PDA

View Full Version : Scissors - need advice

LoversLullaby
February 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
My mom used my hair cutting scissors to cut off some yarn. I have a split end that I need to REALLY cut off but I have no scissors. Are the scissors still useable? I have a knife sharpener and I can use that if needed. I just really don't want to buy brand née scissors, I'm super short on money. :( I will if absolutely needed, but if they are salvagable I'll still use them!

ETA: I cut the ends of a shed hair and played with the end, it showed no signs of wanting to split from this. Also they still feel perfectly sharp, just like before.

krissykins
February 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
Is it possible to go to a craft store and get them sharpened?

LoversLullaby
February 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Is it possible to go to a craft store and get them sharpened?

No, especially not with this weather. I'm also not sure if they'd charge for that. =/

krissykins
February 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
No, especially not with this weather. I'm also not sure if they'd charge for that. =/

Oh dear, I wouldn't risk it if there is bad weather. I know some craft stores will do it for free, while others charge, so it was just a thought :shrug:

If they still feel pretty sharp, I'd just go ahead and use them.

Juneii
February 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
I think it's the continual use of hair scissors that dulls the blade. One or two times won't ruin the pair. I use old paper cutting scissors when I find splits - there is a spot on the blades that don't usually come into contact with anything I cut. I didn't notice a greater increase in split ends after using it...

LoversLullaby
February 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys, I figured they'd be fine since they're still so sharp, but I was no way near sure. :)

BunnyBee
February 2nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
I don't think one improper use will significantly dull your scissors. If you cut the split, what's the worst that can happen? It splits again!

If/When you get new scissors, keep them in a little pouch and hide them!

excentricat
February 2nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
One cut of yarn is not going to ruin your scissors. As mentioned, it is continual use. Out of curiosity, do you know what kind of yarn she cut? Wool, alpaca, angora etc. is technically still hair, just from an animal. Maybe you can use that to help convince yourself its fine too. (Not that I'm advocating using your hair scissors and your yarn scissors interchangeably, just trying to make you feel better.)

Dragon
February 2nd, 2011, 05:05 PM
I don’t think it will matter since it‘s only happened onece. I read some where once that’s it’s the best way to test if your hair scissors are sharp enough by cutting some yarn.

PiroskaCicu
February 2nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
I've heard you can sharpen scissors by cutting through aluminum foil. I found these instructions.

1. Tear off a six inch piece of aluminum foil and fold.
2.Fold over (as if you were making a paper fan) the piece of foil several times until the foil is thick.
3. Cut along the longest edge of the foil with the scissors that need to be sharpened. Cut several times through the thick foil. If you need to have the tip of the scissors sharpened, snip the foil with the tip of the scissors. Test on a piece of felt or thread. Repeat if necessary.

Read more: How to Sharpen Scissors with Aluminum Foil | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5297369_sharpen-scissors-aluminum-foil.html#ixzz1CqkUVLYa

Panth
February 3rd, 2011, 04:48 AM
I guess you've got your answer already, but just to let you know yarn shouldn't hurt your hair scissors, especially as (if said above) the yarn was made of some natural animal fibre.

When doing sewing, one of the first/best pieces of advice is to get some good quality scissors and only use them on fabric. What blunts scissors quickest and worst is cutting paper and cardboard (and, also, plastics, particularly overly thick plastics). Fabric and yarn is pretty similar to hair and won't blunt the scissors any where near as quickly as paper. One cut on yarn is certainly not going to cause much damage. ^_^

Juanita
February 3rd, 2011, 05:18 AM
A friend of mine used to put a padlock on her dressmaking scissors to stop her husband and sons from using them improperly. Drastic but it worked