PDA

View Full Version : Healthy vs Unhealthy Updo's

Kat Girl
February 2nd, 2011, 10:04 AM
I know there are some updo's that are unhealthy for hair (ones that consist of teasing, heat, lots of hairspray, etc.), and there are also the good "protective" updo's like braids, etc.

What are some updo's that you can think of that are particularly good for hair, and what are some that are bad/unhealthy?

Madora
February 2nd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Well, I'd say anything that pulls tightly on the hair strands would not be good for the hair.

Putting the hairsticks in the same area day after day can cause damage. Ditto for putting elastics on the same place on your braids.

I'm not a fan of gathering all your hair in one ponytail either..but that's just me.

My main criteria for protective hairdos is that they are comfortable and distribute the weight of my hair. Braids are my "go to" style. I'm a believer in sectioning my hair to achieve my comfortable, protective hair styles.

AnnaJamila
February 2nd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I love braids, but you do have to be careful that you aren't pulling them too tight. Plus rope braids- while absolutely LOVELY- can be very damaging to the hair as to make them you are basically twisting the hair against itself. My best advice would be that so long as you are treating your hair gently and aren't pulling it where you want it to go, you should be fine.

Oh, and hairspray es no-bueno, too!

spidermom
February 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
I don't think my hair likes to be twisted, so I've been using buns that don't require twisting - nautilus, the bun that stays (double loop nautilus) - but it's harder to make them stay with no twisting. It often seems that anything short of putting it under glass away from direct sunlight is going to damage hair, so just do what you can to minimize damage without driving yourself crazy.