PDA

View Full Version : Static in Hair Brush

ammorgan
February 3rd, 2011, 12:41 AM
I have static in my hair brush, is there any way to get rid of it? I tried rubbing a dryer sheet over my hair and over the top of the brush, but my hair still got staticy when I brushed it.

Barniie
February 3rd, 2011, 01:29 AM
Maybe try a wooden brush. They discourage static. I like wooden paddle brushes best!

ammorgan
February 3rd, 2011, 01:44 AM
I'm looking at the Sally Beauty Supply and looking at the brushes. It doesn't look like a boar bristle brush would go through my hair, will it?

dinnee
February 3rd, 2011, 03:18 AM
A boar bristle brush will most likely not go trough your hair. It's not designed to get out the tangles, but it does distribute oils and sebum through your hair. If you want something to get out the knots, try a wooden brush or a tangle teaser.

Madora
February 3rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
@ Ammorgan...Whether or not a boar bristle brush will go through your hair depends on the length of the bristles, the thickness of your hair, and how you brush.

The stiffness of the bristles also plays a role in brushing.

Some of the higher end brushes have longer bristles.

My hair is very thick and I'm able to brush thoroughly by brushing in the "bent at the waist" position, then brushing standing upright.

Brushing creates static (it doesn't reside in your brush). You can tame the static by following each swipe of your brush with the palm of your other hand.

Brushing not only exercises the hair follicles and distributes the natural sebum down your length, it also removes dead cells, lint and with time gives your hair softness and shine.

podo
February 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Also spritz a bit of water or oil on the brush (or on your hair). It will get rid of the static.

Anje
February 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
Wood or horn combs seem to create less static than plastic brushes.

Another major factor is moisture. Make sure your hair is sufficiently moisturized, and think about using a humidifier.

HairFaerie
February 3rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
I second the water/oil hair mist spritzed on brush or hair right before brushing.
In the winter, static is a problem for me. I made a small bottle of hair mist that contains mostly water, a tiny bit of jojoba oil (rice bran oil or avocado oil works well too), and a few drops of essential oils. It not only gets rid of static but it makes you hair so soft and smells wonderful! :)

HairColoredHair
February 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
I find my horn comb deals with static quite well, plastic combs/brushes and BBB brushes make my hair all poofy.

PeaceLoveHair
February 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
This winter, for the very first time in my life, I'm enjoying static free hair. Yay! All because I switched from my regular plastic brushes to wooden brushes. I wish it didnt take me SO long to figure out something SO simple. Thanks LHC!