PDA

View Full Version : Any wurlies with bangs?

Annalise
January 31st, 2011, 09:22 PM
I have a heart shaped face, which basically means that I have a prominent forehead and a pointy chin. When I wear my hair up, the obnoxious forehead takes center stage, and I look much uglier than I actually am. I should really have bangs.

I've known this for awhile, but my last time I had bangs cut (ten years ago) they didn't work. They were too thin and too short and I just had a frizz ball hanging on my face. I had thicker bangs as a little girl, and they weren't frizzy, although they were usually brushed out straight. They looked nice, though.

About six years ago I had a really short haircut, and the front could be considered bang length. The shortness caused me to lose most of my wave, but I apparently have cowlicks, so the haircut looked terrible.

So, I'm thinking that longer side-swept bangs might look nice. But I'm worried that they won't look nice wavy, and I'll end up having to flat iron them. I suppose that wouldn't be too bad, since they'll only be a few inches long, and therefore be cut frequently. But the rest of my hair has pretty much never been heat-styled, so the idea makes me sad.

But if they're completely unworkable, It'll take several years to grow them out, and quite frankly, I'd probably end up cutting back to chin length when they get that far and going back to blow-fry and flat iron.

Does anyone have bangs? Or better yet, pictures of those bangs? Trying to use Google is useless, since "wavies" with bangs simply have the length curled and/or the bangs straightened.

jasper
February 1st, 2011, 05:05 AM
I have had bangs my whole life and only recently got to grips with the idea than my hair is not straight. Not curly by any means, but enough to make bangs act up.

My mother always said my hair was straight except for two little unexpected and uninvited curls that would make my bangs flip up like horns on either side. Well, those waves are actually everywhere, but got brushed and dried straight most of the time or permed and heat styled the rest of the time.

But anyway, I have thick cut and fairly long bangs. They will behave if I comb them into position while drying and if not, I re-wet them or if really frustrated I will try a large barrel curling iron on them-- that curling iron gets hardly any use-- I think I've used it for smoothing the cuffs of my supposed-to-be wrinkle free pants more often.

This picture in an album has bangs, but it is dark. Maybe you can see them trying to kick up a little horn to the right side. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5639&pictureid=73569

GeoJ
February 1st, 2011, 05:25 AM
I cut bangs into my hair about 15 years ago. For me it was a bad idea. I could blow dry them straight, use a hot iron, and add some product to help them stay straight; but within a couple of hours they would go back to wavy bangs flipping out in odd directions. I promptly gave up and grew them out. My hair has always been styling-resistant.

My face doesn't need bangs, so they were a novelty anyway. But, I didn't have a problem abusing my bangs while treating the rest of my hair nicely (it was waist length at that time). They were short, and (if kept) would have been frequently trimmed.

Eire
February 1st, 2011, 05:40 AM
I have a heart shaped face and wavy hair as well. I tried bangs, and they did look nice, but I'd have to straighten them every day for them to behave, and they'd tend to start hanging lankly. After trying front bangs, side bangs, etc. I eventually just decided to grow them out and wear my hair on a side part. This helps to take attention away from the forehead.

thisischristine
February 1st, 2011, 05:44 AM
Have you experimented with a deep side parting instead? I keep cutting in and growing out bangs for the same reason, but a deep side part covers a fair bit of my forehead and is much lower maintenance than full on bangs.

Jimothea
February 2nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
Hi Annalise! I understand your dillema. I am a wavy/wurly with bangs. I've grown them out a little from my avatar (btw my hair is definitely straightened in that pic),but usually that's how I keep them, when I have them that is--fairly heavy, fairly deep into my head. My hair is very thin and my cowlicks (three in the front with one that is massive) need the weight of a heavier bang to lay nicely. I don't have a heart-shape, but I've got a block, lol, head and the bangs help feminize my features a bit....*grin*

I periodically get tired of them and do a grow-out, then miss them and wack them back into place...lol.

Here's my input:

Bangs seem to grow out quicker, especially if your hair is layered to make the grow-out less noticeable. Tired of them? Clippies, bang-twists, poofs, crown-braids, etc. can all get them out of your face until they are longer.
The upkeep isn't that bad, since you can trim them yourself.
To "do" your bangs without putting the Chi to them, you can stretch them nice and neat down your forehead while they are wet and bobbypin them into that position to dry while you make coffee/read the paper and whatnot. This is how I deal with the cowlicks and the wurls, lol, without frying my hair.If I remember I'll let my hair dry down tomorrow, with my bangs "done" and post a pic on here so you can get a visual, even though they're kinda longish now.

Happy decision making!

rhosyn_du
February 2nd, 2011, 01:32 AM
I've got wurly, side-swept bangs. They actually look quite cute as long as I cut them very long. When pulled straight, they're between the bottom of my mouth and my chin (depending on when I last cut them), and they curl up around my cheekbones. If I cut them shorter than the bottom of my mouth, they start looking messy and cowlick-y, but if I give them enough length to actually curl, they look great.

Avital88
February 2nd, 2011, 01:43 AM
Hii,, I'm a wurly and i have bangs.. Right now im growing them out, I can still brush them straight, My hair usually starts to curl from 6 inches or so, depends on the weather.but the past months i lost a lot of wurls(henna?)
So if you feel better with bangs you should def.try it out again,good luck!