PDA

View Full Version : The "updo challenged" thread

Kherome
February 2nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
I confess that I am very updo challenged. I can do only a small handful of updos such as: Heidi braids, pony tails, a sloppy bun of some sort, and a standard braid. I'd really like to increase my arsenal, but I am just not good at doing my own hair!

I hope I'm not alone? LOL

Any suggestions for other easy updos I might be able to pull off? I cannot french braid my own hair, though I can do it on others.

Panth
February 2nd, 2011, 09:52 AM
JJJ's pretzel bun? Torrinpaige shows how to do it on her tutorial about making decorated hair pins from knitting needles.

podo
February 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
JJJ's pretzel bun is very easy once you get the hang of it.

Spidermom's bun is the same, and very secure.

Equilibrium bun is a very good go-to bun and so very easy to do.

ah... that's all I can think of at the moment. ;)

AspenSong
February 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
YES! You are SO not alone! I feel so so lame here because that's how I am. I mean, I can get a cinnabun up, and a feeble Nautilus (need my hair a bit longer for a good one) and that's it because A) my hair is SO fine and slippery that nothing stays up in it. And B) I'm just apparently not coordinated or talented at it.
I'm also supremely braid challenged other than just an everyday braid. When I try to french braid or do any fun ones, they fail because they look like I tried to do it with my Feet...lol and because again, with the superfine hair, if I do two braids of any kind, they look like sad accent braids that you see on most people. *sigh*

Kherome
February 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
When I try to french braid or do any fun ones, they fail because they look like I tried to do it with my Feet...lol and because again, with the superfine hair, if I do two braids of any kind, they look like sad accent braids that you see on most people. *sigh*

Hehe I feel your pain there! Mine also look like I tried to do them with my feet.

Kat Girl
February 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
YES! You are SO not alone! I feel so so lame here because that's how I am. I mean, I can get a cinnabun up, and a feeble Nautilus (need my hair a bit longer for a good one) and that's it because A) my hair is SO fine and slippery that nothing stays up in it. And B) I'm just apparently not coordinated or talented at it.
I'm also supremely braid challenged other than just an everyday braid. When I try to french braid or do any fun ones, they fail because they look like I tried to do it with my Feet...lol and because again, with the superfine hair, if I do two braids of any kind, they look like sad accent braids that you see on most people. *sigh*

Aspen Song, I feel your pain. I am the exact same way with the braids.

I have superfine hair too. I used to be Pentecostal and I had it long and I knew how to do a lot of very cute styles (up and down) but unfortunately those styles involved a lot of heat, hairspray, and severe damage to my poor fine delicate hair, so I don't really do those anymore. Plus now a days my hair is layered, so I have trouble doing any kind of updo. I'm hoping as my new healthy hair grows, and my layers grow out that will change, but it just seems to take so much time.

Kherome
February 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
JJJ's pretzel bun is very easy once you get the hang of it.

Spidermom's bun is the same, and very secure.

Equilibrium bun is a very good go-to bun and so very easy to do.

ah... that's all I can think of at the moment. ;)

I cannot do Spidermom's bun. I tried and I get lost at a certain point and cannot finish it. :confused: I've never seen the others you listed though.

ole gray mare
February 2nd, 2011, 10:47 AM
I am not good at doing my own hair either. But a Figure 8 is pretty easy. And so is a Chinese bun. I usually just do sides twisted and clipped with mini-claws and a cinnibun in the back secured with a ficcare. Very easy and looks fancier than it is.

Madora
February 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
@ Kherome... You said you can do ponytails, so I thought perhaps you might try this:

Detangle your hair thoroughly, then put in a high ponytail. Comb out the tail so there are no tangles.

Part the ponytail in two sections

Take one section and divide it in 2 sections.

Now take one section and place it over the other.
Continue down the strands until you have what looks like a twisted section (do not twist tightly!)

Take the section you just completed and coil it around the ponytail holder, pinning as you go.

Repeat with the remaining section and coil it around the hair already pinned in place.

Voila..you have a twisted bun.

If you want to hide the ponytail band, you might want to wrap a few strands of your hair around the holder before starting the style. Hope this helps!

RachieBaby
February 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
I belong in this thread haha! Braids, ponytails and simple buns! haha

krissykins
February 2nd, 2011, 12:28 PM
I cannot do Spidermom's bun. I tried and I get lost at a certain point and cannot finish it. :confused: I've never seen the others you listed though.

I can't do Spidermom's bun either, even after watching a YouTube video someone had posted about it like FIFTY FRICKIN TIMES.

Sigh. I can do a cinnamon bun. And sort of braid. And uh... Yea. I've tried learning more because the cinnabun is becoming a pain in the rear to fit into my Ficcare (don't even talk to me about trying to use hairsticks on the cinnabun right now).

Here's to future success for us updo challenged folks ^_^

lundmir
February 2nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
It is not that I can't do updos, but that I don't have much time for anything else than loose, french/dutch braid, or a lazy wrap bun. I'm so bored with my hair!

CarpeDM
February 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
I need help too! I just spent three hours trying to work my hair into a style that will be appropriate for a job interview. I finally gave up...oh why am I so hair challenged :rolleyes:

haibane
February 2nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
I can do lazy wrap bun and pencil bun, or braided versions of them, and that's it. Those two are very easy though and I highly recommend them! :D

I've tried nautilus, spidermoms bun and a bunch of others, but anything that complicated just falls apart while I'm doing it, maybe cause my hair is so slippery.

Deborah
February 2nd, 2011, 01:33 PM
I am seriously a member of this club. I can't even manage a French braid. :o I mostly wear a flipped bun. It's easy, pretty, and it stays up all day if I anchor it reasonably well.

Crackaleen
February 2nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
Oh I belong here. I am very much braid challenged - I can do a simple English braid on myself and I'm pretty comfortable with rope braids, but beyond that I'm helpless. I can't French or Dutch braid on myself or others to save my life. And this is even after sitting in front of my computer with Torrin's tutorials playing over and over, practicing along with her with a mirror. My hair just doesn't want to cooperate and nor do my hands. I can manage a simple bun, nautilus and a messy figure-8. My hair doesn't seem to like Chinese buns and I haven't seen or tried Spidermom's bun, I'll have to go off and look for it now.

BunnyBee
February 2nd, 2011, 02:31 PM
I live in Lazy Wraps and Nautiluseseses :S Unless those two are the same thing. Everything else I try takes too long, falls down, hurts or gets tangled.

Even a standard cinnabun looks pathetic. I don't have enough hair to make a fancy coil so it just looks like a little blob.. lol

I need more easy, pain-free updos :)

Demetra
February 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Ah I am sooo updo challenged! I can only do one kind of bun that is kind of a tucked in cinnamon bun, but I do get so many compliments on it!
Even so, I will be watching this thread to see if I can expand my updo repertoire...

patienceneeded
February 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM
What helped me learn to braid my hair (french, dutch, crown, lace, fishtale, etc) was a simple how-to book I bought years ago as a teenager. It had simple directions and step-by-step pictures, that showed not just the hair, but the hands. I spent HOURS as a teen going through that book, mastering the braids. I felt clumsy, incapable, and like a complete dolt when I first started but as I practiced I improved. It has been years since I got the book (in fact, I think I still have it) and my hair has been long, short, long again, short again...but I never forgot how to braid. It takes time to get skilled at braiding and bunning, keep working! Videos are great, but IMO a book is irreplaceable. I only recently mastered braiding someone else's hair...by practicing on my daughter. Don't give up...just keep practicing.

MsBubbles
February 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
I probably belong here.

JJJlonghair's pretzel bun saved me though. My hair is either slippery-clean, or rat's-tails-greasy, and the pretzel bun is the only thing that contains my hair in either state.

I finally learned how to french & dutch braid my own hair but I can't do it very well on the slippery-clean days, and if I do it on the greasy-days it somehow manages to come loose anyway, and hang in greasy strings around my ears, sticking out at strange angles. I don't even have layers! :rolleyes:

One thing I have learned from learning how to french braid my hair last year...I can probably learn anything if I practice it for long enough. The biggest help to me was when YellowCharriot said it took him three solid weeks to get it right, but after that, he got it. That made me keep at it for 3 weeks. I promised myself after that if I still failed I could give up.

patienceneeded
February 2nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
One thing I have learned from learning how to french braid my hair last year...I can probably learn anything if I practice it for long enough. The biggest help to me was when YellowCharriot said it took him three solid weeks to get it right, but after that, he got it. That made me keep at it for 3 weeks. I promised myself after that if I still failed I could give up.

This is exactly what I meant. It takes a considerable amount of time to learn to braid. Yes, some people find find it easier than others, just as some people are more athletic than others. However, IMHO anyone can learn to braid. Just don't give up on yourself. It took me several weeks to master the french braid, and then about the same length of time to master the dutch braid ('cause I kept getting my fingers confused and ended up with a weird french/dutch hybrid). Once you've got the french and dutch braiding technique figured out, you can do so many different styles from there. Oh, I found that (for me) it was a lot easier to braid if I DID NOT look in a mirror. The mirror image-reversal just confused me. I still can't really braid if I look in a mirror. I just go by feel. I look after I'm done. The best advice I can give it this:
1. Get a simple step-by-step book.
2. Practice. Practice. Practice. For weeks if need be.
3. Don't worry if it isn't perfect the 1st, 10th, or 100th time. Even those who have "mastered" a style occasionally mess up and have to start again.
4. Have fun!

Vanilla Mint
February 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
My hair is quite fine as well. :| It makes the hairs at the top of my head puff or slide around while I'm trying to get it situated! So frustrating! I generally wear my hair down, which is kind of why I keep it long, but I also feel like I should be able to do SOMETHING with all of it. I envy all the lovely, updo-talented ladies on here so much. I'll never give up practicing, though!

Kherome
February 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Ok someone has to tell me how to find JJJs Pretzel bun. I can't find it and it's been brought up here several times...I must see it! :D

enfys
February 2nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
It's on YouTube :D

skyblue
February 2nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Oh yeah You Tube!! Tons of hair tuts! A few are from members here! I was amazed at how many up do vids there are for any length of hair and they are all very easy to do! I had no idea! I've learned a few already and I noticed that you almost have to train your hair to cooperate lol
after practicing a bit your hands and hair just sort of know what to do...if that makes any sense lol!

Kherome
February 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
It's on YouTube :D

Found it! I can probably do that, but I wonder if I can make it hold with Scroo pins instead of the clips?

Arya
February 2nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
could someone post links?
I'm also updo challenged V__V

BunnyBee
February 2nd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Didn't we have a hair dictionary at some point? What happened to that?

Kittin
February 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
I belong here. My hair is fine and slippery. Most hair sticks fall right out so I have to use a ton of pins and put the stick in for decoration. For me, Its pretty much a french twist or a single braid. I wear my hair down at work all the time cause it looks the best. My hair is so fine and pretty limp that buns don't hold and look severe. I can't for the life of me get them to look softer, yes I read the thread on not looking so severe. If I loosen up the front, then it all sort of slides out. So I mostly wear french twist with hair screws. Half up looks decent cause I can get a little height on my hair so it doesn't look all Lilith Crane. I'd love to be able to master a lace braid that stays put.

I know I should be able to do this. I went to a local salon that specializes in blow outs. They have two up dos. I thought if I watched somebody do my hair, maybe I could walk away with some tricks. I went in with dry hair, I washed the day before. She teased my bang area much more than I would have liked. I asked her not to tease the length. Then she used a curling iron the length to get volume as she pinned the sections up, a ton of styling products, even more bobby pins, and way too much hair spray. It was cute but probably not something I'd try again. Short of sleeping in curlers to put my hair up, I'm not sure how to duplicate anything I learned at home.

/sigh I keep practicing but it really seems like I am getting nowhere.

haibane
February 2nd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Lazy wrap bun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTt771qkO24

Lazy Wrap Bun for VERY long Hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG9-gLSqnoc
(I do it more similar to this)

Pencil bun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34

Kherome
February 3rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
Hey I kind of pulled off the pretzel bun! Yay! Pic in my album!

Kherome
February 3rd, 2011, 11:13 AM
Hope this works...http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7086&pictureid=95113

krissykins
February 3rd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Here's the hair style dictionary (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/filter.php?ax=o), if anyone is looking for it. ^_^

Some folks have mentioned books on hair styling. Are there any recommendations on which ones are good?

tanya222
February 3rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks so much for that hair style dictionary, krissykins!

*totally envisioning myself sitting here later tonight clicking on all those and trying to do them LOL*

Seriously, I do belong in this group! Once, I tried for so long to do a cinnamon bun and just couldn't! The coils just would not lie flat. And the pins wouldn't stay in. Eventually my poor tired arms gave up! I wound up with a weird-looking beebutt bun....

Kittin
February 3rd, 2011, 01:13 PM
This thread inspired me to practice my lace braiding without styling gel several times last night. I still can't get it stay put for the life of me. With gel it works just fine.

jeanniet
February 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM
Oh, yes, this is me! :) Not only am I fairly inept, but the thickness of my hair makes it that much more difficult--I'm waiting and waiting for my hair to get long enough so I can try some different buns like a Nautilus. I can do a decent French twist and a lazy variation, a pencil bun, a wrapped stick bun (or whatever it's called), a weak cinnabun, and a pretty crappy braid. And stick my hair up in a Ficcare if all else fails. I'm constantly search youtube for something new that I might be able to manage. So I'll eagerly read this thread and see if something exciting comes up! :D

ddiana1979
February 3rd, 2011, 01:35 PM
If you can manage a decent English braid (2, actually) and have enough length, you can do a Braided Chinese Bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n98D0j8Ypfg). My hair isn't *anywhere* near as long as the woman doing the tutorial, but it still looks nice in this style. Very easy and most people haven't seen it, so it looks complicated & elegant to non-LHCers.

krissykins
February 4th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks so much for that hair style dictionary, krissykins!

*totally envisioning myself sitting here later tonight clicking on all those and trying to do them LOL*

Seriously, I do belong in this group! Once, I tried for so long to do a cinnamon bun and just couldn't! The coils just would not lie flat. And the pins wouldn't stay in. Eventually my poor tired arms gave up! I wound up with a weird-looking beebutt bun....

You're welcome! I love that the hair style dictionary has a difficulty rating system. Still, I can't do the easy ones.

But I did do a really decent English braid yesterday when I was at the gym! :disco: Oh yea, I'm cool! haha

scorpio_rising
February 4th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Ooh! Me! Me! *subscribe*

krissykins
February 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Ugh, I tried to do heidi braids on Tuesday and I looked SO STUPID.

Sigh. Why are updos so hard??

Hotrox
February 10th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hope this works...http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7086&pictureid=95113

Kherome - that looks great, congratulations :D

Katze
February 11th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I either do not have the patience or the mental capacity to follow online tutorials, even if they are videos. So I can do a ponytail, half-pony/half bun (these are hard, mine never look like women I see on the street), half-up, numerous braids (I am good at braiding, but my hair isn't), and a lazy wrap bun, because a friend showed me. I used to be able to do a French Twist, my own version, but my hair is too long and thick now to make that version work.

Many updos just look BAD on my head/face/body shape, so I am not especially motivated. Also, many of the 'dos just look the same to me, sorry. :)

So I end up wearing one of the above most times, and I also value being able to wear my hair DOWN, within reason - keeping it out of the way while cleaning, biking, sleeping.

krissykins
March 21st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Is everyone still updo challenged? I managed to do a rose bun the other day :D

selderon
March 21st, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'm updo challenged. Right now I think that's mostly due to having hair too short and thick to do most of the more common styles.

That said, with the right tutorials I learned to lace braid and I'm starting to get ideas for a variety of styles. The moment I realized that hairstyling is like cooking, it all clicked.

You may be puzzled by that last... In cooking and hairstyling, there are a finite number of component pieces or ingredients and a finite number of techniques for working with those ingredients. Once you understand the ingredients and techniques, it is a simple matter of combining the ones you like to create something that works for you.

Yamainu
March 22nd, 2011, 01:46 AM
I'm getting better at buns, but I'm still braid challenged. Neither french, nor dutch work for me. Weirdly, I can do a french rope, but not french rope pigtails. And Heidi braids continue to elude me.

ladyveg
March 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM
Me, me! Between this and the thin hair thread and the hair cleavage thread, I'm finding so many people to relate to. My hair is layered, with the shortest ends at shoulder length and the longest at APL so I have that going against me. Also, since it is so thin and fine, most hair toys just slide right out. I don't even know if I have enough hair to cover a sock bun, not to mention how tiny my cinnamon buns are. (Wish my real buns were that tiny!)

krissykins
March 22nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
I'm getting better at buns, but I'm still braid challenged. Neither french, nor dutch work for me. Weirdly, I can do a french rope, but not french rope pigtails. And Heidi braids continue to elude me.

I love buns, but I can only do a few of them as I have thick hair (both a blessing and a curse :p). Braids, however... :(

I did heidi braids with the help of my roommate. Let's just say it's not the best look for my face shape, even though she's an excellent braider.

Malibu Barbie
March 22nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
This is me all the way, I'm not very good at updo's. I cheat, I'll braid my hair then roll it in a bun and stick pins or hair sticks in it. I have been trying to expand my talents but this works best so far and I don't have use any hairspray.:)

ElusiveMuse
March 22nd, 2011, 02:09 PM
I'm starting to get the hang of certain buns (I can do infinity/figure 8, rose, Chinese, and almost have lazy wraps and nautilus) but cinnamon buns look TERRIBLE on my hair. I get a really thick first twist but then the rest is soooo thin and anemic it looks awful and lopsided :(

As for braids, forget it! I can do regular braids and rope braids but nothing that resembles French braids or the like.

Kherome
March 22nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
Yep I am def. still updo challenged :doh:

krissykins
March 22nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
I tried to do Torrin Paige's LHC French Combo bun and failed epically. :(

Intotouch
March 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
One cute and very simple one i know (sorry i don't know the name) is made with two hair sticks and a pony loop. Pull only a few inches of the hair through the pony tie to make a loop. Take a hair stick and put it through one quarter of the hair in the loop, push it behind the tie,to the side, then through another quarter of the hair loop on the opposite side. Take the second hair stick and do the same (using the last two quarters of hair loop) but from a 45 degree angle to the first stick. It looks very cute. You can then twist the end of the hair around and behind the hair sticks.

Can anyone recommend a super gentle up do? I have fine curly thin hair that breaks easily so i'm really nervous about tying it up. Currently i pull it through half a sock and secure it with a crocodile clip. I live in a very windy city and i had hoped that this would help protect my hair and help it thicken but so far no luck. I would really appreciate the help.

Sunshineliz
March 23rd, 2011, 03:43 PM
I can do some updos, but they hurt my scalp and give me headaches pretty quickly. Does anyone know any updo's that are easy on the head and distribute the weight really well?

selderon
March 23rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
I can do some updos, but they hurt my scalp and give me headaches pretty quickly. Does anyone know any updo's that are easy on the head and distribute the weight really well?

Which updos are you doing now? Where do they hurt? When you do these updos, do you style your hair in the direction it likes to lay or in a direction unusual for you?

krissykins
March 23rd, 2011, 08:32 PM
One cute and very simple one i know (sorry i don't know the name) is made with two hair sticks and a pony loop. Pull only a few inches of the hair through the pony tie to make a loop. Take a hair stick and put it through one quarter of the hair in the loop, push it behind the tie,to the side, then through another quarter of the hair loop on the opposite side. Take the second hair stick and do the same (using the last two quarters of hair loop) but from a 45 degree angle to the first stick. It looks very cute. You can then twist the end of the hair around and behind the hair sticks.

Can anyone recommend a super gentle up do? I have fine curly thin hair that breaks easily so i'm really nervous about tying it up. Currently i pull it through half a sock and secure it with a crocodile clip. I live in a very windy city and i had hoped that this would help protect my hair and help it thicken but so far no luck. I would really appreciate the help.

Have you tried braiding your hair? You could either put it up into a low cinnamon bun or put something over it to protect it :)

torrilin
March 24th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I tried to do Torrin Paige's LHC French Combo bun and failed epically. :(

Well...

That style kind of depends on you having a couple basic skills. You need to be able to do twin French braids. You need to be able to use ribbon braiding. And you need to have enough length to make a braided bun.

That last is a killer, at least for me. I'd need about 3-6" more length in my braid to get a regular braided bun to work. And I'm a ii thickness! If you're a iii it might take rather a lot more. And I think Torrin's a iii and her hair is well past tailbone in that video...

If you focus on getting twin French braids down, it'll let you work out similar styles, even if your hair is waaaaaaaaaaaay too short for this particular one yet.

Monkey962
March 24th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I was actually gonna make a thread about this. A big reason why I haven't taught myself anything is simply because I don't have any hairsticks and I don't know where to get them. I'd order them online, but I don't have a credit card. Recently, I fashioned some out of bamboo skewers, that should hopefully work well. However, I still can't seem to do any of the really quick, simple buns I see her on LHC and youtube. I'm pretty disappointed at this since I think I figured out that most of my damage comes from what I do instead, which is a regular braid, folded twice and secured with elastics. Small wonder when I found splits and dots not just at my ends, but up the whole length.

ladypurple
March 24th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Yes I am EXTREMELY "updo challenged"! I think it's because my hair is not long enough (like so many of the LHC members) to do most of the styles... I've got a couple of hair forks and sticks, but usually I just wind up doing a bun that starts off as a cinnamon bun but morphs into a weird twist bun that hides my raggedy ends. Sigh. At least I can manage a french braid though, but it took loads of practice!

Sunshineliz
March 24th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Which updos are you doing now? Where do they hurt? When you do these updos, do you style your hair in the direction it likes to lay or in a direction unusual for you?

The ones that hurt the most are ones where the hair changes direction. But even the others can hurt after a while (as a headache) from the weight. The only styles that don't make me light-headed or hurt are english braids, low ponytails, and the Heidi style braids if they aren't left up too long. (I don't think most of those qualify as updos though LOL)

"Classic" buns, especially not low ones make me light-headed, and even a french braid can do it (although I'm ok with two but not one) High ponytails hurt like the devil all around the ponytail spot and give me a horrible headache.

I think I'm just really sensitive to weight-distribution changes around my head. I recently cut off over a foot of really damaged hair and thought that at least now I would be able to wear my hair up without all the weight. The light-headedness and pain are still there though, but perhaps less than before.

krissykins
March 24th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Well...

That style kind of depends on you having a couple basic skills. You need to be able to do twin French braids. You need to be able to use ribbon braiding. And you need to have enough length to make a braided bun.

That last is a killer, at least for me. I'd need about 3-6" more length in my braid to get a regular braided bun to work. And I'm a ii thickness! If you're a iii it might take rather a lot more. And I think Torrin's a iii and her hair is well past tailbone in that video...

If you focus on getting twin French braids down, it'll let you work out similar styles, even if your hair is waaaaaaaaaaaay too short for this particular one yet.

Ribbon braiding and braided bun = yes.
Twin French braids = no. :(

I just don't know how to French braid from the side of my head. It always ends up looking funky. I guess I will keep practicing.

Intotouch
March 24th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the super hair dictionary link KK! I don't know about the braid suggestion though. Unfortunately my hair is so frizzy and thin that braids look weird. A ball of curls turning into this tiny sad plait below. But it's worth a try again. I'll have a go after i oil the mop.

I found hair sticks in a jewelery/bead store. It might be worth asking for where you guys live. You can choose your favourite beads to put on the end. It's worth trying. They were very cheap and i got to have fun with beads too. (I'm thinking of making some to sell at some point.)

Intotouch
March 24th, 2011, 01:52 PM
The ones that hurt the most are ones where the hair changes direction. But even the others can hurt after a while (as a headache) from the weight. The only styles that don't make me light-headed or hurt are english braids, low ponytails, and the Heidi style braids if they aren't left up too long. (I don't think most of those qualify as updos though LOL)

"Classic" buns, especially not low ones make me light-headed, and even a french braid can do it (although I'm ok with two but not one) High ponytails hurt like the devil all around the ponytail spot and give me a horrible headache.

I think I'm just really sensitive to weight-distribution changes around my head. I recently cut off over a foot of really damaged hair and thought that at least now I would be able to wear my hair up without all the weight. The light-headedness and pain are still there though, but perhaps less than before.
Hi Sunshineliz, have you tried doing half an updo? (Using half your hair instead of the lot i mean.) There's a lot that you can do with a section of long hair. I would imagine anyway.

Kherome
March 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Sunshine- You could botox your scalp. They do that now. Apparently if your scalp is super sensitive they can botox some of that right out of you. No personal experience with it, just something I recall hearing.

torrilin
March 25th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Ribbon braiding and braided bun = yes.
Twin French braids = no. :(

I just don't know how to French braid from the side of my head. It always ends up looking funky. I guess I will keep practicing.

Dianyla, one of the mods, has a braiding tutorial that is pretty simple, and blew my mind. Instead of braiding by trying to split your hair into 3 sections vertically, use a T shaped part. So separate off the front part of your hair like you're doing a half up, and then the bottom part gets split vertically. Doing this produces a regular English braid, but it sits a bit closer to your head. Doing a twin braids version produces braids that are super-tidy and close to the skull, and they don't hang over your shoulders or wander everywhere.

After doing that a time or two, I realized you can use the same trick to do a French braid. Suddenly French braids got a lot easier. And neater.

I did it a few more times, and realized that the direction of that vertical part controls the way the braid moves on your head. Ah-ha! Now I could do neat things like have a braid come over my shoulder and stay put.

It was a real lightbulb moment.

I still haven't fully absorbed it. But it makes it a lot easier to see *how* Torrin manages her hair in the video. And the more I work with the concepts, the easier it gets to handle braiding.

krissykins
March 25th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Dianyla, one of the mods, has a braiding tutorial that is pretty simple, and blew my mind. Instead of braiding by trying to split your hair into 3 sections vertically, use a T shaped part. So separate off the front part of your hair like you're doing a half up, and then the bottom part gets split vertically. Doing this produces a regular English braid, but it sits a bit closer to your head. Doing a twin braids version produces braids that are super-tidy and close to the skull, and they don't hang over your shoulders or wander everywhere.

After doing that a time or two, I realized you can use the same trick to do a French braid. Suddenly French braids got a lot easier. And neater.

I did it a few more times, and realized that the direction of that vertical part controls the way the braid moves on your head. Ah-ha! Now I could do neat things like have a braid come over my shoulder and stay put.

It was a real lightbulb moment.

I still haven't fully absorbed it. But it makes it a lot easier to see *how* Torrin manages her hair in the video. And the more I work with the concepts, the easier it gets to handle braiding.

You are awesome :) Thanks for the explanation! I'm going to try this on a day when I'm not too tired to braid my hair. Haha

selderon
March 25th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I was actually gonna make a thread about this. A big reason why I haven't taught myself anything is simply because I don't have any hairsticks and I don't know where to get them. I'd order them online, but I don't have a credit card. Recently, I fashioned some out of bamboo skewers, that should hopefully work well. However, I still can't seem to do any of the really quick, simple buns I see her on LHC and youtube. I'm pretty disappointed at this since I think I figured out that most of my damage comes from what I do instead, which is a regular braid, folded twice and secured with elastics. Small wonder when I found splits and dots not just at my ends, but up the whole length.

You can get inexpensive hair sticks at Claire's, Icing or online at Fire Mountain Gems. One easy thing for your hair would be to braid as you have been, but secure the braid to your head either folded or as a cinnabun with hair sticks.

An alternative for the interim would be chopsticks from your local Chinese restaurant. Just make sure they're completely smooth so they don't snag. You can use fine gauge sand paper for this. I mean fine grit. DH says steel wool would work well too.

Sunshineliz
March 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Sunshine- You could botox your scalp. They do that now. Apparently if your scalp is super sensitive they can botox some of that right out of you. No personal experience with it, just something I recall hearing.

Wow, botox your scalp? The things people do...I think I'll skip that one.:) Interesting idea though.

Intotouch half updos usually work ok depending on what I do, so I might have to stick with those... thanks for the advice.

I'm jealous of my DD-- she has tailbone length hair and I can do updos on her without her hurting all the time!

torrilin
March 25th, 2011, 02:51 PM
You are awesome :) Thanks for the explanation! I'm going to try this on a day when I'm not too tired to braid my hair. Haha

The thing I keep finding as I learn updos is that mostly they're built around a few basic basic BASIC ideas. I feel a lot less dumb the more basics I learn! Hopefully the braid trick will help you as much as it helped me :D.

jackiesjottings
March 27th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Another one to share your pain! I end up doing very simple twisted into a claw clip or braided and wrapped round a clip updos as I am seriously updo challenged. I can manage a basic braid but so far have failed on the herringbone braid. Sock buns are OK but the Gibson tuck just did not work with my fine hair. Although mine is classic now I am one of the fine and thins and find I just don't seem to have enough volume for intricate dos. *sobs*

einna
March 31st, 2011, 06:32 PM
I just did my very first french braid!!! Off course it is not even close to "out of house wear", but I understood how to do it, and it actually looked (almost) like it was supposed to (as opposed to my "buns", who always look like a messy bun/hair thrown together with lots of frizz).
There might be hope yet..

AnqeIicDemise
March 31st, 2011, 07:26 PM
Change the way you arrange the braids. Like, I got the Dutch braid down last week.. and I find its more fun to do it around my head -- almost like a crown braid . I then gather the tassle end, twist it up in a rope braid and pin it in a bun. It is super cute. I can either fluff up the twists before making the bun, or leave the last third of the tassels loose and spike them out around so I got a funky up do. Some other days I do it in the opposite end, left to right, and leave the ends loose. Sometimes I do the dutch braids down like normal and bun up the ends in little buns...its all about variation and changing it up a bit. EVEN try doing a braid where the chunks aren't even -- one chunky end, two small ones. It comes out funky looking and adorable!

This last recourse I don't do as often as I want to protect my ends, y'know? And I make it as such so I don't have to back comb.. as to minimize the damage.

I've actually gotten more ideas while on this forum than I have on my own.

AnqeIicDemise
March 31st, 2011, 07:30 PM
I just did my very first french braid!!! Off course it is not even close to "out of house wear", but I understood how to do it, and it actually looked (almost) like it was supposed to (as opposed to my "buns", who always look like a messy bun/hair thrown together with lots of frizz).
There might be hope yet..

You do know that some people make buns messy on purpose, right? Go with the flow and don't let it be discouraged. I mean.. NO ONE but YOU know that the layers puffing out in between, lopsidedness and whispies were not on purpose. You'd be surprised!

einna
April 1st, 2011, 09:17 AM
You do know that some people make buns messy on purpose, right? Go with the flow and don't let it be discouraged. I mean.. NO ONE but YOU know that the layers puffing out in between, lopsidedness and whispies were not on purpose. You'd be surprised!

Haha, yeah, I do know. But it is still a very good point ;) I do wear them on purpose, but it would still be nice to make a "classic" one. Some day maybe... :D