PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me find a...

CarpeDM
February 1st, 2011, 05:28 PM
The last few nights my hair has been getting pulled while I sleep, so I started thinking about finding some sort of sleeping cap that would confine all of my hair at night. Can anyone recommend a good one to get? Perhaps a silk one? Something comfy and not too tight? Any help is much appreciated!

AspenSong
February 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
I got mine at Wal Mart (after looking for months!) - It's a Satin one, stretchy and comfy and I found it in the Ethnic hair section for $2! LOVE it!! My hair wasn't usually super tangly if I braided it overnight, but now....I don't have a single tangle. It's awesome!

podo
February 1st, 2011, 05:45 PM
I'll be watching this thread! I've tried various sleep caps but either they are so tight they hurt and leave marks that don't go away until lunchtime, or they fall off during the night.

Until TBL I put my hair in a braid at night, off to my left side - or sometimes in 2 braids, depending on how I was wearing it before that and how much time I give myself to put it up. Then I discovered someone's nighttime routine on YouTube and started using a caterpillar braid. It's SOOO much faster and actually tangles less than a braid, and doesn't give me braid waves.

I have a body pillow on my left side, DH on my right, and snoring kitty either on top of me or on the body pillow. I tuck my tail between my satin-covered pillow and the body pillow if I'm on my back or my left side; if I roll to my right side it just lays behind me somewhere. When I roll back I just flip it back into position. I've been doing this for so long that it's part of my habit when I change position while I'm asleep (which happens at least 6-7 times every night, if not a lot more).

But the idea of a cap has always interested me, so maybe someone will have some good ideas....

CarpeDM
February 1st, 2011, 06:13 PM
I'll be watching this thread! I've tried various sleep caps but either they are so tight they hurt and leave marks that don't go away until lunchtime, or they fall off during the night.

Until TBL I put my hair in a braid at night, off to my left side - or sometimes in 2 braids, depending on how I was wearing it before that and how much time I give myself to put it up. Then I discovered someone's nighttime routine on YouTube and started using a caterpillar braid. It's SOOO much faster and actually tangles less than a braid, and doesn't give me braid waves.

I have a body pillow on my left side, DH on my right, and snoring kitty either on top of me or on the body pillow. I tuck my tail between my satin-covered pillow and the body pillow if I'm on my back or my left side; if I roll to my right side it just lays behind me somewhere. When I roll back I just flip it back into position. I've been doing this for so long that it's part of my habit when I change position while I'm asleep (which happens at least 6-7 times every night, if not a lot more).

But the idea of a cap has always interested me, so maybe someone will have some good ideas....

I've tried braiding my hair at night, but when I sleep I sleep with my hands at my head and I keep accidentally rubbing and pulling my scalp hair throughout the night when I move around...:disbelief

jaine
February 1st, 2011, 07:34 PM
I have two silk bonnets that I like:

http://prettywrap.com/index.php?cPath=22 - This one has a smaller cap and a tighter fit. That can be good because my hair doesn't move at all after I bunch it up in there so I can use it to set my hair into a shape. If I tie it behind my neck then it doesn't fall into my eyes during the night (which can be painful)

http://prettyanntoinets.com/category_7/Bonnets.htm (the charmeuse one) - this one has a bigger cap and a looser fit. I like it but sometimes the elastic band works its way down over my forehead and into my eyes while I'm sleeping - that can be painful on my eyes. But for someone with a lot more hair than me I think it would work, especially if your hair is very fluffy and can fill the cap so that it doesn't come down over your forehead.

I also have this one (a girl can't have enough sleeping caps, right??) and it looks very chic. But I only end up using it during the day for wind protection or just lounging around the house, because the knit fabric would catch on my hair if I wear it while I'm sleeping. Even though it is silk it has a very different texture.
http://prettyanntoinets.com/category_8/Loc-Covers.htm

CarpeDM
February 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM
That's great, thanks! I'm leaning towards the loc cover because I don't like any elastics around my head or anything tight, but when you say it catches your hair, what do you mean exactly?

scorpio_rising
February 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
jaine, thanks so much for linking to that website!

CariadA
February 1st, 2011, 08:23 PM
I use an old silk scarf. I tie it in a "rosie the riveter" style every night. It actually looks really cute. I have a purple polka dot one I got a year ago from lands end. I got a pink and white one to keep in my travel bag from ebay.

CarpeDM
February 1st, 2011, 08:24 PM
I got mine at Wal Mart (after looking for months!) - It's a Satin one, stretchy and comfy and I found it in the Ethnic hair section for $2! LOVE it!! My hair wasn't usually super tangly if I braided it overnight, but now....I don't have a single tangle. It's awesome!

I will check this out the next time I am at Walmart TX!

CarpeDM
February 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM
"I use an old silk scarf. I tie it in a "rosie the riveter" style every night. It actually looks really cute. I have a purple polka dot one I got a year ago from lands end. I got a pink and white one to keep in my travel bag from ebay."

Hmmmm this idea did come to mind, however I am not particularly adept at working a scarf around my head. When I have tried in the past the scarf either slips off my head within minutes or if I tie it tighter I end up with ring around the forehead. I feel like Goldilocks, I'm looking for one that fits just right!