PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Monistat Users - Miconazole shampoo!

Bluegrass Babe
February 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
First off - I didn't read thru the entire Monistat thread, so apologies to all if this has already been mentioned.

While looking for a particular shampoo for our "little princess", I stumbled upon this - 2% miconazole nitrate shampoo (http://www.southernagriculture.com/southag/product.asp?dept_id=3027&pf_id=PAAAIAFPIHIKBNHL&ad_id=bizrate&key_id=2731_MiconazoleShampoobyDavisManufacturing) .

Has anyone tried it or anything similar? Hubby said he'd be willing to try it if we bought it at a pet store (he doesn't want to order online). He was a good sport and let me experiment on him with the cream, but he hasn't used it for months. This seems more convenient and less messy. Any thoughts?

Kaelee
February 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
I would try it if I didn't have doubts as to possible long- term effects of miconizole nitrate...does anyone know?

ddiana1979
February 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM
OMG. You're a genius. I feel so dumb, because I've had Virbac Dermazole Shampoo (http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Dermazole-Shampoo-8oz/dp/B00076HSRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296600124&sr=8-1) and a 1% miconozole spray sitting with my other doggy supplies for my itchy standard poodle for months. My fiancé (who is a vet) recommended it to me.

Same basic shampoo you listed (also with 2% MN), just a different brand. I'm going to try it.

ETA: In case anyone is curious, Chandler (the poodle) had some bare patches, and after using the shampoo about 3 times (once per week), and the spray once a day, his hair grew back in quite thickly (and a darker black, oddly. . . maybe just darker because it hasn't been exposed to sunlight bleaching yet?).

Messyhair
February 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
I would think that the shampoo wouldn't be as effective as the cream since it doesn't have a lot of contact time with the scalp. Same as acne washes aren't as effective as the cream versions with the same ingredient.

Bluegrass Babe
February 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I would think that the shampoo wouldn't be as effective as the cream since it doesn't have a lot of contact time with the scalp. Same as acne washes aren't as effective as the cream versions with the same ingredient.

I also was wondering if this would be the case. But leaving it on for a minute or two before rinsing along with repeated use may only take longer for it be effective compared with the cream, maybe?

As for long term use on MN, I was hoping some users from the other thread would chime in if they had any. I have only heard of short term effects of tingling and headaches with the first couple of applications.

ddiana1979 - Glad to hear it worked so well. My Bella has webbed feet so water wasn't draining from between her toes! Hopefully MN will clear up her itchies soon. That is if I can remember to dry between her toes every time she gets wet.:rolleyes: