PDA

View Full Version : What is the best natural/organic shampoo?

Dreamkitty
February 3rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
I want to try out a mild organic shampoo made 100% from natural ingredients but I don't know where to start. Can anyone give me some good recommendations please?:)

Becky9679
February 3rd, 2011, 06:15 AM
I personally swear by Lush products. They are mostly natural (some contain very few chemicals but they list natural ingredients in green and chemicals in black so it's easy to check which ones). They are also silicone free, anti-animal testing and most contain no animal-derived ingredients.

I personally prefer their shampoo bars as they last much longer - when using liquid shampoos I tend to use way too much at once! I've been using Lush for about 15 years for virtually all my haircare needs and wouldn't swap to any other company!

If you need any help with your specific hair type just ask one of the shop staff, I've been to branches of Lush in several cities and have always found them very friendly and helpful

Pixna
February 3rd, 2011, 06:18 AM
I use Aubrey Organics (http://www.aubrey-organics.com/) shampoo and conditioner. Have for years. Love 'em!

NouvelleNymphe2
February 3rd, 2011, 06:31 AM
There is a really nice Argan Shampoo here in France. I believe exact brand and name is "Natessence Argan Shampooing." I also use Aubrey Organic Conditioner (Luxurious Camomile) and it is lovely. I'm not as huge of a fan of the Shampoo (same Luxurious Camomile). HTH :)

Lilli
February 3rd, 2011, 06:51 AM
I have liked all the Giovanni products I have tried.

Dina L.
February 3rd, 2011, 06:57 AM
All the lush shampoo bars that are sold in Hungary contain SLS. Is there a difference in the UK product range?

podo
February 3rd, 2011, 11:11 AM
I live by the products on ******** (http://www.********.com) - they're a touch expensive when you first start out, but oh, so worth it!

rhosyn_du
February 3rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Goth Rosary has a really nice shampoo. I keep trying other brands of natural shampoos in the hopes that something I can buy locally will work, but I haven't found anything that compares.

Valdeon
February 3rd, 2011, 11:48 AM
I personally swear by Lush products. They are mostly natural (some contain very few chemicals but they list natural ingredients in green and chemicals in black so it's easy to check which ones). They are also silicone free, anti-animal testing and most contain no animal-derived ingredients.

I second that! Lush shampoos are great: I've been using them for over 1,5 years now and have no desire to try something new whatsoever.
My personal favorite is Rehab: it might be more on the expansive side but it lasts forever! One 100ml bottle ended only after 8 month of frequent usage.

MidnightMoon
July 25th, 2018, 04:22 AM
Reviving yet another old thread.
Looking for shampoo and conditioner suggestions I can find in Europe, preferably here in Germany. There's plenty of stores here, like regular supermarkets (Edeka, Aldi, Famila), drogeries (DM, Rossmann), and organic/bio shops. It's hard for me to choose a product because I don't want to spend a year reading all ingredients or trying every single brand.

Basically, my priority is finding something that works for me, isn't so harmful to the environment, and is produced ethically. I may not be able to spend a fortune, but I don't wash my hair more than every 5 days or more, and I honestly feel like something is wrong when a product costs 1 or 2 euro. Not with the product itself, but I just can't imagine under what conditions the ingredients must be produced, who works on that, what damage they might be causing to the environment, and what they do (or don't) that I might not agree with. I'm suddenly feeling conscious about the amount of crap we put down the drain daily, and feel I should worry more about the origin and destination of what I consume.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

MusicalSpoons
July 25th, 2018, 04:39 AM
Natura Siberica do a range of sulphate-free and silicone-free shampoos and conditioners; they have a list of ethical credentials I believe.

Ugh, my brain has stalled and I cannot think of anything else right now. Though I think there was a thread about cruelty-free products either here or in the Conventional Products section?

ETA: here it is https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146989

MidnightMoon
July 25th, 2018, 05:08 AM
Natura Siberica do a range of sulphate-free and silicone-free shampoos and conditioners; they have a list of ethical credentials I believe.

Ugh, my brain has stalled and I cannot think of anything else right now. Though I think there was a thread about cruelty-free products either here or in the Conventional Products section?

Thanks for the tip! The name sounds familiar, not only from here, but also just today I saw it mentioned in Aliia Nasyrova's instagram (https://www.instagram.com/aliia_more/). I'll check it out.

Ylva
July 25th, 2018, 06:09 AM
I currently have a 100% biodegradeable, vegan, organic, sulfate free shampoo that I ordered from eBay from the seller Mother Nature's Goodies. This: http://mothernaturesgoodies.co.uk/organic-shampoo-fragrance-free-base-sls-free-mild-gentle-add-essential-oil/

I can't say if it's the best or not, because I have nothing else to compare it to. It's quite difficult to find such alternatives where I'm from (a small town in a country where everything arrives late anyway), thus I ordered online, and I have quite a bit of shampoo to get through at the moment, so won't be comparing anytime soon. :) But it has worked for me and I quite like it. My hair feels quite coarse after shampooing with that, but that's only when wet and it's fixed with conditioner anyway.

MusicalSpoons
July 25th, 2018, 08:13 AM
I currently have a 100% biodegradeable, vegan, organic, sulfate free shampoo that I ordered from eBay from the seller Mother Nature's Goodies. This: http://mothernaturesgoodies.co.uk/organic-shampoo-fragrance-free-base-sls-free-mild-gentle-add-essential-oil/

I can't say if it's the best or not, because I have nothing else to compare it to. It's quite difficult to find such alternatives where I'm from (a small town in a country where everything arrives late anyway), thus I ordered online, and I have quite a bit of shampoo to get through at the moment, so won't be comparing anytime soon. :) But it has worked for me and I quite like it. My hair feels quite coarse after shampooing with that, but that's only when wet and it's fixed with conditioner anyway.

That looks interesting! Could you post the ingredients list please? I can't seem to find it on their website.

Panthera
July 25th, 2018, 09:15 AM

You may want to try Urtekram, it's quite similar, organic, sulfate and silicone free and not very expensive. Also readily available in many stores. :)

nycelle
July 25th, 2018, 09:41 AM
You may want to try Urtekram, it's quite similar, organic, sulfate and silicone free and not very expensive. Also readily available in many stores. :)

I was just checking out this aloe vera shampoo (https://www.urtekram.com/products/body-care/hair/aloe-vera-shampoo-dry-hair-organic-500-ml) and saw they have two sets of ingredients listed - one for local and one for international.
They're saying they're a Scandinavian company. So does that mean only the Scandinavian countries get the organic products?

MusicalSpoons
July 25th, 2018, 09:46 AM

I was just checking out this aloe vera shampoo (https://www.urtekram.com/products/body-care/hair/aloe-vera-shampoo-dry-hair-organic-500-ml) and saw they have two sets of ingredients listed - one for local and one for international.
They're saying they're a Scandinavian company. So does that mean only the Scandinavian countries get the organic products?

Just looked up Urtekram and the ones available in the UK are organic/vegan/etc. (They do however contain sodium coco-sulphate, which to my understanding is SLS, just specifically derived from coconuts and slightly less refined :hmm: )

nycelle
July 25th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Just looked up Urtekram and the ones available in the UK are organic/vegan/etc. (They do however contain sodium coco-sulphate, which to my understanding is SLS, just specifically derived from coconuts and slightly less refined :hmm: )

hmm.. so organic but different ingredients?

Can only get them here through Amazon, and I'm not sure I trust Amazon for cosmetic/beauty items.

lapushka
July 25th, 2018, 10:29 AM

Seconding this brand! :D If I could go sulfate-free, it would be first choice along with Avalon Organics. Do you have a Holland & Barrett in Germany? The latter might be found there. The former, no clue. I only know where to get it here in Belgium. :)

Panthera
July 25th, 2018, 10:51 AM

Oh right, I forgot about the coco sulfate. :D Some people don't consider it as a bad sulfate, some do. Well anyway, The Urtekram Morning haze shampoo doesn't have coco sulfate.

International list of ingredients (INCI): Aqua, aloe barbadensis leaf extract*, lauryl glucoside, sodium cocoyl glutamate, coco-glucoside, lactic acid, glycerin**, glyceryl oleate, diglycerin, salix purpurea bark extract*, rubus chamaemorus fruit extract*, sambucus nigra flower extract*, vaccinium macrocarpon fruit extract*, helianthus annuus seed extract*, sodium chloride, citrus aurantium dulcis peel oil*, citrus limon peel oil*, sodium hyaluronate, parfum, polyglyceryl-4 caprate, xanthan gum, limonene

Natashap
July 25th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Live clean is the best .

MidnightMoon
July 26th, 2018, 01:06 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll look for any of those brands next time I go to the organic store by the city. I'll check out conventional stores as well but I'm afraid I might not be familiar with any of them so far, which probably means I won't be able to find them there.

Ylva
Thanks. If I can't find any of the brands locally I'll probably have to order it online too. I don't have much to compare to, either. Until now, I've mostly use common commercial brands, like Garnier, Pantene, L' Oreal, things like that. But I've never had -with one exception- awful results with anything, so I'm hoping the transition won't be a big deal :p

lapushka I had never heard of it. Just googled it, and apparently not. They seem to have a lot of stores in Belgium (it's the first thing in their website), but not here.

nycelle I don't trust Amazon much either :lol:
I've ordered Pravana, though, without problems, but I can't even tell a legit seller from the shady ones so I tend to avoid it unless it's stuff I can really tell is the real deal.

Panthera and MusicalSpoons thank you both. And it's good to have someone who knows more than me about ingredients and whatnot... I'll also check around for Urtekram in any case.

MidnightMoon
July 26th, 2018, 01:07 AM
Live clean is the best .

I've heard about it before, here, I believe. Noted also. Thanks!

ravenskey
July 26th, 2018, 10:16 AM
I use Faith in Nature products and they have a German website so I presume the products are sold in Germany.
Some of the shampoo does have ammonium lauryl sulfate but if you co-wash I don't think the conditioners have silicones - there are ingredients lists on the website.

Inching Along
July 26th, 2018, 11:33 AM
This may not work for you, MidnightMoon, since you're in Germany, but perhaps those in the US will find it useful.

I have been using Hairprint shampoos and conditioners (https://www.myhairprint.com/pages/shampoos-conditioners) for about a year and a half. I like how clean my hair feels, with no residue and nothing to build up on my hair. I dilute the shampoo with filtered water in a small-tipped squeeze bottle and use it to apply the shampoo directly to my scalp.

Ylva
July 26th, 2018, 06:25 PM
That looks interesting! Could you post the ingredients list please? I can't seem to find it on their website.

I can when I'm at home and can look at the huge 5 liter jug that sits on my toilet shelf. :D Currently traveling in Norway.

I have tried some of their products, and indeed, they are available around here. :) But to my understanding most of their products aren't sulfate free - at least I haven't come across any shampoo like that from them. But I read that the Morning Haze shampoo should be, I might give that one a shot once my shampoo stock is depleted. :)