PDA

View Full Version : Updo's I can do while growing out layers

Kat Girl
February 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
I am trying to grow out my layers, but in the meantime I really can't do many updo's because the layers fall out of them. Are there any updo's that are more friendly for layered hair (but also good and not damaging to hair)?

mowo
February 2nd, 2011, 10:12 AM
I can recommend all kind of french/dutch braids. Works great on my layered hair (the shortest layers are shoulder length). I always use sprey bottle with water - a little damp hair don't stick out from braids (at least not so much as dry ;) ). Besides that peacock twist, sock bun, gibson tuck, messy bun (this looks great with layers). :)

turquoisebud
February 2nd, 2011, 10:15 AM
I have the same problem! :( Have you tried the french twist? That keeps the layers all tucked in. Also I like braided buns a lot. Sometimes if you do a french braid along the side of your head that kind of uses up a lot of the layered parts, for me anyway. I know layers are a pain, but hang in there! ;)

Becky Safari
February 2nd, 2011, 10:16 AM
I have been sticking to dutch and french braids, which can be difficult to do with the layers, but once they are done those layers stay tucked in for good

Kat Girl
February 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks Mowo and Turquoise,
I love the way French and Dutch Braids look, but I can never seem to do them on my own hair, plus I have a hard time with my hair being fine. I can still do the French Twist and I like that one. Most of the time when I put my hair up it is in a small cinnabun (with layers falling out) or a messy bun (which I can do). I'm happy that I can use a hairstick. Although I can't wait to be able to do bigger buns and use more hair toys. Also I'm afraid of the sock bun. I like the way it looks, but does it pull at, pull out, or damage your hair (it looks like it would both going up and comming out)?

mowo
February 3rd, 2011, 09:30 AM
When I do sock bun I try to do a little loose ponny tail (using elastic without metal parts of course) and next I use very thick elastic under which I hide all sticking ends. In this way I don't need bobby pins or anything else and it's quite gentle for my hair. :) At least this works for my hair.

milagro
February 3rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
I can recommend all kind of french/dutch braids. Works great on my layered hair (the shortest layers are shoulder length). I always use sprey bottle with water - a little damp hair don't stick out from braids (at least not so much as dry ;) ). Besides that peacock twist, sock bun, gibson tuck, messy bun (this looks great with layers). :)
All these are great options, I particularly second lace braids. I just wet my hands a few times while braiding (spraying makes my hair frizzy) and often use a tad of gel.
And messy buns, of course. With a good amount of layers they come out truly messy without any effort :D

EmmyNemmy
March 6th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Layers don't bother me.
It's razored layers I hate. For a long time I was into a "mid-neck-choppy-messy-all-over-the-place-piecey-bangs-going-down-my-face" look, and growing it out has been Hell. At the moment the bottom of my hair lands on my collarbone, but I have layers all the way up to my mid-ear. Also, because of my last cut, the layers I used to comb down the side of my face are to my jaw, so on one side of my head I have a choppy mullet, and on the other my hair looks longer and fuller. It's so bad that when I grow my hair out to BSL, I know I'll be chopping it back up to APL to even everything out. I'm kinda hoping my layers will magically grow faster, but I know it won't happen. For now all I have is patience. :(

metricfuture
March 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Yup, I'm in the same boat. Super asymmetrical and layers from earlobe to way past APL.

EmmyNemmy
March 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Layers don't bother me.
It's razored layers I hate. For a long time I was into a "mid-neck-choppy-messy-all-over-the-place-piecey-bangs-going-down-my-face" look, and growing it out has been Hell. At the moment the bottom of my hair lands on my collarbone, but I have layers all the way up to my mid-ear. Also, because of my last cut, the layers I used to comb down the side of my face are to my jaw, so on one side of my head I have a choppy mullet, and on the other my hair looks longer and fuller. It's so bad that when I grow my hair out to BSL, I know I'll be chopping it back up to APL to even everything out. I'm kinda hoping my layers will magically grow faster, but I know it won't happen. For now all I have is patience. :(

Haha, I forgot to tell you the style I was going to mention. ;)
I usually do Heidi braids, they contain my layers very well. :)

smrider
March 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I have been growing out a Pixie for a little over 2 years with only 1 trim so I feel you on the layers issue. What works for me:
-Braids. French if dutch isn't quite working. Braided buns also stay in better than normal versions of certain buns.
-Splitting the hair, either horizontally (like a half-up but putting up the bottom section as well) or vertically (as in pigtails). This helps especially if the issue is your hair being thick AND layered.
-Putting it up damp, with oil, or with a styling product.
-Buns I can do at MBL with layers up to just past APL: Cinnabun, Nautilus, Lazy wrap

elbow chic
March 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM
french twist, and a crocheted snood, saw me through the worst of the shoulder-to-APL layered phase.