I'm trying to keep from heat-styling it, but it's hard when it doesn't seem to have any definable style on it's own.

BTW, this thread is very cathartic. I like knowing there's someplace I can dump negative hair feelings without bothering anyone, unless they want to peek into the thread.:coolblue:

mellie89
February 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I am so sick of my half grown-out bangs. GRRR. GROW ALREADY. I am so mad at myself for trimming them so much back in December. They would be chin-length by now if I hadn't done that.

Also, my oil shampoo yesterday turned out terrible! I'm shampooing again today.

jenjen10
February 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I feel like my hair hasn't grown at all the past few months... :mad: Looking back at pictures, it seems like my hair grows a lot in spring and summer so I am hoping to make up for this stall then but it is SO frustrating right now.

Toad Squalor
February 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I'm ambivalent about what is apparently now my natural hair color. It seems like it's a bit lighter than I recall, but when I look at photos from a few years ago when I didn't really color my hair on a regular basis, I realize that it's not. The color looks yellowed and weird under fluorescent light, but I'm okay with it when I'm in natural or incandescent light. It currently looks like this (https://picasaweb.google.com/nashiitashii/Hair?authkey=Gv1sRgCOGY9d-Jq_yABA#5572905498601532690); the bangs are entirely virgin hair, and compared to the dyed segments (henna and indigo experiments and over a year of henna thrown in regularly), the ash-brown color of my hair just looks weird when it's defined.

I think I'm going to let it grow out for a while longer to see whether I will go back to just virgin hair. It's far less maintenance and I don't entirely dislike having what's an unusual hair color in this area. (Brown isn't unusual, but cool-toned browns are.) :undecided

How long before my hair stops looking like it's been at the same length for months? Shoulder to collarbone length sucks.

ChatNoir
February 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'm having a major meh-period hair wise right now. I'm shedding like crazy... AGAIN... and even though my hair is barely passed SL it's getting see through! I feel like crying.... I've started taking Biotin to boost those new little hairs that I see popping up, and I'm eating a lot of protein too... Still, though.. I hope it'll come to an end and start thickening up real soon...