PDA

View Full Version : What does your color treated hair like/dislike?

honeyblonde
February 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Hi all!! Just a question for those who color their hair, especially those who lighten it. :scared:

What does your hair like/dislike? My color treated hair likes:

Sulfate free shampoo, cones, olive oil, avocado, castor oil, Pantene smooth vitality conditioner, Garnier anti frizz serum.

It dislikes: Protein, sulfate shampoos, clarifying shampoos.

Is it strange that my hair likes cones but does not like to be clarified. :confused:

Anywhere
February 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM
my color treated and natural hair (growing it out) tend to like different things. My natural hair LOVES coconut oil and gets a bit greasy looking with EVOO but my color treated hair doesn't like coconut oil, it just gets greasy looking and crunchy feeling sometimes. It loves EVOO and feels so soft when I use it though.

I think my color treated hair liked cones (I used to CO with coney conditioners) but it hates shampoo of any kind. It also seems to be fond of protein.

honeyblonde
February 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Anywhere, thanks for your reply!! :D I agree with you, my virgin hair liked coconut oil, not working for me anymore :(

BrightEyes
February 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
My color treated hair does not like coconut oil either. It gets very lank and greasy. But that may because it's so fine too.:rolleyes:

My hair is highlight/low lighted and it loves cones, sulfate free shampoo and very moisturizing conditioners. It likes proteins, but not too often. It loves to be shampooed less and worn up more. It loves NightBlooming's Vegan Panacea (yum!). And I always get great results when I scrunch a little Jessicurl Gelebration Spray in and air dry. And oh yeah, my hair hates brushes!

DTsgirl
February 1st, 2011, 05:56 PM
Coconut oil. Sucks it down like crazy. Protein and lots of moisture. Garnier Triple Nutrition, Organix Coconut Conditioner are favorites. Just picked up Aussie Moist to give it a shot. Also so when the AWESOME huge pump bottle is empty, I can refill it. Love the pump. So easy. Cones are good. I don't clarify very often. I don't get the symptoms that indicate the need.

Pear Martini
February 1st, 2011, 06:05 PM
My hair loves cones (dry remedy by aveda and sometimes damage remedy).

Protein in moderation.

Coconut oil treatments.

Stretching washes. The longest I can go is 5 days, and thats stretching it. The most I will wash it is every other day.

Leave in conditioner.

It dislikes too much protein and hair mousses (makes my hair so dry!)

I used wen before I highlighted (I still had dye in my hair though) and it made my hair so silky and perfect. I'm thinking about getting back into it, but I don't know if it will be good for my highlighted hair.

Malibu Barbie
February 1st, 2011, 06:17 PM
I do the shampoo and conditioner, I towel dry. I use argan oil sometimes and other times I use a silk infusion really depends on the way my hair feels. My hair dislikes washing everyday and some leave on conditioners because they can leave it sticky. I haven't tried coconut oil so I haven't a opinion on it yet.

Pear Martini
February 1st, 2011, 10:00 PM
Wow, Malibu. If thats you in your avatar you have amazing, healthy looking bleach blonde hair. I know you posted things you hair likes, but whats your secret? :D

justgreen
February 1st, 2011, 10:18 PM
I think it's a given that no one's hair likes clarifying. It's harsh on the hair, opens up the cuticle, etc.

That said, it is necessary from time to time, even if you don't use cone products. You can get build-up from other products and have problems with hard water.

My hair hates most sulphate free stuff with the exception of the new L'oreal Everpure which I've been using for quite some time now. I also use Nature's Gate Original Herbal Shampoo and Conditioner. Redkin Anti-Snap Leave-In .

Malibu Barbie
February 1st, 2011, 10:30 PM
Wow, Malibu. If thats you in your avatar you have amazing, healthy looking bleach blonde hair. I know you posted things you hair likes, but whats your secret? :D

Thank you, I don't bleach I color and yes, that is my hair in the picture. I was always a natural blonde. Blondes get darker as they age I started coloring my hair in my 30's. My hairdresser is the one you want to talk to. She does the coloring and picks out my hair routine. It is possible to have nice hair even if you color it.

Shermie Girl
February 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
My hair, coloured or no likes: Sulphates, cones, jojoba and coconut oils, protein, being blown dry.

It hates: Sulphate free shampoo of any kind, vinegar. :D

honeyblonde
February 2nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks all!!

You ALL have beautiful hair!! Very encouraging!! Wow... Malibu Barbie......you are my new hair Idol!!!! Your hair is :thudpile:

Nymph
February 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM
My hair likes: sulfate free shampoo (actually, the scalp likes), cones in moderation, a small amount of protein now and then, ktani's movie star shampoo recipe, jojoba oil, shea butter, misting

My hair dislikes: eggs, heavy cones, SLES

Shermie Girl
February 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks all!!

You ALL have beautiful hair!! Very encouraging!! Wow... Malibu Barbie......you are my new hair Idol!!!! Your hair is :thudpile:

I second that! Her hair is amazing! :D

Johanna
February 4th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Only my bottom half of my hair is coloured. It doesn't like coconut oil at all. Crunchy!
It loves watered down Pantene and head and shoulders though. It also loved honey treatments, and SMT's are it's BFF.

ravenreed
February 4th, 2011, 03:21 AM
My color treated hair loves my CO routine, coconut or camellia oil, catnip and ACV rinses. It needs the occasional SLS clarifying even on the length. It hates protein.

Lianna
February 4th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Likes: SLS, olive oil, grapeseed oil, shea butter, cammomile tea, BBB

Dislikes: coconut oil, too much protein, honey, henna

Neutral: cones, ACV rinses, eggs, sweet almond oil, CO

A little bit of gel on top to smooth bangs is okay, not all through the hair.

ooo
February 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM
my colour treated hair likes just like what my virgin hair likes. c/o. the only difference is, that the bleached hair wants a bit of extra leave in. I use sheabutter and lush R&B at the moment.

SummerSkye
February 4th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Head and Shoulders original shampoo, I don't have dandruff but my very tempremental hair seems to be ok with this. It also quite likes Aussie leave -in conditioner spray and a tiny amount of macadamia nut oil as a deep conditioning treatment.

Malibu Barbie
February 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I second that! Her hair is amazing! :D

Thanks all!!

Thank you! I'm blushing

rosek
February 5th, 2011, 02:02 AM
My coloured hair likes cones. It dosent mind no-cones, but loves cones too!

Maddy_T
February 5th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Grapeseed Oil and Aloe Vera Gel!! Mixed together and a pea size amount applied!. Best hair ever!.

Babyfine
February 5th, 2011, 08:56 AM
My hair is both color-treated and babyfine and I've yet to experience protein buildup. My hair really seems to like and need PT's. But I balance with moisturizing treatments. I also shampoo 2-3 times a week so maybe also that's why the protein doesn't seem to build-up.