PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who CWC with diluted shampoo ...

florenonite
June 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Have you ever thought about doing it on dry hair? I've always heard that you shouldn't put shampoo on dry hair, but I've thought my hair might like it if I put conditioner on it dry. I can't do this with CWC because the wetting involved before shampooing would rinse out the first C, making it useless (3 C's followed by oiling would be overkill on my fine hair). However, it occurred to me that if I dilute my shampoo before applying it, which I do in a 100 mL bottle that lasts for a few washes, then maybe I don't need to wet my hair before washing. Is there anyone who does this, or do you think it might be a bad idea?

Curlsgirl
June 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Why would you want to do that? I guess you could try it. It seems like it would be drying to me though. I never heard of anyone doing it but I'm sure someone has!

hurricane_gia
June 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I tried it a couple of times.

Curlsgirl asks why anyone would want to? Because: I was mainly trying to conserve water, and thought that since the shampoo was already so diluted, I wouldn't need wet hair.

The part where you let the shower water run for three or four minutes and let the conditioner soak in seemed like a waste of water to me, since I do not shave in the shower and I don't use soap on my body. I had nothing to do during those minutes except waste water. I suppose I could turn the water off, but then I'd be standing there wet in a drafty bathroom. Yuck.

I'd also had better luck doing SMTs on dry hair than on wet hair, so I thought it would be cool if I could do the first C- of CWC on dry hair, then I wouldn't even have to be in the shower, I could be walking around the bedroom folding laundry until I was ready for bathtime, and then I could do the -WC part.

Anyway, so I tried it a couple of times and it didn't work. The conditioner was much harder to rinse out, and the diluted shampoo didn't lather up very well and I had to use twice as much.

It's a shame, as it would have been so convenient.

AprilElf
June 10th, 2008, 01:11 AM
florenonite said:

I've always heard that you shouldn't put shampoo on dry hair, but I've thought my hair might like it if I put conditioner on it dry. I can't do this with CWC because the wetting involved before shampooing would rinse out the first C, making it useless

Not if you hold your conditioned length out of the way, or wet your scalp from the front rather than the back.

I don't think there would really be any benefit to putting shampoo on dry hair.

When I CWC, I soak my length in a basin of water, then apply conditioner before getting in the shower (because I don't want to waste too much water). Then I can walk around the house for as long as I please with a towel over my shoulders to catch the drips.
First thing I do when I get in the shower is wet my scalp, then shampoo.
Then add second conditioner and attend to other shower-time things before rinsing out.

I've applied SMTs to wet and dry hair and had good results regardless.

Oh yes, ... and I use diluted shampoo and conditioner too.

missy60
June 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM
On the AOHR bottle it says to apply the conditioner for 15 mins before shampooing for a deep treatment. I have to agree with Curlsgirl it would seem drying because dry hair absorbs more then wet hair.

Even if the conditioner rinses off it would still sort of coat the hair and help protect the length from shampoo. When I was having problems with conditioner over load I just went back to shampooing with diluted shampoo on my scalp only without the conditioner. Then apply the conditioner afterwards. I do mine backwards though I get out of the shower and rinse later if I want to leave it in.

florenonite
June 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I, too, am just WO on my body, and if it weren't for my hair I'd spend next to no time in the shower (and, indeed, do on days I don't wash my hair), so my conditioner doesn't really 'sit' on my hair much, which was one of my reasons for applying it dry. AprilElf's idea looks good, I'll try that next time I wash my hair, though I'd be afraid of not getting all of it wet as it's fine and thick. Of course, as missy60 pointed out, I suppose some conditioner would stay in to protect my hair if I don't thoroughly rinse it off while wetting my hair.