PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames because of hair?

PiroskaCicu
February 2nd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Do people nickname you because of your hair? I.e have people ever referred to you with a name that directly relates to your hair colour/type/length/etc?

My hair is really soft and fluffy so I'm officially called "Fluffo" or "Fluffkin" by my SO.

patienceneeded
February 2nd, 2011, 05:28 PM
I got called Pippi Longstocking in college...

Rapunzelwannabe
February 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
When I do two french braids my mom calls me becky thatcher, which I'm cool with as long as it's the Becky from Tom N' Huck :p

Nago
February 2nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
My friends use to call me "Pantene hair", because I am always taking care of it(even if it's not specially healthy)

BunnyBee
February 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Err, well I used to hide behind it at school (shyyyy) so Cousin It was the best I got... hmph

Lunnafindel
February 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
I've been "Rapunzel" for a long time now. I keep trying to explain that any tower climbable using 4-foot hair isn't really worth it, but they keep calling me that anyway. :P

BunnyBee
February 2nd, 2011, 05:54 PM
I've been "Rapunzel" for a long time now. I keep trying to explain that any tower climbable using 4-foot hair isn't really worth it, but they keep calling me that anyway. :P

Rapunzel has got to be the most craved nickname on this forum! (one day, one day) *sigh*

Love your siggy pic by the way ;)

Johanna
February 2nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
I've had Repunzel a few times as a joke. At my last job though, my supervisor would call me 'Princess', not in a bad way at all. I think she called me that because I was always playing with the dresses and jewllery and I liked to dress up really nice with fancy updo's at work.

GeoJ
February 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
I've gotten Cousin It before, too. That was a long time ago; I haven't had any nicknames since high school.

I sent my DD to school with her hair down today, and after school her teacher gave me compliments about my DD's hair and said she called her Pocahontas all day (My DD thought that was great, she wasn't upset by it).

Capybara
February 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
I used to get Rapunzel all the time when my hair was tailbone length. I also got "crazy cat lady" a few times :D Even though I have never owned any cats.

ETA: I don't currently have any hair-related nicknames.

Becky Safari
February 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
I get Rapunzel, Hippy, Granola, Mermaid, Cat Lady, Avatar braid LOL

Nae
February 2nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Ha! How timely. They dubbed me "curly locks" last weekend at work. (Apparently I have been wearing my hair up so much they forgot that I had curls.:rolleyes:)

As you can see by my siggy picture I am not near as curly as some of the wonderful people on this site so I will just categorize my co-workers as crazy people. No problem with that lol.

freecelt
February 2nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Furball, cousin it and once in a grocery store when I had my hair down a little girl gasped and said "Princess" :P

HairColoredHair
February 2nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
Folks at work called me Rapunzel...

And I get 'Pippi Longstocking' when I wear double braids.

jaine
February 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
In high school at least one person called me Sasquatch! :D I love to brag about this now for some reason ... it always makes people laugh.

MissManda
February 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM
When my hair was permed, I got Pippin and Frodo a lot. I think I was also called Curly Locks a couple times, too.

With long hair, I get Princess and Pocahontas or sometimes Fluffy because of how poofy my hair gets when I make it wavy. Oh, and I've also gotten Hermione and Ginny or "Harry Potter Girl." And yes, I have gotten the Harry Potter remarks from people who don't even know me.

I don't ever remember being called Rapunzel, however, so I guess I just don't look very Rapunzel-ish.

Luminescence
February 2nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
Rapunzel has got to be the most craved nickname on this forum! (one day, one day) *sigh*

So true!
I don't think I've had any nicknames; it's more of the general way people talk to me, and puns and jokes that they make. So it's more subtle, I guess. Most of the jokes are about me being from a different century :)

Malibu Barbie
February 2nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Gosh, The one I always here..Yo blondie, and I get called "Alice", as in wonderland a lot because I always wear headbands:)

squiggyflop
February 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
a bunch of guys at my college call me 'red'.. i assume its because my hair is red..

kteachone
February 2nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
In 6th grade, this kid called me big head...he even wrote it in my yearbook.

HintOfMint
February 2nd, 2011, 08:06 PM
On a very humid day, I've gotten, "Oh hey, Poodle!" Granted, this was from the same woman who commented on my "Pantene Hair," the day before, so it was all in good humor.

IcarusBride
February 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
I had a friend in high school who called me Barbie sometimes. I bleached my hair back in those days, but it was much more golden blonde than Barbie's platinum blonde.

PiroskaCicu
February 2nd, 2011, 08:11 PM
Hehe, these are fun names! I've also been called "Cousin It" when I had waist length hair in high school...

also, my DBF also calls me Pippi Longstocking when I wear my hair in 2 braids :P

enfys
February 2nd, 2011, 08:20 PM
Nothing that stuck. I've been referred to as the one with the hair though. "enfys called earlier" "whuch one?" "the one with the hair". I just so happens I have a lot of friends with the same name so distinguishing features are handy.

I like how it's the hair not the long hair!

Rennire
February 2nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
I get called Princess a lot because I do lots of braids and things. Some people say it in a nice way but most of the people don't. :steam They think I am snotty and spoiled or something but they hardly even know me.

When I had black hair and wore it down one of my old coworkers called me Arwen and I didn't mind =)

squintinschool
February 2nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Nothing that stuck really, other than Tymoshenko, due to my affinity for braids (when one lacks hairtoys, they are very useful). Especially when I'm wearing a crown braid (well, technically lace Dutch crown braid, because I can't figure out how to take from the middle and not screw it up).

GRU
February 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
In some circles I'm known as "Brillohead" because my hair resembles a rusty old Brillo pad (steel wool).

krissykins
February 2nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
This isn't really a nickname, but once when my hair was straightened, I combed it in front of my face at school just to be silly. The people around me kept making references to me being the girl in The Ring. They still joke about that even though it's been five years. :p

estherbeth
February 2nd, 2011, 09:58 PM
We read a (badly) abridged version of Anne of Green Gables in gradeschool. Afterward, I was called 'Carrots' by a couple of classmates for the longest. I didn't so much mind because I had loved and felt a great kinship with the Anne series for a very long time before that.

Sometime around when I was in... 4th or 5th grade, maybe, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? aired on tv. I watched it with my mom and it scared the crap out of me. Apparently another girl in my class watched it, too, because the very next day, she made a snotty remark to me and ended it by called me 'Baby Jane'. She got slugged. That was the one time I ever hit anyone.

An older man in my mom's church calls me 'Viking princess' every time he sees me. I like that one most. :}

TiaKitty
February 3rd, 2011, 01:09 AM
I had a name tag at work that said Rapunzle!!! That was the coolest, ever! An official, engraved name tag. The manager sent off for it.

Other than that... I can't think of any hair-related nick-names.

rena
February 3rd, 2011, 01:34 AM
Fuzzy
Fuzzilicious
Fuzzily
Fuzzal
Fuzzlet...

And any other variation of "fuzzy" that could possibly be thought of *sigh*

leoninnu
February 3rd, 2011, 01:43 AM
I was always called Pippi Longstockings even though I never even wore my hair on braids. It was the combination of my hair colour and my face just looking like hers :P I had it all, orange hair, buck teeth, freckles, light lashes and eyebrows, dimples when I smiled... No need for braids. Everyone would have though I was going to a costume party if I had put my hair on braids.

meerikal
February 3rd, 2011, 01:45 AM
I get the rather unoriginal "Red" or "Flamer" because of my hair color. Nothing related to the length yet.

maria_asa
February 3rd, 2011, 01:59 AM
I haven't gotten any nicknames but at work I've heard people describe me as "the one with sticks in her hair".

Olyve
February 3rd, 2011, 01:59 AM
As a child two of the older boys in my grandparents neighborhood (they were in their teens) loved to call me Medusa. This nickname has stuck with the two(one still calls me it, the other killed himself last year), I asked them a couple years ago why they called me Medusa, their response: Your hair was so straight it stuck up and in the wind blew around. It looked as if it had a mind of it's own.

So my hair was referenced to snakes because of how they wiggled around on her head! :rolleyes:

Purdy Bear
February 3rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
When I had really long hair as a child and plait/braid it all the time I was called the Squaw by the Dinner Ladies.

Iv been called Baldy by some nasty women, but other then that its usually my name.

FoxRain
February 3rd, 2011, 02:23 AM
Usually blondie or hippie.
When I died my hair black people said I looked "British" (:confused:).
Now my friend calls me Monk after I shaved it:D I quite like that nick.

Chamy
February 3rd, 2011, 03:15 AM
I got one, my colleagues calls me the braid, but in Swedish, flštan. Thats me! Haha.

Dina L.
February 3rd, 2011, 05:50 AM
I used to be called witch (the one that makes magic), but in a nice way :magic:

Xandergrammy
February 3rd, 2011, 06:01 AM
Rapunzel, Pippi Longstocking, Pocahontas, Hippie, Cousin Itt- I've been called at different times by different people. One of the guys at work regularly calls me Rapunzel (and he's bald- so I guess it's all relative, huh?)

freecelt
February 3rd, 2011, 08:29 AM
I guess people aren't very original when it comes to hair nick names because there seams to be the same one's popping up over again in this thread :P

PiroskaCicu
February 3rd, 2011, 08:41 AM
I guess people aren't very original when it comes to hair nick names because there seams to be the same one's popping up over again in this thread :P

I noticed that too :p

GRU
February 3rd, 2011, 08:43 AM
And yet, somehow, I'm the only Brillohead.... :lol:

noelgirl
February 3rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
I've gotten Princess Leia a couple of times.

Patty lou
February 3rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
When I wear my hair braided and pinned up across the top of my head I get called "Heidi"

Patty lou

Kherome
February 3rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
And yet, somehow, I'm the only Brillohead.... :lol:

No no, my mother frequently gets called brillohead, and also, bushwoman. LOL She doesn't mind...much.

GRU
February 3rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
No no, my mother frequently gets called brillohead, and also, bushwoman. LOL She doesn't mind...much.

I have a brillo-buddy! :cheese: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/brillo2-1.gif

xoxophelia
February 3rd, 2011, 09:23 AM
I used to wear two french braids with dark blonde hair and i would be called a viking.

ScarlettAdelle
February 3rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm part Native American, and have always had longish hair, save for a few shudder friendly episodes, so when I wore it down straight I got Pochahontas a lot. Which I didn't mind because Pochahontas has lovely hair.

Pyvsi
February 3rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Ch- Ch- Ch- Chia

HairFaerie
February 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
I have had bright red hair several times in my life (dyed, obviously) and each time I get the proverbial "Red" nickname. Not original, but hey...I have been called worse! :whistle:

PiroskaCicu
February 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
I forgot to add that in highschool I was called Ginger because of my dyed red hair :P

OrangeStripe
February 3rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
I used to get told that I was the Devil because I had two curly bits of hair at my temples that always stuck out because I tied my hair back. Thankfully, they've dissappeared. :)

I've also been told I look like Samara from The Ring whenever I have wet hair. But even though I went as Samara for Hallowe'en last year, I don't get called that very often.

xoxophelia
February 3rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
I used to get told that I was the Devil because I had two curly bits of hair at my temples that always stuck out because I tied my hair back. Thankfully, they've dissappeared. :)

I've also been told I look like Samara from The Ring whenever I have wet hair. But even though I went as Samara for Hallowe'en last year, I don't get called that very often.

The devil horns! I have this exact same thing. I can't wear a ponytail pulled back straight without a part without some serious product or sweat in my hair :/

GRU
February 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Ch- Ch- Ch- Chia

Thanks, now I can't get that song out of my head! :angry:

:p

Coan-Teen
February 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
When I was younger and at my most introspective I was "the girl with the hair" for the longest time because I don't think anyone knew my name.

Fizz
February 3rd, 2011, 01:26 PM
Oh, I am called several things at work: Rapunzel, Pocahontas, Heidi, Hiawatha and 'the girl with the hair'.

PiroskaCicu
February 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
I can't wait for the day I might be called Rapunzel or Pocahontas .... hehe.

:pray: grow hair grow

Anje
February 3rd, 2011, 02:28 PM
There's another person with my (quite uncommon!) first name in my lab right now. I've heard labmates refer to me as "the one with the hair."

looniac
February 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
I got "curly sue" which I really liked because I loved my long curly locks.

Naphthylamine
February 3rd, 2011, 03:18 PM
I am often referred to as "the girl with long blond hair".

MissCoco
February 3rd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Count me in as another Fluffy! I even got Fluff-ette! :p :D

SwordWomanRiona
February 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM

My Irish teacher told me I reminded her of Rapunzel, but Classic length hair is not long enough for that! :D

SwordWomanRiona
February 3rd, 2011, 03:35 PM
At university, I'm easily recognized because I think I'm the only one there with Classic-length hair :). And because there are three more girls with my name among my university friends, I'm 'the one with the long hair' :D.
And since I henna'ed, my mother likes to call me 'the one with the red hair' (it's not that red, though :().

MaKenna90
February 3rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Never had one for length, I have been called Ginger though. :)

Hylia
February 3rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
My nickname from my grandma is Rubia (meaning blond in spanish). Since i`ve been blonde most of my life she still calls me that sometimes. Other than that no one has never given me a hair nickname:P

irishlady
February 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Well when I have it in a simple plait/braid, I get called "spoon" because according to my dear brother it looks that way. When it's just loose, then I look like King Louis, or pretty much any man from the 17th or 18th centuries because I have wavy hair, I also apparently then look like a King Charles Spaniel, so I get called "king charles".
When I have my hair up in a bun, I apparently have a nut shaped head with a bun that looks like the horn of a vintage car.

How charming :p

marzipanthecat
February 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Way back in the mists of time, when I was at school, some friends nicknamed me "Volcano" because my hair apparently is like a river of lava flowing down...

(I rather like that!)

PiroskaCicu
February 3rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
Way back in the mists of time, when I was at school, some friends nicknamed me "Volcano" because my hair apparently is like a river of lava flowing down...

(I rather like that!)

That is awesome! It kind of reminds me of when I had my hair in a ponytail and a classmate said it looked like a waterfall flowing...

PeaceLoveHair
February 3rd, 2011, 07:49 PM
my younger sister's friends used to call me Pochahontas while admiring my hair. That was back when I was in HS.

Oz
February 3rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
I went on holliday with a deaf boy and his two signers.. the name they gave me was the hand sign for long hair :) back then I didnt apreicate it becuase I wanted to be known for mor than just my hair.... that was before I joind LHC and learnt how to apreciate what I have :)

Morticia is the only one ive had as I dressed up all gothic for halloween so got a more desireable member of the adams family :D

lileve2
February 3rd, 2011, 09:26 PM
the worse one? Medusa head. Grrrr!

redhead109
February 4th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Well, I have been called Strawberry Shortcake, Red, Long Haired Girl, Some very bad names, I mean very bad!!!!!
My hair was a bright red/orange when I was a baby until I was 4-5, then it turned red/gold/copper, but now it is turning really, really red again. because through my first few years of "The Change", my hair got darker, now the top of my head is copper, and the bottom and middle sections are all red/orange. In the house my hair looks copper/red, outside it looks Red. Go Readheds!!!!! And go every other color out there!!!!!

Siava
February 4th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I used to dye my hair with Manic Panic years ago and have stopped, but people at work still call me Kool-Aid.

twolunarspring
February 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I get called 'Rapunzel' by randoms from time to time... I also used to get called 'Cousin It' a lot at school :shrug:

One nice nickname I had for a while in my last years at school was 'Waterfall Girl' because some people thought my hair cascaded like a waterfall... I liked that one! I get called a mermaid often, which I really identify with these days. My husband sometimes calls me his "Pre-raphaelite Goddess" :)

twolunarspring
February 4th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Oh, and I forgot that I get called 'heidi' or 'Princess Leia' when I do braided updos... I do sometimes do one which makes me look like Heidi, but I've never done one which looks like Princess Leia :confused:

MrsGuther
February 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I used to have fiery red hair, and my brother in law called me "Big Red." Side note- I am about 6 feet tall, so you can see where the "big" in "big red" came from. :)

MrsGuther
February 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Ohhhh I almost forgot some other hair nicknames people have called me before: "Heidi" when I wear double braids, or "Pippi Longstocking."
And of course there is the classic "Blondie."

honeyblonde
February 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM
My supervisor said that he saw me at the movies last night!! I told him that I didn't go anywhere last night!!!

He said, oh yes.. you did! You were in the movie Rapunzel...lol!

No, he wasn't hitting on me, he swings the OTHER way....haha!!

PiroskaCicu
February 4th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Well, I have been called Strawberry Shortcake, Red, Long Haired Girl....

In highschool they called me Strawberry Shortcake too! You'd never believe who started it....my teacher :mad: he was really annoying. He's the same teacher who said I needed to cut my hair because i looked like a hippy! Then, when I cut it and dyed he teased me by calling me Strawberry Shortcake. I'm really short, so... it kind of stuck. My DBF still jokes and calls me that sometimes!!! :P

QMacrocarpa
February 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Back when my husband wore a beard but no mustache (now he has both), we were at the grocery store, and a little girl pointed at him and said "Look! It's George Washington!" and her slightly bigger sister said "No, silly, it's Abraham Lincoln!" :laugh:

bluesnowflake
February 4th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'm "the one with the hair", which kind of makes me laugh because doesn't everyone have hair? I've also gotten Rapunzel and people saying I looked like Audrey Hepburn because I wear my hair up a lot and I was wearing sunglasses :P

irisheyes
February 5th, 2011, 12:27 AM
My kids used to call me Toxic Waste because I wore so much mousse and hairspray.

rose.grace
February 5th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Wildchild. For many years. My hair is crazy; completely untamable, has a mind of it's own and industrial strength willpower.

apfelblumen
February 5th, 2011, 09:40 AM
'rapunzel' is probably the most common one for me. i had ankle length hair as a kid and then cut it off to a pixie when i was a freshman. now that i'm growing it out again, the nickname has started to come back into circulation. i don't feel worthy of it quite yet, seeing as my hair is only BSL. perhaps all the blonde instigates the nickname?

Alcenaia
February 7th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I get Rapunzel on a moderately regular basis. Makes me blush.

"The girl with the really long hair" is tossed around sometimes, when new people need to recognize my appearance.

milagro
February 8th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Some people called me various names for "curly" or "red" (when I had a brief foray into henna coloring) but it never sticked.