PDA

View Full Version : Hair Shedding: Better to Cut and Start Over

Poetic
February 2nd, 2011, 06:42 PM
Hi. It has been quite a while since I visited the board. I have been too depressed to view the beautiful heads of hair present here. You see over the last few months I have been experiencing extreme shedding/hair loss. My hair has started to come out at a rapid pace. I am considering cutting it up to around breast length where the hair appears to be of similar thickness from where it is presently (below waist) and starting over. I must admit. I was looking at my hair today and it is no longer attractive. I believe cutting may be my only option.

Have any of you had this issue? Did starting anew help? I should mention my thyroid levels are extremely off and I am presently under observation to get them back under control. Would it be best to wait until after this time? Thanks in advance.

Mesmerise
February 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
I understand your pain! I went through massive shedding last year... lost at least 1/3 of the thickness... if not more. I had only just grown it to a reasonable length by this time and was still working towards waist and did NOT want to cut... BUT... I have been tempted more than once to just cut off a few inches.

I think I've had a couple of trims... which were not tiny trims... probably 1.5" a time, for a total of 3"... but haven't gone for the big chop.

I have decided to persist in not cutting! I know it will take JUST AS LONG to have my normal thickness long hair whether I cut or not... so while it looks thinner and stringier, I won't have to do all that growing out again which I hate.

I wear my hair up most of the time, so it's not obvious that it looks bad and I try not to obsess too much!! At the moment I'm about 3" above waist, and I've decided to get to waist and then keep trimming until it's thickened up (which will take years!).

My advice would be that if you really want to cut off a large amount, you start by taking off smaller amounts... so go and get say 2" chopped off and see how you feel. If you regret that you'll know you made the right decision not to cut further!

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 07:07 PM
I like change, and the idea of maintaining the same length for years waiting for the thickness to grow down would drive me more crazy than cutting back and starting over. Every length has its advantages. Every length has styles unique to it that you lose with increased length. For instance - I would LOVE to get the french twist and the peacock twist back.

pepperminttea
February 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Emichiee made frequent trimming work for her (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60182), her story's definitely worth a read.

HintOfMint
February 3rd, 2011, 10:44 AM
I personally don't think thin ends are worth it, and you'll just spend a longer time being unhappy with your hair. At least at the length you described, your hair will still be long and you can still do certain styles with it, and it will look nice when you wear it down.

Poetic
February 4th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts everyone. :) :flower: