PDA

View Full Version : Wow, I finally have "my hair" back! Huge overnight change. Photos too-

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
I just need to share, I am overly happy right now! :cheese: My hair has not felt like "hair" for...years pretty much. Ever since I started abusing it. It has felt crunchy, dead, and frizzed out. My chemically treated hair would dry in seperate clumps of dry waves and I could not brush my hair after washing it, because it would turn into a huge ball of frizz. I have been so discouraged with how crunchy my hair has felt and looked lately that I have been wearing it up every single day. I have been washing it with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and conditioner for a few months, and clarifying occasionally with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo.

Last night I picked up Joico Kpak Chelating Shampoo from Ulta (after seeing a post on here raving about it), and I bought Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner since I am extremely worn out on the smell of Aubrey Organics. I shampooed my hair twice with the chelating shampoo, and conditioned with Giovanni. I am amazed at how well this worked! My hair now looks like my virgin hair again which is loose, silky waves..rather then crunchy piecey waves. I have not seen this since I was like 12 years old! My hair is so shiny now too. I'm amazed. I think all my hair needed was a good chelating shampoo, I didn't realize that my hair probably was dealing with build up from our hard water on top of damage. I can now brush out my hair the day after washing and have my loose waves back..not a big ball of frizz! Yay! This makes growing out hair dye so much easier.

Here's some pictures: They are both taken the day after washing.

Before;
http://i56.tinypic.com/wbp27s.png

After! Just took this photo like an hour ago:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2lw12tw.png

I am going to use this chelating shampoo probably twice a month to remove hard water build up & whatever else was built up on my hair. With my recent shedding I have been so discouraged, but this really made me happy until I can see a doctor about the shedding. :)

Thanks for reading and for replies in advance!

NouvelleNymphe2
February 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
you have stunning hair! thanks for sharing this product. i might have to try some when i get back to the other side of the pond. :)

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
you have stunning hair! thanks for sharing this product. i might have to try some when i get back to the other side of the pond. :)

Thank you so much! :) I most definitely suggest trying it out. I was completely giving up on my hair, and just throwing it in a messy bun every single day. But now I am so excited to wear it down!

Avital88
February 2nd, 2011, 02:10 PM
Wow, what a difference! I sometimes have the same, that at day 2 i cant brush it anymore, or i can but it just sticks together, it really is build up what causes this,luckily you realised this too before cutting it or anything!
Your hair looks so shiny and great!Good luck with the shedding.

Muse
February 2nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Your hair looks really healthy and silky. :flower:

Your hair structure looks quite similar to mine. I should also try a chelating shampoo.

RitaPG
February 2nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
You have really pretty hair :)
I have to ask though, what is a chelating shampoo? I never heard of it before. Is it the same as a clarifying shampoo?

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
Wow, what a difference! I sometimes have the same, that at day 2 i cant brush it anymore, or i can but it just sticks together, it really is build up what causes this,luckily you realised this too before cutting it or anything!
Your hair looks so shiny and great!Good luck with the shedding.
Thanks so much! Yeah I didn't realize that build up could really cause that big of a change. Suave Clarifying shampoo just wasn't doing it for me, and after looking at the ingredients..I think theres a silicone in it? Who knows, but I didn't realize that chelating shampoo is what you need to remove the minerals from hard water!

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm glad you found something that works so well. Your hair looks beautiful!

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Your hair looks really healthy and silky. :flower:

Your hair structure looks quite similar to mine. I should also try a chelating shampoo.
Thank you! :) I think it's a great investment!

You have really pretty hair :)
I have to ask though, what is a chelating shampoo? I never heard of it before. Is it the same as a clarifying shampoo?
Chelating shampoo is similar to clarifying shampoo, but it actually goes into the hair shaft and removes minerals from hard water (which clarifying shampoo will not do). I was afraid of it drying out my hair, but it cleansed it without drying it out like clarifying shampoo does.
Here's an article: http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/10/clarifying-chelating-and-neutralizing-shampoos/

Shermie Girl
February 2nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
I am so glad that you found something that works so well for you. Your hair looks wonderful. :D

HintOfMint
February 2nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
The difference really is stunning! It's funny, I've heard very little about using a chelating shampoo, but this seems like it was really necessary.

Rocket22
February 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Wow Your hair is looks great! Night and day difference!

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thank you all SO much for the nice compliments! :blossom:

The difference really is stunning! It's funny, I've heard very little about using a chelating shampoo, but this seems like it was really necessary.
Same here! I've only heard about it once in my life (on here), and decided to give it a go. So glad I did, it's now a necessity for me. Most definitely. :)

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
Can you explain the chelating shampoo ?? Is it different from clarifying?

your pictures show an incredible difference !! wow !!

Rocket22
February 2nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
I read that thread too! I'm wondering does it pretty much do same as any clarifying shampoo and more? I need to get some shampoo I haven't been clairfying at all :(

Sylvanas
February 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
Oh my, what a difference! I don't think your hair looked bad in the before picture, but it looks a lot softer and much more shiny now :)

dawnandxavier
February 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM
which shampoo are you using and how often? Do you still have curls? The pics almost look like you've lost your curl.

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
which shampoo are you using and how often? Do you still have curls? The pics almost look like you've lost your curl.
The Joico Chelating Shampoo is what did the change, and I only used it once. My damaged hair is actually wavier then my virgin hair growing in. My damaged hair just get very crunchy, dry, and wavy when in reality my hair consists of loose, brushed out waves. If I don't brush my hair it is wavier, but I brushed out my waves which I havent been able to do in years :)

I read that thread too! I'm wondering does it pretty much do same as any clarifying shampoo and more? I need to get some shampoo I haven't been clairfying at all :(

Can you explain the chelating shampoo ?? Is it different from clarifying?

your pictures show an incredible difference !! wow !!

^ For everyone asking about the chelating shampoo, it is different then clarifying. Clarifying shampoo removes build up from the outside of the hair shaft, while chelating shampoo actually works into the hair shaft to remove chlorine and mineral buildup, and also product buildup that clarifying shampoo cannot get rid of alone.

Oh my, what a difference! I don't think your hair looked bad in the before picture, but it looks a lot softer and much more shiny now :)

Aw thank you..its was pretty bad in reality though! :D

Giggy2
February 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
I agree! The Joico Chelating shampoo is wonderful and leaves your hair feeling amazing. Just make sure to condition real good after and only use the chelating shampoo once per month or less if you don't use much styling products.

Whenever my hair starts getting knotty and wont cooperate, I use the Joice chelating and get wonderful results.

:-)

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
I agree! The Joico Chelating shampoo is wonderful and leaves your hair feeling amazing. Just make sure to condition real good after and only use the chelating shampoo once per month or less if you don't use much styling products.

Whenever my hair starts getting knotty and wont cooperate, I use the Joice chelating and get wonderful results.

:-)
I'm glad to hear that you have also had great results with the chelating shampoo! :) It's now a complete go-to product for me, I will never be without this stuff lol. And I definitely agree, I will be using it once a month or twice if I need it.

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
Is this shampoo easy to find ??

Very interesting info !

lapushka
February 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM
Your hair looks very shiny! :thumbsup:

Chelating shampoo is similar to clarifying shampoo, but it actually goes into the hair shaft and removes minerals from hard water (which clarifying shampoo will not do). I was afraid of it drying out my hair, but it cleansed it without drying it out like clarifying shampoo does.
Here's an article: http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/10/clarifying-chelating-and-neutralizing-shampoos/

Thanks for the link. Apparently chelating means that the shampoo, any shampoo, has to contain a specific ingredient. Very useful information. :)

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Your hair looks very shiny! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link. Apparently chelating means that the shampoo, any shampoo, has to contain a specific ingredient. Very useful information. :)
Thanks, and you're welcome! :) Yes its very interesting, I've never heard of chelating shampoo until recently.

Is this shampoo easy to find ??

Very interesting info !
I went to multiple beauty supply stores in the mall and none of them had it! One place carried it, but they were out of stock and were receiving it again in about 3 weeks. So I went to Ulta, and they had quite a few bottles of it :)

RavennaNight
February 2nd, 2011, 03:28 PM
Hmmm... Rosiex3 you're in NY too... I wonder if the water is hard and I just don't even know it? I will keept that product in mind in case I get crazy buildup. I'm playing with shampoo bars now, but in a month who knows...

scorpio_rising
February 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
WHOA. :bigeyes:
Thank you so much for sharing this and posting pictures.
Your hair is GORGEOUS.

My hair looks a lot like yours in the before picture. It used to be lush and beautiful like in your after picture. OMG, what if a chelating shampoo is all I really need? I haven't used shampoo in ages (though my hair turned into a frizzball long before I stopped using it) and I hate to start using products again but I would come unglued if I could have my shiny, luscious hair back again! :cheese:

I'm stopping at Ulta tomorrow. :D

jesis
February 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
I didn't like Aubrey Organics. I used their conditioner for about 2 weeks and it did absolutely nothing for my hair except make it frizzy, dry, dull, and I would get tons of tangles.

I'm glad you found something that you love now! :)

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hmmm... Rosiex3 you're in NY too... I wonder if the water is hard and I just don't even know it? I will keept that product in mind in case I get crazy buildup. I'm playing with shampoo bars now, but in a month who knows...
Hm, very possibly! Our water is awful..it even turns out white shower all orange (which of course we clean so it doesn't stay organy lol); I'd say give it a go!

Your hair is GORGEOUS.

My hair looks a lot like yours in the before picture. It used to be lush and beautiful like in your after picture. OMG, what if a chelating shampoo is all I really need? I haven't used shampoo in ages (though my hair turned into a frizzball long before I stopped using it) and I hate to start using products again but I would come unglued if I could have my shiny, luscious hair back again! :cheese:

Thank you so much! :) I bet a chelating shampoo will help greatly, let me know your results! I hope all goes well!

I didn't like Aubrey Organics. I used their conditioner for about 2 weeks and it did absolutely nothing for my hair except make it frizzy, dry, dull, and I would get tons of tangles.

I'm glad you found something that you love now! :)
Yeah I agree. Initially I was happy with my results from Aubrey Organics (I think my hair just looked better since I was switching from chemicals to organic hair care), but in the long run it was no good. Plus the smell is just too "earthy" for me. And I didn't want to have to continue ordering it online. So I stopped by Target and got Giovanni. Although its not as organic as Aubrey Organics, the conditioner so far worked great and it smells amazing! Thank you!

Rabya-Khadija
February 2nd, 2011, 04:27 PM
Looks beautiful, I'm glad you're happy with it... I would be too!

dernhelm
February 2nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Your hair is GORGEOUS.

+1

My hair looks like her before pic, too.

To OP, your hair looks amazing! What a difference!

Cirafly24
February 2nd, 2011, 05:25 PM
You're hair looks lovely! I'm glad you found something that worked so well!

Anywhere
February 2nd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Very beautiful, although I quite liked the before as well, the after looks so much fuller! :)

Mesmerise
February 2nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Wow! Lovely hair. Maybe that's what I need? Do you think a chelating shampoo could also be used in place of a clarifying shampoo??

I just googled the Joico K-pak and found a store selling it online in Australia...so I might take the plunge and buy some. It's very expensive, but only used once a month it shouldn't work out too bad.

rosieex3
February 2nd, 2011, 09:30 PM
Wow! Lovely hair. Maybe that's what I need? Do you think a chelating shampoo could also be used in place of a clarifying shampoo??

I just googled the Joico K-pak and found a store selling it online in Australia...so I might take the plunge and buy some. It's very expensive, but only used once a month it shouldn't work out too bad.

Thank you for the replies everyone! :) Absolutely you can, I know I am making this my "clarifying" shampoo.

sugarpixie10988
February 2nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Wow, massive difference! Your hair looks super pretty, glad you found something that works so well.

HintOfMint
February 3rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
I noticed in your profile that you live in New York and you said that you have hard water where you live. I thought New York has extremely soft water, unless that only refers to NYC and not other parts like upstate, Westchester, or Long Island. I recently moved to NY but not NYC and I've been wondering about water hardness.

rosieex3
February 3rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Wow, massive difference! Your hair looks super pretty, glad you found something that works so well.
Thank you! :)

I noticed in your profile that you live in New York and you said that you have hard water where you live. I thought New York has extremely soft water, unless that only refers to NYC and not other parts like upstate, Westchester, or Long Island. I recently moved to NY but not NYC and I've been wondering about water hardness.
I think my town specifically deals with the most awful water ever. It's not even the slightest bit drinkable (you'd probably spit it out if you tried to drink it lol) and it's just very nasty. When I go a town over to visit my bestfriend, her water is completely fine. So I think it just depends on the town. I live in the suburbs of the city.

xoxophelia
February 3rd, 2011, 12:22 PM
4th year chem major here to explain chelation in non-chemistry terms. Basically you can imagine a chemical compound that has "claws" to surround the mineral atom so that this one molecule can surround and bind to it multiple times, form a chelate complex, and then the mineral can be carried away "enclosed" in the molecule.

A common chelate used in hair products and for standard titrations etc is EDTA. I highly doubt they are removing minerals from inside the hair shaft but they will remove mineral build up that can form a thin and stubborn film over time.

I'm happy you found something that really helped your hair. Would there also be any way for you to get a filter for your shower to soften your water a bit?

going gray
February 3rd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Thank you for your post, I've got the same hair texture. I too need help with it! Your hair looks is amazing, it's lovely

heatherovka
February 3rd, 2011, 01:18 PM
I'm glad you found something that worked so well!

Does anyone know if VO5 kiwi lime clarifying shampoo also chelates? It does contain disodium EDTA.

haikitteh
February 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
What a remarkable transformation! Thanks for posting - I'm going to check out that shampoo.

Maddy25
February 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM
Very soft and pretty looking ;)

scorpio_rising
February 3rd, 2011, 08:06 PM
I totally nabbed some of this shampoo from Ulta today. I'll be washing tomorrow. I'm psyched!

Maddy_T
February 3rd, 2011, 08:12 PM
:O!! That's such beautiful hair! completely jealous. Reveal if you learn anything about the shedding, I'm having a bit of a problem too!. :)

monsterna
February 3rd, 2011, 08:12 PM
I didn't get the Joico shampoo (I think it would be protein overkill for my hair), I was looking for the Giovanni conditioner and they were completely out of the smooth and silky ones! So I just bought the 50/50 shampoo since I'm pretty happy with my Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner anyway. Just washed with it, and it was very nice. A mild clarifying shampoo with no sulfates and mostly organic ingredients. Didn't smell like alcohol or weird. I'm happy with it so far. I also got a sample of their leave-in moisture treatment which didn't seem to have really bad ingredients.

You look super happy in your picture, and so does your hair! Very cute photo!

Red_Wednesday
February 3rd, 2011, 08:41 PM
Your hair looks super healthy! I just might have to try that shampoo:).

ole gray mare
February 3rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Yay! Your hair looks gorgeous. I have some of that shampoo and it really does the trick of cleaning out the build-up, doesn't it?

MrsGuther
February 3rd, 2011, 10:15 PM
I just need to share, I am overly happy right now! :cheese: My hair has not felt like "hair" for...years pretty much. Ever since I started abusing it. It has felt crunchy, dead, and frizzed out. My chemically treated hair would dry in seperate clumps of dry waves and I could not brush my hair after washing it, because it would turn into a huge ball of frizz. I have been so discouraged with how crunchy my hair has felt and looked lately that I have been wearing it up every single day. I have been washing it with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose shampoo and conditioner for a few months, and clarifying occasionally with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo.

Last night I picked up Joico Kpak Chelating Shampoo from Ulta (after seeing a post on here raving about it), and I bought Giovanni Smooth as Silk shampoo and conditioner since I am extremely worn out on the smell of Aubrey Organics. I shampooed my hair twice with the chelating shampoo, and conditioned with Giovanni. I am amazed at how well this worked! My hair now looks like my virgin hair again which is loose, silky waves..rather then crunchy piecey waves. I have not seen this since I was like 12 years old! My hair is so shiny now too. I'm amazed. I think all my hair needed was a good chelating shampoo, I didn't realize that my hair probably was dealing with build up from our hard water on top of damage. I can now brush out my hair the day after washing and have my loose waves back..not a big ball of frizz! Yay! This makes growing out hair dye so much easier.

Here's some pictures: They are both taken the day after washing.

Before;
http://i56.tinypic.com/wbp27s.png

After! Just took this photo like an hour ago:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2lw12tw.png

I am going to use this chelating shampoo probably twice a month to remove hard water build up & whatever else was built up on my hair. With my recent shedding I have been so discouraged, but this really made me happy until I can see a doctor about the shedding. :)

Thanks for reading and for replies in advance!

Your hair is beautiful! I like it in both of the pictures you posted! I do see a difference in the "after" picture though. That Joico Kpak Chelating Shampoo sounds mighty enticing. I might just have to see about getting some for myself! :cheese:

Mesmerise
February 3rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'm glad you found something that worked so well!

Does anyone know if VO5 kiwi lime clarifying shampoo also chelates? It does contain disodium EDTA.

Yes, with the EDTA I would say it does. (I did chemistry a zillion years ago so I vaguely remember EDTA and its chelation ability). Not sure what % EDTA there is in both shampoos though.

Debra83
February 3rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
I checked out one of the hair salons in town today on the way to my 2nd job. It has it there for 16.00 dollars. Next pay, I'll try it also! (we have hard water too).

rosieex3
February 3rd, 2011, 11:18 PM
I totally nabbed some of this shampoo from Ulta today. I'll be washing tomorrow. I'm psyched!
Let me know your results! :)

:O!! That's such beautiful hair! completely jealous. Reveal if you learn anything about the shedding, I'm having a bit of a problem too!. :)
Aw thank you so much! I am going to be checked out for hypothyroidism. I am almost certain that is what is contributing to the shedding, since I have A LOT of the symptoms of it. Good luck!

4th year chem major here to explain chelation in non-chemistry terms. Basically you can imagine a chemical compound that has "claws" to surround the mineral atom so that this one molecule can surround and bind to it multiple times, form a chelate complex, and then the mineral can be carried away "enclosed" in the molecule.

A common chelate used in hair products and for standard titrations etc is EDTA. I highly doubt they are removing minerals from inside the hair shaft but they will remove mineral build up that can form a thin and stubborn film over time.

I'm happy you found something that really helped your hair. Would there also be any way for you to get a filter for your shower to soften your water a bit?
Thank you for explaining :) I actually believe we do have a filter, I'm going to check with my parents and see. If not, I will surely buy one!

& Thank you so much everyone for all of the nice replies on this topic!

rosieex3
February 3rd, 2011, 11:19 PM
I didn't get the Joico shampoo (I think it would be protein overkill for my hair), I was looking for the Giovanni conditioner and they were completely out of the smooth and silky ones! So I just bought the 50/50 shampoo since I'm pretty happy with my Pantene Beautiful Lengths conditioner anyway. Just washed with it, and it was very nice. A mild clarifying shampoo with no sulfates and mostly organic ingredients. Didn't smell like alcohol or weird. I'm happy with it so far. I also got a sample of their leave-in moisture treatment which didn't seem to have really bad ingredients.

You look super happy in your picture, and so does your hair! Very cute photo!
I'm happy Giovanni is working out for you! I think the conditioner is amazing, and it doesn't have silicones so yay :) and thanks so much! I am super happy!

Delila
February 4th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I've recently used the Joico Chelating shampoo too. I wasn't sure what might be going on with my hair, but I thought maybe I had buildup issues of some sort that simple clarifying couldn't handle.

I'm quite impressed with the results, and will definitely be using it on a regular rotation from now on. (I'm thinking the water in my area is just funky)

Here's a link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15746) to an older thread that I found helpful.

scorpio_rising
February 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM
OK, I washed with it! I also oiled a bit first with coconut oil, though I only left it on a few minutes before shampooing it out with the Joico shampoo and then shampooing it again. Then I put a little Desert Essence Organics Coconut conditioner on it and rinsed that. Then I poured a half a bottle of flat beer on it and rinsed that lightly, too. :laugh: Oh, me. I am usually WO (though I oil and occasionally use an ACV rinse on it and sometimes herbs and whatnot) so I figured as long as I was going to use something on it I should just go for it.

I just got out of the shower but I can tell you that right now, still wet, it feels really... light. My bangs are dry already and they seem more... Well, they're more like a solid sheet of bangs, where usually they will hang together in clumps. They're also kinda flipping up at the ends which they never do! Usually they just kind of lay there, all lifeless.
I don't anticipate it drying to reveal a gorgeous head of hair like yours :) but I think it's definitely helped.

I love how enthused I am to come back here and report before my hair's even dry. :o I enjoy being a hair geek - and I'm in good company! :p

I'll update when it's actually dry. :laugh:

rosieex3
February 4th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I've recently used the Joico Chelating shampoo too. I wasn't sure what might be going on with my hair, but I thought maybe I had buildup issues of some sort that simple clarifying couldn't handle.

I'm quite impressed with the results, and will definitely be using it on a regular rotation from now on. (I'm thinking the water in my area is just funky)

Here's a link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15746) to an older thread that I found helpful.
Thank you for posting the link, and glad the chelating shampoo has worked for you as well :)

OK, I washed with it! I also oiled a bit first with coconut oil, though I only left it on a few minutes before shampooing it out with the Joico shampoo and then shampooing it again. Then I put a little Desert Essence Organics Coconut conditioner on it and rinsed that. Then I poured a half a bottle of flat beer on it and rinsed that lightly, too. :laugh: Oh, me. I am usually WO (though I oil and occasionally use an ACV rinse on it and sometimes herbs and whatnot) so I figured as long as I was going to use something on it I should just go for it.

I just got out of the shower but I can tell you that right now, still wet, it feels really... light. My bangs are dry already and they seem more... Well, they're more like a solid sheet of bangs, where usually they will hang together in clumps. They're also kinda flipping up at the ends which they never do! Usually they just kind of lay there, all lifeless.
I don't anticipate it drying to reveal a gorgeous head of hair like yours :) but I think it's definitely helped.

I love how enthused I am to come back here and report before my hair's even dry. :o I enjoy being a hair geek - and I'm in good company! :p

I'll update when it's actually dry. :laugh:
Very nice! :D I'm excited to hear your results!

Fethenwen
February 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Ok, this got me really interested in this kind of shampoo. It might be what my hair needs right now. Seems like I can at least find this over the internet.

Edit: Has anyone tried the Aveda Shampure Shampoo? It seems kinda neat.

Delila
February 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM
... Edit: Has anyone tried the Aveda Shampure Shampoo? It seems kinda neat.

I've tried it (years ago) but found it way too much for me. Then again, I never did much like any of the Aveda shampoos I tried, so maybe it's just me. :)

ETA: Here's a link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194) to Gladtobemom's new article on buildup, it's the same as in the link above, but it's in the Articles section.

Silverdragn7385
February 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Oh wow, I'm definitely going to have to try this!! I have very hard water here at my house...

Fethenwen
February 5th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Ok, I went and bought a deep cleansing shampoo :D

Yep, I can definitely feel the difference. It's from Goldwell, Dual Senses Scalp regulator deep cleansing shampoo. It took forever for me too choose one, this one seemed quite alright and is conefree.

I tried it just now, my ends doesn't tangle and I have loads of shine. My hair feels naturally much thinner without the build up, but rather that than having hair that is tangly and oily looking no matter what I did with it.
I might use this once a month from now.

dawnandxavier
February 5th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Where do I find Joico Chelating Shampoo

rosieex3
February 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Ok, I went and bought a deep cleansing shampoo :D

Yep, I can definitely feel the difference. It's from Goldwell, Dual Senses Scalp regulator deep cleansing shampoo. It took forever for me too choose one, this one seemed quite alright and is conefree.

I tried it just now, my ends doesn't tangle and I have loads of shine. My hair feels naturally much thinner without the build up, but rather that than having hair that is tangly and oily looking no matter what I did with it.
I might use this once a month from now.
Yay! I'm so glad using that shampoo worked out for you :)

Where do I find Joico Chelating Shampoo
The only place I could find it was at Ulta, every other beauty supply store I checked either didn't have it or they were out of stock.

Fethenwen
February 5th, 2011, 03:55 PM
^ Yes I think this shampoo was also what you could call chelating because it contains Disodium EDTA. And gladly I did not have any problems with itchy scalp, I was afraid it could cause that because most commercial shampoos does that to me. And it did not contain any silicones. I can't understand why many of the clarifying shampoos that I saw had silicone in them :confused:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/10/clarifying-chelating-and-neutralizing-shampoos/

"What it is:
A chelating agent can chemically bind with minerals and keep them from depositing on your hair. At least that’s the theoretical basis for this kind of formula. We’ve never seen it demonstrated in practice. This type of product has most application to areas of the country where there is hard water. Soft water already has the minerals removed.

What to look for:
Look for products with the ingredient EDTA."

Delila
February 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I've seen the Joico Chelating at Ulta and in the Wal-Mart based salons in my area. I haven't been to any other salons, so I don't know about availability elsewhere.

scorpio_rising
February 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM
OK, so it's been a couple of days and I can safely report that my hair looks gorgeous. :laugh:

As Fethenwen mentioned, it feels a lot thinner. Also the texture is definitely different - my waves are much looser. Between those two factors, it actually seems like I have a good deal less hair! However, I know I didn't actually shed more than a few hairs in the process of washing - and it's sooooo shiny like it hasn't been in a very long while, and so soft, and the color is noticeably brighter!
I am very happy to keep a bottle of this around for if my hair should get to acting crazy again.

Thanks so much for posting, rosieex3. :)

insomniac-uk
February 6th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Wow your hair looks amazing :) I need to try this my hair is so frizzy lately, I live in a hard water area hopefully this will help.

Debra83
February 7th, 2011, 12:37 AM
I want to try this and plan to pick up a bottle on Wednesday (payday)...already went into the hair salon and asked the price...but now I'm beginning to wonder if it will have any effect on the henna I'm putting into my hair? Any ideas?

Fethenwen
February 7th, 2011, 03:19 AM
^ I don't think so. I think it might even make the hair more receivable to henna.

My henna coloured hair got more striking from using clarifying shampoo, I guess it's because it removed build up which made my hair more dull looking.

I guess if you use this sort of shampoo after you have just hennaed it might remove some of the henna.

Mesmerise
February 10th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I ordered some of this the other day, and it arrived today! So, tomorrow I'm going to use it before I do my regular oil shampoo to see if it improves my hair!

Oh, although I hope my hair doesn't feel much thinner... cause it's already too thin after some massive shedding... Well, I'll see how it goes anyway!

Debra83
February 10th, 2011, 03:55 PM
bump......I'm getting mine tonight and trying it after work. I'm curious to see if it I notice any difference. Our water is definitely hard, but I've been using GF3N conditioner for months, and oil/shampoo for a couple of weeks - I can't imagine my hair feeling much better than it does! Wondering what will happen....if anything does I'll post a pic/explanation!

Debra83
February 10th, 2011, 05:03 PM
er....uhhh.....I have no idea why I thought I had to "bump" this thread....probably not enough chocolate in my diet.......

Debra83
February 11th, 2011, 12:37 AM
This is what I typed in another thread of mine tonight:

So, I bought the chelating shampoo tonight. It cost me a whopping 18.00 and some change CAD. It had BETTER have miracles in the bottle for that price. I bought it at a salon here 2 doors down from my 2nd job. This link takes you to a pic of the product as well as a review by someone from 2009. Quotes what they say on the bottle. Haven't seen another "chelating" shampoo that talks about minerals and chlorine and product build up anywhere in town, just clarifying shampoos for product build up. http://littlegoldenlamb.net/2009/02/...ating-shampoo/

What I did: washed with the chelating shampoo, washed with coconut oil/2-in-one GF3N, then conditioned with GF3N conditioner.

My hair had so much slip, and silkiness in rinsing it as never before. Not even the first time I used the GF3N. I'm letting it air dry now, and can't wait to see how it feels/looks/acts after it dries. I'll try and snap a pic if I can, it's getting late now, and I have to work early tomorrow as well as all day (13 hour work day for me tomorrow).

Wish me luck!!!!

Debra83
February 11th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Okay, so here's while it is still drying - way straighter than normal.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=95883

princess03
February 19th, 2011, 11:01 AM
pretty pictures! Thanks can't wait to buy this prodcut!:cheese:

paper
February 28th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I have hard water, so I thought I'd try this. I'm so glad I did!!! My hair has never felt this great. Clean, soft and light. Thanks for the info! :)

curlymarcia
February 28th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Wow, now it looks so shiny. But, in my opion, your hair before was also pretty with those waves.

aenflex
February 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Nice. Makes me want to chelate~

Roscata
February 28th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I totally ordered some chelating shampoo because of this post. I'm curios to see how my hair would look after. :D

jayde9
March 7th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I too used that same product about 2 weeks ago and it was amazing. I have well water with lots of iron and did not realize it was contributing to all my bad hair days. This stuff is a miracle. I plan on using once a month, I also switched to distilled water.

HeatherG
March 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM
For the shedding you could try a product called hair rescue, it's sold at sally's here's the link:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-breakage/SBS-124808,default,pd.html?cm_vc=CROSSSELL
This really saved my hair when it was falling out by the handfuls, everytime i brushed my hair, more and more would fall out, this product saved my life, and I highly recommend it. For an everyday shampoo and conditioner I would advise John Freida's damage control, this brought my hair back to life after it was so damaged that when it was wet it felt like a wet blob and when dry it felt like hay. This product made my hair feel like hair again and I will swear by it!

KittyLost
March 7th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I love joico! They have saved my hair many a time

LadyJennifer
March 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Wow! that's a huge difference! Your hair is quite lovely:)

ETA, does anyone think it would do anything for hair that is washed with filtered shower water for almost a year (and before that soft-ish city water for a few years)?

leslissocool
March 7th, 2011, 04:49 PM
WOW what a difference! Your hair looks great!

firicia
March 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Personally, I used the same product about a month ago to get rid of a bad run with Tressume Shampoo and Conditioner. It made a huge difference along with the k-pak reconstruct.

I wish I would have tried it before the hairdresser took off 3" of hair due to the wax build up from Tressume. But, live and learn, and the wanting to learn part has brought me here :D

perizade
March 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Y'all are lovely.

Quixotica
March 7th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Thank you so much! :) I most definitely suggest trying it out. I was completely giving up on my hair, and just throwing it in a messy bun every single day. But now I am so excited to wear it down!

Do you think this shampoo would strip chemical hair color?

Quixotica
March 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Picked up some chelating shampoo by Quantum (from Sally's) and my hair hasn't felt or looked this good in AGES. Thanks for this post!