PDA

View Full Version : The Singe / Burning Method Against Split Ends

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
I though this post might be more interesting to start a specific thread on this method of hair care. We could share knowledge, findings and experiences about it, and if some adventurous people would like to try and report back to us, that would be fantastic. :D

Here is my own summary of my intensive readings on the subject

You know how people first reacted about Wo and So, well, this method received the exact same kind of "no way" attitude on a French natural long-hair forum I sometimes visit.

The interesting thing, is that like the Wo and the So threads here, this is now a HUGE thread, with more and more people trying it (even the most sceptics, apprently). I haven't, and I don't plan to, but the results seem quite good from the last dozen of pages of discussion !

This is what I understood of the rationale behind the burning method and it's advantages :

It's ridiculous, hair is HIGHLY flammable !

You are right, but when twisted correctly (no air), the fire actually dies right away (in less than a second), only burning / melting the ends (meaning "cauterizing") of the few hair sticking out

Hair is dammaged by heat !

Right too. But this method actually doesn't "cook" or "heat" the hair shaft at all, as the fire melts end of hair and then in micro-seconds dies off. Think of passing your finger quickly in a candle fire : you don't really feel the heat, because it's so fast.

Why risk playing with fire when you can use regular cissors to trimm ?

The difference, from what I understood from long-time & long-hair users of this method on the board, is that the hair TIP is "melted" (the fire doesn't even need to touch it for this to happen), which is a form of cauterization. From their tests, split ends do not reappear on those cauterized ends, which means a lot less need for trimming over time.

Freshly cut ends exposes the cortex, and this leads (as you know, over time) to some protein loss and eventual damage / splits (the reason why we often "freshen" the ends with a trimm or dusting). And the same reason why we trimm with a right angle instead of in a diagonal (wanting to expose less cortex)

The advantage reported for "melting" the hair tips is that this fragility of the ends doesn't happen : the end becomes strongger (imagine a kind of scar instead of an open wound) and splits take a much longer time to reappear.

Another advantage often said is that it's used to minimise damage occuring higher than the hemline and that are harder to trimm because everywhere (this lets them, these shorter hair, be able to join the others without getting splits until they reach the hemline)

What are the downfalls ?

- the smell
- it's scary at first
- must reseach well before attempting, to do it correctly !
- never try on hair that has been oiled !
- must be followed with a shampoo to get the little burn parts out and the smell
- and followed with a deep conditionner
- it will cauterize (= reduce lenght) all hair sticking out, not only the ones already split (which is a good or bad thing, depending on what side you look at it)

Like I said, I never tried myself.

But I always get curious when a method starts with posts saying "this method is a SCANDAL!" ... but the thread makes hundred of pages, and at the end, people say they tried, will try, loved it, will never trimm and will keep using this method, share experiences (and they have amazing hair pictures to show no destruction occured over the years). I am still very curious about it !

embee
February 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'm watching this thread. I never really read about this method anywhere that I recall, though it sounds familiar. Being (currently) a SO person, it would not work well for me as there's no washing with SO. But I'd love to see what others have experienced.

Muse
February 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I also remember now that I wasn’t allowed to wash my hair the days before the singeing.

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 02:08 PM
((edit : see post #31 for another video - more accurate - that was made by people from a hair care forum))

A visual of the method : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vly4_video-brulage-longue_news

(it DOES look very scary, I warn you !)

Some people argue on the forum that the hair should not be "fingered back" like the woman does in the video, because this leads to hair being burned that really didn't need to.

Others say a small lighter is less scary and more precisely controled than a candle with a big flame (even though a lighter does heat up and you might need to make pauses for your fingers !)

Still imperfect, the video shows how the hair doesn't blow up in flames (even with this huge candle) ;)

Note that all the little black burnt parts do go away with washing / combing the hair !

Madora
February 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Mr. Michael states in his book that "singeing is extremely devastating to the hair cells and in addition, it's literally impossible to guarantee that you will only treat the particular split end. Realistically, this controlled burning always involves the innocent neighbor next to it which is beautifully healthy". (pg. 119 George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair, 1982, Doubleday).

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
Mr. Michael states in his book that "singeing is extremely devastating to the hair cells and in addition, it's literally impossible to guarantee that you will only treat the particular split end. Realistically, this controlled burning always involves the innocent neighbor next to it which is beautifully healthy". (pg. 119 George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair, 1982, Doubleday).

I agree completely with the second part, of course healthy shorter hair will be reduced in lenght with the damaged ones.

As for the first part, I know this is what some autors / hair salons / beauty compagnies say, but the experiences I have read about, it really make me doubt this is really "true".
This as been (and is still) a "beauty" method for long healthy "smooth" hair in many parts of the world (Africa, Asia, Europe (http://www.hairfinder.com/hair3/hair-singeing.htm))...

There is mixed opinions about if it's good or bad for hair. This is why I get so curious :D

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 04:16 PM
I could see touching the split ends with a flame but not undamaged hairs, some of which will be new hairs that have never been trimmed.

And yes Cailie - the video was scarey indeed.

I'm not interested in NW/SO either.

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Maybe I could test a strand of my front hair (slowly growing out my long bangs) - burning the end only and not up the shaft - and then compare the growing of the strand that is burnt to the rest of my bangs ...

if it's a dissaster and I get more splits on the small strand, I trimm the ends and no worries ...

enfys
February 2nd, 2011, 04:24 PM
That seems to be burning a few inches off the ends of hairs, most of which would be healthy, tapered ends (in my case at least).

Having now seen it I can certainly say that's not for me.

jesis
February 2nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Omg. :agape:

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Omg. :agape:

I agree !! It was totally my first reaction too :lol:

That seems to be burning a few inches off the ends of hairs, most of which would be healthy, tapered ends (in my case at least).

Yes, I guess that's why some people cauterize ONLY the very ends (instead of trimming)

Rabya-Khadija
February 2nd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Oh lol, that looks terrifying.. I'd imagine that my whole head was going to go up in flames.

julliams
February 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Is this to achieve a layered look? Honestly I thought that was terrifying myself. And I never got to see a before and after pic.

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Is this to achieve a layered look? Honestly I thought that was terrifying myself. And I never got to see a before and after pic.

No, as I explained in my first message, instead of cutting the end of hair (ex. trimming), the hair end is "melted" which cauterizes the hair end and prevents splits from comming back because the cortex is not exposed anymore (or so they say and experienced on a French forum I sometimes go read)

some do only the tips, instead of trimming. Others the last centimeters of hair, other like in the videos, etc.

Kat Girl
February 2nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
That looks crazy! I'd really like to see some before and after photos and stories on this.

lpsqt60
February 2nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
It's too bad there was no before and after shot because to me it looked like the poor girl ended up with little melted black balls of hair all over her head that look as though it would be painful to comb through not to mention very unstylish.

kwaniesiam
February 2nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
No, no, NO. A THOUSAND times no. This method was once taught in beauty school many years ago, my instructor told us stories about singeing. It has since been outlawed by nearly every state board in the country, it does not benefit the hair in any way. The best thing to deal with a split end is a pair of very sharp scissors.

The ends of the hair do not actually cauterize, the keratin in the hair does not melt together like when you would cauterize skin. It's a different structure of protein. Your hair is closer in structure to your finger and toenails. Think about what happens when you burn your nail :shudder:

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
Found this (makes me love my scissors)!! :lol:

Source : http://www2.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/jan2004/research/2004_01_research01b.htm

Figure A. Photomicrograph of Scissor-Cut Hair

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296691825.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296691825.jpg/1.html)

Figure B. Photomicrograph of Razor-Cut Hair

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296691836.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296691836.jpg/1.html)

Figure C. Photomicrograph of Broken Hair

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296692636.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296692636.jpg/1.html)

Figure D. Photomicrograph of Burned Hair

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296691861.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296691861.jpg/1.html)

IF this method does works, the only thing I can see would be because of the following:

http://www.dayza.com/Users-Photos/1296692252.jpg (http://www.dayza.com/file/Users-Photos/1296692252.jpg/1.html)

Arya
February 2nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
It might be a good S&D alternative...but making a mistake would be pretty costly.

monsterna
February 2nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
I don't get it. It seems they are confusing split ends with just pieces of hair that are a shorter length than the length of the hair/layer. Like others have said, it seems very damaging and it damages healthy hair that's right beside a possible split. S&D and dusting seems to be a much better choice, in my opinion. I don't understand why she is forcing the hair up the shaft so it sticks out... those aren't splits (in general), they are hairs of varying lengths. I have a gajillion (scientific!) on my head.

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
It's too bad there was no before and after shot because to me it looked like the poor girl ended up with little melted black balls of hair all over her head that look as though it would be painful to comb through not to mention very unstylish.

This I know for a fact that they are washed out with shampoo (all the back parts)

kwaniesiam, I kind of agree with you ! But this doesn't explain why so many long haired people fell in love with this method. That's what I find so mysterious ! :lol:
(one thing to add : one reason it was banned in beauty salons here (not in Europe) is also because of the discusting smell)

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
I don't get it. It seems they are confusing split ends with just pieces of hair that are a shorter length than the length of the hair/layer. Like others have said, it seems very damaging and it damages healthy hair that's right beside a possible split. S&D and dusting seems to be a much better choice, in my opinion. I don't understand how her pulling the hair up the shaft so it sticks out... those aren't splits (in general), they are hairs of varying lengths. I have a gajillion (scientific!) on my head.

As I said, the video is to give you an idea, but I know the specific method she uses is highly debated on forums (I couldn't find a better video, unfortunately).

julliams
February 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
No, as I explained in my first message, instead of cutting the end of hair (ex. trimming), the hair end is "melted" which cauterizes the hair end and prevents splits from comming back because the cortex is not exposed anymore (or so they say and experienced on a French forum I sometimes go read)

some do only the tips, instead of trimming. Others the last centimeters of hair, other like in the videos, etc.

I do understand that, but why go all up and down the length like that? I've heard people say that you twist sections and all the "split ends" protrude. Well, when I twist a section, it's my layered or shorter hair that sticks out and 99% of those are not split.

In that particular video she is moving the candle all the way along which would result in some hairs at the top of the twisty section becoming very very short. That's what I understand layering to be.

julliams
February 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
I should add that I am equally as interested in the topic and think this is a great thread.

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
I do understand that, but why go all up and down the length like that? I've heard people say that you twist sections and all the "split ends" protrude. Well, when I twist a section, it's my layered or shorter hair that sticks out and 99% of those are not split.

In that particular video she is moving the candle all the way along which would result in some hairs at the top of the twisty section becoming very very short. That's what I understand layering to be.

I agree and I think the people on the forum I have read would agree with you too : too many healthy hair burned the way she does it in the video.

some pinch the ends (1 cm maximum) between their fingers and only burn that, without toutching the lenghts at all.

julliams
February 2nd, 2011, 05:48 PM
I agree and I think the people on the forum I have read would agree with you too : too many healthy hair burned the way she does it in the video.

some pinch the ends (1 cm maximum) between their fingers and only burn that, without toutching the lenghts at all.

Yes, that I can understand. I posted a video on that method on the other thread. It was a gentleman's hair that was being singed in the way your describe.

I've been looking around online and I really can't see any before and after videos. I'm sure it's a valuable method and one which would date to cave people times I imagine. I had always wondered how hair was cut before cutting tools actually came about. This method would very likely have been used.

LoversLullaby
February 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
The video totally scared me. I wouldn't trust anyone doing that to my hair, no matter how good it would be for my hair. There are just so many potential things that could go wrong!

jaine
February 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
I think it's interesting enough to justify an experiment - any volunteers?

Strand test: scissor-cut hair and singed hair; see which one splits first.

Both strands should be exposed to the same amount of damage over time - on the same head, on the same part of the head, equal exposure to the elements, equal exposure to styling methods, either both virgin or both equally colored.

Mesmerise
February 2nd, 2011, 06:35 PM
Wow! That video was like OMG... I don't see why she did the entire length of the hair either?! I would not imagine too many splits up so high... BUT that being said, I'm very curious about singeing... at least for the ends.

I am fairly certain that if people use the method AND love it... it must provide some benefits that cutting alone doesn't. Otherwise, why wouldn't you just cut?

As for hairdressers saying how bad it is... welll... they may be "experts" but they're only experts at what they're taught. Even the best hairdresser only has the education they're given, even if what they're taught isn't always "right".

For example, I have a friend who is a hairdresser, she even used to teach classes in it and is considered to be an excellent stylist. I told her I'd hennaed my hair and she went on about how terrible henna is for your hair and how I couldn't use another dye over it now cause I'd totally wreck it etc. etc. (even though I'd dyed over henna before with no problems), she was going on about metallic salts of course too ;) SOOOO... I now know it's her education about henna that's wrong... great hairdresser or not! She believes that chemical dyes are better for hair...

So, yeah... I don't care if someone from a salon or whatever tells you it's terrible... because odds are that's just what they've been taught and they haven't seen the results first hand.

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 06:36 PM
I can't copy pictures from the other forum as it is private, but one girl on that forum has a blog about her hair care and she is a convinced about this method (sorry the blog is in French). She explains her method for doing it helself (she is also growing hair and a henna user).

She mentions that her burnt hair has now a little "bump" at the end (the melted "cauterized" keratin) that prevents further splits from happening. Which you can see on the pictures if you click.

She says, also, that is it very very important to do lots of moisterizing treatments afterwards, and not to do it too often because it can be drying. She see's it as an alternative to S & D ("chasse aux fourches") and trimming.

Here you go (you can click on pictures for a bigger view)

http://jardinamayan.blogspot.com/search/label/Anti-fourches

Her hair progress here : http://jardinamayan.blogspot.com/search/label/Mes%20cheveux

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
Another video, from one girl on the same forum (on her sister, who had a lot of splits on her lenght) : http://www.youtube.com/user/Marillusion#p/a/u/2/po7gpJYIGRs

The fire doesn't really touch the hair, it's passed under it.

This is the reported result after washing, moisturizing and drying :

hair lenght is much softer
you can feel the little bumps at the end of the hair, but they are very small and not noticible if you are not looking for them
hair texture is the same (waves)
no damage at all

LisaButz2001
February 2nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
I thought this was disproven as puesdo-science/ an old wives' tale with no discernable benefit. Haven't there been other threads or mentions of this before?

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
I thought this was disproven as puesdo-science/ an old wives' tale with no discernable benefit. Haven't there been other threads or mentions of this before?

it hasn't really been discussed all that much here, from what I found.
The reason I am intrigued is because it is having a suprising success among people who pamper their hair and try to have the best natural hair care rituals, that used to trimm (like us, with sharp cissors, etc.), but are switching to this method instead, very convinced of this being effective and "better", somehow to grow long healthy hair.

(which got me very curious, but not brave enough (or convinced enough) to try myself :D)

So I though I would share with the LHC crowd :eyebrows:

fairy_ends_girl
February 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
caili, thanx for sharing that video. btw, what is that song in the background in that video? I love it!

Anlbe
February 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I think it's interesting enough to justify an experiment - any volunteers?

Strand test: scissor-cut hair and singed hair; see which one splits first.

Both strands should be exposed to the same amount of damage over time - on the same head, on the same part of the head, equal exposure to the elements, equal exposure to styling methods, either both virgin or both equally colored.

:waving:
me, I do this, works for my hair I get far fewer split ends than when I go to the hairdresser, and I go to a GM salon and so S&D.

sedonia
February 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM

Eep! Hair cells??!! I tend to agree with this, though it should be pointed out that hair is not made of cells. He should have said it is "extremely devastating to the hair structural proteins" or something like that.

I also don't buy that hair proteins melt. If you have nylon or polyester threads growing out of your head, those would melt. Hair doesn't melt, and since it is not living cells or tissue, doesn't heal itself, doesn't bleed and doesn't get infected, it can't be "cauterized" in any medical sense.

Panth
February 4th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Eep! Hair cells??!! I tend to agree with this, though it should be pointed out that hair is not made of cells. He should have said it is "extremely devastating to the hair structural proteins" or something like that.

I also don't buy that hair proteins melt. If you have nylon or polyester threads growing out of your head, those would melt. Hair doesn't melt, and since it is not living cells or tissue, doesn't heal itself, doesn't bleed and doesn't get infected, it can't be "cauterized" in any medical sense.

Sorry to be pedantic, but hair is made up of cells. But, in the process of making the hair, the cells that form the actual hair (as opposed to the hair follicle which support it) undergo a programmed death that involves fusing themselves to their neighbours. By the time the hair leaves the follicle, it is impossible to see that the hair was originally made up of distinct cells and it appears to be a solid structure (at least using a light microscope).

This is quite a good image of a hair follicle cross-sectioned length-wise which shows what I'm on about: http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/curriculum/VM8054/Labs/Lab15/IMAGES/DEEP%20HAIR%20FOLLICLE.jpg (http://education.vetmed.vt.edu/curriculum/VM8054/Labs/Lab15/IMAGES/DEEP%20HAIR%20FOLLICLE.jpg)

At the top of the image, you can see where the hair (well, the hair cortex) appears to be a solid mass: this is the yellow part of the image. The medulla of the hair (the spotty pink/purple bit between the two yellow bits) does not form a contiguous mass until higher up in the follicle: here it is still obviously made up of distinct cells (the dark purple dots are the nuclei of the cells).

If you follow the yellow sections down into the hair bulb, you can see that they too are made up of distinct cells, further down (see the nuclei). Within the hair bulb itself (the 'swollen' section at the base of the hair follicle) the cells have not yet even fully decided whether they are going to be hair or hair follicle and, if so, which section of the hair/hair follicle: hence, here they are all nicely distinct.

Thus ends your hair biology lesson for today. :P

ArienEllariel
October 6th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Oh my.... watched the first video in horror with my mouth hanging open. WHY would any sane person do that to their hair?

julierockhead
October 6th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Holy Cr*p - watched the video and frankly, I prefer having split ends.

gthlvrmx
October 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM
What's even worse, for me at least as a man and a long hair, i heard one of my friends friends singes his hair....in a different place on his body.

I think he's absolutely crazy and placing his chances of ever having his own babies in danger.

ArienEllariel
October 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM
What's even worse, for me at least as a man and a long hair, i heard one of my friends friends singes his hair....in a different place on his body.

I think he's absolutely crazy and placing his chances of ever having his own babies in danger.

:shocked:He's insane! Oh my gosh... I wouldn't want to burn myself there...

Teamouse
October 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I've heard burning/singeing is one of the oldest forst of removing body hair.

I don't like the twisty rubbing the hair backwards burning all up the length thing.

Maybe just towards the ends or just on the very ends.

I'm tempted to try this just once. On the very end. Of a small section of hair. Really carefully... I mean... what's the worst that could happen?

... Maybe... Maybe later....

Blackfire
October 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I would do it like an S and D.... but I think i would just take individual hairs and touch the very very tips into the flame. If I get around to it, I will give an update! I can see how its good but I can also see how its bad... kinda like a lot of things that just work for some and dont for others.

mora
October 7th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I'm tempted to try this just once. On the very end. Of a small section of hair. Really carefully... I mean... what's the worst that could happen?

... Maybe... Maybe later....

I would do it like an S and D.... but I think i would just take individual hairs and touch the very very tips into the flame. If I get around to it, I will give an update! I can see how its good but I can also see how its bad... kinda like a lot of things that just work for some and dont for others.

And here I thought I was the only one who was thinking about trying this...

MrsGuther
October 7th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Oh my gosh! Scary!!!

afu
May 10th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I apologise for resurrecting an old thread.

I'm very interested in historical haircare and have been distracted from my exam revision this morning reading through various blogs on the subject. I remember my great-grandmother telling me once when i was young (and had TBL hair) that i ought to have my ends singed so i thought id read more about it. She would have been born about 102 years ago (in England) and used to tell us about how she had to have it done when she was a little girl.

Did anyone ever try or experiment with this? I think i would actually be up for trying it out if i wasn't blonde. the first video looks scarey but this was a normal thing in the past for many people, and as we know, we can learn a lot from some of the older routines

PurpleAshes
May 10th, 2012, 07:48 AM
This sounds awfully interesting and I'm willing to try it with a few strands of hair :d

LadyHazel
May 10th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Sorry but I have no doubt in my mind as to why I would want to singe healthy inches off my hair for a few splits that can be removed by S&D, one mistake in that process and BAMB, YOUR HAIR IS BURNT. BADLY.

TheMechaGinger
May 10th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I know they always say "don't knock it till you try it" but this is one I'm just not going to be trying!

AnnaJamila
May 10th, 2012, 08:56 AM
That's really interesting but I don't know if I have the guts to do it! Lol, it's definately intense.

Velvet Smoke
May 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM
All I can think of is... doesn't it stink? :blueeek: The smell of burnt hair is awful!

truepeacenik
May 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM
This is a great use for combed out sheds- experiments.

Kamir0
May 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Sooo...

Has anyone tried this?
There were candidates earlier in this thread...

Anyone? :D

I have read the thread on the French forum, and this seems to be quite a popular method among the members there. I haven't tried it myself, but I have been getting quite a few split and broken ends lately, so I wonder... :hmm:

barely.there
May 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
not to mention how the hairdresser is back-combing the hair strands....

afu
May 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM
yeah if i tried it i wouldnt go off the first video posted. When my great-grandmother used to have it done it was just the ends

melusine963
May 10th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I think I'll stick with S&Ding. I'm scared to even watch the video after reading the comments.

dwell_in_safety
May 10th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I'll stick with keeping my hair up all the time and trimming off a bit every three months... lol

Anlbe
May 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hi,

Yes I do this. I've not looked at any videos on utube or anything. It was how my grandmother looked after her hair and my mother as well when hers was long, so it was just a natural thing for me to try. My mother does it for me about every six months or so. It's quick and easy, and works for me, although I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I keep meaning to do a video, next time at the very least I'll post some photos.

And yes, it does smell.....

Viscountess
May 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I remember my sister taking her long hair, sectioning it off and twisting then running her lighter up the length to singe off the bits sticking up.

It didn't work. Her hair looked liked a broomstick by the next week. Totally awful and it stunk.

heidi w.
May 10th, 2012, 04:06 PM

That's correct. Further, we have an updated method for singeing. Mr. Michael wrote about it in his book which I have a copy of. It's called dusting. Or microtrimming is how Mr. G.M. talks of it in his book, if I recall correctly. Here at LHC it's referred to as S&Ding. A whole lot safer!!

Imagine the news article, she was trimming her splits and caught on fire from the drapes becoming flammable. Le Ooops that you can't really undo, and is a very expensive hospital bill. Not a good idea. Don't do it.

I should add that my hair guru knew of this method, and how to do and was entirely against doing it for reasons of safety. I think he may have done it a few times on his mother back in the day. She apparently had incredibly beautiful hair. All the photos were destroyed in a house fire.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Hi,

Yes I do this. I've not looked at any videos on utube or anything. It was how my grandmother looked after her hair and my mother as well when hers was long, so it was just a natural thing for me to try. My mother does it for me about every six months or so. It's quick and easy, and works for me, although I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I keep meaning to do a video, next time at the very least I'll post some photos.

I'd watch that video. But I still would never try it. The way people think, you'd get some person who would not twist the hair tight enough and end up with inflamed hair, and not from color, either.

heidi w.

afu
May 10th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Hi,

Oh i look forward to seeing a possible video/pictures :) do the burnt bits not look really obvious on your blonde hair?

heidi w.
May 10th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Oh i look forward to seeing a possible video/pictures :) do the burnt bits not look really obvious on your blonde hair?

I believe they would fall off and not show at all.

But that's a smell that many people can't abide. I'm thinking of my adoptive father who lived through WWII, and saw people burn and shot and die from starvation. What a horrid memory to have to live with.

Imagine, going out for an ice cream and someone passes you and has a memory flash from the smell of the singed hair. That wouldn't be a fun day.

heidi w.

afu
May 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
To me the smell of burnt hair smells exactly like when the farrier shoes horses (for good reason, its practically the same material)

PurplePenguin
May 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
The video is absolutely scary. If I were ever to even think about doing this it would have to be someone I really trusted doing it and it would only be the very ends but I don't usually get too many split ends so as of right now, No Way.

jacqueline101
May 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I don't think I'm brave enough to try it.

Anlbe
May 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM

Straight after yes, the ends have tiny dark blobs on the end. But then I soak my hair in oil for an hour or more and then wash. After than all the ends are clear.

With regards to its comparison to a GM micro trim, I had those for six years and to be brutally honest the result was pretty comparable. Yes I sacrifice the tips of perfectly healthy ends rather than just the split ends, just like we all do when we trim our hair, but below shoulder length I don't have many healthy tips naturally. If don't remove the ends regularly - either by singing or with scissors - I end up with a mass of split ends. In contrast the the GM microtrim singing doesn't take two people over an hour, it takes ten to fifteen minutes. I still go to the London GM salon for a trim and treatments sometimes but I'm no longer tempted by the - very expensive - full on microtrim in the least.

berr
May 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I've done it off and on for over 35 years. It's not the freaky deal people think it is. It does STINK. I've NEVER lost INCHES of my hair. it only takes just the tip of the hair. I do much the same when I dust for splits. Wind up the hair and look for stray ends sticking out. A bic or the end of a cigarette or punk (you know, to light fireworks) take off the split quite nicely. I leave my hair damp if i'm going to use a bic.

ETA: It's nice to see the forum has matured. I posted a thread along these lines on the old LHC forum and got flamed like no other. That being said.. if you do it use great caution. It wouldn't be impossible to harm yourself.

Laylah
May 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'm never intentionally setting any part of myself on fire. My hair caught on fire before (accidentally of course) and it's nothing I want to do again intentionally.

ratgirldjh
May 10th, 2012, 07:20 PM
My neighbor does this - on wet hair.

She just takes a match and moves it around and gets the very ends. She doesn't bother twisting her hair.

She has very nice very thick very curly hair.

Phexlyn
May 11th, 2012, 02:44 AM
I'm a bit tempted by this method although it is very scary, but then I am too lazy for S&D. Plus it's frustrating as I really have a lot of split ends.

Could someone who does this please describe the whole process in detail? Doing it on damp hair sounds quite sensible. Do you do the whole length or just the very ends? Does washing get rid of the smell?

I'm also wondering about the little "blobs" - if those break off, doesn't that leave the hair open and vulnerable again?

Anlbe
May 11th, 2012, 03:48 AM
I'm a bit tempted by this method although it is very scary, but then I am too lazy for S&D. Plus it's frustrating as I really have a lot of split ends.

Could someone who does this please describe the whole process in detail? Doing it on damp hair sounds quite sensible. Do you do the whole length or just the very ends? Does washing get rid of the smell?

I'm also wondering about the little "blobs" - if those break off, doesn't that leave the hair open and vulnerable again?

Hi,

If you want to look in my blog I describe how I do this. No the little 'blobs' don't break off they just disintegrate away. In my experience the ends are no more fragile than after cutting with scissors - which is after all crushing the ends.

Phexlyn
May 11th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Hi,

If you want to look in my blog I describe how I do this. No the little 'blobs' don't break off they just disintegrate away. In my experience the ends are no more fragile than after cutting with scissors - which is after all crushing the ends.
Ah, thanks, I hadn't seen that. I'm going to read your entry right away :) I'm relieved that the blobs do not add fragility to the hair, that really would have kept me from trying this.

skraprchik
May 11th, 2012, 04:06 AM
This is how the hair is finished if you have extension braids added in a salon. It's usually done with a lighter to take off any hairs that stick out. I'm only willing to have it done then because it's the extension that is being burned, not my actual hair. When it's done there it works because the extensions are not human hair, they're synthetic. Synthetic hair melts rather than burns.

I think I'd be afraid to try this method on my own. I'm gonna stick to the scissors for now.

AmandaKoiter
May 14th, 2012, 11:44 PM
WHOLE - E -S**T!!! I may have nightmares tonight. I can't fathom ever doing this.... especially in the name of getting rid of a few split ends. Suddenly, split ends don't seem so bad.

heidi w.
May 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM
This method, in my opinion, falls under the category of safety concern. I could see this going very wrong, and then next week we have a yahoo.news video about it and the world thinking what an idiot this person is. And then that person crying and crying. Burning is not fun. It's expensive, a long healing process, and if you are burnt it never really goes back to normal. I can't believe LHC would allow this idea to be touted as a safe option. We have a safe option, here known as S&D, otherwise known as microtrimming or dusting. It's safe, doesn't involve fire, and you snip one split at a time.

Scissors do not crush the hair. IF they do, the scissors are bad. Really, really bad scissors. Throw those scissors away if they're crushing rather than slicing hair off. Good Lord, I can't imagine people doing this and taking their life into their hands, likely with no dousing agent nearby.

This is a very old school method, and in the end it was unpopular for a reason. It fell out of vogue the way horses fell out of vogue for transportation. We now have better options (or one can presume they do for the sake of argument in this thread). Better things, better choices came along.

Please don't do this.

heidi w.

Valfreyja
May 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I thoroughly agree with Heidi, this is just awful. Every instinct is screaming against this.

I think I saw a documentary on punk where a girl getting dreadlocks had this done to the locks. That was the early 80's though, so regulations were probably different then.

MonicaJean
May 15th, 2012, 12:54 PM
lol Can I just say that video horrified me? hahaha I couldn't even finish watching it. Not going to be trying THAT anytime soon... :run:

I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the reason for doing this. Is it supposed to be to burn the splits off instead of trimming them off, or is it just to cauterize ALL of the hair ends to prevent splitting? I am just trying to understand. My hair is wavy and ALL of the ends stick out when I twist, not only the splits. I think this is a difficult concept to grasp for many. Especially because it does look sooo scary.

afu
May 16th, 2012, 12:32 AM
MonicaJean I think the most commonly used method is just to singe the ends, that video seems very extreme compared to all the experiences ive heard about.

heidi.w i appreciate you have your opinion but i think its a bit harsh to tell people 'don't do this', if theres one thing LHC has taught me it's that everyone's hair reacts differently to different methods. There are safe ways to do this (another person doing the singeing, having dousing materials nearby etc) and while i cannot argue that s&d is lower risk, if singeing works for you i see no reason not to use it. LHC is surely largely about the introduction of ideas, every method described requires an amount of judgement by the user before use

Anlbe
May 16th, 2012, 03:28 AM
I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the reason for doing this. Is it supposed to be to burn the splits off instead of trimming them off, or is it just to cauterize ALL of the hair ends to prevent splitting? I am just trying to understand. My hair is wavy and ALL of the ends stick out when I twist, not only the splits. I think this is a difficult concept to grasp for many. Especially because it does look sooo scary.

It's both. I find that removing the tips of all my hair from about shoulder length down stops me getting split ends. There's no way to just fluff out the split ends and not the rest of the tips. The main point however is to get the split ends. I haven't looked at the video but when I do this it isn't scary looking - it stinks - but it's not scary. At least not to me.
I don't think this is something for everyone, or even most people. I've never encouraged anyone else to singe, I just wanted to share my hair care routine with the LHC. Once I singed one side and kept on with the S&D on the other. Singe seemed to work much better for me, and oh my so much quicker. After years of pampering my hair and going to the GM salon my hair actually gained in length - just an inch but that's a big deal for me.

Afu
Thank you for your support, very much appreciated.

Amethyste
May 16th, 2012, 04:18 AM
The salon I used to go in Montreal does this. It's no big deal really. of course, it has to be doneby someone who knows what they are doing.

When I owned my dog grooming business, I had a Komondor coming for her bath every 2months. They have dreads all over. and Yes I did this method to each dreads to have this beautiful finish look... she was the last dog of the day cause the smell is pretty intense lol. took me 3 hours to do the process!