PDA

View Full Version : Hair type help, pretty please!

mellie89
February 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Okay, so this is embarrassing, but I have been here for over 2.5 years, and I am still confused about my hairtype. My hair normally looks like my signature picture: straight with a tiny bit of wave. Hence, I thought I was about a 1b.

Lately, I've been experimenting with the oil shampoo method, and my hair has been acting distinctly... wavy. I haven't been using conditioner, since the oil is moisturizing enough. You are supposed to type your unconditioned, uncombed hair, correct? I never did, because I assumed it would not dry any differently. I let it dry without touching it yesterday, and it looked like this:

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af287/melanie891/IMG_6278-2-1.jpg?t=1296670911

So my question is, can conditioner weigh down waves? My hair is very fine, and I use heavy conditioners, if that makes a difference.

Also, if this is in fact my actual hairtype, what would you call it?

Final question: what can I do to encourage my hair to act more wavy? I have tried plopping before, but I can't remember if it worked or not. :o

Many thanks! :flower:

Anywhere
February 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Conditioner can weigh down hair if it's left in, not sure about if its rinsed off.

I'd say you're a 2a... but I'm no expert.

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
2A is my thought also.

Cybelle
February 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
Here is the system Found it on a page with links to important hair threads

FIRST CLASSIFIER - Your curliness (or lack thereof)

The straight ones
1a - stick straight
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones
2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones
3a - big, loose spiral curls
3b - bouncy ringlets
3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones
4a - tightly coiled S-curls
4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

SECOND CLASSIFIER - What (most of) your individual strands look like

F - Fine
Thin strands that sometimes are almost translucent when held up to the light. Shed strands can be hard to see even against a contrasting background. Similar to hair found on many people of Scandinavian descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Fine hair is difficult to feel or it feels like an ultra-fine strand of silk

M - Medium
Strands are neither fine nor coarse. Similar to hair found on many Caucasians.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Medium hair feels like a cotton thread. You can feel it, but it isn't stiff or rough. It is neither fine or coarse.

C - Coarse
Thick strands that where shed strands usually are easily identified against most backgrounds. Similar to hair found on many people of Asian or native American descent.

You can also try rolling a strand between your thumb and index finger. Coarse hair feels hard and wiry. As you roll it back and forth, you may actually hear it.

THIRD CLASSIFIER - Your overall volume of hair

Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

Hope this helped:cheese:

vanillabones
February 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
My hair is fine and no thickness and not pin straight but not wavy so I say I'm 1a/1b and you have twice as much hair as I do D:

Becky Safari
February 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
I would say you are a 1c/2a

Rocket22
February 2nd, 2011, 11:34 AM
I say 2a for sure

Anje
February 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
2a, maybe 2a/2b. You've got some fairly intense waves down toward the bottom which aren't typical of a 2a.

xoxophelia
February 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM
In your sig. pic I definitely think your hair looks more like a 1c than 1b also considering it is looks to be brushed. But with your picture you just posted, I would say 2a.

The layers may be what is making it look 2bish but I am pretty sure without them we would see a loose but definite 2a wave.

xoxophelia
February 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Tips to bring out the wave:
-use a lightweight conditioner if heavy ones pull the wave out for you. I personally like VO5 clarifying conditioner but others have their own preference.
-Do not touch your hair at all while it is drying
-for the sections that don't wave up as much, take little clumps on your slightly damp hair and coil them around two fingers, pin into place in a little bun, leave till dry.

I'm sure other people have better tips than me but that is what I have seen to help thus far. In one of the pictures in my album I got really great waves towards the ends and I got that by not touching my hair and coating it with a hair glaze rinse that was heavy in cones after poo/co.

jujube
February 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
2a/2b (2a at the top, and 2b at the bottom, if that makes sense).

lapushka
February 2nd, 2011, 11:58 AM
2a (was thinking 1c at first but it seems too wavy for that).

pepperminttea
February 2nd, 2011, 12:56 PM
2A/2B. It's a gorgeous mix. :)

Incidentally, did you use 'cones before trying oil shampoo? When I went 'cone-free my waves sort of came out of nowhere, I was a 1B/1C-ish before.

mellie89
February 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Thanks, everyone! I was thinking 2A as well, but I have thought of myself as a straighty for so so long that the concept of waves is confusing to me. ;)

xoxophelia, thank you so much for those tips! I'm definitely going to give those all a try.

2A/2B. It's a gorgeous mix. :)

Incidentally, did you use 'cones before trying oil shampoo? When I went 'cone-free my waves sort of came out of nowhere, I was a 1B/1C-ish before.

Yup, I love me some 'cones! :p When I use conditioners without 'cones, they are still pretty thick. I like the GVP Conditioning Balm, for example. I'm definitely going to switch to something lighter for awhile and see what happens.

I went 'cone-free for a good 6 months, and my hair was definitely more wavy. I attributed it to bleach damage, but now that the damaged hair is all trimmed away, I'm beginning to think that that is just what my hair looks like. :o

MissManda
February 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
It's 2a/2b for sure. :)