PDA

View Full Version : Androgenic (Androgenetic) Alopecia

lovinmylife
February 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM
I am almost 100% sure this is what I have :(:( Does anyone else have it? Any treatments you recommend? Don't recommend?
Thanks <3

lovinmylife
February 2nd, 2011, 05:54 AM
Well....that definitely makes me feel a little alone:( no one know anything?? Im loading pictures to my computer right now.... but I'm embarrassed to post them if I'm the only one with this issue.:(

enfys
February 2nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Don't lose heart; this thread hasn't been up long. Not everyone will have checked in in the last ten hours.

I don't know much about the condition in females, but for males minoxodil is meant to be effective during use. It's obviously marketed at males because it's a more common problem. I think I have seen one marketed at females but I don't know what the difference was. Minoxodil is meant to be the most effective OTC treatment around. I know if you stop using it the new growth will fall out. It can take some time to see results. My DH stopped using it because he found it very irritating. We are now looking into essetial oil massage blends.

Why do you think it is this type and not a regular shedding? What professionals have you visited? Any trichologists, or just your gp? How long has it been happening for, and at what rate?

Pictures are often helpful because many members here have suffered hair loss for many reasons and someone might recognise it.

pixistixx
February 2nd, 2011, 06:41 AM
I have this... it is caused by a sex hormone imbalance.. mine was determined by blood tests, elevated DHT and free testosterone are the culprits. Mine is caused because I have adrenal gland dysfunction, due to multiple unresolved vitamin/mineral deficiencies from years of celiacs which caused ulcerative colitis, so I have a near impossible chance of correcting the deficiencies to correct the hormones. I have tried years of natural remedies (internal) and nothing has been able to correct the imbalance. In most people, the reason for imbalance, especially in women is zinc deficiency, or, too much copper in relation to how much zinc you are taking in. WOmen with copper IUD's tend to get this problem. If your zinc is too low, it blocks the conversion of master hormones, like pregnenalone, that turns into estrogen, testosterone, etc. from becoming the proper amount of estrogen.. instead it turns into excess testosterone.

Out of control diabetes or insulin resistance can make the imbalance worse, or even cause it. PCOS is another possibility, again, caused/ aggravated by insulin resistance. A non androgenic birth control will keep symptoms under control... NOT ones like Alesse.... there are some that can promote androgens. Ortho tri cyclen (not the lo dose though) is one of the BC pills that will lower your testosterone levels. However, it can cause your estrogen to become too high, which could also become problematic over the years. I've used topicals to control the hair thinning.. I like the nioxin follicle booster, or you could get a natural saw palmetto gel which has also worked for me. Nothing has made more hair grow, but it keeps what you have from falling out. If it is indeed your hormones that are out of whack, you would probably notice some hirsuitism as well, it could be really mild though. The only way to actually know is to get blood work that tests your vitamin/ mineral levels, as well as a full hormone panel.

virgo75
February 2nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
OP, have you been to a doctor and had testing done?
If a doctor diagnosed you, then they should be able to offer you some treatments as well.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time with your shedding and hope it gets better soon. :flower:

Purdy Bear
February 2nd, 2011, 10:34 AM
For Alopecia to be diagnosed correctly you need to see a Dermatologist, who will give you blood test and a scalp test to make sure its not hormonal imbalances, anaemia, thyroid problems, serrum ferratin and vitamin/mineral deficiency etc.

Most Alopecia comes under an Auto Immunce disease, and just recently they have found the gene which has surprisingly been linked with Arthritus, Diabetes 1, and Caeliacs disease.

As far as treaments, there are a few that can work, but not for everyone:

Minoxidil or Rogaine, is a rub on fluid, steriod injections straight into the scalp, or irritants..

Do be aware if you are of childbearing age, you must research the above, as some will affect the fertility of the women using them.

Alternative therapies have been shown to be more successfull, with Aromatheraphy being the leader of the pack. Aberdeen Infirmary did a study using aromatheraphy oils which showed some good results in Alopecia Areata. Another was a aromatherphy recipe by Melanie Von Zabuesnig who regrew her hair back from Alopecia Univarlis. Pm me if you want the recipes, they are on the LHC somewhere but I dont have the links.

I have found good nutrtion, massage, Balayam (nail rubbing), hot compresses, relaxation have had a great help.

I have Alopecia Univarlis - total body hair loss - and since starting to research and eatting better I have some regrowth even if it is minor for the first time in 6 years.

With nutrtion you need to eat a lot of protein, biotin, vitamin c rich foods. The best of these beings eggs, cheese, spinach, swiss chard, nuts, diary, and watercress. With watercress you do need to be careful of its intake due to its very high vitamin a levels and other things it contains.

In the long run, there are things that work for some but not for others. Its about trying everything to find out what works. It takes 3 months to find out if anything is working for your hair so its a long process.

This forum is a hive of knowledge, I suggest you look up MSM, and Monistat.

The medical profession is restricted so will not tell you about any alternative study that works. I have just started this week trialing spiritual hands on self healing, so we will see in a few months if its working.

NordicPandi
February 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I don't know if what I have is alopecia, but I've been tested and my androgens are too high. I also have hair loss and dark, stubbly hair growth in places that I shouldn't, like my chin :(

I would love ideas for more natural things to try.

I've had some luck with Emu oil for the hair loss. It's a natural anti androgen. It helps with my hormonal acne as well when I use it as a lotion on my face.

Other natural anti androgens that I've heard of are peppermint tea and saw palmetto. I've heard Apple pectin might bind to excess androgens, I may try that one.

On the medication side, I tried spironolactone (aldactone) pills. They're pretty effective after a month or so, but I avoid medications like that when possible. Once I found out it was a steroid, I quit using it.

Spiro is available without a prescription in a cream from hair loss sites. It's less effective than the pills, but also wouldn't have as many effects on the body. I've tried it, and found the emu oil to be equally as effective, if not more so.

:flower: I hope you find something that works for you quickly.

I'm very interested to hear if anyone has found something that helps them.

Red_Wednesday
February 6th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Hello OP,

I'm not sure if this would be helpful or not, but I found this very interesting. It was specifically this post that caught my eye:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1457803&postcount=78

It's about people who have had issues with alopecia growing their hair back after using iodine. The reason it caught my eye is because my mom had had issues with hair loss due to the many high blood pressure medications she is on, but also because of severe issues she has had with her thyroid. She has since had thyroid surgery, but her hair has not quite returned yet, so I was planning on directing her to this thread. Perhaps it might be of interest to you too:flower:.

The entire thread here:

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63520

dawnandxavier
February 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM
For Alopecia to be diagnosed correctly you need to see a Dermatologist, who will give you blood test and a scalp test to make sure its not hormonal imbalances, anaemia, thyroid problems, serrum ferratin and vitamin/mineral deficiency etc.

Most Alopecia comes under an Auto Immunce disease, and just recently they have found the gene which has surprisingly been linked with Arthritus, Diabetes 1, and Caeliacs disease.

As far as treaments, there are a few that can work, but not for everyone:

Minoxidil or Rogaine, is a rub on fluid, steriod injections straight into the scalp, or irritants..

Do be aware if you are of childbearing age, you must research the above, as some will affect the fertility of the women using them.

Alternative therapies have been shown to be more successfull, with Aromatheraphy being the leader of the pack. Aberdeen Infirmary did a study using aromatheraphy oils which showed some good results in Alopecia Areata. Another was a aromatherphy recipe by Melanie Von Zabuesnig who regrew her hair back from Alopecia Univarlis. Pm me if you want the recipes, they are on the LHC somewhere but I dont have the links.

I have found good nutrtion, massage, Balayam (nail rubbing), hot compresses, relaxation have had a great help.

I have Alopecia Univarlis - total body hair loss - and since starting to research and eatting better I have some regrowth even if it is minor for the first time in 6 years.

With nutrtion you need to eat a lot of protein, biotin, vitamin c rich foods. The best of these beings eggs, cheese, spinach, swiss chard, nuts, diary, and watercress. With watercress you do need to be careful of its intake due to its very high vitamin a levels and other things it contains.

In the long run, there are things that work for some but not for others. Its about trying everything to find out what works. It takes 3 months to find out if anything is working for your hair so its a long process.

This forum is a hive of knowledge, I suggest you look up MSM, and Monistat.

The medical profession is restricted so will not tell you about any alternative study that works. I have just started this week trialing spiritual hands on self healing, so we will see in a few months if its working.

I would Love the recipies!

songofthebride
February 9th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Hi i am new and have dread locs and quite suddenly they got real!!!! thin as in up top hanging on by a thread.. im going to the doctor next week as i have also noticed recent ( last two months) menstral changes... also im thinking about trying " Hair Essentials Growth Pills" i saw they had a lot of positive comments.. any body tried this??? im eating more protein and cutting sweets... im desperate, did not grow locs just to lose them

Othala
February 9th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Ketozonazole (e.g. in Nizoral shampoo) is an anti-androgen. You might want to give that a go.