PDA

View Full Version : Seeking updo advice for 8YO niece

sibiryachka
February 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM
My niece's hair is about BSL, maybe 2c/3a - she's a mixed chick!:p - and little-kid fine like spiderwebs. Recently she's been expressing an interest in wearing buns, maybe getting a little bored with her usual braids or half-up. So, I will be called upon to give some "Updos 1A" lessons in the near future, for both her and her daddy who usually does her braids.

I'm not so much stumped about which updos to show them - I'm thinking cinnabun and peacock twist to start with - but when I think about what to use to secure them, it gets tricky. This is a very active, impatient Aries almost-8-year old who runs and plays soccer and jumps around a lot. I don't want to add "hairpins all over the place" to what her parents already have to deal with! I foresee a LOT of lost/missing hairtoys in her future, so they'll need a budget-friendly solution. So far the only idea I've had is a trip to Claire's for reasonably priced plastic sticks/forks/claw clips.

Suggestions, anyone? What's worked for you and your little longhairs? TIA for the help!

SheaLynne
February 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
My dd is probaby a 2c/3a as well, and her hair is past tb at age 6. We have stopped using any kinds of sticks or hairpins due to her losing them. Five to six little mini clips hold a cinnabun great. We do alot with braids and no-metal ponytail holders. This is a great site for some fun ideas...http://www.princesshairstyles.com/2009/01/princess-style-floating-braid-with.html

We also use the American Girl book on hairstyles for the Am. Girl dolls, but use the styles on dd....haha

Madora
February 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
Another thing to consider is how safe would it be for hairsticks, if she's as active as you say.

Would her school permit hairsticks or forks?

sibiryachka
February 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Another thing to consider is how safe would it be for hairsticks, if she's as active as you say.

Would her school permit hairsticks or forks?

Excellent question; thanks for raising it! We'll have to check into that.

Yeah, I'm thinking hairsticks are a setup for disaster, except maybe for special dress-up occasions. Multiple small claw clips might be just what the doctor ordered, and I'm pretty sure she already has quite a few on hand.

This is just what I was needing - keep the advice coming, please! :p

skyblue
February 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM
they have little claw clips that should hold a bun on her, they are cheap so losing them is no biggy, you can find them everywhere so finding them won't be a problem and they work really well I use them to hold my buns at work

torrilin
February 1st, 2011, 03:58 PM
It doesn't take a lot of hairpins to hold a style securely. It *does* take practice. And hairpins do have the advantage of being *cheap*. Even if her hair works best with fairly heavy U shaped pins, it's still going to be under $10 for a huge package. Soft cloth scrunchies are also a good way to hold an updo, and she can wear a spare on her wrist as a just-in-case measure. I'd figure on maybe $20 a year for nice hair things being totally reasonable, especially for a kid who loses stuff.

At age 8, she's old enough to start putting up her hair herself. BSL length might not be long enough proportionally for her to do the super-secure updos... BSL on me at 8 might have been 20" or even less, and BSL now is about 26-32". If you present it as being a Big Girl thing to do her own hair, and something that takes practice, she'll probably take to it very well.

Torrin Paige and Hypnotica's videos have been very helpful for me, and they might be a good resource for a young girl... especially since Torrin talks about how she has to practice to learn new styles before she makes a video. I can't really think of anything in them that would be objectionable for a little girl, and I do think it's good for her to get the idea that it's normal to take care of her own hair. There might be other videos with women who have hair more like hers, so that might be a good thing to look for.

sibiryachka
February 1st, 2011, 04:16 PM
My sister laughed at me when I told her I was putting this question out here. I can't wait to show her this thread! We'll see who laughs last...

She brought up another concern about hairpins: Their pair of 5-month-old kittens, who have already found every hairtie that ever went missing in that house before their arrival:D I'm sure they'd think bobby pins are also excellent prey!

Blandine
February 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM
I'd start with Flexi8's. There is less danger of accidents and injuries for an active child with those than with sticks and forks. They are lightweight, close to unbreakable (at least you'd have to try very hard), and hold well. The stick is connected with the "8" thus cannot be lost. All metal pieces are well rounded, and the stick is short. Most buns that can be done with sticks can also be done with Flexis, without any hair pins and such. And they look pretty with those glittering beads.

Bluegrass Babe
February 1st, 2011, 04:31 PM
Some styles at cutegirlshairstyles.com (http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/)are just for daddies! But if her daddy can braid, he can do them all. The girl in the videos has straight hair but I think they can be done on curly hair too. I love the holiday styles!

ETA: SheaLynne - Those Princess hairstyles look awesome!

julliams
February 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Flexi-8 all the way. They hold my buns in really well. If she has come curl in her hair, it means it should have less slip (I'm guessing) and may well hold up beautifully. I would go with a small or medium depending on how fine her hair really is. All you can do is buy a couple and try out what works for her.

OperaTeacherMom
February 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Goody Spin Pins!! They work at just about any length, you may need a few more as you get longer though.

jasper
February 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM
Here is another vote for jaw clips, mini or otherwise.

If you start with buns that have a ponytail or braid secured with elastic, then her hair will stay reasonably tidy even if she bounces the bun loose before the day is over.

RadiantNeedle
February 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
As far as the kitty problem goes, maybe find a pretty box for your niece to put all her 'special hair things' in, and encourage the habit of taking the pins or clips from the box, putting them in her hair, and then putting them straight back into the special box when she takes her hair down.
Maybe a colourful tin for pins that can be put into the special box along with her scrunchies and ties and clips?

podo
February 1st, 2011, 05:56 PM
I was thinking claw clips until I saw the Flexi suggestion.. now I think Flexi would be best, though they aren't the most inexpensive things around. Start with lots of claw clips, and as torrilin suggested, work on the idea that doing her own hair is what big girls do... and if she wants all the other girls to oooh and aaaah over her hair and hairstyles, she needs to prove that she is responsible enough to 1) consistently take care of her hair and 2) keep track of her hairtoys. THEN start with the Flexis (ok, maybe get a couple for now so she can see how great they are).

On that note, I have a few smaller Flexi-8s that I'd be willing to part with for a good cause. I'll be cheaper than the regular store too. (Trades are definitely welcome, or pay a bit plus shipping.) Send me a PM if you're interested.

Come to think of it... I have a whole PILE of hairtoys that are in the lot to go to the trash or charity, and you'd be welcome to them (if you'll pay shipping please?) - mostly clips and bands... things that looked neat in the store but got home and went.. meh...

Another idea - um.. I forget what they're called, but they're the things that help you make buns. You put your hair in the middle, slide it to the end, roll it under or over, then snap the metal parts (inside the material) and it puts it in a neat bun. You can make all kinds of pretty buns - AND they're extremely secure AND they're easy to use AND the kitties won't destroy them! (And I have some that I keep hoping will magically work that never do...)

Yeah, PM me... ;)

tameriska
February 2nd, 2011, 03:48 AM
I havent tried the first one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Magic-Bun-Hair-Twist-Styling-Maker-Clip-Spin-Swirl-Pin-/300515629817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8209af9

But I do have some of these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10Spiral-Spin-Pin-Hair-Clip-Stick-French-Twist-Barrette-/390285680488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aded6df68

( I cant remember if I have bought from these particular sellers, just random ebay listings to show what I meant)

If you do play on ebay, this http://toolhaus.org/ is an invaluable site for me, copy and paste the sellers id, and all the negative and neutral feedback will show up - I have changed my mind on purchasing from a couple of sellers through this

Pierre
February 2nd, 2011, 05:58 AM
I third the Flexis. I wear them all the time. Also, being a curlywurly, I suggest braided buns or other braided updos. I washed yesterday, then went to work with my hair down and some Flexis in my pockets, then braided my hair during a break and secured the ends with the tiny Flexis. I slept with the braids in a Buff and am going to make some updo with them.

lapushka
February 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
Back when I was an active child, growing my hair, my mom kept it in high pigtails *every single day*, for school. The pigtails didn't move throughout the whole entire day, they were that tight, and it was necessary (think of gym!). There was the odd occasion when she would do a high bun (classical ballet bun, yes with hairnet and all) or a high braided bun (trust me: not good for gym, think of forward rolls). My hair ended up being classic length and it never stopped me from doing things. Pigtails were just *the* easiest style. Hairsticks would've been terrible for all sorts of reasons, most of all safety. Also, going to school, you really don't want to use the fancy stuff (it either gets stolen or lost), and be aware that there's school activities like gym. It has to be practical at that age, first and foremost. I'd leave the fancy stuff (toys and styles) for the weekends. Starting by teaching her to do her pigtails herself, so she can rearrange them after gym class is priceless.

Apart from that, she could wear any style that's mentioned on these boards.

patienceneeded
February 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
I would go with the flexi8 or little claw clips for an active little girl. If her Daddy can braid the hair before it goes up, it would give some extra-security to the updo (or at least give the clippies something substantial to clip). My DD's hair is slippery, and slides out of every type of barrette/clip/ponytail I have found...unless I braid it first.