PDA

View Full Version : Hair got longer but looks shorter!

SandyStar
February 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM
My hair has gotten longer since Sept. but it looks shorter now because I've gained weight and my hair is fluffy today. So disappointing! LOL

I need to lose some weight. I want to lose weight without it affecting my hair growth. Anyway to do that?

Hair on Sept. 19, 2009
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu236/Denebie/Sept192009hairlength-1.jpg

Hair on Sept. 26, 2010 (approximately one year later)
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu236/Denebie/Sept262010-1.jpg

Hair on Feb. 1, 2011 (approximately 4 months later from 1 year anniversary)
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu236/Denebie/lengthFeb12011.jpg

pepperminttea
February 1st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Really? It looks a good amount longer to me, especially with the stripes to compare things. Lucky you!

Rocket22
February 1st, 2011, 10:20 PM
ReallY? your hair is tons longer!!!!! to me it looks like you on on the last red stripe on the shirt in the now picture and the before picture you were on the red stirpe above (way above) :) looks fantastic!

SandyStar
February 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks! It just looks shorter to me. I love my striped sweater but it looks like I'm going to outgrow it soon!

Hmmm...I just noticed that my stats are all wrong. I'm way longer than 28 inches now. LOL

HintOfMint
February 1st, 2011, 11:03 PM
Your hair looks noticeably longer and quite pretty at that.

As far as losing weight without affecting your hair, I'm no expert but, as long as you're getting enough healthy fats, protein and vitamins in your diet, you should be fine. Exercise is also reportedly good for your hair in that it increases blood flow. A crash diet, on the other hand, is bad news for hair. So is stress and lack of sleep, so remember to chill out and don't get down on yourself about your weight.

Best of luck, and P.S. what I wouldn't give for hair like yours.

SandyStar
February 1st, 2011, 11:13 PM
I should work out a healthy eating plan. I've been weary of dieting because I'm afraid it might make me lose my hair or something.

Exercise is definitely good though. I should find some way to work that into my day.

AnnaJamila
February 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Oooooooooooh pretty hair! You should try the Meditterranean diet. Sorry, I'm pretty sure that's spelled wrong! :o It's done wonders for my skin, hair and nails and it's very good for you. It's also upped my vitality and helped me shed a few... Although you do have to be careful with portion control- the food is DELICIOUS!!!

knux
February 1st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Exercise is key, but I noticed when I run, if I do not get enough water my hair suffers so much. My advice, along with the great advice above, is to make sure you are getting your 8 glasses a day, and even more so if your doing a lot of cardio.

P.S your hair is beautiful!

ibleedlipstick
February 1st, 2011, 11:25 PM
Your hair is fantastic! And I vote Weight Watchers. It is good, even if you don't go to the meetings (they are a tad expensive for me) you can still count points/modify it for your needs. I've lost about 50lbs in the past two years, and recently started WW to get rid of the last, exceedingly stubborn 30lbs or so. I'm vegetarian, and I like how I can choose the foods that I eat. I would die if I had to try Atkins— or I would live off of cheese :cheese:

SandyStar
February 1st, 2011, 11:41 PM
Your hair is fantastic! And I vote Weight Watchers. It is good, even if you don't go to the meetings (they are a tad expensive for me) you can still count points/modify it for your needs. I've lost about 50lbs in the past two years, and recently started WW to get rid of the last, exceedingly stubborn 30lbs or so. I'm vegetarian, and I like how I can choose the foods that I eat. I would die if I had to try Atkins— or I would live off of cheese :cheese:

Congratulations! 50 pounds is a lot!

I should try Weight Watchers. They sound healthy.

Malibu Barbie
February 1st, 2011, 11:49 PM
Your hair looks great and it has really grown longer!!

Dragon
February 2nd, 2011, 12:15 AM
It has defiantly gotten noticeable longer, congrats :)

Fufu
February 2nd, 2011, 01:04 AM
Wonderful growth :) and your hair is lovely.

Avital88
February 2nd, 2011, 01:35 AM
As far as i can see your hair got a lot of lenght in the past 4 months! Really healthy thick hair,congrats with your progress.

ddiana1979
February 2nd, 2011, 06:41 AM
Wow, your hair looks so much longer!!! Love the color too!

You don't look like you need to lose weight to me, but at any rate, Weight Watchers is a safe & healthy plan, especially if you follow all of the 8 Good Health Guidelines (enough water, healthy oil, fruits & veggies, multivitamin, etc.). I lost over 50 pounds with them, and I don't think my hair suffered at all. I'm back with them again, trying to lose some weight for my wedding (I got lazy and gained some back over the past couple years).

enfys
February 2nd, 2011, 07:10 AM
Four months on average would be about 5cm/2". If each stripe is 1cm wide (guessing based on number and previous growth rate) then you have about 7cm more legnth!

I can definitely see it, and you should be proud of it!

As far as diets go, few people would disagree that as natural and fresh as you can manage is the best route.

virgo75
February 2nd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Your hair is gorgeous and it looks much longer!

I agree with everyone else that the only way to go to lose weight is healthy eating + exercise. "Diets" are usually temporary fixes and don't stick because you want to go back to "normal" eventually. Changing your way of eating so that it's healthier for you would be a lifetime solution.

Best of luck with your hair growth and health. :flower:

SandyStar
February 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks everyone! You're all so kind! I must have some hair dysmorphia or something!

I'm going to start cutting out most starches in my diet just to start. I think I eat way too much starch.

Rocket22
February 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks! It just looks shorter to me. I love my striped sweater but it looks like I'm going to outgrow it soon!

Hmmm...I just noticed that my stats are all wrong. I'm way longer than 28 inches now. LOL

that's soooo cool!!! wish I would out grow mine! I've only been here a few months and I hate my striped shirt already! :) you were one of the first hair people that I really noticed when I joined and got the stripe shirt idea from you BTW :) I love your progress photos.

FrizzBall
February 2nd, 2011, 08:51 PM
It looks so pretty and poofy now. I should wear striped shirts to measure my progress. I need to lose weight too...

Zindell
February 4th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Your hair looks amazing! :thud:

pariate
February 4th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks everyone! You're all so kind! I must have some hair dysmorphia or something!

I'm going to start cutting out most starches in my diet just to start. I think I eat way too much starch.

Hi

First of all, may I say that you have beautiful hair! Gorgeous colour, lovely length and it's a lovely thickness. I am a little envious ;)

As for losing weight in a healthy way, my OH has been on a diet for a while and one of the first things he did was cut out starchy carbs - no rice, bread, potatoes or pasta, etc. He's increased the serving of veggies with every meal to replace the lost potatoes. Seems to work a treat for him. I don't eat starchy things even though I'm not dieting and when I made the change my energy levels increased considerably. He also finds it helpful to make sure he has a decent amount of protein in each meal. When he snacks during the day he usually opts for nuts and fruit, or a small salad pot - tuna mayo (made with mayonnaise and wholegrain mustard) with mixed seeds, chopped cucumber and celery is a real favourite in this house. I love it and so does he. My OH was determined not to crash-diet. Like you (or so it sounds, please correct me if I'm wrong!) he just wanted to a lose a little weight and KEEP it off, and losing it SLOWLY is supposed to be the key to that.

Good luck!