PDA

View Full Version : Really HATING My Hair

Wheatland
February 2nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
I am trying to grow out this pixie cut I got in November and after all the advice from LHC my hair actually grew 3/4 in. in the last 3 weeks, which I was really excited about... but the growth only emphasized the mullet I'm now sporting.

Headbands don't hide it. Wearing scarves on my head made my head itch. I can't wear hats to school.

I'm seriously just so down about it right now. I don't want to trim it because I feel like that just will negate all the growth I've achieved but I don't know what to do anymore.

Everyday I feel ugly because of my hair, and my whole mood is suffering.

:cry:

Do I tough it out and get through these next couple months of what's sure to be one of the ugliest hairstyles or do I go to a salon and ask them to shape it up?

Madora
February 2nd, 2011, 11:10 AM
Do what makes you happy. Hair always grows back, and in the meantime you can assist the growing process by treating it gently and hopefully staying away from harmful things like heated rollers and blow drying. Good luck!

Wheatland
February 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
Do what makes you happy. Hair always grows back, and in the meantime you can assist the growing process by treating it gently and hopefully staying away from harmful things like heated rollers and blow drying. Good luck!

What makes me happy is having long hair... But I'm thinking maybe I should having SOMETHING done to make me less depressed about my hair. And if that means a cut then I maybe that's a plunge I'll have to take.

And definitely no heat! :D

Coan-Teen
February 2nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
What about just trimming the back while letting the top get longer? It will still look like a pixie for a while but you'll be growing your hair closer to one length for easier growing out.

I've also had the post-pixie mullet. In my case I just toughed it out until my hair was long enough to make a cute bob, but you could also get to the bob by trimming the back until you hit chin length and then reassess.

HTH! Welcome to LHC!

vanillabones
February 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Don't cut it, I sort of missed that very noticeable mullet stage because I got fusion extensions during that stage but they were awful to take out and I could have gone bald :( my hair did grow and is bottom of my neck now but going back to classes this semester I have a long brunette wig that has a cute cut and highlights so I've had fun in wearing that it makes me feel a little more confident, you could try that? :) Or tough it out, it'll be worth it come summer :D

ole gray mare
February 2nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
Sounds like your hair grows quite fast, so this phase will pass quickly. Try twisting sections and clipping them with mini-clips. That can be a really cute look.

Cybelle
February 2nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
I would say don't cut. Getting over the growing hump is the hardest part but so worth it when you make it to your goals. By cutting it you are only postponing what needs to be done to get away from the short hair that is making you down. Don't fret too much. Judging by your siggy pic you are a very beautiful young woman. No length of hair is going to change that. You can try playing around with pretty hair clips and such. If the Hair is really badly bumming you out you can always look into extensions or wigs. They would help you get through your current growing out phase. Other than that you will just have to wait it out. Long hair happens with patience, time, an refraining from the scissors.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Do I tough it out and get through these next couple months of what's sure to be one of the ugliest hairstyles or do I go to a salon and ask them to shape it up?

You've said it yourself, you've had great growth so far and you don't want to trim. I think there's your answer. :flower:

Now the hard part, not feeling happy with your hair... well, not exactly, it's rather: not feeling happy with your hair --at this stage--. In any hair growing journey there are going to be *several* awkward stages along the way. You've hit your first. If each new awkward stage is going to result in a trim, you're delaying that journey somewhat.

Pixies are a pain in the butt, though, so I get it. When I had to have my hair cut after a hair dye incident, I purposefully didn't let them cut shorter than a bob, because I know that anything shorter than that, more layered than that, is simply *hell* to grow out. Growing out from a pixie is not an easy thing to do.

It's up to you, either you toughen it out, get through this somehow, or you have a slight trim. If there's a hair dresser you know you can trust, then maybe you should trim a little, but how much can she cut, really? An inch (since November)? Is it really all that bad to nix (almost) all of your growth?

fluffybunny
Personally when growing out a short layered cut I just trim the bottom edge (level with the nape) until all the layers catch up. It takes at least a year and looks awkward for much of that time, but it's really the quickest way to get the layers gone.

I would be afraid a salon would do more of an allover trim and slow you down, prolonging the grow-out phase.

Wheatland
Hmmm. Yes now I'm thinking maybe I should just tough it out. I thought of wearing a wig but I'm too scared of it coming off in class or something lol. I would be embarrassed.

I've also thought about trimming the back and I actually did trim A BIT off about a month ago but I ended up not liking the look. The back seemed to be really ....round.. like a bowl haircut. I think I'd rather have a mullet than a bowl haircut. :]

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM
If it were me, I'd have a little trim. Pixie cuts look so scraggly if you grow them out without shaping them up. Of course - either way - this too shall pass.

Rocket22
February 2nd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Im sure if you want long hair for your ultimate goal then you will just have to go through the all the stages that will come to get there. Maybe you can pin it back with some pretty hair clips or something? I think with every length there is an awkward phase and it's just working through it. Hang in there and you will be at the next stage :)

emsahib
February 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM
From your profile pic it really looks fine :) don't cut it think about how much longer it will take to get to a length your happy with. Have you tried any clips? Try doing something that will boast your mood and make you forget about your hair for a while. Hang out with some friends, read, watch a film, draw, write, give yourself a makeover. Remember it wont be this length for ever and the more occupied you are the quicker the time will fly by :)

Wheatland
February 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM
Okay I think I've decided to just get through it. It helps to hear of other people who have gone through the same thing but now have beautiful long hair.

I will BE STRONG!

Wheatland
February 2nd, 2011, 11:36 AM
I did actually buy some little tiny flower clips awhile back. They're fun to play with and very sparkly. What's been helping me the most has been putting my hair in tiny little pig tails that my DBF calls "nubs".

Anje
February 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Well, the picture in your Album from January looks OK. But if you can't stand it, I'd say you ought to go to a salon and have them clean up the back a bit. Make sure they know that you want to grow out from the current cut and try not to let them touch the hair on top. Keep trimming the back, and eventually you'll have a bob.

xoxophelia
February 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
You have a feminine face and a little bit of a quirky/artsy look to you so I honestly think you should have no problem pulling it off. When you aren't in class you can always wear a hat and then while in class down. It will grow out in no time.

Wheatland
February 2nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
A few people say trim and but a few more people say tough it out.

I think I'm going to go with the majority. My problem is that I actually do not have a hairstylist that I regularly go to and I'm scared of encountering someone a little scissor happy.

skyblue
February 2nd, 2011, 12:19 PM
if I remember right--this was 7 years ago though--my hair really grew out of the boyish or pixie stage quite fast, just be patient, before you know it you'll have shoulder length hair ;)

Cailie
February 2nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Sounds like your hair grows quite fast, so this phase will pass quickly. Try twisting sections and clipping them with mini-clips. That can be a really cute look.

Yes, this can look cute, I know people who wear this all this time ! Patience is key :flower: