PDA

View Full Version : Dianyla's Seperation Technique?

Anywhere
February 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM
I read about this while searching the archives, but it only mentioned the name. I can't even remember what I was looking at originally, and I've spent the past hour or so trying to get a clear picture of what it is. (All the links to the articles/journals on the archives don't work, even when i change it to archive.longhaircommunity, it requires a login). I tried finding it on Dianyla's profile but couldn't.

I found an archived thread that said it was complicated and needed pictures from the article, but then I saw posts within it that say its just separating hair with a hairstick... so for clarification purposes:

1. Is this done on wet or damp or dry hair?
2. Do I separate it all the way down or just at the scalp (since its for volume)?
3. How many times to I separate it?
4. Its like a grid pattern, right? I do it both ways?

misstwist
February 1st, 2011, 04:39 PM
Um, are you talking about the braid that starts at the crown?

I think TorrinPaige shows it in a tutorial called something like faux French braid.

There is a thread or article on that braid around here somewhere. Maybe somebody else can help you dig it up.

Anywhere
February 1st, 2011, 04:40 PM
Um, are you talking about the braid that starts at the crown?.

I don't think it was a braid, it was some technique to get volume at the roots so that the hair didnt appear to have the helmet head that my hair tends to do if I leave it be.

enfys
February 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33525

This is the thread about it from the archives, but I can't access the link to the full instructions.

There are written instructions one the last post of the first page.

HTH

Delila
February 1st, 2011, 04:53 PM
As I remember, it's just a technique to get volume at the roots.

My memory is fuzzy, but I remember just using a hairstick to sort of lift/part my damp (not wringing wet) hair from a variety of directions. Basically, run the hairstick across your head from left to right: ear to ear, temple to temple, across the top of your head, left front to right rear, left temple to behind the right ear, right front to left rear, right temple to behind the left ear.

Dianyla had a picture in her blog, not sure it's still there.

ETA: Oh! I'd posted in that older thread, guess I kind of remember what I used to do, LOL! It's harder to explain than it is to do.

Anywhere
February 1st, 2011, 04:58 PM
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33525

This is the thread about it from the archives, but I can't access the link to the full instructions.

There are written instructions one the last post of the first page.

HTH

That's helpful, thanks. :flower:
It answers all but the "part all the way down or no?" question.

As I remember, it's just a technique to get volume at the roots.

My memory is fuzzy, but I remember just using a hairstick to sort of lift/part my damp (not wringing wet) hair from a variety of directions. Basically, run the hairstick across your head from left to right: ear to ear, temple to temple, across the top of your head, left front to right rear, left temple to behind the right ear, right front to left rear, right temple to behind the left ear.

Dianyla had a picture in her blog, not sure it's still there.

ETA: Oh! I'd posted in that older thread, guess I kind of remember what I used to do, LOL! It's harder to explain than it is to do.

so I'm assuming I don't part all the way down from your description here? I feel like it would make tangles if I didn't. :ponder: I checked her blog here and saw no picture of it.

Bluegrass Babe
February 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I was looking for braid help and came across this thread. This is the tutorial I had in mind while doing my search. The pics are gone now but the instructions are pretty helpful. Hope it helps you, too.
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=23652 (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=23652)

ETA: I think I misunderstood - you meant the root fluffing technique while airdrying, right? That article was deleted :(

Toadstool
February 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
You don't mean "Dianyla's English braid"??

Anywhere
February 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
No I do not mean the braid, I mean the root fluffing. I'm sorry if I got the name misunderstood, I saw it referenced in a thread or a blog saying it helped get rid of the "slicked back helmet head" that the person usually got when drying their hair. Not sure if I confused the name or not.. :oops:

enfys
February 14th, 2011, 04:02 PM
No, you got the right name I'm sure, since that's what the thread i found called it. Maybe PM or leave a visitor message for Dianyla asking if she can offer any help/pictures/a current article? I think she's away a lot but she might see it next time she pops by.

I'm quite intrigued now!