PDA

View Full Version : Poofy, wavy hair...

gman4354
February 2nd, 2011, 04:31 PM
Okay, I am a guy and I needed some advice on hair and stuff so I figured there's no better place to get that advice than from women because the majority of them have long hair and will naturally come to learn a lot about it.

I'm trying to grow my hair out like John Rzeznik who's the lead singer/guitarist for a the band The Goo Goo Dolls. Specifically how he has it in this picture:

http://xc3.xanga.com/496b716747500250627838/z608384.jpg

I may even grow it out a little bit longer than his but it wouldn't be by a large amount. Now, I have lightly wavy, sometimes even mildly wavy hair, and after it dries it tends to poof out on me and become more voluminous than I would like it too. My question is, when it has grown out to the desired length will my hair have less volume and less wave to it due to the weight of the hair? Also, while I'm here in this "awkward stage" of growing my hair out is there anyway for me to tame this extra volume that I don't want so I can at lease have some class while growing it out?

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Not necessarily. My hair gets even more volume and poofiness all the way to about armpit length, then it lays a little better.

One thing I am sure you will need for a look similar to this is styling wax or styling putty, maybe pomade. It gives that piecey look and helps the hair to lay down rather than poof out. Depending on how wavy your hair is, you might even need a small flat iron.

UltraBella
February 2nd, 2011, 05:15 PM
I think his hair is highly texturized and the cut and texturizing makes it lay much nicer than it would otherwise. Have you considered having a stylist texturized your hair so you don't lose any length but you lose the bulky look ? You will probably find that the longer it gets the more poofy it seems unless you have someone shape it for you. Good luck with your growing !

born_confused90
February 2nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
i definitely agree with the advice to use some styling wax as it gives you a lot of control with the texture! Also i think as your hair grows out it might lose some of the volume up top but it's also likely to get more wavy the longer it grows.

julliams
February 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Ditto on UltraBella's advice. Not many people wake up with hair the guy in that photo - it takes a great cut a lots of work.

One piece of advice that I can give you is to go with your hair, not against it. If you try to make it something that it's not, it will be alot of work. If you have "frizzy hair" chances are that you are putting your hands in it as it is drying alot???? I have wavy hair, but as you can see in my avatar, it only curls right at the ends. You may need some more length for your curls/waves to define more.

For now, try this - shampoo and condition your hair as normal. Use a leave in or styling gel/cream - whatever you like. Run it through with your hand and then just leave it until it is totally dry. See if perhaps you have some more defined waves there that will clump together and sit better if they are not disturbed whilst they dry.

And then the trick is to leave it alone once it's dry too. The more you have your hands in it, the more those clumps of waves will break up and "poof" out.

Hope this helps.

gman4354
February 2nd, 2011, 06:07 PM
Thank you for all the helpful responses so far! :D

I will definitely have to get some styling putty, that way I have what I need when I do get the length I want!

I have thought about going to get my hair shaped/styled and thinned/texturized but I've been really hesitant of going and actually getting it done for fear of them cutting a ton more hair off than I want thus making the process if growing my hair out even longer! Even though my hair grows really fast, I don't want to wait any longer because I don't have the most patience in the world! Haha! So, would it be possible for me to get it a little past the length I want then have them shape/style and thin/texturize it so that way if they cut off more than I asked it won't be as big as a deal?

julliams
February 2nd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Are you able to post photos? There are hairstylists here at LHC that might be able to give you more help if they can see exactly what your hair looks like.

jaine
February 2nd, 2011, 06:18 PM
Hi and welcome!!

My hair is a lot less poofy if I comb my favorite hard-hold gel (http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/item--Scalp-Rescue-Sculpting-Gel--MGASCU.html) through it when it's wet, let it air-dry hard, and then comb it again once it's dry. This basically just gets all hairs on the same "wavelength" so I don't have super-wavy hairs right next to kind-of-wavy hairs and curly hairs ... I think it's the difference in wave patterns that causes so much poof on my head.

When my hair was the length in that picture the drying process didn't take too long ... maybe an hour? But it lasts several days for me if I don't wet my hair.

I think it's a good idea to grow a little past the length you want so the stylist has something to work with when you get it cut!

gman4354
February 2nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
Are you able to post photos? There are hairstylists here at LHC that might be able to give you more help if they can see exactly what your hair looks like.

Yes, I can certainly post pictures!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i20/gman4354/Photoon2011-02-02at19242.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i20/gman4354/Photoon2011-02-02at19235.jpg

Not the best pictures of me, but we all have those times. Haha!

Hi and welcome!!

My hair is a lot less poofy if I comb my favorite hard-hold gel (http://www.maxgreenalchemy.com/item--Scalp-Rescue-Sculpting-Gel--MGASCU.html) through it when it's wet, let it air-dry hard, and then comb it again once it's dry. This basically just gets all hairs on the same "wavelength" so I don't have super-wavy hairs right next to kind-of-wavy hairs and curly hairs ... I think it's the difference in wave patterns that causes so much poof on my head.

When my hair was the length in that picture the drying process didn't take too long ... maybe an hour? But it lasts several days for me if I don't wet my hair.

I think it's a good idea to grow a little past the length you want so the stylist has something to work with when you get it cut!

Thank you! I was wondering weather or not I should wait for my hair to grow long to get it shaped and styled and I couldn't find that answer on Google or anything. So, thank you very much for answering that! :D

jaine
February 2nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
Yay for pictures! Your hair looks good. That is an awesome hair color! (if I do say so myself ... it's the same hair color as me!) :)

Your hair texture looks really similar to mine. I think the hard hold gel method I mentioned would definitely smooth it out and make it less puffy ... I do that all the time. The only downside is the drying time and the fact that it looks like exactly what it is while it dries: wet hair that has been slicked down with gel. Drying time vs. poof is my main frustration with my own hair and usually I end up going for less poof and more drying time.

If you are planning to keep your hair at or above shoulder then a flat iron could work as a faster option. I wouldn't normally recommend it because it is damaging, but if you keep your hair at or above shoulder then the damage would get cut off and your hair would never be more than a year or so old.

julliams
February 2nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
I'm glad you posted pics because I think you could do the style you are wanting. It will only take a month or two for you to get the length you need. I think it's going to be the cut here that does it for you. Talk to some friends who have had good experiences in salons and see if you can get a recommendation for a good place to go.

Take your picture with you and if they don't sit down with you and talk about what you are wanting, look at your hair and give you an idea of what it's going to cost BEFORE they start - walk out!

julliams
February 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Oh, and I don't think I would describe your hair as "poofy". I was imagining a totally different type of hair.

gman4354
February 2nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
Yay for pictures! Your hair looks good. That is an awesome hair color! (if I do say so myself ... it's the same hair color as me!) :)

Your hair texture looks really similar to mine. I think the hard hold gel method I mentioned would definitely smooth it out and make it less puffy ... I do that all the time. The only downside is the drying time and the fact that it looks like exactly what it is while it dries: wet hair that has been slicked down with gel. Drying time vs. poof is my main frustration with my own hair and usually I end up going for less poof and more drying time.

If you are planning to keep your hair at or above shoulder then a flat iron could work as a faster option. I wouldn't normally recommend it because it is damaging, but if you keep your hair at or above shoulder then the damage would get cut off and your hair would never be more than a year or so old.

Why thank you very much, I too like my brown hair! :D
I would say my hair texture is slightly coarse, but it's still soft to the touch.

I'm planning to keep the sides about relative to the bottom of my chin where my neck starts, my bangs right about my lip / below my nose, and the back of the hair a little past my shoulders.

But I may try the styling gel, although I will have to try the styling wax also because I kinda would want something than won't make my hair hard and crispy for lack of a better term.

gman4354
February 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Oh, and I don't think I would describe your hair as "poofy". I was imagining a totally different type of hair.

I'm glad you posted pics because I think you could do the style you are wanting. It will only take a month or two for you to get the length you need. I think it's going to be the cut here that does it for you. Talk to some friends who have had good experiences in salons and see if you can get a recommendation for a good place to go.

Take your picture with you and if they don't sit down with you and talk about what you are wanting, look at your hair and give you an idea of what it's going to cost BEFORE they start - walk out!

Thank you, it's good to get some reassurance that I'll be able to pull this off! Haha! (:
I will be sure to start asking around about some good salons. The place I went when I kept my hair shorter is good but it's a barber, not a salon. So I don't think they would be able to do it, or am I wrong?

Also, thank you for the salon advice- I want to avoid a haircut disaster at all costs!

jaine
February 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
Why thank you very much, I too like my brown hair! :D
I would say my hair texture is slightly coarse, but it's still soft to the touch.

I'm planning to keep the sides about relative to the bottom of my chin where my neck starts, my bangs right about my lip / below my nose, and the back of the hair a little past my shoulders.

But I may try the styling gel, although I will have to try the styling wax also because I kinda would want something than won't make my hair hard and crispy for lack of a better term.

It is true the crunchy feeling while it dries can be very annoying. My only consolation is that it's only crunchy while it's drying and then it's soft again when I comb it out ... then it stays soft and smooth for a few days.

The end result looks like this on my hair (when my hair was shorter anyway)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/5411682707_cef581e6b6_m.jpg

gman4354
February 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
It is true the crunchy feeling while it dries can be very annoying. My only consolation is that it's only crunchy while it's drying and then it's soft again when I comb it out ... then it stays soft and smooth for a few days.

The end result looks like this on my hair (when my hair was shorter anyway)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/5411682707_cef581e6b6_m.jpg

Well, as long as it doesn't remain crunchy throughout the day it would be fine with me! I will have to go out and buy some styling gel and try some styling wax too just to compare the two!

You're hair looks really nice by the way! :D

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Yes - let it grow for about 4 more months, then you should be able to get the look you want. Maybe even a little less time if your hair grows fast.

It's good hair; you are blessed.

gman4354
February 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Yes - let it grow for about 4 more months, then you should be able to get the look you want. Maybe even a little less time if your hair grows fast.

It's good hair; you are blessed.

My hair grows quite fast, about 1 inch per month.

Thank you! (:

BrightEyes7
February 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
I think you could even go to the salon now and get it shaped. Take your picture and let them know you are trying to grow it out. They should be able to shape it without taking off a lot of length.

And yes you need to go to a salon, not a barber.

You got some awesome hair Gman and welcome to LHC!!

gman4354
February 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I think you could even go to the salon now and get it shaped. Take your picture and let them know you are trying to grow it out. They should be able to shape it without taking off a lot of length.

And yes you need to go to a salon, not a barber.

You got some awesome hair Gman and welcome to LHC!!

I will probably take the safe route and wait for my hair to reach the desired length before getting it shaped.

And thank you very much! (:

UltraBella
February 2nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
My suggestion would be to find a stylist you are comfortable with and start the shaping process now. A good stylist will be able to help you transition into the style you want. You hair is very thick and it will be easier to ease into the style you want then doing it all at once. In my opinion, that is how you risk losing too much during one cut.

gman4354
February 3rd, 2011, 02:12 PM
My suggestion would be to find a stylist you are comfortable with and start the shaping process now. A good stylist will be able to help you transition into the style you want. You hair is very thick and it will be easier to ease into the style you want then doing it all at once. In my opinion, that is how you risk losing too much during one cut.

If I grew it out past the length I actually want though I wouldn't lose too much actual length because they would be cutting off the extra length. That's just what I feel safest doing. Although in some cases I could see where your opinion would apply; like if you have a lot of split ends that were left unattended during the growing process, etc.

I do appreciate everyones advice and opinions on this and I will take them all into consideration and see what will and what does work best for me! (:

spidermom
February 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
With one inch per month of growth, you'll be able to get that cut 1-2 months from now. Start asking around for a hair stylist now. You might want to visit a few convenient salons and have a consultation with someone. Also just sit and observe. I've learned a lot about who I did not want touching my hair by sitting there pretending to flip through style books while I watched the stylists. There are some who send every customer out the door looking just about the same as every other customer, like they only know how to do one cut. You don't want somebody like that unless it's the cut you're looking for.

julliams
February 3rd, 2011, 02:40 PM
I took my 9 year old son yesterday to a great stylist. He has this "emo" thing going which seems to have evolved naturally and looks really great on him. His hair is very thick and totally straight and because it grows so fast, he seems to need a haircut about every 2 -3 weeks.

Anyway, noone has "gotten" his hairstyle right and sometimes he comes home looking like he has a ladies cut gone wrong. In two weeks it seems to evolve back into the style that we like.

This girl seemed to know what she was doing and said it was going to take two haircuts to get the style right. So I can see the value in what UltraBella is advising.

And she told me the style my son has is known as "the Bieber" - lol!!!

gman4354
February 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
With one inch per month of growth, you'll be able to get that cut 1-2 months from now. Start asking around for a hair stylist now. You might want to visit a few convenient salons and have a consultation with someone. Also just sit and observe. I've learned a lot about who I did not want touching my hair by sitting there pretending to flip through style books while I watched the stylists. There are some who send every customer out the door looking just about the same as every other customer, like they only know how to do one cut. You don't want somebody like that unless it's the cut you're looking for.

That's probably some of the best advice I've heard/found about salons. I will start asking around definitely because I'm only familiar with one salon around where I live. I'm sure there are more I just haven't found them.

I took my 9 year old son yesterday to a great stylist. He has this "emo" thing going which seems to have evolved naturally and looks really great on him. His hair is very thick and totally straight and because it grows so fast, he seems to need a haircut about every 2 -3 weeks.

Anyway, noone has "gotten" his hairstyle right and sometimes he comes home looking like he has a ladies cut gone wrong. In two weeks it seems to evolve back into the style that we like.

This girl seemed to know what she was doing and said it was going to take two haircuts to get the style right. So I can see the value in what UltraBella is advising.

And she told me the style my son has is known as "the Bieber" - lol!!!

Haha! The Bieber, eh? I hope he grows out of "The Bieber" as soon as possible, that would stink (at least if I were him).